User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 7:41:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I doubt it. I retired in 2009.

I have to suck up the food and fuel costs, but I don't spend much outside of that unless something breaks and needs replaced.
View Quote
retired?

still plenty of time for drinking, smoking, and fornicating with loose women.

Link Posted: 2/18/2022 7:41:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I sold my place, moved into a place with a fixed $500 rent, although I'll pay any property tax increases.

Working from home.

I don't eat fast food or prepared food from grocery stores or cafeterias.

I will probably will be ending my gym membership soon.

I will ask for a job progression, that should be a 10% raise. I'll probably get it since all the other people with my experience got sacked over the vaccines.
View Quote
how will you remain swole minus a gym membership?
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:34:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I sold my place, moved into a place with a fixed $500 rent, although I'll pay any property tax increases.

Working from home.

I don't eat fast food or prepared food from grocery stores or cafeterias.

I will probably will be ending my gym membership soon.

I will ask for a job progression, that should be a 10% raise. I'll probably get it since all the other people with my experience got sacked over the vaccines.
Once I am moved in, I will assess my options. Although my dwelling is small, I have say about use of the compound. As long as there's agreement and I pay for it. I'm going to see if I can get a home gym and infrared sauna installed somehow.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:39:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
NFTs
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:44:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
nothing really yet. i cut down on eating out and driving well before inflation was a problem. ive also moved the timeline of many projects. i dont want the money sitting around losing value.
View Quote

Yeah if I had savings for a project, I quit procrastinating.  Pulled the trigger on a some remodel work on the house. It will only cost more next year....

That is the shitty thing about inflation... it's permanent.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:57:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Bend over. That's about all you can do.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 12:10:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Bend over. That's about all you can do.
View Quote

Yes you can.  3 B's (or as Sherrick13 suggests, 4 B's).
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 12:12:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Once I am moved in, I will assess my options. Although my dwelling is small, I have say about use of the compound. As long as there's agreement and I pay for it. I'm going to see if I can get a home gym and infrared sauna installed somehow.
View Quote

https://www.t-nation.com/training/training-behind-bars-1

Link Posted: 2/19/2022 12:12:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Oh, you know, starting to build a house. Great timing and all.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 1:56:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Slowed down on eating out

Selling stuff we don’t need

Fewer impulse buys

Canceled gym membership

Link Posted: 2/19/2022 2:31:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Currently trying to treat cash as being toxic. Keep a small nest egg in case of an emergency but spend the rest as fast as possible before it looses more buying power.  Anything I know I’ll need in the next few years that doesn’t spoil is on the shopping list.  Normal hedges like PMs are already covered.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 2:41:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 2:59:46 AM EDT
[#13]
We haven't really done anything different.  Our household rarely spends money on anything other than food and gas. I have no debt own my house cabin and vehicles. We don't buy a lot of shit or go out to places that charge money so the impact has been minimal.  Probably gonna ask for a raise this year to make up for the new cost of food at least.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 3:26:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We cut way down on eating out/takeout.  Which helps with gasoline use, too.  That's it for us, so far.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/19/2022 6:08:59 AM EDT
[#15]
another thing I'm doing is switch to store brand diet sodas at 59-79 cents per 2 liter.  Used to wait and buy Pepsi when it was on sale for 99 cents, regular price is now $2.50.  

The new sales price for Pepsi is 4 for $5

Link Posted: 2/19/2022 7:07:34 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm migrating a chunk of my emergency fund into iBonds. Already have really low expenses, so just doing activities that don't cost much money.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 7:21:44 AM EDT
[#17]
I've really scaled back my Amazon purchase, especially anything and almost everything made in china
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 8:02:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm migrating a chunk of my emergency fund into iBonds. Already have really low expenses, so just doing activities that don't cost much money.
View Quote

Aren't I Bonds capped at a certain yearly amount which, IIRC, is pretty low?

I just sold a property and have to figure out what to do with that tranche of money……sitting in cash most certainly isn't the answer.

As to the OP's question in tangible terms I suppose the only action I took was to buy a property at a 2.3% interest rate, financing it 100% with no money down using my VA benefit.  So currently there's not only very substantial equity growth due to the current real estate market but also because of inflationary pressures.

Other than that not much. Fuel is certainly up, by perhaps 40%, from last year and food is as well but I haven't really changed my life-style.  I'm lucky enough to have a neighbor that's a butcher and has his own shop so I have good access to cheap meat.

I had hoped that ammo prices would come down and it looks like they are a bit so we'll see where that goes. I certainly have enough to shoot pretty hard for a few years but would like to rebuild the stash, when and if that opportunity arrises.

Also was looking at getting a new smaller camper, selling the old one and 1 ton truck and getting a Tundra. That might be on hold depending on what the dealer says.

Candidly, inflation is my biggest concern.

What concerns me is what's being illustrated quite clearly up with the Canadians.  Clearly the citizens of developed nations have been conditioned for 2 years to accept the actions of tyrants and many are doing just that.  

I feel lucky to live in TN.

Link Posted: 2/19/2022 11:32:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Of the nearly 30 years I’ve known my wife, we’ve been in what I call financial siege mentality for all but a couple of those years. It’s come in handy during the 3+ recessions of various degrees we’ve lived through.

Not crazy about it, it sucks, but I guess it helps. We have some nice conveniences but for example, we haven’t been to a restaurant in over 2 years, and we only do take out maybe a few (3-5 times) a year.

There are times when I think taking the blue pill and just being a gawping consumerist would be simpler. That’s just not me.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 11:45:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Time to buy some more canned goods for more than just inflation reasons.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 1:07:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Selling things on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist.
Going nowhere because of Gas Prices.
Stocking up certain canned items.
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 12:27:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I play the "gas point game" (e.g. buy 6 of a specific group of items get an extra 400 points) at my local grocer store, but only for stuff I purchase regularly anyway.

Cashed in just a few points last week to put gas in the Suburban...
Attachment Attached File

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top