Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/14/2016 7:51:12 AM EDT
We are in debt, we are getting deeper in debt. China owns a ton of that debt. I would have to think they will eventually get sick of IOUs. What can they do to get their money back?
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 7:52:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Why? They get interest payments.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 7:53:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
We are in debt, we are getting deeper in debt. China owns a ton of that debt. I would have to think they will eventually get sick of IOUs. What can they do to get their money back?
View Quote

The same as every other bond holder. They get interest payments and when the bond reaches maturity they get the principal back. Or they can sell them on the market.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 7:59:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Cash for clunkers....guess where the clunkers went.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 8:00:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Bonds. Learn about them.  

The debt is owed to the market.  They sell notes on the market.  China buys them. So what?  China can not get tired of IOUs as you are saying.  We do not go to China and borrow money.  We sell bonds.  China buys them because they are more stable than their currency or banks.  That will not change for at least a Half-century.  When it does change it will because of US devaluation.

Bonds are a good scam and we get the better end of them as the seller.

The debt is a problem.  It's just not a problem with China.  It's a problem because we are overspending.

If/when China ever stops buying more bonds the interest payments will go up, we devalue more, stay in the same place over time.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 8:01:31 AM EDT
[#5]
... foreclosure
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 8:03:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I think at 30bil a month in trade advantage....they are doing a great job.

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 8:03:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Maybe we can just call it even considering all the money China owes the USA.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 8:05:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Pretty significant amount of our debt is not owned by the Chinese -- it's owned by us.  Yes, that's right, we buy our own debt.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 8:06:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pretty significant amount of our debt is not owned by the Chinese -- it's owned by us.  Yes, that's right, we buy our own debt.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 8:09:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think Chinese own 8% or less.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 8:12:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

You do understand that taking on our debt is just a fee they are paying to do business with the US.

They know they'll never see that money again, all part of doing business with the US.

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 8:18:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's mind bogaling how few people understand the monetization of our debt and the inevitable ramifications.

The money lenders will suck this country dry and move on to the next, as they've always done. Probably within the next 100 years. I'm thinking India will be their next victim. I'm already hearing rumors of their infiltration into that culture. They already speak the language next step will be to start breeding with them to better fit in.

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 8:22:24 AM EDT
[#13]
We'll give them more Mission Impossible movies.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 8:23:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Us? or the federal reserve?
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 8:24:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

they can't we should double the size of our attack sub fleet and tell them to wank off.  but China is not our only debt holder Korea, Japan & other valued allies buy our debt too.  

I personally we should offer to pay off the debt in food we are the largest exporter of 25-39 crops or meats China exports toasters but not food.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 8:25:59 AM EDT
[#16]
You wake up one morning and all the Chinese restaurants are closed down until paid in full.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 8:26:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You wake up one morning and all the Chinese restaurants are closed down until paid in full.
View Quote

Don't even joke like that ...
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 8:28:40 AM EDT
[#18]
They can sell all that paper debt and buy physical gold. Then once they converted everything, come out with gold backed renminbi as dollar goes down drain

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 8:29:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Government has a printing press, therefore can't go bankrupt.

If China actually cashed in their bonds, they would have to spend the money on US shit, stimulating our economy.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 8:31:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Government has a printing press, therefore can't go bankrupt.

If China actually cashed in their bonds, they would have to spend the money on US shit, stimulating our economy.
View Quote

Well the federal reserve has the printing presses
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 8:32:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They can sell all that paper debt and buy physical gold. Then once they converted everything, come out with gold backed renminbi as dollar goes down drain

View Quote

Where do you all dream this kind of silliness up from?
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 8:33:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
... foreclosure
View Quote

We will have to give them California in a settlement.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 8:36:49 AM EDT
[#23]
It is all built on a house of cards with smoke and mirror windows..
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 8:45:43 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote
Not really.  Same philosophy as ever.

"Get to work peasant, or we will throw your family out on the street.  BTW, taxes due next week, we want half."

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 8:47:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Hitch up a big repo truck to Hawaii.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 8:55:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why do you assume that China holds "a ton of that debt"? I suppose it depends on what the definition of "a ton" is. It appears that China holds something less than 10 percent of our debt  . . .

http://www.businessinsider.com/who-we-owe-federal-debt-to-2013-10

https://www.nationalpriorities.org/campaigns/us-federal-debt-who/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikepatton/2014/10/28/who-owns-the-most-u-s-debt/#61d04ac51907
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 9:05:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
... foreclosure

Can we give them NYC too
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 9:40:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It's mind bogaling how few people understand the monetization of our debt and the inevitable ramifications.

The money lenders will suck this country dry and move on to the next, as they've always done. Probably within the next 100 years. I'm thinking India will be their next victim. I'm already hearing rumors of their infiltration into that culture. They already speak the language next step will be to start breeding with them to better fit in.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't consider US banks to be one of "us".
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 9:43:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
... foreclosure
View Quote

of a dream

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 9:43:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

How much physical gold is there in the universe to back a trillion dollar economy?
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 9:49:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Make me smart on the part in red, please.  I don't get it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 9:54:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Cash for clunkers....guess where the clunkers went.
View Quote

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/china-cold-open/n12611
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 9:57:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Why do you assume that China holds "a ton of that debt"? I suppose it depends on what the definition of "a ton" is. It appears that China holds something less than 10 percent of our debt  . . .
View Quote

10% of our debt is still a ton of debt. It is only small relative to our ridiculous amount of total debt.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 9:59:25 AM EDT
[#34]
seems they have been given some land in certain places of the US by the .gov.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

How much do we owe them, and how much is our payment?
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 10:01:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 10:02:05 AM EDT
[#37]
 The Chinese know T-bills are the shitz and deposited some of them with an American bank (Wells Fargo) as collateral for loans to buy real property in America.  What's the American banks going to do?  Say our money is the sh*tz and refuse to accept them?  
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 10:08:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, as of 2013...

http://www.factcheck.org/2013/11/who-holds-our-debt/

And to think in only three years our country has added over $2.25 trillion in new debt...were fucked
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 10:11:04 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote
Dump about $300B of UST on the open market in 2-3 hours. We would give them whatever they wanted after that.

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 10:13:57 AM EDT
[#40]
We gave them 400 billion in trade deficit last year alone. China is doing just fine

Now buy more.f35s

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 10:14:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Dump about $300B of UST on the open market in 2-3 hours. We would give them whatever they wanted after that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not really how it works.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 10:15:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yep, as of 2013...

http://cdn.factcheck.org/UploadedFiles/2013/11/Debt-Chart-531x355.png

And to think in only three years our country has added over $2.25 trillion in new debt...were fucked
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, as of 2013...

http://cdn.factcheck.org/UploadedFiles/2013/11/Debt-Chart-531x355.png

China owns less than that now.  They've been moving out of treasuries in recent months.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 10:27:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 10:35:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Why? They get interest payments.
View Quote

This.  Interest is forever.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 10:37:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're in an Arfcom thread about China owning our debt.  Did you expect panickers to know what they're talking about?
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 10:46:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Christ this thread is filled with stupid.

The biggest "debt" holder for the US is Social Security.

That is right. The USG sells SS its debt for cash now. It is beyond a ponzi scheme.

A total of 35% is held by foreign nations.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 10:51:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Brad Thor says China will deploy EMPs prior to launching an invasion, in order to collect. That is unless Scot Harvath can save the day.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 10:51:31 AM EDT
[#50]
As fucked up as our economy is, it's on bedrock compared to China.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top