Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/26/2022 7:49:51 PM EDT
Maybe we are spoiled in the modern age with indoor plumbing and access to clean water and soap.  I shower once a day at least,  If I go more than a day I start to feel filthy.  In the past I have been through hurricanes and had to go a few days without a shower or clean clothes.  Most of the time I could take a sponge bath of sorts.  That would work for awhile and was better then nothing.

How did people before indoor plumbing and access to clean water bathe?  From my reading of history, it seems that bathing was not done that often.  Once a month was average.  In the 1800's the average was increased to once a week.  In some parts of the world bath day was a all day long household affair.  One tub would be filled with water and the oldest person would go first.  Everyone would get a turn in the same dirty water (gross) according to age.  From oldest to youngest.  I wonder if the term "don't throw the baby out with the bath water" came from. I can't imagine living like that.  Maybe we really are spoiled today.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:51:04 PM EDT
[#1]
They smelled like mud butt.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:51:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Everyone went to the village well to draw water.  One day a month or so the wife heated a huge tub of water.  Father bathed first.  Then wife, then kids.  Same tub, same water.  Then the water was dumped outside onto the dirt.  Joy.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:52:20 PM EDT
[#3]
When everyone smells like ass you don't notice.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:53:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Skin gets dried out with soap and showering…that’s a trade-off.

Hair and skin stripped of oils.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:53:57 PM EDT
[#5]
It has been said that we'd be appalled at how bad their world smelled, and they'd be appalled at how loud ours is.  They probably had rocking immune systems though.

Roman's excepted!
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:54:53 PM EDT
[#6]
They died at 35 and buried 5 kids before one lived. Then it died at 10.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Just imagine eating a gal out back then.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:55:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Look at India.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Maybe we are spoiled in the modern age with indoor plumbing and access to clean water and soap.  I shower once a day at least,  If I go more than a day I start to feel filthy.  In the past I have been through hurricanes and had to go a few days without a shower or clean clothes.  Most of the time I could take a sponge bath of sorts.  That would work for awhile and was better then nothing.

How did people before indoor plumbing and access to clean water bathe?  From my reading of history, it seems that bathing was not done that often.  Once a month was average.  In the 1800's the average was increased to once a week.  In some parts of the world bath day was a all day long household affair.  One tub would be filled with water and the oldest person would go first.  Everyone would get a turn in the same dirty water (gross) according to age.  From oldest to youngest.  I wonder if the term "don't throw the baby out with the bath water" came from. I can't imagine living like that.  Maybe we really are spoiled today.
View Quote

I never understand the mindset of being "spoiled" because we enjoy the fruits of our labor, knowledge, and skills. What is spoiled about modern conveniences and indoor plumbing? Does not being "spoiled" mean popping a squat in the backyard?

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:57:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Hands, feet, and face were the only things getting regularly washed.

Actual baths would be weekly at most.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

There were less STDs back then

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:59:53 PM EDT
[#12]
during the cold months sweat lodge
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:00:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can't stand myself after a couple of days,  I can't imagine working in the fields all day or having to do dirty work day after day. Then not being able to get clean.  I guess the smell would be overpowering, but everyone else would smell the same.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:01:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:01:10 PM EDT
[#15]
My wife grew up in Bavaria in a tiny little town….3 homes.  

They had pump well in the kitchen and used honey pots.  There was a big tub downstairs and once a week they'd all take a bath. Her grandma would heat the water on the wood burning kitchen stove.  This was in the early 1970's
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:01:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:05:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Everyone went to the village well to draw water.  One day a month or so the wife heated a huge tub of water.  Father bathed first.  Then wife, then kids.  Same tub, same water.  Then the water was dumped outside onto the dirt.  Joy.
View Quote

Luckily.  That practice is not done anymore.  I can't even begin to think about how unsanitary that is. Every parent that I know today will do whatever is needed to bathe their small children in clean water.  The thought of sharing water is gross.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:05:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I shower once in the morning and once at night, I couldn't imagine not showering everyday.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:06:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#20]
As a child my Mother had to get 2 buckets of water from the well each morning. She then went to an elderly neighbors where she got them 2 pails and picked up hens eggs, for this she got a penny a day. She them walked to school. Hills of rural Tenn.

I had relatives that still had outhouses in the early 1980's.

Reading about how disgusting cities like New York were is quite interesting.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:07:16 PM EDT
[#21]
just cover it up with something that has a stronger smell.
that's why smelly stuff like frankincense and mur were so expensive.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:07:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hence the expression "Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater" because by then the water would be... opaque.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:07:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not enough bleach in the world.  Then again I would not expect a woman to go down on me either in those circumstances
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:08:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Everyone walked around exuding their natural essence.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:10:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is not really true.
It is true that infant mortality was high, and that drags down the average.
If you lived past about 5, you had a good chance of living pretty much as long as people do now.

I spent a lot of time researching my family tree. Most of them lived good long lives. There was the occasional one that died young, but then I have known people suffer the same fate during my lifetime.

There were a number of births recorded which never made it to the next birthday.
I only know of one that died aged 11. She died of gastro enteritis. Almost certainly something very easily cured these days.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:11:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not true. Of my ancestors through the 1700's and 1800's, many lived into their 80's. Large families with 7+ kids, one would die before they were 18 sometimes as an infant.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:12:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Well my uncle grew up really poor they only had cold  water in the house. Mom would heat up water over a wood stove and the daily bath was children oldest to youngest all 9 of them. They only brushed their teeth on holidays one toothbrush same situation. They used an outhouse when he was young.

When he was in high school they finally got hot water and he made a shower out of a hose in the bathroom that had a floor drain for the sink.

My mother said when she was really young they would go out to her grandparents farm house that did not have running water. Bathes were similar there too, except you had to get water from outside.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:13:28 PM EDT
[#28]
They did it because they didn’t know any different.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:14:27 PM EDT
[#29]
The smell had a hard time exuding through the outer crust. Same reason most of earth isn't covered in lava.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:15:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:20:45 PM EDT
[#31]
If you don't know how to keep yourself and family clean without running clean water now is probably a good time to learn.  The whores bath posted above works for me on back country hunting trips.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:21:48 PM EDT
[#32]
"slop jar"

Visited my grandmother's family in the early '50's.

If anyone had to pee in the middle of the night they used the slop jar.

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:22:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Your body adjusts.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:22:48 PM EDT
[#34]
What did they wipe their ass with?

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:23:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If you don't know how to keep yourself and family clean without running clean water now is probably a good time to learn.  The whores bath posted above works for me on back country hunting trips.
View Quote

Very true.  I do know how to do it,  I am also reading up all alternate ways of bathing.   I have a few different ways to shower without running water.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:28:03 PM EDT
[#36]
We’ve all seen westerns where a cowboy rides into town and falls for the hooker at the bar. Well that hooker doesn’t have easy access to a razor, probably has to pay for a bath, which she doesn’t take often, and has been ran through. Mmm seksee.

Longest I’ve gone is a about a bit over a week. Funky was a mild word. I now keep Dude Wipes with me and use them when camping.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:30:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What did they wipe their ass with?

View Quote
Wiping ass with dried corn cobs was a thing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:31:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:33:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Wiping ass with dried corn cobs was a thing.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:33:04 PM EDT
[#40]
I went 10 days without showering once.  What I learned is the first 6 or 7 days I felt progressively more gross.  And then something strange happened:  the gross feeling went away and I felt normal, good even.  Although I'm sure I smelled.

I believe it has to do with our skin's microbiome.  When we shower daily we radically disturb our natural skin microbiome.  Once we stop showering some microorganisms recover quickly and take over.  That "feels gross".  But given some time our biome finds an equilibrium, a balance where no one type of microorganism dominates.  And that balance feels pleasantly normal.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:33:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can smell you from here.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:35:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Enjoy your pheromone replacement therapy.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:37:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Rome had the right idea over two thousand years ago, but then they fell and everyone forgot about plumbing until recently. People were nasty for for thousands of years. Finally we got indoor plumbing in the 1900's.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:38:54 PM EDT
[#44]
No point in taking a bath every day, just going to get dirty again anyway, except on Saturday so you wouldn’t smell bad in church.

In Smokey And The Bandit, the scene where the motorcycle cop runs into the pond, a Trooper stops and asked “you alright?”, when the motorcycle cop said “I’m ok” the trooper replied, “boy, don’t you know it ain’t Saturday?”. I wonder how many people didn’t get the joke.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:40:00 PM EDT
[#45]
No concrete, no asphalt either .

Tv doesn't show the real dirt .

Death in ppls 40's
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:41:03 PM EDT
[#46]
You get used to the smell.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:45:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I will use lotion of something else if it becomes a problem.  I mean I already have lotion on one of hands
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:45:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Disgusting Viking "hygiene"

Edit
13th warrior was a great movie
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:47:10 PM EDT
[#49]
When I was a kid we lived on my Grandmother's farm in Ohio for awhile.

2-hole outhouse out by the barn.
A couple of chamber pots in the house.
A small handpump at the kitchen sink.
A large handpump outside the back door.
No shower.  A bath was water from the handpump warmed on a woodstove then dumped into a tub.

I don't remember it being a bad life.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:50:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tis true. My Mom and Dad only had two kids and neither of us made it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top