Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 11:25:15 AM EDT
[#1]
The flipside is direct injection 2000psi engine fires , carbon build up on intake valves , collapsed lifters , 4 cams and 87 valves , ....
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 11:28:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Low compression ratios
View Quote

Bingo,

Modern engines can sustain higher compression and higher revs.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 11:32:20 AM EDT
[#3]
camshafts have alot to do with that.Newer improved head designs too

Even though todays engines make great power id still take a nice built big block chevy with that rumble at a stop sign over a quiet smooth modern engine.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 11:33:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Modern computerized control systems.  Now it's higher compression, aluminum heads and blocks, some overhead cams.

A lot of computerized tuning allows an LT1 Chevy to make 495 Hp reliably from 6.2 liters
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 11:35:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

How in the hell is that even possible?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In 1976, Cadillac sold a 500 cubic inch (8.2L) V8 that made 190 horsepower. You read that right... Five hundred cubic inches for less than 200 hp.

Because it had a shitty 8:1 compression ratio and the cubic inches allowed it to make mountains of torque to move that car
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 12:02:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The flipside is direct injection 2000psi engine fires , carbon build up on intake valves , collapsed lifters , 4 cams and 87 valves , ....
View Quote

Broken cam phasers, inadequate oiling to turbos, shitty thermal management and staggering costs for replacement parts and ongoing maintenance come in to play.   This system is like a good prom date, guaranteed to fuck you coming and going...

When it goes it's going to sound like the caterpillar drive on the red october minus the cooling circuits.

Link Posted: 8/20/2023 12:06:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I passed up on 2 different 95 Cobra Rs back around 10 years ago.   I have always wanted one but at the time did not have the money for them.   They are highly collectible buggers now going for 60k+ for good ones.   I passed on one with like 25k miles in 2014 for 25k as I was saving for a Boss 302 but settled on my 2015 GT when I learned theybwere coming out.

What Ford delivered was a fairly modest car meant for SCCA racing.   It's rear gear of 3.27 was likely more of a speed per gear decision for road course as opposed to a drag racing acceleration decision.   On a road course the 3.27 with the torque from a 351 can likely push the car to 140-155 while keeping the driveline critical speed lower.  A 50 inch driveline spinning at 5000+rpm is getting into the range where drive line angles and harmonics cpuld be an issue.

Throw a 3.73 in there and watch it drop half a second for drag racing which it was never intended for.   If they had made a Cobra Jet offering it likely would have been 4:10s with no smig equipment and 13 second car.

Cobra Rs were still 50 state smog legal EPA fucked.

That 351 had mild heads and mild cams but even back then you could bump to near 400 with ease on heads and a cam.

Currently have 3 mustangs in the garage down from 4, all 4 were bought between 2013 and 2017 spanning SN95, SN197, S550 plus the 66.

The 95 Cobra is still passing Ca smog with 114k miles with nothing more than a cam swap to wake it up.   The little 302 with gears hit 14.1 @98.5 as configured and on shit suspension.   If the engine finally gets a rebuild there are CARB EO# parts that will let me hit 300+ hp.

My replacement engine I intended for the 95 wound up sitting for 4 years because I didnt want to deal with smog.     The DART block 331 now sits in my 66 and is 380whp at 6k rpm and is about all the 225/45-17 summer tires can endure.

All that talk about 80s/90s turbo 4s, well yeah ofcourse their power for displacement went up.  They were actually developing for those engines and learning things on how to make them breathe.     Factory efforts for the old generation of V8s was not there.

Sadly back then the constrictions of existing factory parts would not let power adders work as well as they could.  

Go do the same to a V8 that can breathe and what happens?   Richard Holdner will show you exactly what happens, a 9.5:1 compression ratio 500hp SBF 408 will go to 1k+ HP on 13 pounds of boost is what happens.

There are things about a SBF and SBC that cannot be denied, the aftermarket will easily let you build  350-400hp right in your garage depending on displacement for a 300-347 cuin motor.   500+ all day if playing with 351-427 motors.    

Things learned were what gave rise to the LS when Chevy wisely decided they could keep the engine simpler.

My 2015 Coyote is already pretty much tapped out.  Heads and intake improvements might get me closer to to 500hp but it is about all you are gonna get.   Cams are much more expensive because you need 4 of the stupid things.   You cannot bore/stroke the thing for shit.

As for the Coyote heads, something goes through your oil you wind up with fucked up bearing surfaces on your aluminum heads.   Atleast the SBF has bearings for both cam journals and crank that can be knocked out and you can service that block for a long time.

Then there is the Coyote timing chain tensioners and other possible concerns.

Then there is the damn size comparison.    The SBF is able to fit into things much more easily than the big fat fuckin Coyote, a SBF 427 stroker is a smaller engine than the Coyote.   Dollars spent on the 427 will likely yield more HP than same dollars spent on a Coyote.

There really is not a hell of a lot of advantage to the Coyote at the end of the day when looking at complexity and durability.

My 66 is running EFI and the tune has me rolling around 17mpg on the freeway.   If I am patient and drive like a grandpa I can get 12ish city on the current tune but my being an asshole gets me 9-10.   My Coyote gets around 13 city, freeway is admittedly better but then it can monitor things my EFI in the 66 cannot but I dont see better than maybe 22-23 hwy.

If I sprung for a more feature rich Holley model I could have added a drive shaft speed sensor and built a table for when drive line RPM is higher than Engine RPM it would recognize I was in overdrive.    That would let me skip to a low load cruising AFR/Ignition table and likely bump up over 20mpg.

If I ever bump to a better EFI setup I may go multiport with a cam position sensor and better crank trigger.   I could then build out a timing table that will allow for even better control.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:.

Not that things couldn't be done - Ford did a number of specials (and GM did better all round with their big lumps) that presaged the performance of next gen vanilla GTs and Cobras. The '95 SVT Cobra R made 300 pushrod hp for $33k -ish. Plenty of torque but it was still a 14 second car. 5 years later and $20k more you could score a '00 SVT Cobra R - 385 hp and 13.2. But Ford was always the rump mfg in the 90s performance contests, but often the cheapest.

I passed up on 2 different 95 Cobra Rs back around 10 years ago.   I have always wanted one but at the time did not have the money for them.   They are highly collectible buggers now going for 60k+ for good ones.   I passed on one with like 25k miles in 2014 for 25k as I was saving for a Boss 302 but settled on my 2015 GT when I learned theybwere coming out.

What Ford delivered was a fairly modest car meant for SCCA racing.   It's rear gear of 3.27 was likely more of a speed per gear decision for road course as opposed to a drag racing acceleration decision.   On a road course the 3.27 with the torque from a 351 can likely push the car to 140-155 while keeping the driveline critical speed lower.  A 50 inch driveline spinning at 5000+rpm is getting into the range where drive line angles and harmonics cpuld be an issue.

Throw a 3.73 in there and watch it drop half a second for drag racing which it was never intended for.   If they had made a Cobra Jet offering it likely would have been 4:10s with no smig equipment and 13 second car.

Cobra Rs were still 50 state smog legal EPA fucked.

That 351 had mild heads and mild cams but even back then you could bump to near 400 with ease on heads and a cam.

Currently have 3 mustangs in the garage down from 4, all 4 were bought between 2013 and 2017 spanning SN95, SN197, S550 plus the 66.

The 95 Cobra is still passing Ca smog with 114k miles with nothing more than a cam swap to wake it up.   The little 302 with gears hit 14.1 @98.5 as configured and on shit suspension.   If the engine finally gets a rebuild there are CARB EO# parts that will let me hit 300+ hp.

My replacement engine I intended for the 95 wound up sitting for 4 years because I didnt want to deal with smog.     The DART block 331 now sits in my 66 and is 380whp at 6k rpm and is about all the 225/45-17 summer tires can endure.

All that talk about 80s/90s turbo 4s, well yeah ofcourse their power for displacement went up.  They were actually developing for those engines and learning things on how to make them breathe.     Factory efforts for the old generation of V8s was not there.

Sadly back then the constrictions of existing factory parts would not let power adders work as well as they could.  

Go do the same to a V8 that can breathe and what happens?   Richard Holdner will show you exactly what happens, a 9.5:1 compression ratio 500hp SBF 408 will go to 1k+ HP on 13 pounds of boost is what happens.

There are things about a SBF and SBC that cannot be denied, the aftermarket will easily let you build  350-400hp right in your garage depending on displacement for a 300-347 cuin motor.   500+ all day if playing with 351-427 motors.    

Things learned were what gave rise to the LS when Chevy wisely decided they could keep the engine simpler.

My 2015 Coyote is already pretty much tapped out.  Heads and intake improvements might get me closer to to 500hp but it is about all you are gonna get.   Cams are much more expensive because you need 4 of the stupid things.   You cannot bore/stroke the thing for shit.

As for the Coyote heads, something goes through your oil you wind up with fucked up bearing surfaces on your aluminum heads.   Atleast the SBF has bearings for both cam journals and crank that can be knocked out and you can service that block for a long time.

Then there is the Coyote timing chain tensioners and other possible concerns.

Then there is the damn size comparison.    The SBF is able to fit into things much more easily than the big fat fuckin Coyote, a SBF 427 stroker is a smaller engine than the Coyote.   Dollars spent on the 427 will likely yield more HP than same dollars spent on a Coyote.

There really is not a hell of a lot of advantage to the Coyote at the end of the day when looking at complexity and durability.

My 66 is running EFI and the tune has me rolling around 17mpg on the freeway.   If I am patient and drive like a grandpa I can get 12ish city on the current tune but my being an asshole gets me 9-10.   My Coyote gets around 13 city, freeway is admittedly better but then it can monitor things my EFI in the 66 cannot but I dont see better than maybe 22-23 hwy.

If I sprung for a more feature rich Holley model I could have added a drive shaft speed sensor and built a table for when drive line RPM is higher than Engine RPM it would recognize I was in overdrive.    That would let me skip to a low load cruising AFR/Ignition table and likely bump up over 20mpg.

If I ever bump to a better EFI setup I may go multiport with a cam position sensor and better crank trigger.   I could then build out a timing table that will allow for even better control.

Some things I didn't consider since in the 90s entirely oblivious to the Pony scene the States -  consumed with developing rally creds, so firmly European market/gov body focused with Ford or Japanese involvement.

That said, seems to me the States was happy churning out cheap sub 50 hp / L push rod dinos the 90s - in "performance" applications.The market tolerated and the business case didn't seem to require change since the volume and profit per unit was sufficient. Concern with what might be done post factory has always been pretty narrow market, so isn't often considered primarily during dev and prod. Which is why it's related to limited model efforts. But now we're veering well past OPs ask.

I get your point about Coyote, tho I thought the road to big numbers there was forced induction - and there huge numbers were possible? But so little interest this is a very thin observation. From the factory tho, on a vanilla, mass market GT, it was.a sea change. Few recall how special like ZR1 and the SHO lump mentioned earlier were. Even the Toyota UZ or Northstars (took a bit past the 90s but he LC3 finally got it done).

To an extent complicated V8 valve-trains have always been discounted, partly because they weren't necessary in the mass market we're discussing, but also because expense wasn't supported in those markets. Shit if the Olds 4 valve per cylinder W43 would have continued to production GMs future woulda been differ. Or more likely given GMs mgt, a pretty cool footnote. 500 hp was pretty likely, 450 was solid. Sucks It never happened
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 12:11:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Bingo,

Modern engines can sustain higher compression and higher revs.
View Quote

So a SBF that revs to 6000 RPM with hydraulic lifters and makes 400-500+ HP on 9.5-10 compression match your definition?

How much more revs do you need?   Because the torque curve of my SBF compared to the torque curve of my Coyote is a completely different seat of the pants experience.

Would love to see the difference if I could have my 331 in my 2015 i stead of the coyote.   Ford ECU butt fucking the throttle body so it is never 1:1 to throttle input has something to do with it I am sure.    But I am not lacking for power and I am barely giving up 500rpm difference in how I shkft the car as I rev it out.

Alacrity above hits on the reasons.   The execs at the big 3 never put priority on making gains with the older generation engines despite it being possible.

It is why further back I made mention of the Ford Explorers that started to go distributorles sas OBD2 became the standard.    It hinted at what was possible if the SBF stayed and Ford was forced to improve it as the LS became a thing.    The SBF could have evolved right along with the LS had Ford simply looked at what the aftermarket was doing.

Took 15 years for the Mod motor to be ironed out from 4.6 2v/4v, 3v, 5.4, 5.0.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 12:13:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Broken cam phasers, inadequate oiling to turbos, shitty thermal management and staggering costs for replacement parts and ongoing maintenance come in to play.   This system is like a good prom date, guaranteed to fuck you coming and going...

When it goes it's going to sound like the caterpillar drive on the red october minus the cooling circuits.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200610/e5d48f4510a1a52e7a33193a0987990b.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lot of mfgs got it right, with turbo, multivalve, VVT, and DI engines doing big mileage without issue. Some of the best DI engineering involved port injection as well.

Link Posted: 8/20/2023 12:30:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Cars made in the last 5-15 years are just on a totally different level than cars made say pre 2005-2010.

Not just creature comforts but as a driver just so much better from throttle response to braking to stability at speed.
View Quote

I find that there's been only incremental improvements in most car designs since the '90s, with the notable exception of the drivetrain.

I actually prefer most '90s cars to today's chunky, ridiculously heavy, user maintainance unfriendly, wokemobiles, and would much rather drive a restomodded '90s car than most that were made recently.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 12:38:00 PM EDT
[#11]
OP, everything changed, the biggest bitch was getting vehicles IM legal, but head/port/compression/stroke/cam and valve train, all part of the change, but the biggest was computers and sensors that could run everything, from fuel into the cylinders to air-fuel in the tailpipe...Also a lot went into oil pans and keeping oil out of the spinning crank...And the last big hurtle ..they figured out how to design and build a better  mouse trap....
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 12:43:41 PM EDT
[#12]
The catalytic converter.

Higher compression engines with rich fuel mixtures did not work well with early catalytic converters. That and the converters themselves were very restrictive.

Modern engines can have 3 or more cats on them now. These emissions controls allow manufacturers to push the engines harder and still maintain emissions regulations.

Back in the day you pulled the shitty GM TBI injection system off of a 350, replaced it with tall edelbrock manifold and carburator, put a cam in it, then made up straight pipes and you could damn near double the horsepower. The engine was always capable of producing power, the emissions technology was not capable of keeping up.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I had a 95 mustang with 3.8 later a 5.0L version of that car.  The  v8 car made 215 HP with 302 CID.   Currently have a car with a 2.9 liter engine (177CiD) that makes 510 HP 450 ftlb / stock.  
View Quote

If you are gonna compare boosted to NA motors, then the displacement can't really be compared like that.  Boost is the replacement for displacement.  Of coarse you can have a lower displacement when you have 2 turbos stuffing air down its throat.

The 2.9L with turbos is going to use as much, or more air and fuel to get around than the 302.
From a reliability standpoint, we all know how long a 302 pushrod/roller motor can last.  Will the 2.9L and the turbos last that long?
And can you run the 87 octane in that thing?  A lot of modern low displacement boosted motors wont run on the cheap gas.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Simple, truck motor type build, big stroke, small piston, mild cam and valve strain and  verb
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Volumetric efficiency
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 12:49:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Lets not forget the value of modern design technology.  3D modeling, FEA, fluid dynamic modeling.  It's simply easier to design better engines today.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 12:49:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 12:51:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 1:02:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If you are gonna compare boosted to NA motors, then the displacement can't really be compared like that.  Boost is the replacement for displacement.  Of coarse you can have a lower displacement when you have 2 turbos stuffing air down its throat.

The 2.9L with turbos is going to use as much, or more air and fuel to get around than the 302.
From a reliability standpoint, we all know how long a 302 pushrod/roller motor can last.  Will the 2.9L and the turbos last that long?
And can you run the 87 octane in that thing?  A lot of modern low displacement boosted motors wont run on the cheap gas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had a 95 mustang with 3.8 later a 5.0L version of that car.  The  v8 car made 215 HP with 302 CID.   Currently have a car with a 2.9 liter engine (177CiD) that makes 510 HP 450 ftlb / stock.  

I agree and they aren't directly comparable.  I mean the v6 in the wife's highlander cranks out 270 Hp on 87 octane vs my old mustang.  Which was a great car then, not shitting on them at the time.   A direct comparison to the NA LT6 with 650hp is fair, we've come a long way.  That motor runs 93 to get maximum output, but so does the 2jz-ge in my 02 IS300.  I do believe we are in a golden age for high performance cars.   There is so much goodness out there at all price ranges.  Will it last as long, time will tell.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 1:06:48 PM EDT
[#20]
It's kind of funny with the current lot of turbo engines, on the surface they seem like a huge leap in technology but really Oldsmobile did it in 1962.

It has just been incremental improvements on old ideas coupled with lower cost materials and manufacturing. Nothing particularly ground breaking has happened since the 50's-60's.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 1:14:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Engineered to absurdity
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 1:16:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Back it up a bit, and start looking at what the motors made in torque and HP below 3K (where you will be driving them most of the time.

Take a 5.9 mag, verses the 5.7 hemi, and although the later motor makes way more HP up top, both are truck motors where most of the time your driving them under 3K, and where the 5.9 makes more torque and HP in that range isntead.

As for how we got to where we are now, started with the oil embargo of 73, where all USA produced cars where gas guzzlers, and imports like the VW where selling like hot cakes instead.  Fact is, the USA car manufactors had the VW bugs banned from US sale in the late 74, stating that the tail lights where not large enough.  So back then, it was the likes of the Pinto's and Vega's (read disposable cars that would never last 80K in the first place) if you wanted a USA car that got better than 18 miles to the gallon.  
Now comes the 80's, but USA car manufacturers are still producing all cast block and head motors, the motors start to get larger again with less gas mileage, but EPA steps in with the engines having to run cleaner, so HP takes a back seat, with all the air control crap stuck on the cars to get them to burn cleaner.
Note here, the big blocks where making a lot of torque, but just not high rev HP numbers. Also No torque  control management to the control the output of the motor, so high HP numbers would just end up in more broken drive lines as well.

Truth is, it was not until the early 2000, when manufacturers started to go to aluminum blocks and heads, got the fuel injection figures out for the motors to start to both run clean and start breaking the 400hp numbers; with Torque management and throttle mapping hobbling in the ECM to make the HP drive-able on the streets.

And the reason that I bring up torque management and throttle mapping (both used to hobble the instant power of the motor), is with a car that is putting out more than 400hp/400lbs of torque, running say a carb and no TM, car would not be drive-able on the streets.

And lastly, need to think of what the motor is going to be installed to in the first place.  HP is just how much the motor will make when its at red line (higher it revs, the more HP that you can get out of the motor), while if the motor is going into say a truck, it needs to make huge torque at low TPMS instead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
215hp from a 5.0L V8?

Todays 5.0s are double that.

It’s not like there was a progressive increase in HP per liter either. It’s like it just went crazy after 2010. 1960-2005 was about flat.

What changed?

Back it up a bit, and start looking at what the motors made in torque and HP below 3K (where you will be driving them most of the time.

Take a 5.9 mag, verses the 5.7 hemi, and although the later motor makes way more HP up top, both are truck motors where most of the time your driving them under 3K, and where the 5.9 makes more torque and HP in that range isntead.

As for how we got to where we are now, started with the oil embargo of 73, where all USA produced cars where gas guzzlers, and imports like the VW where selling like hot cakes instead.  Fact is, the USA car manufactors had the VW bugs banned from US sale in the late 74, stating that the tail lights where not large enough.  So back then, it was the likes of the Pinto's and Vega's (read disposable cars that would never last 80K in the first place) if you wanted a USA car that got better than 18 miles to the gallon.  
Now comes the 80's, but USA car manufacturers are still producing all cast block and head motors, the motors start to get larger again with less gas mileage, but EPA steps in with the engines having to run cleaner, so HP takes a back seat, with all the air control crap stuck on the cars to get them to burn cleaner.
Note here, the big blocks where making a lot of torque, but just not high rev HP numbers. Also No torque  control management to the control the output of the motor, so high HP numbers would just end up in more broken drive lines as well.

Truth is, it was not until the early 2000, when manufacturers started to go to aluminum blocks and heads, got the fuel injection figures out for the motors to start to both run clean and start breaking the 400hp numbers; with Torque management and throttle mapping hobbling in the ECM to make the HP drive-able on the streets.

And the reason that I bring up torque management and throttle mapping (both used to hobble the instant power of the motor), is with a car that is putting out more than 400hp/400lbs of torque, running say a carb and no TM, car would not be drive-able on the streets.

And lastly, need to think of what the motor is going to be installed to in the first place.  HP is just how much the motor will make when its at red line (higher it revs, the more HP that you can get out of the motor), while if the motor is going into say a truck, it needs to make huge torque at low TPMS instead.

This is also correct. The Jekyll and hyde nature of these cars makes them great drivers.  My mom or wife can hop in a car with big numbers and drive it in the rain.  The ZR1 is a totally drivable car with some basic self control and the drivers aids.  Turn them off and you are in a very different machine.    For most "new" people the risk of dropping them in truly high performance cars like the G80 M3, QV, or vettes is low clearance leading to damaged aero.  Unless you are trying to break them loose I find them highly stable even under acceleration.  It's always fun to watch people merge or do other "normal" stuff then look down at the speedo after having to slow down at the end of the on ramp.  Things are so good now wind noise is the biggest hint you are breaking the law in a spectacular manner.

Oh and carbon ceramics are so much better now.  Remember how shitty they were?  And tire compounds and choices, quality tunes, support forums for pretty much every vehicle, really an amazing time.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 1:28:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Unelected bureaucrats made it all possible .
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 1:59:40 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd dial it back and bring back the porsche 356 . Bump it up about a liter , add an extra gear , maybe some vvt . Carb cheater on dual downdrafts.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 2:27:51 PM EDT
[#25]
I remember in 2002 when GM was discontinuing the Camaro with it's 295 hp 6.0! I was working at Cadillac. A year and a half later we rolled out a 315 hp V6. That was my, "ah ha" moment. Things really started changing fast.

Still love my '87 turbo 3.8. So fast it took 20 years for everyone to catch up.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 2:30:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It was only US cars that had such low HP per Litre.  It always puzzled me bad in the day. European and jap cars were looking to maximise this. The goal was 100 bhp Per litre

Then you had tuners getting 500 bhp out of a 2 litre Ford cosworth

Push rods?  Or something?
View Quote
Really, high HP per volumetric unit may be nice for some applications, but it really isn't all that useful in many other applications.  Hp per dollar, emissions, fuel efficiency, having a nicely usable power range and other considerations must be considered.

Displacement was cheap for US engines.  Euro's taxed cars by displacement at least at some point in time.

Large displacement engines tended to make good power at low rpm's and were nicer to drive under normal conditions than the low peak HP figures would leave you to believe.  To control NOx, exhaust gas recirculation was used to prevent high temps where NOx formed.  It took a few years to move from carbs, to port body fuel injection, to multi-port injection.  

Large displacement, naturally aspirated engines were so ingrained as a way to get cheap power with broad power range, that even today, a good portion of arfcom hasn't figured out that modern turbo, inline 4's of 2.0 to 2.7 liter displacement can easily make 260 to 320 hp AND have lots of power down at 1500 rpm and that these engines make way more power down low than the naturally aspirated, large displacement engines they remember.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 2:32:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Some things I didn't consider since in the 90s entirely oblivious to the Pony scene the States -  consumed with developing rally creds, so firmly European market/gov body focused with Ford or Japanese involvement.

That said, seems to me the States was happy churning out cheap sub 50 hp / L push rod dinos the 90s - in "performance" applications.The market tolerated and the business case didn't seem to require change since the volume and profit per unit was sufficient. Concern with what might be done post factory has always been pretty narrow market, so isn't often considered primarily during dev and prod. Which is why it's related to limited model efforts. But now we're veering well past OPs ask.

I get your point about Coyote, tho I thought the road to big numbers there was forced induction - and there huge numbers were possible? But so little interest this is a very thin observation. From the factory tho, on a vanilla, mass market GT, it was.a sea change. Few recall how special like ZR1 and the SHO lump mentioned earlier were. Even the Toyota UZ or Northstars (took a bit past the 90s but he LC3 finally got it done).

To an extent complicated V8 valve-trains have always been discounted, partly because they weren't necessary in the mass market we're discussing, but also because expense wasn't supported in those markets. Shit if the Olds 4 valve per cylinder W43 would have continued to production GMs future woulda been differ. Or more likely given GMs mgt, a pretty cool footnote. 500 hp was pretty likely, 450 was solid. Sucks It never happened
View Quote

Sounds like you lived in Europe during that timeframe, or at least were very EU-focused. What you may be missing is that EU emissions standards didn't really get anywhere near as restrictive as US emissions until the 2000's, and still weren't even then for diesels until just very recently. IIRC, you could get 98 RON gas in the EU as late as the early 2k's, and the EU consumer would actually put the fuel in the car that it called for. The US and EU tunes and engine details like CR had to be very different during that time. Even if you put "premium fuel only" down the side of the car in two foot letters in the US, some fool down near the border would still run 80 octane Mexican crap in it and file a warranty claim when detonation killed the engine. Actually, there would be a large number of such fools. US automakers had to engineer engines to take this, and recall that knock sensors weren't the most perfect indicators of potential engine damage until maybe this latest generation.

Emissions, insurance industry, EPA, and lack of technology advancement nearly killed the industry in the 1970's. And if the rest of you on this thread think American V8's were bad, you should have driven any Datsun/Nissan that wasn't a Z or any Toyota/Honda of the era. There's a reason no one kept common high volume cars like B210's or Corolla's of that era. Those complaining about 90 HP Sentras would consider that car to be a rocketship compared to a '79 B210. A 500 CID Caddy may have been down on HP, but it had enough torque to maintain highway speeds easily. The small cars of the era did not.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 2:35:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Breathing - largely cylinder head design(s) & ever advancing ‘puter-based engine mgmt.
View Quote

The real answer.

Normal, production-level cylinder heads by the big 3 were functional garbage up until the 90s with the GT40/P heads from Ford for the 302s, the Vortec heads for the 350 SBC, and the Magnum heads for the MOPAR engines.

Raised intake runners from anything that came out before on a mass-produced level, heart shaped combustion chambers instead of the old open junk, wider throats around the valve guides, narrow valve stems and backcut valves, etc.

They essentially took (like most Big 3 production stuff) what the NASCAR/NHRA Pro Stock guys were doing and distilled it into an easy-ish casting mold, similar to what GM did with the LS motor, and now Ford has done with the 7.3 Godzilla motor.

The single greatest restriction in these ICE motors is the cylinder head.

Go look at a cylinder head from the 50s and it'll look like a Briggs flathead engine: 90* turns in ports, gross casting lines, basic valves, etc. You'll be lucky to break into the 200cfm range on a lot of factory heads up until the 90s.

Then look at the Honda stuff from the early 90s. D16A6, B16A, F22A. HUGE ports compared to the OEM v8s with less than half the displacement. DOHC/pent-roof designs, VTEC, aluminum everything. Honda specifically kicked the Big 3's ass in the early 90s and really is who launched the horsepower wars we are still in.

Then look at current DOHC heads and specifically the godzilla heads if you want to stay OHV: FEA designed castings, runners WAY higher than the 90s let alone anything before that, oil squirters on the valve springs, tiny stems, etc.

They also realized along the way that you need a larger bore than stroke if you care about selling HP. The larger the bore, the larger the valves.

The ECU stuff is great but it's a distant 2nd to cylinder head development. Casting techniques, computer modeling, and machining have allowed the cylinder heads to flow 2-3x more cfm with the same size ports as heads from anything before the 2000s.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 2:37:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
In the mid '70's didn't manufacturer's go from rating horsepower at the fly wheel to hp ratings at the rear end?

A lot of numbers lost through the drive train.
View Quote
I doubt that.  It was actually the other way.  Engines of the 60's were rated at gross hp where power robbed by belt driven accessories like water pumps, alternators, steering pumps, etc, was not reflected in the HP figure.   All that was changed in the 70's to SAE net power which was power at the flywheel with all required belt driven accessories hooked up.  

Engine ratings in the US have been using SAE Net measurement for a long time.  Emissions and fuel efficiency requirements, coupled with crash safety, down sizing and quality improvements that hit the industry in the 70's, really did drive down HP from the mid 70's to the mid 80's before things started to turn around as far as power went.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 2:38:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It's kind of funny with the current lot of turbo engines, on the surface they seem like a huge leap in technology but really Oldsmobile did it in 1962.

It has just been incremental improvements on old ideas coupled with lower cost materials and manufacturing. Nothing particularly ground breaking has happened since the 50's-60's.
View Quote

1962 Olds Starfire with a 215 all aluminum V8 that later became Rover's mainstay for everything they built, from large sedans to Defenders and Range Rovers. Had one of those Olds for a very brief time.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 2:46:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Really, high HP per volumetric unit may be nice for some applications, but it really isn't all that useful in many other applications.  Hp per dollar, emissions, fuel efficiency, having a nicely usable power range and other considerations must be considered.

Displacement was cheap for US engines.  Euro's taxed cars by displacement at least at some point in time.

Large displacement engines tended to make good power at low rpm's and were nicer to drive under normal conditions than the low peak HP figures would leave you to believe.  To control NOx, exhaust gas recirculation was used to prevent high temps where NOx formed.  It took a few years to move from carbs, to port body fuel injection, to multi-port injection.  

Large displacement, naturally aspirated engines were so ingrained as a way to get cheap power with broad power range, that even today, a good portion of arfcom hasn't figured out that modern turbo, inline 4's of 2.0 to 2.7 liter displacement can easily make 260 to 320 hp AND have lots of power down at 1500 rpm and that these engines make way more power down low than the naturally aspirated, large displacement engines they remember.
View Quote

Worth noting that, to your point, the EU taxed engines based on displacement as well. They had no choice but to move to smaller, higher revving engines. Japan did the same. US taxed fuel instead and mandated stricter emissions, then the CAFE fuel economy standards passed in 1975 really started to bite by the 1980s, which limited the numbers of performance/luxury cars that could be sold based on fleet average. Ford used to have to sell 1 Escort at a loss for every Lincoln it sold at a big profit.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 4:20:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Piston engine development reached a remarkable pinnacle at the end of WWII. Consider the Pratt & Whitney Wasp Major: a ear-splitting, fire-breathing, 28-cylinder, supercharged corn-cob radial. It was a maintenance nightmare, unreliable, and dangerous to even be near with all those heat-stressed screaming parts moving at insane speeds. But with high-octane aviation fuel, it could squeeze an astounding 4,300 hp out of 71.5 L of displacement. That's 60 hp per liter.

Then along came computers, and engines even got electric brains.

My Tacoma gets 278 hp out of a normally-aspirated 3.5 V6 with regular fuel - 79 hp per liter. I change the oil every ten thousand miles.

Lady Rodent's turbocharged Volvo gets 250 hp out of a two-liter V-4, quietly and reliably.

View Quote
This is part of an excellent example of why judging an engine on a single performance parameter is not useful.  

Those big WWII aircraft engines didn't make lots of power per unit of displacement because they didn't spin very fast.  Also, aircraft power rating is real power rating.  Those engines were expected to produce those power levels or close to them continuously for long periods of time.  Many aircraft and engines had a thing called War Emergency Power (WEP).  Some of those WEP ratings were rather large increases in available power and a pilot could go into that region for a short period of time in the event that not doing so probably meant dying.  Depending on the particular aircraft and engine, inspection or even tear down or rebuild may be required.

Typical passenger cars and light trucks have power ratings which far exceed what those engines can put out for extended periods of time with reasonable durability.  Basically, they have fake power.  Sure they dyno at that power.  However, the typical passenger car will cruise around at highway speeds needing only about 20 hp give or take a few.  The vast majority of the time is spent at low power loads and rated power is rarely if ever used.  When rated power is used, it's typically for brief duration during acceleration.

The big tip off is the power ratings of engines like the Ford 7.3 gasoline engine.  The engine power rating is about 100hp higher when installed in 3/4 and 1 ton pickups than when it is installed in a commercial F-750 which is expected to tow or haul much greater loads for much more of the usage.  The 7.3 gasoline engine can make 430 hp in an F-250 but is only offered in 335 hp form in an F-750.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 4:52:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Worth noting that, to your point, the EU taxed engines based on displacement as well. They had no choice but to move to smaller, higher revving engines. Japan did the same. US taxed fuel instead and mandated stricter emissions, then the CAFE fuel economy standards passed in 1975 really started to bite by the 1980s, which limited the numbers of performance/luxury cars that could be sold based on fleet average. Ford used to have to sell 1 Escort at a loss for every Lincoln it sold at a big profit.
View Quote
Yeah, I was going to mention the Euro displacement tax.  Governments taxing or controlling design parameters instead of performance parameters are exceptionally destructive.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The real answer.

Normal, production-level cylinder heads by the big 3 were functional garbage up until the 90s with the GT40/P heads from Ford for the 302s, the Vortec heads for the 350 SBC, and the Magnum heads for the MOPAR engines.

Raised intake runners from anything that came out before on a mass-produced level, heart shaped combustion chambers instead of the old open junk, wider throats around the valve guides, narrow valve stems and backcut valves, etc.

They essentially took (like most Big 3 production stuff) what the NASCAR/NHRA Pro Stock guys were doing and distilled it into an easy-ish casting mold, similar to what GM did with the LS motor, and now Ford has done with the 7.3 Godzilla motor.

The single greatest restriction in these ICE motors is the cylinder head.

Go look at a cylinder head from the 50s and it'll look like a Briggs flathead engine: 90* turns in ports, gross casting lines, basic valves, etc. You'll be lucky to break into the 200cfm range on a lot of factory heads up until the 90s.

Then look at the Honda stuff from the early 90s. D16A6, B16A, F22A. HUGE ports compared to the OEM v8s with less than half the displacement. DOHC/pent-roof designs, VTEC, aluminum everything. Honda specifically kicked the Big 3's ass in the early 90s and really is who launched the horsepower wars we are still in.

Then look at current DOHC heads and specifically the godzilla heads if you want to stay OHV: FEA designed castings, runners WAY higher than the 90s let alone anything before that, oil squirters on the valve springs, tiny stems, etc.

They also realized along the way that you need a larger bore than stroke if you care about selling HP. The larger the bore, the larger the valves.

The ECU stuff is great but it's a distant 2nd to cylinder head development. Casting techniques, computer modeling, and machining have allowed the cylinder heads to flow 2-3x more cfm with the same size ports as heads from anything before the 2000s.
View Quote

The older Honda engines weren't all that impressive without forced induction though, and the factory block can't handle serious power without extensive mods.

IMO it wasn't until the K motor came along did Honda really become impressive from a production motor standpoint.

Link Posted: 8/20/2023 8:20:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'd dial it back and bring back the porsche 356 . Bump it up about a liter , add an extra gear , maybe some vvt . Carb cheater on dual downdrafts.
View Quote

My buddy says:

"Already been done back then when Porsche was an engineering company who used the racetrack to test their technology. Search: Fuhrmann engine.

Besides the 550 Spyder and the Carrera, the 4 cam was used in the early 904, but bumped up to 2.0 liters. Some used mechanical fuel injection, similar to a Diesel."
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 9:23:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

My buddy says:

"Already been done back then when Porsche was an engineering company who used the racetrack to test their technology. Search: Fuhrmann engine.

Besides the 550 Spyder and the Carrera, the 4 cam was used in the early 904, but bumped up to 2.0 liters. Some used mechanical fuel injection, similar to a Diesel."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My buddy says:

547, Ja

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/20/2023 9:52:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

No, they really weren't. They were just detuned choked down versions of a good engine that could be brought back to life if wanted.

View Quote
I'm sorry they just are trash motors. the BLOCK is good for about 500hp before it leaves the building. I dont need to say anything beyond that, and there is so much more to crap on.

( RE old ford 302)

IMO any motor that needs aftermarket heads to make substantial power is a bad motor. dont bother trying to change my mind. the heads ARE the motor.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 11:01:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm sorry they just are trash motors. the BLOCK is good for about 500hp before it leaves the building. I dont need to say anything beyond that, and there is so much more to crap on.

( RE old ford 302)

IMO any motor that needs aftermarket heads to make substantial power is a bad motor. dont bother trying to change my mind. the heads ARE the motor.
View Quote

And yet the only cars available at the time that could outrun the '90s 5.0s cost a lot more, at least twice as much if you're talking about the Japanese turbo sportscars of the era.

At that time there weren't a lot of engines available from any manufacturer that could handle a reasonable amount of power by today's standards.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 11:01:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My 1994 Integra GS-R had 170hp from a 1.8L.

My current S2000 makes 240hp from 2.2L. It’s an 06 but it was designed in the 90s.
View Quote

The S2000 was first to get 100hp per liter.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 11:26:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

( RE old ford 302)

View Quote

So an engine that was designed within a certain performance criteria during the late 50s and gave rise to an entire family of various displacement engines that lasted nearly 50 years is crap?

One where as advances were made it proved to be able to push power into respectable numbers.

Put some cleveland heads on it and wind up with a Boss motor.  It is fair to say the design of the 60s was never imagining they would be able to push 400-500hp.

Ford roller blocks were weaker but then saving weight while making choked smog motors likely made sense.

93-95 saw SVT playing with the 5.0 and the 351 in the Lightning + Cobra R.   If not for the upcoming modular and OBD2 we could have wound up with a Ford type LS and the power levels of thd Coyote would have been easy to hit a solid 10-15 years before we even saw the Coyote.   A factory 347 Ford or 427 Ford could have easily been a thing again.

Proof of that being what happened with the Cobras in 2000/2001 and SVT deciding to slap a blower on the 4.6 giving us the Terminator.    If they were still on the SBF better heads/intake could have delivered a lot of bang for the buck all done at the factory.

Sorry but you sound absolutely ridiculous.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 12:04:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The older Honda engines weren't all that impressive without forced induction though, and the factory block can't handle serious power without extensive mods.
IMO it wasn't until the K motor came along did Honda really become impressive from a production motor standpoint.
View Quote

You can't see the forest for the trees.

D16A6 - 108HP, 67.5HP/per liter in 1988
B16A1 - 150HP, ~94HP/per liter in 1994

Foxbody 5.0 HO - 225HP, 45HP/per liter in 1987
Vortec 350 - 255HP, ~45HP/per liter in 1996

They WERE/ARE that impressive even 30-35 years later given what was available at the time.

Take any mediocre/grocery getter d15/d16 head, put it on a flowbench and measure CFM against ANY Big 3 production v8 head from the same period (80s to early 90s) and the Honda head will beat it.

Take a F22A1 head and it'll walk all over any production OE head save the race stuff.

I used to own a Superflow 110. We'll see if my numbers match up to yours.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 1:58:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Lot of mfgs got it right, with turbo, multivalve, VVT, and DI engines doing big mileage without issue. Some of the best DI engineering involved port injection as well.

View Quote

Ah, yes
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 2:30:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

1990 ford mustang curb weight :  ~2,800 pounds

2023 ford mustang curb weight :  ~3,700 pounds  

plus the 300+ ft/lbs of torque made for fairly dynamic acceleration.

yes they weren't rocket ships stock - esp. compared to many modern cars - but they were decently quicker than some statistical comparisons might infer
View Quote

Yeah, power:weight was a serious consideration. 100 horsepower is pretty damn sluggish in a sports car but it would be uncontrollably fast in a motorcycle. A 2023 mustang might smoke a ‘90’s fox body 5.0, but I did plenty of ridiculous 3rd gear burnouts in 90’s fox bodies.

The mass machining tolerances and metallurgy at that time just didn’t allow for extra horsepower in a vehicle that ordinary people needed to drive to work every day. If you made more than about 430 HP in a stock 5.0 OHV block, it was going to explode. The engine could be made to produce considerably more power but it was understood that you were building a time bomb.

Most V8 blocks now could reasonably withstand 1000 horsepower intermittently, thanks mostly to much better metallurgy.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 3:09:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Low compression, small heads, small cams, retarded timing, small carbs/lean fueling.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 3:43:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Low compression, small heads, small cams, retarded timing, small carbs/lean fueling.
View Quote

Speed density engine control systems were the best solution they had for mass production for a long while with EFI systems. Now the ECM can account for all kinds of variables but not so much in the 90’s. Hell, my ‘96 5.0 had a distributor cap. Think about trying to make Windows 95 respond in real time to actual engine operating conditions… it wouldn’t be great. Now you could do it with 1/10th the computing power of a smart watch.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 7:31:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In 1976, Cadillac sold a 500 cubic inch (8.2L) V8 that made 190 horsepower. You read that right... Five hundred cubic inches for less than 200 hp.

Look up how HP is calculated.
Low RPM engines can make a lot of torque and very little horsepower.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 7:43:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

We're Honda people, of the 10 or so we've owned all were pretty anemic - until the Odyssey.

Maybe 80's & 90's Hondas suffered like other car brands, but 06' Odyssey, 14' Accord, 19' Passport, and 22' Accord (2.0T w/ tune) can freeway merge!
View Quote

Japan had (has?) weird laws about performance, horsepower and mpg.  Honda ended up building incredibly durable, strong engines that can hold a lot of horsepower, but purposely did not tune for it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 8:40:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I doubt that.  It was actually the other way.  Engines of the 60's were rated at gross hp where power robbed by belt driven accessories like water pumps, alternators, steering pumps, etc, was not reflected in the HP figure.   All that was changed in the 70's to SAE net power which was power at the flywheel with all required belt driven accessories hooked up.  

Engine ratings in the US have been using SAE Net measurement for a long time.  Emissions and fuel efficiency requirements, coupled with crash safety, down sizing and quality improvements that hit the industry in the 70's, really did drive down HP from the mid 70's to the mid 80's before things started to turn around as far as power went.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In the mid '70's didn't manufacturer's go from rating horsepower at the fly wheel to hp ratings at the rear end?

A lot of numbers lost through the drive train.

This is why the 70 1/2 z28 which was rated at 375 hp was about 10 or 15 hp less than the 97 z28 with 275 hp. They were measured differently when they were new.
Also net hp is measured at the flywheel from manufacturers. Things like transmissions and gear ratios will affect rwhp.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 8:56:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Take any mediocre/grocery getter d15/d16 head, put it on a flowbench and measure CFM against ANY Big 3 production v8 head from the same period (80s to early 90s) and the Honda head will beat it.

Take a F22A1 head and it'll walk all over any production OE head save the race stuff.

I used to own a Superflow 110. We'll see if my numbers match up to yours.
View Quote

The ford cleveland cast iron heads flowed 275cfm.  In production from 1970 - 1982.  Sadly, they only had a 4 year run in the US.  We got all the windsor love here.  Ford in australia kept the clevelands going.

275cfm is still pretty respectable, even by today's standards, 50 years later.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:13:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Laughing at all this from mildly modified DSMs.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top