Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/22/2023 5:48:55 PM EDT
Hey everyone, if you have time, I'd appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction. For nostalgia's sake, I'd like to get an M16 upper receiver from the Vietnam era or at least the oldest one I can. I already have an AR15 lower so I don't need a lower receiver. I just want a really old upper. I don't know why, I just feel like it would round out my collection more. I don't want it if it's a legal no-go or in the gray area for any class 3 or whatever though. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 5:52:28 PM EDT
[#1]
You do understand that the lower has "da switch" right?

Check brownells "retro" rifle lineup.

Link Posted: 1/22/2023 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Sarco had them a few years back

https://www.sarcoinc.com/
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 5:53:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 5:54:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Look at PSA/h&R's m16a1 that they released at shot. I understand it isnt us govt property from Vietnam, but it's about as close as you're going to get without being a no shit usgi upper.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 5:54:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Look/ask in here
H&R/PSA
Brownells

For new "Retro" stuff
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 5:56:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I think he wants a real one guys
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 5:56:24 PM EDT
[#8]
No idea who these guys are and are not vintage but should work.
I asked in the retro forum as I wanted to build an A1 for my father that he used during that period. Someone was kind enough to offer one for a good price.

https://www.tntesales.com/a1
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 5:58:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think he wants a real one guys
View Quote

But an A1 vintage upper on an standard lower is kind of stupid.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 7:12:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I found mine at a gun show.  1980's vintage made by a company called Engineering Research.  Paid $180 for it. Bore is shiny and chromed.

I built it into an A1 clone, but didn't go the whole 9 yards of getting an a1 lower...

I did do Moly Resin to match the lower to the upper in color, however.

Thing will ring a 12"x24" torso gong all day long at 300 yards with open sights.

Link Posted: 1/22/2023 7:34:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Fulton Armory uses US GI parts. In stock but kind of expensive.
Fulton
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 7:42:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Fulton Armory uses US GI parts. In stock but kind of expensive.
Fulton
View Quote

I used to attend a gunshow in Frederick MD, they would attend. Their rifles are beautiful works of art. But experience.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 7:51:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Go to gunshows and look. Both of these came from small gunshows of 100 tables or so.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/22/2023 7:54:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No idea who these guys are and are not vintage but should work.
I asked in the retro forum as I wanted to build an A1 for my father that he used during that period. Someone was kind enough to offer one for a good price.

https://www.tntesales.com/a1
View Quote

Do not under any circumstances use TopNotch Top End. Ordered a bunch of stainless upper parts from them a few years ago. Took forever to get some of the parts. Took longer to get the rest of them.
Coworker ordered a complete upper. Took almost a year to get it. And it was wrong.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 7:58:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Keep an eye on Apex Gun Parts. They occasionally get M16A1 parts kits in stock, but they sell out fast.

Found an upper. Dolla dolla bills yo. 1 in stock.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 8:00:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

No I want the upper, not the lower. I don't want the full auto switch. I already have a plain old semi-auto AR15 so I can just use the lower I already have. Thanks though.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 8:01:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Keep an eye on Apex Gun Parts. They occasionally get M16A1 parts kits in stock, but they sell out fast.

View Quote

Thanks sir!

Holy cats that is a little more expensive than I thought though. Hmm I might have to find another source!
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 8:05:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Unless there are some forgotten about in some govt warehouse,or some get shipped in from overseas, OP will have to watch for firearms auctions, and for collections for sale.
And have at least $2000 I'd guess.  Probably more than that.
* i wasnt that far off
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 8:06:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I found mine at a gun show.  1980's vintage made by a company called Engineering Research.  Paid $180 for it. Bore is shiny and chromed.

I built it into an A1 clone, but didn't go the whole 9 yards of getting an a1 lower...

I did do Moly Resin to match the lower to the upper in color, however.

Thing will ring a 12"x24" torso gong all day long at 300 yards with open sights.

https://i.imgur.com/kzAqAIO.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/22/2023 8:11:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thanks sir!

Holy cats that is a little more expensive than I thought though. Hmm I might have to find another source!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks sir!

You're welcome. Just search "M16" on their site. There are other complete uppers as well, and at least one was a but cheaper. Still over a thousand dollars though. If you just want one that is that style, you can put your own together. There are new A1 uppers being made, and I think Brownells still has a retro AR-15 line.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 8:13:56 PM EDT
[#21]
You're a little late for a cheap GI upper. Prices on all of that stuff has skyrocketed. If a repro is good enough, these should be coming out soon.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/brands/h-r-arms-co.html
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 8:15:39 PM EDT
[#22]
I heard 55gr pills out of a 20" 1:12 twist barrel creates wicked channels.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 8:16:18 PM EDT
[#23]
This one is a Vietnam era USGI replacement upper (PM marked) on a pre-ban PWA Commando A1 lower.

Link Posted: 1/22/2023 8:17:59 PM EDT
[#24]
You can find them online, they’re rare but they’re out there. Example: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/966892112
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 8:19:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Never mind.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 8:22:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 8:22:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Son, you sound like the kind of guy that couldn't sell based pussy on a troop train just coming out of the shower. Fu..
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 8:24:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 8:25:02 PM EDT
[#29]
The Louisville KY gun show in 2006 had M16A1 uppers for sell for 135 bucks each

lol   the good old days before the boys in the retro forum here drove the prices to the moon
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 8:28:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I got one from CDNN, 16 or 17 years ago and mated it to a NoDak Spud lower.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 8:34:59 PM EDT
[#31]
I picked a USGI surplus upper off the EE over 10 years ago, back when they were cheap.  It’s on a Nodak lower.

One of my co-workers picked up a Brownells complete rifle and it shoots really well.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 8:42:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You're a little late for a cheap GI upper. Prices on all of that stuff has skyrocketed. If a repro is good enough, these should be coming out soon.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

This.

Quoted:

No different than anything else. Twist rate has almost nothing to do with terminal effects.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 8:45:37 PM EDT
[#33]
I have one sitting here, doing nothing. I forgot I had it until reading this thread. Had a retro lower receiver on it, but sold that to someone back east years ago. It's on a modern receiver now, but genuine A-1 buttstock and pistol grip.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I picked a USGI surplus upper off the EE over 10 years ago, back when they were cheap.  It's on a Nodak lower.

https://i.imgur.com/WB9VML2.jpg

One of my co-workers picked up a Brownells complete rifle and it shoots really well.
View Quote
I did something similar with a surplus EE upper.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 8:52:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Thanks sir!

View Quote

you know they routinely sell on gunbroker for around $1,000

check there after Mondays, most stuff gets listed on weekends
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 8:55:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Son, you sound like the kind of guy that couldn't sell based pussy on a troop train just coming out of the shower. Fu..
View Quote

You obviously suffer from reading comprehension 101, read the thread title over.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 8:58:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 9:00:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Need a stamp for a full auto upper.

Link Posted: 1/22/2023 9:06:14 PM EDT
[#39]
OP,  check out PSA's 2 new retro rifle offerings they just announced at shot.

My retired-M16 kit: 1x12.  Bakelite PG.  3 prong FH.  Small delta ring.  No storage.

Bought this kit from the EE 20 years ago for a whopping $500.  It's old..  As in before the M16A1.

XM retro lower, waffle mag and no-notch chrome bolt from Brownells.

The seller was all like; 'Sorry some of the stocks may come with rack numbers painted on them, should be easy to remove with some cleaner.'
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 9:07:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Need a stamp for a full auto upper.

View Quote

bwaaaahaaaahaaaaaa, god that was the dumbest joke I have ever heard.  Thanks, needed the laugh
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 9:13:59 PM EDT
[#41]
If you want authentic and not a repro, you're pretty much dependent on the secondhand market. Watch the Equipment Exchange and gun shows. Gunbroker is an option, but you won't get any deals there.

15-20-years-ago we were able to get lightly-used LE trade-in upper assemblies for <$400. Those days are gone. Any that come in retail quantities these days are going to be beat-to-shit from third-world use.

"Retro" rifle owners post-whore pic thread. My favorite AR:
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 9:44:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
OP,  check out PSA's 2 new retro rifle offerings they just announced at shot.

My retired-M16 kit: 1x12.  Bakelite PG.  3 prong FH.  Small delta ring.  No storage.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2048/20220219_165528-2285493.jpg

Bought this kit from the EE 20 years ago for a whopping $500.  It's old..  As in before the M16A1.

XM retro lower, waffle mag and no-notch chrome bolt from Brownells.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2048/20220219_170752-2285511.jpg
The seller was all like; 'Sorry some of the stocks may come with rack numbers painted on them, should be easy to remove with some cleaner.'
View Quote

That's a feature, not a bug.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 9:46:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
"Retro" rifle owners post-whore pic thread. My favorite AR:
https://i.imgur.com/Btp3C3y.jpg
View Quote

Still set up the same as the day my uncle handed it to me when I was a kid. Killed my first buck with it.

Link Posted: 1/22/2023 9:53:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

No different than anything else. Twist rate has almost nothing to do with terminal effects.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks. I didn't know that.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 9:59:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I appear to have gotten the retro bug at the correct point in time.

That 1969 C MP C upper only ran me $225 at a gun show, the chrome BGC was another $150.

Mine looks to be in a lot better shape than the Apex one as well.

I really pity the people with the bug now, vintage is insane.

Happily, it looks like you can get a repop put together relatively affordably by hitting Brownells and, soon, H&R.

My A1 clone doesn't have anything vintage but the sling, stock, grip and handguards.  Oooops!  And the port door and sights.  At one time the correct ejection port cover was the bottle-neck in making a clone.

When I built the A1 it was about a grand total and more than the mostly vintage R604.

I see that prices have inverted.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 10:05:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Got some original usaf contract colt 30 rounders laying around somewhere with the green jelly follower. Found em at a gun show for $5 each.

Not the upper but if you’re going original a 60s era 30rounder fits the bill.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 10:20:52 PM EDT
[#47]
I ran a thread on this Colt a while back.  Is there any difference in the upper from a M-16?

I know someone that has a 16" upper given to him from some 'special forces' friend. He is super paranoid about using it because he thinks it's a machine gun part.  It looks like a regular carbine upper to me.  Would there be anything different about a mil-issued upper?
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 10:56:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Yea on over to Retro black rifle and do some research on what model you want to build. Then decide how clone correct you want it to be. Your opinions on both may change as you shop for parts and I have built many over the years but was lucky to get into them when parts were a little more available and cheaper.

There is a retro forum here that can help you out if you want to go down that rabbit hole. My builds range from an all original 1964 4 digit SP1 to clone correct guns, partly correct guns to what I call “retro inspired” or Frankenguns that could have been. They are all fun and some get more correct as I happen upon parts but 2 that I will never build mostly due to parts availability and costs are a 601 and a 602. I have had all the parts for. 601 pass through my hands at different times but sold them off as I vowed I would never build one. I have a beautiful 601 upper here right now that keeps tempting me though.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 11:00:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I ran a thread on this Colt a while back.  Is there any difference in the upper from a M-16?
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/q94/junker46/IMG_20221029_123407.jpg

I know someone that has a 16" upper given to him from some 'special forces' friend. He is super paranoid about using it because he thinks it's a machine gun part.  It looks like a regular carbine upper to me.  Would there be anything different about a mil-issued upper?
View Quote

That’s an interesting gun.

No fence lower and early 604 upper where the machining profile just below the port door matches the profile of the lower. That’s a desirable upper and whats the story on the lower? It’s large pin so is it an SP1 lower I assume?
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 11:02:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/q94/junker46/IMG_20221029_123407.jpg

View Quote

There is nothing different in a mil-issued upper versus the uppers that are on the market for the last 20 years. If it's an actual mil upper it's going to be 14.5 so would be pistol or NFA territory on barrel length. If it's 16 its just a random AR15 upper.

At one time Colt made some uppers and bolt carriers that would not work on an FA lower, but it doesn't really mean anything, there is nothing an upper can do to make something be FA.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top