Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 2:56:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I see a lot of bullet drop compensation computations but cant recall seeing a bullet rise computation.

With gravity being less effective at really high altitudes above sea level (10k' or more), I would think that we should have a book to help shooters account for this.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 4:45:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is clear from this thread that GD doesnt understand how gravity anything works.
And at the same time GD understands how everything works.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 5:06:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

And at the same time GD understands how everything works.
View Quote
True, but different segments of the population.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 5:22:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The guy in the wheelchair? I think you are looking for the guy who got hit in the head by an apple.
View Quote
That's why he's in a wheelchair! Don't you know?
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 5:24:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
While 10,000 feet makes no difference on ballistics as far as gravity is concerned it makes you wonder about the ballistics in zero g.

If you shoot a bullet in space would it have a flat trajectory?
View Quote
Not if it can be sustained in orbit.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 5:25:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This is not entertainment, it's trolling.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I see a lot of bullet drop compensation computations but cant recall seeing a bullet rise computation.

With gravity being less effective at really high altitudes above sea level (10k' or more), I would think that we should have a book to help shooters account for this.
Why are you a fool?
Pipe down with the personal attacks please.
This is not entertainment, it's trolling.
Oh that's cool, you can toss out the CoC based on the actions of others?

Link Posted: 11/23/2018 5:28:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
... this thread is a complete waste of bandwidth. There's almost zero value in it
View Quote
I have laughed several times, so I personally find some value.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 5:49:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Gravity diminishes by distance away from center of mass. So there is slightly less gravity at elevation above sea level.  Enough to make a discernible difference? I highly doubt it.
View Quote
So if you were physically able to be located at the very center of Earth's mass, how much gravity would you experience? More or less than at the surface?
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 5:50:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Astronauts where?  An astronaut on earth experiences 100% of the gravity that we do on earth.  An astronaut on the moon experiences about 17% of what we do.  An astronaut in the International Space Station experiences about 90% of our gravity.  If we ever land on Mars, it will be about 38% of earth's gravity.
View Quote
So what you're saying is that an astronaut dropped onto the surface of Jupiter would quickly become a puddle of goo?  Flatter than a pancake with just his little eyes bugging out.

Could a treadmill or an exercise bike prevent this?
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 6:02:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I have to come up 3 clicks at 100 yds due to the gravitational pull of my balls. Hope that helps.

Link Posted: 11/23/2018 6:15:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 6:19:54 PM EDT
[#12]
There are these organizations called "Air Forces" that have been building machines that are designed to work at sea level and at 30,000 feet. They have been doing it for 80 years now.

I know how P-51s and P-47s were designed to work when the air density decreased, and when engines had to be desigend with things like superchargers and such, but I forget how they were designed when gravity decreased. Perhaps there is a book on that.

I believe when Hillary tried to scale Everest the Sherpa had to put some deep sea diver boots borrowed from Jacque Cousteau at the 25000 feet line, because a big problem at the top of Everest is the gravity is so low that the breeze blows people up into the sky.  You can sorta hippity-hop the last thousand feet but the winds make it tricky.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 6:23:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Lol bullet rise? Tell me more....
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:21:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I believe when Hillary tried to scale Everest the Sherpa had to put some deep sea diver boots borrowed from Jacque Cousteau at the 25000 feet line, because a big problem at the top of Everest is the gravity is so low that the breeze blows people up into the sky.  You can sorta hippity-hop the last thousand feet but the winds make it tricky.
View Quote
I had heard that as well, which brings up another point.

If one were to take a nighttime stroll at the bottom of the Mariana Trench and fire a gun, while the surrounding water would lubricate the bullet, the higher gravity would cause it to drop to the seabed within a few feet of the muzzle.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 7:42:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
While 10,000 feet makes no difference on ballistics as far as gravity is concerned it makes you wonder about the ballistics in zero g.

That would be a fun physics problem.

"Determine the altitude after one orbit of a bullet fired at 3,000 feet per second from a gun mounted parallel to the long axis of a spacecraft whose altitude is 185 miles. Assume a circular orbit."
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 7:47:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Gravity variations due to altitude are negligible.  It's AIR DENSITY (and bullet drag due to that) which lessens at altitude.

One of the best technical discussions on this topic is a book by Robert Rinker entitled "Understanding Firearm Ballistics".   The book is really intended to be a detailed technical discussion.  It's got WAY too much detaail for your average hunter.  But for a serious student of long range shooting, it's a REALLY useful read.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 7:49:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sighted in my 300 win mag at 2500 feet at 200 yards. Zeroed in.

Got to Utah at 7500 feet and I was shooting 6” too high at the same distance.
View Quote
I can assure you the 6" difference at the 200 yard line was NOT all due to the 5000 foot difference in elevation.  Other factors were in play.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 7:51:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So what you're saying is that an astronaut dropped onto the surface of Jupiter would quickly become a puddle of goo?  Flatter than a pancake with just his little eyes bugging out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Astronauts where?  An astronaut on earth experiences 100% of the gravity that we do on earth.  An astronaut on the moon experiences about 17% of what we do.  An astronaut in the International Space Station experiences about 90% of our gravity.  If we ever land on Mars, it will be about 38% of earth's gravity.

Trick question; Jupiter doesn't have a solid surface to land on!   But the gravity near Jupiter would be about 240% of earth.  If it were solid, a strong person could stand up, but they would be exhausted in short order.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 8:15:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Im giving you a double

What happens in real life does not always correlate to what the guy in the wheelchair tells us it is
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you even physics? Acceleration due to gravity is a constant.
Im giving you a double

What happens in real life does not always correlate to what the guy in the wheelchair tells us it is
Suppose you tell us how in this case the guy in the wheelchair is wrong, or Sir Isaac or Alfred, Galileo, et al.    And what the average shooter could do to compensate for the difference?
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 8:19:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Does anyone have a bullet rise chart?

In pdf or a spreadsheet that i can put my elevation in and get the proper rise calculated?
View Quote
sigh
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 8:25:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
LOL. No it is not. Is the gravity on the moon the same as Earth?
To the OP, the bullet does not rise above the bore axis, it just doesn't drop as fast as at sea level.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL. No it is not. Is the gravity on the moon the same as Earth?
To the OP, the bullet does not rise above the bore axis, it just doesn't drop as fast as at sea level.
Gravity on the moon for all intents and purposes when you are shooting is a constant, just like it is a constant (for the purposes of shooting)  it's just a different magnitude of force, about 1/6th, to be kind of exact.  Gravity is pretty much a constant where ever you are while you are there, but it can change as you move to other places.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 8:28:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So the bullet actually speeds up?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
First reply nailed it.  There is less air friction at higher elevations, but very little difference in the pull of gravity.
So the bullet actually speeds up?
no, it has less acceleration back toward the gun.  It speeds up until it leaves the barrel, may get a bit of a gas jet kick and then immediately starts slowing down.  For an object to go faster in any direction it must have a force acting on it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 8:32:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Isn’t that a myth?  Or is it the female orgasm?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But what about the Coriolis?  You can't forget about the Coriolis.
Isn’t that a myth?  Or is it the female orgasm?
Nope, it's real, it's what makes people who are lost wander around in circles.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 8:39:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Trick question; Jupiter doesn't have a solid surface to land on!   But the gravity near Jupiter would be about 240% of earth.  If it were solid, a strong person could stand up, but they would be exhausted in short order.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, you got me on the "no solid surface" thing.

That being the case, would said astronaut simply drop to the center of the planet, suspended there in a state of gravitational equilibrium?

Since all of the planet's mass is surrounding him equally in all directions, would the gravity, instead of crushing him, pull him apart in all directions?  A leg here. An arm there.  Spleen maybe get launched towards Earth and end up in Cleveland?
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 8:40:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yes it does. Shoot at altitude in Colorado after zeroing at sea level, it makes a big difference at 500 yards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Altitude doesn't change it much at all, shooting angle is a different story though.
Yes it does. Shoot at altitude in Colorado after zeroing at sea level, it makes a big difference at 500 yards.
Well everything in Colorado is higher since the passed them marriagetojuana laws.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 8:43:11 AM EDT
[#26]
I don't know how many otherwise intelligent people have argued to me that bullets rise. Even had one or two take it a step further and argue that they create lift like a wing.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 8:44:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm a geologist, so I actually know something about this.

There is a tiny bit less gravitational attraction at altitude. More importantly, there is some difference in the gravitational constant from place to place, independent of altitude, having to do with the density of the country rock and what is happening with tectonic plate/plates beneath your location.

In other words, there is very, very little (read: almost nil) difference between shooting at altitude due to gravitational effects over shooting at sea level. I suspect the reduced air pressure is far more influential than the reduced gravity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a geologist, so I actually know something about this.

There is a tiny bit less gravitational attraction at altitude. More importantly, there is some difference in the gravitational constant from place to place, independent of altitude, having to do with the density of the country rock and what is happening with tectonic plate/plates beneath your location.

In other words, there is very, very little (read: almost nil) difference between shooting at altitude due to gravitational effects over shooting at sea level. I suspect the reduced air pressure is far more influential than the reduced gravity.
Country Rock sucks
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 8:47:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is clear from this thread that GD doesnt understand how gravity anything works.
It is clear from this post you don't know how apostrophes work.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 8:51:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Astronauts experience 90% of the gravity that we do.
No, no, no, it will be 100% of Mars's gravity.  And a smidgeon of Earth's gravity which will vary as Mars revolves around the Earth, toward the Sun and back, kind of.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 11:32:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Gravity is always working so bullets are always falling. They don’t rise.
View Quote
FPNI
People don’t understand gravity.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 2:48:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I don't know how many otherwise intelligent people have argued to me that bullets rise. Even had one or two take it a step further and argue that they create lift like a wing.
View Quote
I have had people tell me it's the Bernoulli Effect that makes the bullet lift.
I laughed.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well... It is a lifting body.

However, the negligible lift it does provide isn't even close to offsetting or even slowing any amount of drop. Especially since it isn't powered, it's essentially a "glide" fuselage with shit l/d.

That's why only BC calculations, for all practically, matter.

When talking to the average person though; " bullets don't have lift."

ETA - to OP. BC accounts for higher elevations with air density as part of the equation, it doesn't care about gravity (it's a constant). Gravity doesn't have near the impact, in elevations where you can be alive to use a gun, to matter enough to change.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 3:19:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Most are stymied by the intricacies of shooting above 10,000ft.

This shot was particularly technical.

Step 1 Look for Muley buck.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309674/IMG_0026_jpg-747617.JPG

Step 2 Find Muley buck

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309674/P1000110_jpg-747618.JPG

Step 3 Setup shot and wait for muely buck to stand up @680 yds.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309674/IMG_0032_jpg-747619.JPG

Step 4 Hold low and Profit.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309674/IMG_0039_jpg-747627.JPG
View Quote
@JohnBurns

That Buck and landscape are truly amazing.   I am genuinely jealous that you get to hunt a place like that.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 3:25:45 PM EDT
[#34]
At an altitude of 100,000 feet, gravity is smaller by only about 1%. Twenty miles is only a tiny fraction of the size of the earth, and doesn't even reach the upper atmosphere.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 3:28:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Gravitons kids

The latest theory is that gravity pushes instead of pulls
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 3:30:40 PM EDT
[#36]
I always thought that was what the shoulder thing that goes up was for.  It automatically corrects for gravitational bullet rise.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 3:32:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

@JohnBurns

That Buck and landscape are truly amazing.   I am genuinely jealous that you get to hunt a place like that.
View Quote
Never gets boring looking at that part of the world.

A few more pictures of low gravity.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 3:38:39 PM EDT
[#38]
great thread so far.

I'm pretty sure bullets only rise once you shoot them off the edges. Something to do with the air flow going upwards from the ocean flow as it goes over the edge.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 3:44:29 PM EDT
[#39]
So many here have said, quite vehemently at times, that bullets do not rise because they do not generate lift, and therefore their acceleration toward the ground is essentially unhindered.
This may be true for smoothbore weapons.

However most rifles are, well, rifled.
A 55gr FMJBT m193 has a rated muzzle velocity of 3,250 fps.
Which means that out of a 1/7 twist barrel that bullet is spinning at ~330,000 rpm.

In that first tiny fraction of a millisecond after the bullet leaves the bore, it will achieve gyroscopic stability.  This is why a rifle is more accurate than a smoothbore.

And in that one infinitesimal brief and shining moment the bullet may indeed rise slightly above the bore.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 5:00:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Bullets never, ever rise.

They are free-falling objects, and subject to the laws thereof.
View Quote
Lol. Neither one of those statements is true.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 5:09:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Only thing that changes at altitude is air density and temperature. All trajectory calcs use environment variables to change air resistance.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 5:21:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
How do you account for bullet rise at higher elevations?
View Quote
The same way I account for it at sea level
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 5:38:20 PM EDT
[#43]
I'll just leave this here

https://imgur.com/a/myUdvxo
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 11:35:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 11:58:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

And in that one infinitesimal brief and shining moment the bullet may indeed rise slightly above the bore.
View Quote
The projectile may wobble slightly about its center of gravity during that moment, but the trajectory of the COG doesn’t “rise”.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 12:08:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Next OP wants to know why a bullet dropped and a bullet fired horizontally at the same height will strike the ground at the same time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gravity is always working so bullets are always falling. They don’t rise.
FPNI
People don’t understand gravity.
Next OP wants to know why a bullet dropped and a bullet fired horizontally at the same height will strike the ground at the same time.
But what if you’re on a treadmill?
That Newton guy was full of shit.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 12:11:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Gravity diminishes by distance away from center of mass. So there is slightly less gravity at elevation above sea level.  Enough to make a discernible difference? I highly doubt it.
View Quote
You are ignoring the mass of the mountain you are standing on.  Gravity at a given MSL over the ocean is different than gravity at a given MSL on a mountain.

Air density is the only factor that really matters here.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 12:12:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Steel beams can’t melt jet fuel!
View Quote
they can on a treadmill.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 12:13:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

No, it's not.

its determined by the distance between two objects.

OP, there is basically a negligible difference
View Quote
and the mass of the two objects. Mass is part of the equation.

The mass of the mountain, matters in all of this.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 12:15:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Lol...how do helicopters work?
View Quote
They are so ugly, the ground repels them.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top