User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 8:31:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
List, but also grab some things that look good.
View Quote
This.

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 8:33:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Single no kids here.

Just wing it. I buy the same stuff each week with little variation.

If I'm making jumbalya or california burgers or something with lots of random ingredientes, then I just think of making it and and all the ingredients in my head.

And yes I've forgotten to buy rice for my jumbalya and meat for my burgers.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 8:35:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Being newly divorced I’m realizing my grocery shopping habits are at times disjointed.

Are you a list follower? Or do you wing it?

View Quote

Get both.  Take a list, and stock up on what's on sale.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 8:37:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Peruse sales circular.  Note special offers for extra gas points on items we use regularly.
Log into store web site to look for useful eCoupons to download to my rewards card.
Ask shut-in elderly neighbor next door what she needs this week.
Finalize list.
Shop.
Pay with AmEx 6% back on groceries.
Take groceries to neighbor in return for cash.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 8:39:12 AM EDT
[#5]
1. review sales, plan menu
2. order basic canned or boxed stuff for pickup or delivery
3. plan errands route, go
4. take same route through store in case it jogs your memory. buy non perishables on sale and use them to seed next weeks menu
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 8:44:09 AM EDT
[#6]
List on paper
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 8:51:02 AM EDT
[#7]
always make a list
don't forget to leave it on the kitchen table

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 8:51:11 AM EDT
[#8]
We have a list on a whiteboard on the side of the fridge.  

Everyone puts what they want on that list.  

When you are going shopping, you snap a cell phone photo of it.

BOOM - Done.

Best, easiest, and fastest grocery management system I ever had.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 8:51:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This is also a part of my strategy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't overthink it, just go in the door.

College gals in yoga pants on aisle 3, means you need some shit on aisle 3.

This is also a part of my strategy.

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 8:55:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Buy on Walmart app. Do a car pick up and leave. Avoid spending money on random shit that catches me and my gfs eye and we don’t deal with the retards in there.
View Quote

This but HEB curbside. Haven't been inside a grocery store for probably nearly 2 years and it's glorious. No fighting the crowd, no traffic jam on every aisle, no hunting for shit, only get what I need and not a bunch of other crap, and no getting stuck in line waiting to check out.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:01:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm kind of a hybrid of list and roam and grab. The problem with roam and grab is you will always forget something (work lunch) or end up spending to much money because you dont keep track of things.

I shop every other week, so 2 trips a month.

I do make a list of things that I know I will need for lunch at work or current stock of things I use daily. Like almost every single day after work I drink a powerade zero and sit outside snacking on peanuts or something after work.

For dinner foods I know how many days worth of food I will need.
I usually grab takeout somewhere on the weekends so I dont have to spend time cooking

depending on what food I currently have I know I will need to get enough things to make dinner with for say 7-9 evenings or something.

So at that point I walk around and see what looks good. Maybe im feeling taco's one day, sgetti, buffalo wings, BBQ sandwiches. Just whatever I see that looks like a good meal until I have enough things to cover however many meals I will need until my next trip
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:02:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:26:52 AM EDT
[#13]
My wife and I shop in person two days a week.  We hit three stores.  Two grocery stores and one warehouse club.  The process is something like this.

1) Take a look at the ads and determine which sale items make sense.
2) Log into shopping apps and verify coupons have been clipped for appropriate items.
3) List on iPhone broken down by store
4) Get to store early in morning when more workers than customers are present.
5) Shop list
6) Look at clearance section for any additional deals.

The two stores this morning we spent $65 total and got two small top round roasts, two packs of diced ham, two pounds of breakfast sausage, two bags of hash browns, eight cans of chicken breast, and a pack of diapers for our incontinent terrier.  Everything was on sale, we had coupons, or both.  Took us less than an hour.  Tomorrow at the warehouse club is where we will grab the produce for the week.

We also have a Way-Mart + account for staples to be delivered.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:30:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Like this.
Red Dawn (1984) Scene- Getting supplies
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:45:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I work best from a list.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:50:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Both actually, I make a list of what we need to make sure we get it and my wife roams around looking for anything a sale whether we need it or not.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:59:24 AM EDT
[#17]
I start with a list but parts of it are generic. For example, veggies or dinner.  I then look for deals on the main ingredients and plan meals from there.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:07:48 AM EDT
[#18]
We don't ever buy chips, snacks , cookies etc. That being said the wife has always used a list BUT with the current conditions we have modified our grocery shopping so that our stores keep growing and growing. We recently bought a Sams membership and that has changed our cost structure a fair amount both in value AND in the gross cost of shopping. It's just the two of us and money doesn't really matter however buying in Sams has changed her menu planning a good bit. Having a grain mill, gamma buckets, PLENTY of storage space and a pretty good feel for how to do long term storage has helped us a lot in cutting the cost per meal, upgrading the quality per meal and making sure we can manage potential shortages much better than in the past.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:55:42 AM EDT
[#19]
We use a don't forget list. Otherwise we just go full Viking for the obvious stuff.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 12:15:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Single no kids here.

Just wing it. I buy the same stuff each week with little variation.

If I'm making jumbalya or california burgers or something with lots of random ingredientes, then I just think of making it and and all the ingredients in my head.

And yes I've forgotten to buy rice for my jumbalya and meat for my burgers.
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 12:22:49 PM EDT
[#21]
HEB Curbside.

If I never walk into a grocery store ever again, it'll be too soon.

I add things I want in the app as the week goes along, set a pickup time, pull up, drop the tailgate, they load me up, and I'm off.

It's glorious.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 12:27:00 PM EDT
[#22]
If I see something I want I consider it and it's price and either get it or don't.

Shopping with blinders on sounds dull and repetitive.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 12:32:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I generally shop with a list in mind.

Nowadays when the shortages becomes apparent, you grab what you can and can always use it for barter.

F*ck the globalists who engineered this.  LGB!

End the Fed; before the Fed ends you.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 12:35:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Make a list, get to store and realize that I forgot said list at home, buy a bunch of shit that I didnt need, and then forget most of the important stuff that I wrote down on the list that I needed
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 1:31:59 PM EDT
[#25]
I think about what I want to cook for meals and buy accordingly.  I'll use a list for random stuff.  

I always need milk and eggs...  
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 1:50:58 PM EDT
[#26]
I work off a list, but also will buy things that catch my attention.

Sometimes it's hard to walk by the Funny Bones or the mint / dark chocolate Kit Kats and not grab a few.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 2:03:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Follow your list.
Cross things off as you put them in the cart.

If you're eating somewhat healthy most of what you buy will be on the outer edges of the store.

You can make a giant upside down U shape route around the store and anything you need in the middle you would get on the way to the check out area.

My wife took over the grocery shopping tasks when covid hit. I do not miss grocery shopping in the least.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#28]
i want to grocery shop with leanbeefpatty.

WEEK'S WORTH OF GROCERIES- shopping for 1 while on a calorie deficit

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 2:32:51 PM EDT
[#29]
I do both. I make a list on my phone as I go along and then once Im there I wander around as well. Sometimes there are things I might want that I dont necessarily think or or there may be something on sale that would be good to grab at that time.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 2:41:43 PM EDT
[#30]
I do all the cooking/meal prep in the house since I’m retired and the wife still works. I jot down on my list all thru the week and she does the shopping on Sunday mornings. Just an FYI, never send the wife grocery shopping on an empty stomach.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 2:47:02 PM EDT
[#31]
I take a list of the loss leaders from the ad, any digital coupon deals, pick senior day, and often have a $5 off $50 coupon.  I get all the loss leaders I need, and then buy whatever meat or shrimp deal to hit my $50.

If I didn't keep a list of things I was running low on, I wouldn't be able to keep up.  It took me weeks to remember what spices I was running low on.

The ads are in the suck season until the next holiday gets closer.  At least a half gallon of Blue Bell ice cream is $2.47 right now and the store is on my direct route from work to the ranch.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:34:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Here are my steps. 90% of the time it works every time.

-Make a list
-Forget list at home but don't realize it until I get to the store.
-Call wife. No answer.
-Begin collecting items off memory.
-Call wife. No answer.
-Confidently finish shopping thinking I got everything.
-Call wife to confirm. No answer.
-Checkout/go home.
-Realize I forgot several things once I see list.
-Go without missing items until next week.
View Quote

I email the list to myself.  Now, I could forget my phone, but I haven't done that so far.

If I need to add some more items, I'll update the list, resend it, and delete the previous message.  If I end up not going to a particular store for some reason, I'll have the start of the next list in the old email.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:35:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Was roam and grab for decades.  Recently started using a list, and it has helped a ton to not forget certain things.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:38:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:40:10 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a list and follow that

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#36]
I dont shop.. thats what the sammich maker is for.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Usually make a list, forget the list, resort to roam and grab.

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:46:32 PM EDT
[#38]
I make a list in the order of the grocery store layout so I do not have to backtrack myself.
It's a pitiful statement but I can get a weeks worth of groceries in 20 minutes while spending 200 bucks feeding 3 people
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:50:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Here are my steps. 90% of the time it works every time.

-Make a list
-Forget list at home but don't realize it until I get to the store.
-Call wife. No answer.
-Begin collecting items off memory.
-Call wife. No answer.
-Confidently finish shopping thinking I got everything.
-Call wife to confirm. No answer.
-Checkout/go home.
-Realize I forgot several things once I see list.
-Go without missing items until next week.
View Quote

-Forget same items next week.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:51:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Usually make a list, forget the list, resort to roam and grab.
View Quote

During jacket wearing months, I'll put my grocery list in the inside pocket of my jacket once I've written it.  The rest of the time I'll leave my keys on the kitchen counter, and put the list under the keys.  Either way makes it more difficult to forget it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:21:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Mostly list but there’s always a few things that are not listed in the cart.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top