Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 9:49:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Wood stove with mini split as back up for when I am away so the water pipes don't freeze.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 9:50:00 AM EDT
[#2]
We have a natural gas furnace and a wood burner.
I just started the first fire of the season in the wood burner. The room has that smell you get when you start it for the first time of the year. burned dust, heated paint. The next fire won't smell up the room.

Natural gas is going to be very expensive this winter here. We will probably use the wood burner for most of our heat this year.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 9:53:27 AM EDT
[#3]
We have electric central a/c and heat. Being in south Florida we don't turn on the heat very often... if ever. I think last year I ran the heat for about 15 minutes to take the chill out of the air one morning.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 9:55:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Heat pump.

I think my emergency/auxiliary heat has briefly kicked on a grand total of like 4 times in as many years, and it was in the teens.
View Quote

It would have kicked on more, but you had no electricity.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 10:36:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
96% efficient 100,000 BTU natural gas.

It's mother fucking cold here in the winter.
View Quote

I got that same btu in my garage down here
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 5:43:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Dayum. Even in biblical times my gas bill is only $100 in Houston. I have lived in the islands though in HS for many years with no a/c or heat. It's funny to see the locals in puffy jackets when it hits the 60's.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 1:53:24 PM EDT
[#7]
After I got my house paid off about 3 years ago, I spent $13K to redo the entire electric system in my old (older than me) house and get a new HVAC system (Rheem) that no longer includes gas.

My electric bills for both heating and cooling have been cheaper every month since then, with of course no gas bill.

Fortunately I was able to get a no-interest loan on the work and should have that paid off next year.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 2:02:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Mini Splits in each room
Couple of Propane heaters as backup
Wood stove as the Alamo
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 2:02:53 PM EDT
[#9]
gas heat

next house will have a fireplace and/or wood stove depending on what our home build budget is
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 2:19:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Primary is a dual fuel heat pump system.  

When the temperature drops to 35 or lower, it switches to the gas  (propane) furnace.

Plus we have a wood stove on the main floor I'll light in the evenings if we're getting cool and it gets the whole floor up into the 70's pretty quickly
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 2:24:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I live in Arizona
At our main house here in the Phoenix metro area I have a gas furnace as well as a wood-burning fireplace out front and a wood/gas burning fireplace in our living room and a gas fireplace in the family room.

We have a tiny little shitty hardly insulated cabin up in the mountains that gets down to the single digits and up there we generally heat via a woodstove but I also have a gas furnace and a space heater.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#12]
LP and wood.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#13]
In Phoenix AZ, I have a natural gas furnace. Haven't used it in a few years. So mostly the house is heated by the yellow glowing ball of fire in the sky.

Here it is almost November, I still have my AC running.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Anthracite coal furnace.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 2:52:00 PM EDT
[#15]
260k btu anthracite boiler, nothing better and no fuel cheaper!
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 3:27:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
260k btu anthracite boiler, nothing better and no fuel cheaper!
View Quote

Are you buying bagged or loose coal?
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 3:44:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Just installed a pellet stove today. Between that, and a kerosene heater for emergencies,  I am set.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top