Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 11:44:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Close everything related to seated dining due to covid restrictions. That'll keep the kids away
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 11:44:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Usually the bigger problem is with boomers entitled expectation that they should be able to go to a family style restaurant without hearing any sound come out of a child. Kids exist and even if well behaved make noise. If the business is fine serving families either deal with it or leave.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 11:46:12 AM EDT
[#3]
We have two tablets and Bluetooth headphones for my kids (4 & 6) when we go out to eat.  I turn on the wifi hotspot for my phone.  They honestly shut up for two hours strait, it's glorious.

The only thing they eat (and want to eat) is an order of french fries.  The tablets are a rare thing to them, it's not an everyday occurrence, so when they can use them, they are hooked.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 11:48:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In my state, you make it a bar so nobody under 21 is allowed to set foot in the place.
View Quote

Free state here, if there is food kids can be there. Just can't sit at bar.
My town only has one place to eat (not counting Subway), it's a bar. It is packed with families after a school sports event.

Like others said, price.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 11:50:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My parents regularly took me to some of the finest restaurants from a very early age, with the understanding that I would be sitting in a cold dark car if I acted up. As such it was never an issue.

Eta: The chef would frequently want to meet the 5yr old that ordered fois gras, and I knew being good generally meant a tour of the kitchen. I was allowed to read or draw before food hit the table, but once it did I was expected to participate in conversation. No eating of bread before appetizers, and if I ordered a single Shirley temple it could not be finished before the entree. This was before digital devices replaced parenting.
View Quote

I take my kids to fine restaurants so they can learn how to behave in fine settings.

My parents didn't hesitate to take me out either.  It's how you learn to act like a normal human being in public settings.

It's shitty when parents take kids to a nice restaurant and then let them run wild but the mere presence of kids in public, even in a high end restaurant, shouldn't bother people as long as it's clear the kids are being trained to act right.

Link Posted: 1/20/2022 11:53:41 AM EDT
[#6]
The parents should be asked to take their children and leave.  Tell them they can come back when they learn parenting.  It's not the kid's fault.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 11:54:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Who the hell takes kids to a high class restaurant?  Way too stressful.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 11:55:07 AM EDT
[#8]
"We ask our patrons to be respectful of others. Loud children or rude adults will receive their food to-go."

Then have a guy with cauliflower ears assigned to provide the to-go boxes. It isn't really that hard.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 11:57:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't offer kids meals or specials.

That will weed out 99% of the families that would have loud and obnoxious kids.  The few kids that do come will generally be well behaved.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 12:00:44 PM EDT
[#10]
My youngest can real pain in the ass, so we didn't take her places until she could control herself.  It's not OK to subject people to your children's behavioral issues.

If we were at a nice place and either one of my daughters got out of line, we would be instantly out of there and the fucking hammer would be dropping when we got home.  Wanna eat at fancy place like an adult, they have to act like an adult.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 12:02:17 PM EDT
[#11]
put them on the menu
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 12:06:25 PM EDT
[#12]
They could try running a kid's menu until about 7 ish. Maybe keep it fresh, something besides nuggies, a little higher end pizza or ravioli,a few kid's choices.  Then see how that washes.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 12:10:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No kid's menu, and no cheap meal option on the menu.
View Quote

There it is, not to mention don't be afraid to tell parents of said unruly kid they need to leave. However, if one expects to have a no kid experience at their local Outback you're the problem.....
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 12:10:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They could try running a kid's menu until about 7 ish. Maybe keep it fresh, something besides nuggies, a little higher end pizza or ravioli,a few kid's choices.  Then see how that washes.
View Quote

I think you misunderstood the question...
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 12:12:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I’ve been to lots of high-end restaurants and I honestly don’t remember any screaming kids in any of them. If there are children present, which is seldom, they tend to be very well mannered but I can’t remember a single instance of some screaming brat while I’m trying to enjoy a $200 meal.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 12:15:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I figure maybe just encourage a more kid free time slot rather than trying to exclude diners with kids all together.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 12:16:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, this isn’t a problem in any of the nice restaurants we go to.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 12:20:34 PM EDT
[#18]
If a restaurant allows minors, can it really be considered high class?
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 12:21:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
No kid's menu, and no cheap meal option on the menu.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 12:21:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Agree, OP. Kids should NOT be allowed in super high end restaurants. They can’t even appreciate the food anyway.

Every time we go to Carraba’s there’s screaming kids in there. Absolutely ruins the ambience of being in a high class place like that.

The real answer is that kids often really aren’t in places that are actually high end. At least not in my experience.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 12:27:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Fixed menu.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:38:36 PM EDT
[#22]
My 2 oldest are starting to eat like adults so price usually keeps them out of swankier places. We’ve always set pretty high expectations for restaurant behavior and we rarely have any issues while out to eat.

My wife and I sat next a couple of older couples (late 60’s or early 70’s) at a nicer place on Sunday afternoon. One of the men was downright embarrassing. My wife wouldn’t break eye contact with the other man at the table while his table partner was acting like an idiot. They left pretty quickly after that.

We’ve enjoyed mostly empty restaurants for the last 2 years and it seems like some people have forgotten how to behave as they re-emerge from their pandemic hibernation.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:43:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Start your own 18+ restaurant?

I’ll take my kids with me to any fancy restaurant I want.  You’re free to leave and bitch about it on a website like a pussy.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:47:37 PM EDT
[#25]
I just go eat in the bar.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:52:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It's not a high-class joint if they don't police that shit up themselves.
View Quote

This right here.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I hardly ever see children when i go out to eat.

Then again i dont eat at 5pm -- like a child and i go to places that dont have "kids" menus or hamburgers.  Not too many kids like the stuff i eat; Pave of Halibut and Hamachi Tartar.
View Quote

Solid arfcom answer to such questions.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:55:43 PM EDT
[#28]
We usually dine at Montrose area restaurants. Gay people usually don’t have children.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:55:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Usually the bigger problem is with boomers entitled expectation that they should be able to go to a family style restaurant without hearing any sound come out of a child. Kids exist and even if well behaved make noise. If the business is fine serving families either deal with it or leave.
View Quote
Lol, nice shot, newby. I don't think its just "Boomers" that get annoyed with your misbehaving fuck trophies.

Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:59:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I take my kids to fine restaurants so they can learn how to behave in fine settings.

My parents didn't hesitate to take me out either.  It's how you learn to act like a normal human being in public settings.

It's shitty when parents take kids to a nice restaurant and then let them run wild but the mere presence of kids in public, even in a high end restaurant, shouldn't bother people as long as it's clear the kids are being trained to act right.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My parents regularly took me to some of the finest restaurants from a very early age, with the understanding that I would be sitting in a cold dark car if I acted up. As such it was never an issue.

Eta: The chef would frequently want to meet the 5yr old that ordered fois gras, and I knew being good generally meant a tour of the kitchen. I was allowed to read or draw before food hit the table, but once it did I was expected to participate in conversation. No eating of bread before appetizers, and if I ordered a single Shirley temple it could not be finished before the entree. This was before digital devices replaced parenting.

With my kids, it's a challenge. We only go out to eat a handful of times per year, so it's not like they get a lot of training. And high end around MethMcalester simply means there is no super-sized option on the menu.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:03:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:04:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Is it REALLY a problem for you?

My kids and now my grandkids are pretty well behaved. If we are in public and something like a terrible-2 tantrum happens, we remove them from the establishment.

That said, others children don't bother me. They're kids....who cares? I'm not so fancy and soft that I can't have a little kid noise in the back ground.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:04:34 PM EDT
[#33]

But muh short stacks!
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:04:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Seriously...  if it's truly "high class", there aren't children.  Even rich parents need a break from their brats from time to time.
View Quote

Somewhere around $500 million net worth the kids become a kidnapping risk and you have to start taking them with you again. Huge pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:05:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm a Boomer and I agree with you 100%.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:13:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Lol, nice shot, newby. I don't think its just "Boomers" that get annoyed with your misbehaving fuck trophies.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fact that you call children "fuck trophies" says a lot about your attitude and outlook. People that think your way are either: 1 salty incels/genetic dead ends; 2 idividualistic liberals who cant see beyond their own "needs"; or 3 boomers looking to bitch about a minor/rare/nonexistant inconvienence. If you hate children and can't stand to be around them, the problem is with you and not with God's plan for our reproduction.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:14:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The fact that you call children "fuck trophies" says a lot about your attitude and outlook. People that think your way are either: 1 salty incels/genetic dead ends; 2 idividualistic liberals who cant see beyond their own "needs"; or 3 boomers looking to bitch about a minor/rare/nonexistant inconvienence. If you hate children and can't stand to be around them, the problem is with you and not with God's plan for our reproduction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:21:56 PM EDT
[#38]
I bet none of you guys have had a half eaten mini cheeseburger tossed through the air and hit your mashed potatoes and gravy at a texas roadhouse have ya
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:24:29 PM EDT
[#39]
There are ways to have your cake and eat it too, but there is such little common sense left in the world that it rarely works out.

I had reservations at a top place in the city for my anniversary, but our baby sitter got sick at the last second and I couldn't scare up a backup plan on such short notice.

I called the restaurant and explained my situation, and my hesitance to intrude on other guests evening with my toddler. I asked if they had an out of the way table where we wouldn't bother anyone, and they said that would be no problem.

We ended up being seated at the Chef's table, and we had a wonderful evening with the kid being entertained by all the sound and commotion of the kitchen, and nary a guest was bothered.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:33:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Nude waitresses and dancers swinging around a 'stripper pole' should do the trick of keeping the screaming kids out of the restaurant.

Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:42:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like his "fucktrophies" lEgAcY misbehave. Managing to reproduce is such an accomplishment
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:46:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Unless they highly autistic or some other mental disorder, I am usually pretty good at making eye contact with offending children to give them the special "evil eye" look that says to them I am going to snag them in the middle of the night and sell them to Gypsies. When you can look at kids the right way and they know you see through their shit, it usually shuts them down. Trick is to make sure none of the adults see you if the kid want to cry to them about you and you can claim ignorance. 60% of the time, it works every time.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:53:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind of trash refers to kids as "fuck trophies"?
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:55:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

High end “Greek style” paintings maybe?
View Quote

Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 3:00:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Sounds like his "fucktrophies" lEgAcY misbehave. Managing to reproduce is such an accomplishment
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/0c96c781a5e6260d0827848aec47d205-381.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/0c96c781a5e6260d0827848aec47d205-381.gif

Mine are too young to really be mobile or misbehave, but they do sometimes cry for a few minutes or make funny sounds. Im not locking my kids and family in the house until they are able to sit silenty for 2hrs out of fear that your meal at texas roadhouse might be disrupted. If getting married and reproducing arent something to look forward to, why do I see so many "men" on here blaming there inability to get a girl on society and modern women.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 3:02:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Who the hell takes kids to a high class restaurant?  Way too stressful.
View Quote

My kid eats well, is well behaved and likes new things.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 3:05:02 PM EDT
[#47]
I have rarely, if ever, seen this issue actually happen.

My kids lost it while we were on vacation at a moderately upper-middle-end restaurant when they were 2 and 4, roughly.  We asked the waitress to pack our meal to go and ate at the hotel (we were on vacation and had been on the road a long time).

My kids have been champs at high end restaurants ever since.  

They can rack up a mortgage payment in a sushi restaurant, though.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 3:08:08 PM EDT
[#48]
My father had a pretty dastardly way of dealing with unruly children at parties or events.   Once he'd had enough of the screaming and misbehaving child (and their parents failing to handle it) he'd casually walk past and pinch the kid on the arm.

He had his arm-pinch down to a science and it hurt like hell but didn't even leave a mark.  Then when the kid would scream and point at him he'd feign total innocence and deny everything. The crazy thing is his technique actually worked. Nobody would believe that this well dressed, well respected man would ever do anything like that. This would cause the child to start screaming even louder when its parents refused to believe it and almost always ended up with the family leaving the event.

Sometimes the old ways are the best.  However in today's clown world the old ways would probably get him arrested.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 3:10:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Unfortunately, its hard.     I have been is some of the best steak houses in the world and still have had kids eating there.  But Kids were well behaved.  Also no kids menu.  So you have to buy kids something and nothing is less then $50, it keeps alot of people away.  

There is one local sports bar chain that after 7 PM you must be 21 to enter.   I like it as defiantly no kids.   It is just not fine dinning.   Bar food.   Other option is some places like Red Robin have a bar section that is 21 and over only.   Makes it somewhat better.      

Link Posted: 1/20/2022 3:12:32 PM EDT
[#50]
That is what Applebee's and Red Robin are for.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top