User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 7:31:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Was the rabbit moving?
View Quote

Oh, from his stories, obviously moving at full clip.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 7:34:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Apparently after riding a bike to get there no less.

"The third week of June 1994 was the worst in Fairchild’s 74 year history. A deranged gunman had killed five people and wounded 22 at the base hospital. Four days later, a B-52 practicing for an upcoming air show plunged to the ground. Security Forces Officer Andy Brown witnessed both tragedies.

“I was visiting with the gate guard and the call came over the radio,” said Brown. “‘Fairchild to all posts and patrols, we have an alarm at the ER. Information there’s an individual in the hospital running around with a shotgun.'”

Brown had spent the afternoon patrolling base housing on his bicycle. Fortunately, he was just three tenths of the mile from where the shots were already ringing out.

“Before that transmission had ended, I was out of that gate shack and put on my helmet and was pedaling to the hospital,” said Brown.

By then, a former airman named Dean Mellberg had already slipped inside a bathroom stall to remove a rifle from his duffel bag. His first two targets: a pair of Fairchild psychologists who forced Mellberg out of the military. Mellberg then started randomly shooting people in and around the hospital.

“I continued to ride further,” Brown described. “I began to hear gun shots. They were reverberating around the housing area and the hospital buildings.”

Mellberg was firing a MAK-90, a Chinese made AK-47, outfitted with a 75 round drum.

Brown was armed with a Beretta nine millimeter pistol. The senior airman was seriously outgunned, but still got off his bike and yelled at Mellberg to drop his weapon.

“He wasn’t reacting to me, and I yelled again and that’s when he turned his attention and his rifle on me,” said Brown.

That’s when Brown fired the shots that would end the Mellberg’s mental health rampage. As people hid behind cars and trees, Mellberg disappeared behind the Beretta’s front sight.

“When i fired the fourth round, he jumped up in the air, spun around, and landed flat on his back and was motionless,” described Brown.

When police processed Mellberg’s gun, it was still loaded with 19 unused bullets. That’s one reason why Brown’s 70 yard pistol shot won him the instant praise of the Spokane community."

https://www.kxly.com/fairchild-hero-reflects-on-famous-shooting-in-new-book/

View Quote

Damn- I had forgotten he had to pedal to get there first too...
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 7:44:30 PM EDT
[#3]
At 25 yards, Miculek or Todd Jarret could put a round on three guys running in different directions in under one second. I say if he gets to shoot, they're hit.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 7:50:04 PM EDT
[#4]
If you're that far then you should be running, a guy with a rifle isn't going to engage a running target at 200m if he has easier targets closer.

Bottom line is a pistol is an oh shit weapon, use it if you have no other options.

Running away should always be your first choice if you can do so safely.

You'd be an idiot to engage a guy at 200m with other people around, you'd smoke a kid and be fucked for life.

Life isn't a video game, people only get one life, use it well.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 7:57:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Alvin York did pretty well with a 1911 against a bunch of Dietermeisters
View Quote

Damn Straight!
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 8:04:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Keanu Reeves and Lucas are not even on the same planet as Jerry Miculek.

View Quote

And out of that group, how many are on the same planet as someone who has actually been in a gunfight and not just developed really good skills on a static range???

Some of the best “shooters” I know, shit the bed as soon as some stress is involved. Now imagine when that stress involves getting shot with real bullets….
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 8:06:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
With todays Red dots people should be able hit a man sized target at 100 yards. I would often toss in 50 yard shots on steel targets during the 3 guns I ran. Most people ran irons back then.
View Quote
Hell I never had a problem nailing clay pigeons  at 50 yards with a G19 with irons and I'm not am accomplished shooter by any means.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 8:09:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

And out of that group, how many are on the same planet as someone who has actually been in a gunfight and not just developed really good skills on a static range???

Some of the best “shooters” I know, shit the bed as soon as some stress is involved. Now imagine when that stress involves getting shot with real bullets….
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Training can fix that. Every skilled shooter on a 2 way range in the ME started out training on a range on a US military base. Force on Force training would help with that, contact drills, etc.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 8:10:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Hitler was pretty effective at removing a dictator with just a pistol.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 8:20:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Everything everyone posted here seems to agree with what I had assumed.

The reason I asked this hypothetical question is because I can't always have my AR with me, and neither can most people.

Most of us are far more likely to have a pistol on our person when we encounter trouble than a rifle, and I want to know how far can one possibly stretch the envelope of feasibility with a handgun (the most extreme
example), if you are trying to flee with your life.
View Quote
Handguns with a 4" barrel can be pressed out to a max of 125 yards for a real world scenario IMO. The sub compact 3" barrel types of 9mm I wouldn't press past 75. Just IMO
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 8:23:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
At 25 yards, Miculek or Todd Jarret could put a round on three guys running in different directions in under one second. I say if he gets to shoot, they're hit.
View Quote

Not in an ambush. Neither would clear their holster most likely because they would be gunshot from multiple rifles at multiple angles.

Jerry and Todd shoot cardboard and steel from a timers beep start NOT from the first shots of an ambush directed solely at them.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 8:25:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Target ID & justified engagement at 200m in a civilian setting? lolololololololol
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 8:26:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Ask Seung-Hui Cho.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 8:29:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
smart people use a pistol to fight their way to their rifle.
View Quote

"Rifles belong in trash cans. Shotguns are far superior."
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 8:34:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

This, any of the top USPSA shooters, are poetry in motion.  KR and Lucas are good, but don’t have the years and miles the top shooters do.

Most of the top pistol champions aren’t too bad with a shotgun or AR either.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 8:49:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I’m retired but I used to teach firearms at the police academy. I’m a decent pistol shot. But when we did blue on blue training with simunitions I found myself unable to use the sights and instead just relied on point and shoot instinctive shooting. Simunitions STING! It definitely increases your adrenaline and stress level. FWIW I got pretty good COM hits on my students without using the sights at all.
   It was eye opening as well as a lot of of fun. All engagements were within 7- 10 yards.

It made me very proud of my students that I taught to shoot when they were able to “tag”me too.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 8:52:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If Jerry Miculek was behind cover there is not way I would go after him.
View Quote

I would not bet against jerry
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Real masters of the art like Keanu Reeves and Lucas Botkin, huh?
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 8:57:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Reeves is generally regarded as being a highly competent 3 gun shooter, thanks to his training via Taran butler.
View Quote

Based upon what match performance?
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 9:04:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

came here to say this. I buy a lot of stuff from Lucas, he runs a good business but I see no evidence that he is worth even bringing up as a shooter. Anyone can look good shooting guns on a range you own with a professional camera crew. Same goes for Keanu Reeves.His qualifications are what exactly? Rich hollywood guy who spent a weekend at the gun bunny ranch because of a movie he was filming? He seems like a cool guy but I doubt he even owns guns.

Link Posted: 3/23/2022 9:06:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

That’s not really true.  Most shootings last 3-5 seconds.  They are decided by what you have on you in that time.  

If you have time to get a rifle, you have time to call 911.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 9:20:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So could a person who trains exclusively with a pistol, and has attained that level of proficiency, effectively defend himself against multiple opportunists armed with rifles?
View Quote
Simple answer: No.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 9:51:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

came here to say this. I buy a lot of stuff from Lucas, he runs a good business but I see no evidence that he is worth even bringing up as a shooter. Anyone can look good shooting guns on a range you own with a professional camera crew. Same goes for Keanu Reeves.His qualifications are what exactly? Rich hollywood guy who spent a weekend at the gun bunny ranch because of a movie he was filming? He seems like a cool guy but I doubt he even owns guns.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keanu Reeves has spent 6 months and many tens of thousands of rounds training under Taran Butler. When you have the money to afford that kind of ammo and training, it's not much of a surprise. He's definitely better than most shooters on this forum.

As for Lucas, the only evidence I have for him is what I've seen on his channel. The dude seems accurate and fast. I would buy instruction from him if I could.

ETA: Here's a vid of Keanu Reeve's training.

https://youtu.be/SEoMh_Z7FFs
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#24]
200 meters with a pistol, especially a 9mm with a 3.5-4.5” barrel is a stretch on a moving target that is firing back. Even with my X6, it would be a big gamble. Covering fire is really what it would be.

I would have some confidence with my braced scorpion at that range, but it’s not a rifle, lots of energy loss and drop.

50-100 meters different story.  I could fuck your shit up.  Most of us could.  

Now, a man with a handgun against multiple attackers “hunting” him with rifles...  You’re likely toast in most settings. In the woods, trees are cover against handguns, concealment against rifles. Inside a house, at house distances, handgun may have a speed advantage, especially navigating through doors and moving things with your off hand.  Open field, you’re just fucked, maybe you can score a hit on one guy before getting to visit the afterlife.

Oddly enough, I would probably be more comfortable shooting prone with a handgun over a long gun. So some advantage there.

Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:12:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If Jerry Miculek was behind cover there is not way I would go after him.
View Quote

Jerry is kind of a human version of a Phalanx CIWS.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:20:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Keanu Reeves has spent 6 months and many tens of thousands of rounds training under Taran Butler. When you have the money to afford that kind of ammo and training, it's not much of a surprise. He's definitely better than most shooters on this forum.

As for Lucas, the only evidence I have for him is what I've seen on his channel. The dude seems accurate and fast. I would buy instruction from him if I could.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

None of that makes you a “highly competent” 3 gunner.

First off, if you’ve never shot a 3 gun match you’re not a 3 gunner at all. Running through stages with good trainers like Butler doesn’t mean squat if you don’t step out and actually test your mettle in competition.

Second, “highly competent” 3 gunners consistently have high finishes in major matches over the course of years. Gaining a reputation in the sport is not won quickly.

Don’t get me wrong, I respect the man and the effort he puts into his craft. He is a legitimately great actor and probably a respectable shooter.

But that doesn’t make him a “highly competent 3 gun shooter.”
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:24:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That video really doesn't show much and certainly doesn't show him to be one of the best 3 gun shooters. Taran is a fantastic shooter and like Jerry can basically shoot anything that goes bang very well. I have no doubt that at the end of his training Keanu coud beat most people off the street and/or casual shooters. Taking that training and making it work in a match(or in the fantasy in the OP) is totally different than making runs that look good on camera.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:26:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

First off, if you’ve never shot a 3 gun match you’re not a 3 gunner at all. Running through stages with good trainers like Butler doesn’t mean squat if you don’t step out and actually test your mettle in competition.

Second, “highly competent” 3 gunners consistently have high finishes in major matches over the course of years. Gaining a reputation in the sport is not won quickly.

Don’t get me wrong, I respect the man and the effort he puts into his craft. He is a legitimately great actor and probably a respectable shooter.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fine. I probably misread an article describing his category. I thought he went into 3 gun. I would still say that he is a highly competent shooter, in general.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:28:06 PM EDT
[#29]
As long as the pistol is chambered in 9mm Luger, you can be very effective.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:41:57 PM EDT
[#30]
A coordinated ambush would be hard to survive regardless of whats in your hand.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:54:05 PM EDT
[#31]
I think that 6 months was the time training/whatever for all actors for all the various scenes in the john wick 3 movie. sounds like he spent a lot of time working on horse stuff for that one horse scene.
That video of him training with taran is at closer range than i think the club i shot at would have allowed steel targets. May have just been the camera angle though.

my experience has been shooting is a skill that drops off really fast if you aren't constantly doing trigger pulls. I shoot around 8k rounds a year and I feel like I still have plenty of room for improvement.

But anyways Keanu seems like a cool guy as far as hollywood types go
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:54:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
USAF Staff Sergeant Andy Brown used a 9mm Beretta against a guy with an AK-47.

Head shot the shooter from 75 yards.
View Quote

That was in Washington at McChord IIRC.  

He was lucky and wasn't a highly trained shooter.  Most SF troops are barely able to qualify.  Don't get me wrong, some are very good but my current SNCO is a SF and he has shared the sausage of CATM, it's not pretty.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:59:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
A coordinated ambush would be hard to survive regardless of whats in your hand.
View Quote

This exactly. Everything seems great in movies and TV, in real life, outnumbered people don’t last long. Look at the whole lone survivor/red wings actual ambush(not the movie/book bs). 4 heavily trained(although inexperienced) SEALs armed with rifles got destroyed by a relatively small group of enemy (similar 4:1 ratio in OP scenario). All the training in the world does not make up for superior numbers. Even if the trained pistol guy can identify and engage targets 2-3 times faster than the opponents, by the time he reacts, he is going to have a bad day.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 11:01:18 PM EDT
[#34]
It all depends on how well you shoot when rolling.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 11:50:15 PM EDT
[#35]
If you had more training and experience you could answer this question for yourself.  Seek that out.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 12:03:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Fine. I probably misread an article describing his category. I thought he went into 3 gun. I would still say that he is a highly competent shooter, in general.
View Quote

So what exactly are you basing that on? Are there some known drills he's run that we can compare to known shooters? I agreed that he is probably fairly competent especially at the end of his training but those Taran videos are all giant steel close up so it looks a lot more impressive than it is.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 12:20:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Anyone that has ever hunted big game knows even a rifle isn’t a magic death ray.  I have seen some game hit with lethal shot  placement  go a good distance
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 12:58:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Unless your making head shots, pistols generally dont stop determined attackers quickly, not fast enough to prevent them shooting you, its not like the movies where 1 shot drops bad guy dead on the spot.. Loads of leo shooting where bad guys soak up lots of hits. Happens with rifles too, just much less often.
View Quote

Handguns can be very effective. Not sure what caliber this gun store owner carries but he dropped the robber like a rock.

Prolly a mans caliber, like a 45.

Link Posted: 3/24/2022 1:25:01 AM EDT
[#39]
lol, nope.

Best way for you to find this out is by learning the truth in person, OP, is by taking carbine courses and getting the trainer's permission to use your EDC, whichever that may be. You'll soon find out that rifle>pistol each and every time.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 1:29:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

---
My favorite pistol story was in Austin.  Some idiot wanted to commit suicide by cop, so he went on a shooting spree with a 22lr.  He shot at over a dozen buildings downtown - I don't think he bothered to aim at a single person.  Well he decided to shoot at the police station near downtown when a horse cop was putting away his horse.  With the reins in one hand, and a pistol in the other he did a 100yard heart shot-DRT.  Pretty sure the cop shot competitively...

Ok, someone posted the actual article - apparently he was holding 2 horses...
View Quote

There was a pretty long thread here when that happened.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 1:32:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Rifle>Pistol>Rock>Sharp stick
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 1:38:22 AM EDT
[#42]
I used to shoot USPSA style matches and learned a lot.  Now I'm shooting NRL22 and learning even more.

I'd put my money on a trained rifleman over a trained pistol shooter pretty much everywhere outdoors.  Indoors it's a wash mostly.  Maybe a slight advantage to the pistol.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 1:41:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Everything everyone posted here seems to agree with what I had assumed.

The reason I asked this hypothetical question is because I can't always have my AR with me, and neither can most people.

Most of us are far more likely to have a pistol on our person when we encounter trouble than a rifle, and I want to know how far can one possibly stretch the envelope of feasibility with a handgun (the most extreme
example), if you are trying to flee with your life.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 1:58:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/24/2022 2:02:57 AM EDT
[#45]
A really good pistol shooter can land a torso shot somewhat reliably out to about 100 yards. After that, you’re just pushing the limitations of what the weapon was designed for. Rifles are superior for almost any engagement past knife range.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 2:08:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Hitler was pretty effective at removing a dictator with just a pistol.
View Quote

Yeah, but that was close range on a static target.

Let’s see how he’d do on the mover at 25m…
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 2:11:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After Mellberg refused, Brown fired four shots from his 9mm pistol, with two rounds hitting the perpetrator in the head and shoulder, killing him.
So he missed two of them and had to fire until the threat was stopped meaning an unknown volume was needed, do civilians get a clear pass at that distance to engage an active shooter? Did Brown know what was beyond and behind his target where he knew any likelihood of a missed round wasn't going to harm civilians? What if there's innocents behind the gunman?

A rifle at that distance, even a properly sighted in with the irons being used back in that day is still more better.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 2:23:17 AM EDT
[#48]
I have a hard time imagining a scenario where you need to engage someone at 50m in self defense. Sure it can happen, but it's rare that somebody would be essentially hunting you.

When you see home security video where a home owner opens fire the bad guys usually make a rush for the exit, even if they outgun the guy.  In that respect just delivering shots in the general area of the bad guy will probably end the incident with the bad guy running away.

If you face an enemy with a rifle who keeps bringing the fight to you even after you shoot in their direction then you're in some real trouble. In that case if all you have is a pistol you probably want to run and hide, and maybe set up an ambush if he's really hunting you.

But really most civilian shootings will occur at a distance of a couple yards where a pistol will serve well.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 3:13:57 AM EDT
[#49]
When I saw the OP list keanu reeves and lucas fucking botkin with JM I immediately looked at his join date. No surprise there. OP probably doesn’t own a .22lr and his zev glock was his first handgun.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 3:24:06 AM EDT
[#50]
A single VERY skilled pistol shooter against perhaps five rifle shooters of modest skill at 50 yards?  The odds of the pistol shooter surviving are slim if numerous rifle shooters fire at him at the same time.  Let's imagine that the pistol shooter is fast enough to kill two riflemen at the first engagement...that still leaves three rifle shooters firing at him from different angles and locations.  Chances of the pistol shooter surviving are slim as he will likely take at least one round which will have serious negative impact on his ability..perhaps he still gets another rifle shooter and we are now down to two rifle shooters firing from different locations against a now wounded pistol shooter...strong advantage rifle shooters.  I'm guessing the pistol shooter has a survival rate around 10-15%..that means 85-90% chance pistol shooter dies.

If the rifle shooters are of moderate skill (moderate is higher skill than modest) they would be smart enough to all fire at the pistol shooter from different angles at the same time.  Pistol shooter takes out one or two rifle shooters while the remaining three rifle shooters are all still shooting from different angles..Pistol shooter dies quickly.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top