Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/27/2021 10:17:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:18:23 PM EDT
[#1]
They get big in Georgia
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:20:13 PM EDT
[#2]
The nastiest bugs aren't always the biggest.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:20:13 PM EDT
[#3]
We get tarantulas, black windows, and brown recluse around here south of the mason dixon.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:21:44 PM EDT
[#4]
The really big ones here in Texas start about the Red River and go down into Mexico.

They really like cheap wine. My buddy in the picture split a fifth of Night Train Express with the little philly in the photo.

I met up with this rascal out by Ft. Davis on Hwy 12 a couple years back.

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:21:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Ive seen black widows in northern Ontario so really, nowhere is safe.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:22:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Far as I can tell, the "Giant bugs there" thing is mostly mythological. The insect world isn't all that different place to place in the US.

In SC we have big orb weaver spiders but they're not dangerous at all. Tarantulas aren't either.

Mosquitos are worse in the PNW than in the south.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:22:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Crabs like to hang out down south
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:23:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The biggest spiders we have up here are the wolf spider, grass spider, barn spider.

I hate them enough.

What states do the really big nasty ones start?
View Quote

Uh... you oughta get out of the house more
Fishing spider
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:23:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I once read that cockroaches will eat the eyelashes of infants.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:24:24 PM EDT
[#10]
So dusty around here, the roaches ride around in dune buggies.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:24:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ive seen black widows in northern Ontario so really, nowhere is safe.
View Quote

I think they’re pretty much world wide.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:25:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I have one that attacks passing cars.

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:26:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Far as I can tell, the "Giant bugs there" thing is mostly mythological. The insect world isn't all that different place to place in the US.

In SC we have big orb weaver spiders but they're not dangerous at all. Tarantulas aren't either.

View Quote

Big cockroaches are bad pretty much over the south, I would imagine.  One plus of living in an area with fire ants is a drastic reduction of tick populations compared to the north.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:27:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Siberian mosquitos will do some damage.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:35:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Big cockroaches are bad pretty much over the south, I would imagine.  One plus of living in an area with fire ants is a drastic reduction of tick populations compared to the north.
View Quote

Oh, yeah. Fuck fire ants. They're little, but fuck them anyway.

We don't have the FL cockroaches here, just the common roaches they call palmetto bugs. I haven't seen any in the house since we got a cat, but I know they're living in my jelly palms.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:41:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm not putting up with baldfaced aholes this year.  A plan is being developed.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:42:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:44:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Around here they mostly come out in the Summer. Mostly.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:44:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Mason-Dickson line
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:44:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I've lived in the Amazon before. We're all big pussies in comparison.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:46:13 PM EDT
[#22]
We have wolf spiders (I leave the alone) as well as walking sticks.  The latter are pretty neat.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:47:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:47:56 PM EDT
[#24]
There’s a lot more creepy crawly shit in Kansas than one might think. Tarantulas, brown recluses, black widows, scorpions, lizards, 87 different kinds of wasps, copperheads, timber, prairie, and diamondback rattlesnakes...among other things.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:49:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Don't go to LA, ever
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:49:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

That was never my experience. Goddamn mosquitos down here are brutal. I spent some time in Washington and Oregon and never really had any issues with them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:51:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
They're north of the Red River as well.
View Quote
The ones in OK only drink 3.2 beer though. The ones in Texas are hard core. They like fortified wine.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:52:01 PM EDT
[#28]
The tarantulas and scorpions are really bad in Texas, but the rattlesnakes are definitely the worst.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:55:18 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm in Daytona and I don't really see very big bugs/spiders that often.  Keyword being see, I know they're there.

It's also been a while since I've seen roaches.  I think there's a decent sized Huntsman spider in the house and I know there are some big wolf spiders running around.  As creepy as they are, I leave them alone.  I don't kill creatures unless I absolutely have to.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:55:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I once read that cockroaches will eat the eyelashes of infants.
View Quote

That's just the baby cockroaches in Texas, like this one...

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:55:39 PM EDT
[#31]
I remember some big ass June Bugs in Idaho Falls when I was a kid.

Other than the Japanese Hornets that recently made their way into northern WA, there's really no big bugs around here.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:00:15 PM EDT
[#32]
The southwest has a wasp that's big enough to kill and drag tarantulas to their nest.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:01:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Bugs are bugs.  You can't handle them stay out.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:01:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
No fishing spiders in my county per dnr
View Quote

Cicada Killers?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:04:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That was never my experience. Goddamn mosquitos down here are brutal. I spent some time in Washington and Oregon and never really had any issues with them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They definitely can be rough up north, but I can take you places in south Alabama that are pretty bad with mosquitoes.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:04:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The southwest has a wasp that's big enough to kill and drag tarantulas to their nest.
View Quote

We have Tarantula Hawks where I am; had one in my yard last summer... tarantulas too. Neither are particularly dangerous or aggressive to people, just scary looking.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:05:20 PM EDT
[#37]
can anyone recall the story that was posted here from the guy that was airforce(?) working in alaska conveying the size of the mosquitoes there. something about how one landed on the runway and they pumped x amount of jp1 in it before they realized it wasnt a friendly craft.

i still remember somewhat the story. had me cracking up with the mental picture!

ETA:  it was in a thread about mosquitoes. probably archived
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:07:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Scorpions big enough to keep as pets and Roadrunners that put the Jurassic park raptors to shame but the scariest pests of all are the Californians

J/K californians
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:08:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

They definitely can be rough up north, but I can take you places in south Alabama that are pretty bad with mosquitoes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wherever there’s a lot of still water they will be thick. The worst I’ve ever seen was up in Canada, and I’ve spent a lot of time in the Deep South.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:10:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:10:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Wherever there’s a lot of still water they will be thick. The worst I’ve ever seen was up in Canada (like fucking pterodactyls up there) and I’ve spent a lot of time in the Deep South.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wherever there’s a lot of still water they will be thick. The worst I’ve ever seen was up in Canada (like fucking pterodactyls up there) and I’ve spent a lot of time in the Deep South.

There are fewer natural predators for mosquitoes the further north you go.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:11:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
can anyone recall the story that was posted here from the guy that was airforce(?) working in alaska conveying the size of the mosquitoes there. something about how one landed on the runway and they pumped x amount of jp1 in it before they realized it wasnt a friendly craft.

i still remember somewhat the story. had me cracking up with the mental picture!

ETA:  it was in a thread about mosquitoes. probably archived
View Quote

If they’re like the ones in Canada, they’re huge! Look like fucking pterodactyls flying around. It must be the moose blood.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:11:29 PM EDT
[#43]

I hate those things.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:15:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

If they’re like the ones in Canada, they’re huge! Look like fucking pterodactyls flying around. It must be the moose blood.
View Quote

ours get pretty damn big here. probably different species. thank god the moose stay north...dont want our skeeters getting gain off that moose blood!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:17:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Unless your house is a complete shithole it’s not gonna full of bugs down here.

And outside, well, there are bugs everywhere since it’s kinda part of the “outdoors” deal anywhere.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:18:07 PM EDT
[#46]
The big ones start once you leave the piedmont of the Appalachians. It doesn't get cold enough, long enough, to kill the big ones off.  I'm in the piedmont.  I do a few spray barriers around my house three times a year and I'm good to go.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:49:11 PM EDT
[#47]
I try to stay north of hwy 2
It's the only way to be sure.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:21:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The ones in OK only drink 3.2 beer though. The ones in Texas are hard core. They like fortified wine.
View Quote

Hahaha

OK can sell real beer outside liquor stores now. It was game changing Circle K put up big ass billboards on the side of 40 to celebrate
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:33:32 AM EDT
[#49]
We have trillions of fire ants and termites are all over the damn place.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:39:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Many moons ago my ex wife and I moved to NC, south of Durham.  We moved in when the house was done and I remember sitting on the back deck in the summer evening.  The night was alive like I've never heard before.  The eves and siding were crawling with creatures I've never imagined seeing.  So many different insects, all together, just going about their business.  Pretty freaky.

There was one day while I was clearing some dried, clumped up dirt from the foundation when I uncovered a black widow nest.  I had never seen one before, having been raised in NY.  I'm assuming a female.  Marble sized body and a leg span the size of a silver dollar. I swear now, to God, that that bitch chased me half way across the front yard.  The part that disturbed me the most was how smooth and shiny she was, with thick legs.  

I still won't let my arms or legs hang over the bed because of what she did to me.  And that was 22 years and 400 miles away
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top