Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 5:27:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hope Jcs1 has tiny feet, cause they are BOTH going in his mouth!

At mid-range distances, a .308 in a Service Rifle will hold the X-ring.  1000 yards CAN be an issue - if you have to load it for a gas gun - but the .308 Win is hardly a poor target cartridge.  

Again, YMMV.  Beyond that, I don't really give a damn.

Y'all have a nice day now....
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 5:36:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Fewer shots than it takes me to score a hit on a running jack rabbit which I've done multiple times at distances from 100-300 yards through a 6.5-20x scope.

It's all relative.   I am accustomed to 200-300 yard shots on California ground squirrels where they generally don't stick around for a 2nd shot.   Have plugged tons of those on the first shot despite wind.   I have hit sitting jack rabbits at distances out to 400 yards on the first shot and near 600 on the 2nd or 3rd shot.

There's minute of angle, and then there is minute of whatever you are used to shooting.    Things bigger than a jack rabbit are relatively easy for me for my two primary long range guns.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hope Jcs1 has tiny feet, cause they are BOTH going in his mouth!

Y'all have a nice day now....  

A nice day because of what? The part where you insinuate that Rictus does not have experience, or the part where you quote him out of context and go on to answer him not realizing that he and I were joking about the constant of gravity, and how everything will "drop like a stone" because gravity has an equal effect?

Actually, both will give me something to chuckle at for the rest of the evening.

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 5:38:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A nice day because of what? The part where you insinuate that Rictus does not have experience, or the part where you quote him out of context and go on to answer him not realizing that he and I were joking about the constant of gravity, and how everything will "drop like a stone" because gravity has an equal effect?

Here I thought you were just picking nits.  I don't know who "Rictus" is, so I have no basis to evaluate his experience and my comment was more general.

The "dropping like a stone" comment I originally replied to was not exactly in the same tone.  The various ~6mm loads out there are marginally better rounds for target shooting than .308 (often enough to make switching worth it), but not the orders-of-magnitude improvement that comment implied.  600 just plain isn't that far.  That said, I use 80s for 600 (AR), as any advantage is worth it.

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 5:40:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How many rounds would you have to shoot for practice to be able to hit a man sized target at 500 yards with, say, a 20'' bbl AR.? What about a .308 bolt gun with a decent scope? I've only shot out to 100 yards.

Edit: Haven't shot an AR, all I can afford for now is my shotgun and unconverted Saiga.

depends how much he is dodging and weaving....

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 5:40:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here I thought you were just picking nits.  I don't know who "Rictus" is, so I have no basis to evaluate his experience.  

Which is why I hoped you had tiny feet, because his experience is vast.

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 5:46:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Easy first round hit with the LTR and Leupold M3.  With my AR middy, probably get a hit on the first round on a calm day, second in steady mild wind.  Gusty, who knows.  5.56 kinda sucks in the wind.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's discernible on the internet how?  

Never mind.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 5:48:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Easy first round hit with the LTR and Leupold M3.  With my AR middy, probably get a hit on the first round on a calm day, second in steady mild wind.  Gusty, who knows.  5.56 kinda sucks in the wind.

Try 77s.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 5:49:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never mind.

By reading more and posting less.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 5:51:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Perhaps everyone should take that advice.

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 5:54:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try 77s.

Mine is 1:9, so I never tried them.  

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 5:55:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Shooting prairie dogs is my passion.  I have 8 rifles dedicated to that pursuit, from 17 caliber up to 280.  My longest 1 shot hit was 597.  I've made contact at 816 with 2 shots.  I chronograph my loads, however, and have some great ballistic programs that allow me to factor in exact barometric pressure and give me the number of clicks I need for the lasered distance.  That being said - my front rest is a cutom job that weighs well over 15 pounds, and my favorite rifle( a .260) weighs 14.4 pounds with the scope.  Off-hand?  If I hit at 250 I'd feel fortunate.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, just guys like you who crawl in here and trash the real SMEs we have onboard.

Too bad Sinister doesn't post much anymore.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 6:02:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No, just guys like you who crawl in here and trash the real SMEs we have onboard.

Trash?  Seriously?  

Never mind.  

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 6:05:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Mine is 1:9, so I never tried them.  

Try 75s.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 6:17:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can poke epraslick and see if he wants to have fun :-)  

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 6:22:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can poke epraslick and see if he wants to have fun :-)    

He knows less than anyone about this mid range shooting.

But seriously, he was the other name I thought of.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 6:33:02 PM EDT
[#19]
It's tough, but doable.  If you'd like my story, send me a PM.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 6:50:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never mind.

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:03:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Here I thought you were just picking nits.  I don't know who "Rictus" is, so I have no basis to evaluate his experience.  

What's going on here?  So far it seems that jcs1 has pretty much stated things how they are.  I don't know any of these dudes but really this seems more of a technical discussion and not just a dick swinging contest...

Anyway, with a .308 and my good 175gr SMK load, 500yds is easy on an IPSC.  I've only done it only a few times since my target size tends to be way smaller. (Or distance longer)

I've had 90% hits on an 18"x22" piece of steel with plain old xm193 at 600yds in fairly windy conditions from an elevated position shooting over 3 hills(can never remember the technical term).  Before that I went 10 for 10 first shots of the day with my 6.5x47L load.  Insanely easy.  Just needed a good wind call, atmospherics and range.  I then switched to 1k yds on the same size target and was getting around 70% hits.

Even with my AR-10T and crap south african ammo I was getting around 80% hits on that 600yd target.  Mainly one needs to have a correct velocity(retrieved via chronograph) and a good ballistic model with the correct atmospheric data and range.  I think what really kills people is that they don't have the gear to get all the data.  Ipod touch, kestral, chronograph, Swaro Laser guide and a good understanding of ballistics to choose the correct ballistic model and bullet for your load is important. (Especially if what you're shooting is some random milsurp ammo.)  Also once you get a good feel for what different loads should do, it's easy to see where the data gets wonky and make corrections/recheck your input variables.  Finally once you've shot a load enough, one tends to get an even better feeling for how much it really will vary and you can just draw up a universal dope chart for just about all conditions.  (Then just either use judgement based off conditions or shoot a spotter shot in order to correct from.)

I will say that a huge factor (beyond a really kick ass wind call) in being able to shoot really far and be effective is being able to spot your hits.  If you're self spotting and you're shooting in brush and wet conditions like here in the wet side of the northwest, you're pretty screwed.  Now if you have a spotter who is worth his salt, he can get you on target.  Sometimes that's my favorite, though most my buddies won't admit the team effort.  I've been able to get a buddy with very little experience on target and making good hits at 930yds on an IPSC by watching trace and for small indicators like breaking branches, etc.  More recently I got a friend to hit an even smaller 20"x20" target at 930yds with his 30-06 match iron sighted bolt action in 4 shots.  Not only that, but he was slung up.  It was fucking awesome!

There are a huge amount of factors that go into being able engage targets at distance.

Still with the 6mm and 6.5mm cartridges out now being able to engage a man size target at 500yds requires so little wind correction that I'd consider it pretty easy.

I think that all the gizmos really helped me get a good understanding and confidence at 600yds.  Now they're not something I rely on as much at the shorter distances. They take a lot of the magic and guesswork out of the whole long range thing. (Some food for thought.)

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:13:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's going on here?  So far it seems that jcs1 has pretty much stated things how they are.  I don't know any of these dudes but really this seems more of a technical discussion and not just a dick swinging contest...

It is, what is the rate of drop on a stone?

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:14:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

32 fps^2
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 8:06:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Ballistic Coefficient and Air density make such a comparison silly.  But I think the term is more being used as a colloquialism.  Anyway, point missed...
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 8:18:42 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Ballistic Coefficient and Air density make such a comparison silly.  But I think the term is more being used as a colloquialism.  Anyway, point missed...

Yea, which as why it's so funny that my joke towards Rictus got WAY THE FUCK blown out of proportion by the other dude.

Link Posted: 11/1/2011 4:16:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I was originally replying to VTHOKIESHOOTER.  He implied that the .308 just plain wouldn't make it past 3 or 400 yards.

Link Posted: 11/1/2011 4:18:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Mr. Praslick is a great coach and possibly the best wind reader I've ever had the privilege to meet.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 4:18:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yea, which as why it's so funny that my joke towards Rictus got WAY THE FUCK blown out of proportion by the other dude.

Uh, I picked nits right back at you and then THAT got blown out of proportion.

Link Posted: 11/1/2011 4:36:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mr. Praslick is a great coach and possibly the best wind reader I've ever had the privilege to meet.  

You REALLY need to find a sense of humor.
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 5:20:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good thing you didn't bother to quote the point you actually made. You know, the one to which I was responding.

Palma is a KD 1000 yard match.  It's an adequate cartridge for that.

No, it's a required cartridge for that. Most of the Palma shooters I know use something 6 or 6.5mm flavored if they're not practicing for international comps.

Very true, the .308 is a great ctg. that is very accurate but starts running out of steam quickly however it is required to be used by the Palma rules.  My experience shooting Palma in windy conditions is that shooting a clean at 800 yds isn't too difficult for a good shot that can read the wind well.  At 900 yds the wind is starting to affect the bullet a lot more and when the range gets to 1000 yds one can easily miss the whole damn target and even hit the target next one over.  I've seen some very good shots that are well know shaking their heads in disbelief after missing a wind call at the Rocky Mountain Palma Matches at Raton, NM  
Check out what the F-class guys are shooting at 1000 yds to get an idea of what is accurate and bucks the wind well.
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 12:11:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 12:21:05 PM EDT
[#32]
This place never ceases to amaze me.
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 1:19:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You REALLY need to find a sense of humor.

Possibly, Dan.  It's been a long week.

Link Posted: 11/1/2011 2:00:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This place never ceases to amaze me.

Yup!  

Link Posted: 11/1/2011 6:03:47 PM EDT
[#35]
There's definitely a shortage of pitchers in this thread.

Shot this yesterday...

Granted, this is only 100yds... but was the first time shooting this rifle.

Three shots easily covered with a dime.

Link Posted: 11/2/2011 6:49:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 7:52:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The other two shots didn't even print?

The pic is misleading. The three shots are visible. The dime is only there for size reference.

I did shoot some 5 and 7 shot groups that were almost as nice, but I didn't make the trip to the range for an accuracy test...  I wanted to test some subsonics I worked up on the reloading bench. Only problem was... I forgot to bring 'em along.
Instead... I just blasted thru some FGMM so I'd have more brass to work with.
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 10:58:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 11:35:52 PM EDT
[#39]
I got to shoot my Mod 0 at 500 yards a couple of weeks ago and did a lot better then expected. This was my first time shooting at 500 with any rifle. I was able to keep 20 of 20 rounds in a 2.5 foot by 2.5 foot square. The wind was not bad maybe 6 or 7 MPH from almost dead right so figuring that out was not to hard. Aiming for dead center the first round hit just inside the left edge of the target. A few clicks and was good to go.  I would like to shoot 500 yards again because I could use the practice. It is a three hour ride to the range for me. I was using Black Hills "Mk 262". I also might change to a higher power scope. 10x is not enough for my bad eyes anymore.

I would guess I would have a very hard time hitting a man size target at 500 yards with irons from either of my 20" AR 15 rifles. I can hit pretty good at 300 with them though.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 6:36:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Not that difficuIt. I used to make consistent hits on prairie dogs out to 500+ yds. with a .220 Swift. Rear scope mount was shimmed. Listed in Varmint Hunter Mag.'s 500 Yard Club.

Might be very diffiuclt if having to hit such a small target on the first shot, however, wihout the advantage of "dialing-them-in" with successive shots.
Use mirage as wind indicator.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 8:56:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
At 300 yards, your typical .223 round is at the mercy of both the wind and gravity.  At 500 yards with an AR I'd say that it's challenging.  500 yards with a good .308 bolt gun is doable. However, at 400 yards the .308 also starts dropping like a stone.

I don't care what people say, having the skill to be reliably hit a man or game sized target at 500 yards or further takes great skill and practice, and should be considered an a worthy achievement.

Dropping like a stone?  What load are you using?  600 yards isn't a problem for an AR or a .308.

The .308 is dropping like a stone when you take other calibers into consideration. The 6.5 flavor of bullets is once that certainly comes to mind.

Agreed. Not that it isn't doable the parabolic arc is just much more defined with the .308WIN. I need to shoot a box at 500, 600, and 1,000 to show the angles of entry. Some folks would be surprised.
Pretty much only the ones that don't understand external ballistics.

Yup. I recall a post on here stating my drop at 1,000 was on the order of 30 feet from my 300 yard zero. He was utterly surprised.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 8:59:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Based on what? His own word?

I don't know the guy so I can't claim to judge his background but I'm sure not taking some guy's word on the internet for truth.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh for fucks sake. Is "SME" the new "tier" or "operator" bullshit code word?
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 9:05:17 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know the guy so I can't claim to judge his background but I'm sure not taking some guy's word on the internet for truth.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/3/2011 9:05:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
There's definitely a shortage of pitchers in this thread.

Shot this yesterday...
http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g369/yullose/1.jpg
http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g369/yullose/2.jpg

Granted, this is only 100yds... but was the first time shooting this rifle.
http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g369/yullose/3shotdime.jpg
Three shots easily covered with a dime.
http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g369/yullose/dime.jpg

The other two seven shots didn't even print?

Fixed.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 9:07:30 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Actually, it's been around for decades. But, only a Subject Matter Expert would know that...

Link Posted: 11/3/2011 9:21:04 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/3/2011 10:13:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, it's been around for decades. But, only a Subject Matter Expert would know that...  

This.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 10:40:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I once asked the owner of a DOD training facility what an SME was
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 10:42:22 AM EDT
[#49]
That's it. I'm trademarking TITS for "Trained In The Shit." It'll be the new big thing. Might even trademark COCK for "Captain Of Confirmed Kills."

Link Posted: 11/3/2011 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
That's it. I'm trademarking TITS for "Trained In The Shit." It'll be the new big thing. Might even trademark COCK for "Captain Of Confirmed Kills."

Its the internet. Leave the butthurt for date nights.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top