Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/8/2017 1:04:09 AM EDT
The battle went on for 3 days, so I assume you'd be able to plink from 100-400 yards a lot.

Rules:
You don't have to carry all your ammo, it could be stockpiled behind Greek lines.
You use the 5.56 ammo of your choice
You can change your barrel as needed

There were about 100,000 to 150,000 persians against about 7,000 greeks at the beginning.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:05:11 AM EDT
[#1]
A couple dozen at the most
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:05:18 AM EDT
[#2]
1 Mk 19
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:06:49 AM EDT
[#3]
chesty.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:08:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1 Mk 19
View Quote
Boom. This guy nails it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:08:24 AM EDT
[#5]
300 duh
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:09:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
1 Mk 19
View Quote
This man tells the truth.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:12:19 AM EDT
[#7]
And 1 Abrahms.  Just for fun.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:13:03 AM EDT
[#8]
1 Ma Deuce.  

I know 5.56 but still.      
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:16:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A couple dozen at the most
View Quote
Probably only six if you cancel their leave and threaten them with a working party. 
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:16:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Meaning no disrespect for the Marines, but...
the Air Force has a handier way of disposing of disagreeable aliens.

Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:18:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Not very many, a squad or platoon at most.

I don't see very many bronze age infantrymen advancing into accurate automatic rifle fire.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:18:25 AM EDT
[#12]
87 jarheads

That was easy
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:22:29 AM EDT
[#13]
They have to find it on the map first

Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:23:46 AM EDT
[#14]
The Marine Corps has already fought a battle similar to what you are suggesting at Chosin Reservoir. I can't recall the exact numbers offhand, but I know the 1st Marine Division was surrounded by probably 120,000+ Chinese and managed to absorb multiple human wave assaults prior to their breakout. Those Marines wrecked that Chinese army. And they were using M1 Garands and carbines.

I would bet a brigade size force of Marines in a good defensive position could not only hold out against a force the size of the Persians, but wreak havoc on them as well. Even if the Persians came at them in human waves with a total disregard for their own lives, a few thousand men armed with M4s and M16s can put up a helluva lot of firepower.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:23:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Ummm groups of marines (Or any other soldier) aren't usually Armed with just rifles. Since World War II or  so a squad has often had anywhere from 2 to 3 belt feds (depending on if/how they arrange fire teams).  

A few "automatic rifles" will really mess up he Persians.  Interlocking belt feds would mess them up even more in a 300 scenario.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:24:26 AM EDT
[#16]
They would still end up with the Army having to bail them out.

ETA much love and respect for my Marine brothers.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:24:40 AM EDT
[#17]
A couple dozen rag heads would have fallen over dead and the rest would have been trampled in the retreat.  Would have taken no more than a rifle platoon.

Now, had they not run in fear but kept advancing, probably take a company sized element to shoot them fast enough.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:31:45 AM EDT
[#18]
2, and it wouldn't have to be Marines or Army soldiers.

2 Airforce guys could do it. (Or even Navy or Coast guard)

Hell, one contractor could do it, and start a brand new career with the Video.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:36:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Seriously 10 so long as there barrels hold up and they are sitting on an endless pile of mags.

No one continues to run into uncertain death. There'd be surprisingly few casualties.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:42:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Would they be susceptible to persian archers?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:47:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Marines would use a drone to eliminate Xerxes followed by shock and awe tactics to cut enemy supply lines. The enemy would rapidly surrender, and both the Greeks and Persians + minions would bow to their new overlords.

Oh. I'll say 300 marines.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:47:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Would they be susceptible to persian archers?
View Quote
I would think so. I think this will be harder than it sounds if the Marines don't have their SAWs at a minimum.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:51:11 AM EDT
[#23]
It depends.

How many Persians do you want dead, and how many Persians do you want pregnant?

Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:54:11 AM EDT
[#24]
A reinforced BLT would fuck them pretty good, a full MEU would eat them alive. An RCT would kill them all then create a medium size country (for the era).
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:55:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Not very many, a squad or platoon at most.

I don't see very many bronze age infantrymen advancing into accurate automatic rifle fire.
View Quote
In real range in open areas would mean it wouldn't take many. What's the maximum distance an arrow can kill at? Like 300 yards for medieval times ones(and that is really spray and pray), I'm guessing the bronze age ones are less. With modern weapons and tactics you could keep a vast number of people too far away to really fight back. I'm not even sure how they would work against modern body armor meaning they would have to be very accurate with the shots.

This isn't even beginning to mention how scared everyone would be at the sound of those weapons. I think most would start to run in fear as people started dropping.

Imagine if the marines were outfitted with what they would actually have, not just 5.56 ammo. A couple of scout snipers on a hill 1k yards away just picking off what would be officers or leaders in the opposition. You could actually pull off something stupid like in the expendables where someone starts pointing at people and the snipers take them down. Send in a Greek to tell them they have the support of the gods, point at something and have a sniper hit them. It would scare the living shit out of people who had no idea what was going on. Think of night vision being used, a couple of armored transports, etc.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:05:05 AM EDT
[#26]
In that type of situation you would actually be better off with WW1 era water cooled MGs than modern stuff for sustained fire.

The heavy MGs developed for WW1 were made to deal with mass wave attacks. Add in mortars with airburst shells and they would probably start to break ranks and run.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:06:09 AM EDT
[#27]
300 US Marines vs 60000 Romans Ultimate Epic Simulator
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:11:25 AM EDT
[#28]
I think some of you might be missing the AR (M16/M4) only requirement here. That's a lot of trigger pulling. The Marines better start out really early—1000m or more.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:16:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I think some of you might be missing the AR (M16/M4) only requirement here. That's a lot of trigger pulling. The Marines better start out really early—1000m or more.
View Quote
By the same token, as some have already stated, don't underestimate the psychological effect of the rifles, either.  After even just a few dozen Persians get struck down by the unseen hand of some vengeful unseen apparition, morale and unit cohesion are gonna suffer.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:30:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
By the same token, as some have already stated, don't underestimate the psychological effect of the rifles, either.  After even just a few dozen Persians get struck down by the unseen hand of some vengeful unseen apparition, morale and unit cohesion are gonna suffer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I totally agree. I think the Marines take it for the reasons you've stated.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:44:59 AM EDT
[#31]
The correct answer is One. One man with a magic "BOOM STICK".

These were not an advanced people we are talking about. They were still offering sacrifices to a variety of gods and consulted their mystics before battle.

One man standing before an army starts summoning thunder and a horrific "death hole" magically appears in his enemies? "He's a wizard!" "It's a demon!" "The gods are angered at us and have sent their harold to deliver a plague of exploding chest holes!"

I figure about 2 mags tops would be all you need. The resulting collective "Fuck that shit" would be epic.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:55:19 AM EDT
[#32]
After about 1000 rounds spent, the persian soldiers would most likely decide that they had something better to do.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 3:02:40 AM EDT
[#33]
How many ARFCOMMERS with AR's would it take to beat the Persians at the battle of Thermopylae in 480BC?

Link Posted: 8/8/2017 3:14:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 3:16:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 3:49:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
SEMPER FI!
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 3:53:53 AM EDT
[#37]
In that scenario, the marines are all using Thompson SMG's. A Roman legion would stay out of range and let their ballistas, onagers, etc. do all the work.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 3:54:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The battle went on for 3 days, so I assume you'd be able to plink from 100-400 yards a lot.

Rules:
You don't have to carry all your ammo, it could be stockpiled behind Greek lines.
You use the 5.56 ammo of your choice
You can change your barrel as needed

There were about 100,000 to 150,000 persians against about 7,000 greeks at the beginning.
View Quote

You could do it with one.  Pick a spot where they can't get to you and proceed to make the barrel glow.  Massed troops with no way to get to you would be a slaughter.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:04:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
In that scenario, the marines are all using Thompson SMG's. A Roman legion would stay out of range and let their ballistas, onagers, etc. do all the work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
A 45ACP might have poor ballistics by modern standards. But flipping the selector switch on that Thompson to semi and picking off the Romens, including the ballista crews, one at a time might be surprisingly effective.

A open bolt Thompson might not be an ideal weapon out to 300 meters. But against unprotected mostly stationary infantry in the open? I'd rather be on the side with Thompsons.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:05:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The correct answer is One. One man with a magic "BOOM STICK".

These were not an advanced people we are talking about. They were still offering sacrifices to a variety of gods and consulted their mystics before battle.

One man standing before an army starts summoning thunder and a horrific "death hole" magically appears in his enemies? "He's a wizard!" "It's a demon!" "The gods are angered at us and have sent their harold to deliver a plague of exploding chest holes!"

I figure about 2 mags tops would be all you need. The resulting collective "Fuck that shit" would be epic.
View Quote
They weren't advanced but they weren't stupid. I think they would realise they were facing some kind of weapon, even if they couldn't explain how it worked. There would no doubt be a strong element of shock and awe, but I severely question whether one man with a boom stick is going to bring an army to a halt, not even if the man is called Harold.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:13:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
SEMPER FI!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SEMPER FI!
Damn right! And, Go Army!

I had to, bruh!
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:19:07 AM EDT
[#42]
There is an animated series called GATE.

Basically it's a modern day army against people with middle ages technology.

Pretty satisfying to watch.

Skip to 2:38

Just think too, the Marines could bring some huge ass amps and blast heavy metal on the battle field. Totally freak out and demoralize the enemy.They were primitive people after all.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:23:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Damn right! And, Go Army!

I had to, bruh!
View Quote
Roger that....
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:27:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Marines?

1 fucking jarhead would drive them b4 him, and hear the lamentation of their women.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:33:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:41:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjLuYDf-VAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFxrzSrVv0I

Just think too, the Marines could bring some huge ass amps and blast heavy metal on the battle field. Totally freak out and demoralize the enemy.They were primitive people after all.
View Quote
Ok..

Weird. But cool.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:51:36 AM EDT
[#47]
The longest range for a bow is what 200ish yards historically?

Give me about a company including heavy weapons guys. 

about half a platoon would cover the pass that was given up by the traitor. 

The rest would build a series of sand bag fighting positions as fall back points.  Would use locals shields to cover in case archers get into range.  Shields and armor of enemy would be useful after each wave to reinforce walls/fallback points.

I would get really ugly for the Persians REALLY fucking fast.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:58:36 AM EDT
[#48]
At the Hot Gates? A platoon could do it easily. The ARs would get pretty hot, I'd recommend some M249/Mk46 SAWs or STM-556/Ares Shrike type ARs with quick change barrels. But the ARs would likely be enough as long as they kept to semi-auto fire and rotated between two rifle squads firing and the rest resting themselves and their guns. 

If they had Greek support for their flanks (the Persians eventually went around using a goat path) they could take out the entire Persian army and if Xerxes was foolish enough to go to the front to see his men (as was common) he could get shot up pretty good. 
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 5:03:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjLuYDf-VAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFxrzSrVv0I

View Quote
I loved that show
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 5:03:32 AM EDT
[#50]
send one sneaky marine in to draw dicks on all of their shields while they sleep.

watch them die of humiliation when they form a shield wall the next day.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top