BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:36:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't think the Orcs would be that clever.  They would just trample each other in the panic.  Let their panic and the wall be your main weapons and save ammo for use at the Pelenior fields.

Like I said, drop frags on their heads to deal with the survivors.
View Quote
They're all wearing steel plate armor, how much is the tiny frag of a frag grenade going to effect them? Especially since they're clustered so tightly that the impact would get muffled by a few bodies?

Fuck hiding behind walls against an gigantic army of heavily armored infantry who include suicide bombers. Just ambush them a hundred times on their approach march to Helm's Deep and fall back, defense in depth. Maximize shock and fear and don't try to turn it into a war of attrition.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:38:43 PM EDT
[#2]
One weapons company. Rifles, MK-19s, Mortars, M-2s...done.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:50:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Look what the British army did to the Zulus at rorkes drift and that was with bad terrain and breach loading martini-henrys...or with the Marines vs Japanese suicide charges...frontal attacks vs modern weapons arent a good decision
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:56:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Spartan led Greek force of 4,000 guards held the pass of Thermopylae that the Persians needed to get past to invade Greece proper.

We have to remember that while the Persian soldiers themselves might not have understood what it would be like fighting Greeks (because most had never even saw them), the Persian leadership knew what was going to happen, they just didn't really believe it. Who is working with the Persians? None other than the exiled former king of Sparta, that dude is giving a play by play account of how the Greeks fight, how the Spartans fight, they still fucked it all up. Xerxes basically blows him off. Luckily there is no disgraced former Marine that works for the enemy, Jim Webb was too busy on book tours.

A Marine Platoon could win the day, but not alone. Greeks will be there with them, but as a supporting effort only. If nothing else, I want my guys eating hot meals before and after and the Greeks will provide that, no fucking MREs for us.

Here is why I'd do with my platoon armed only with M4s and ACOGs.

1. We all dress like Greeks and stage our weapons and body armor (we'll need them to possibly resist arrow storms) at the pre-staged firing line. The goal is to get them to deploy as if they are fighting hoplites
2. Distances will be marked in 100 meter intervals, with accompanying range flags for wind.
3. All weapons will be properly zeroed at a location many miles away, far enough from Thermopylae, and no Greeks can watch (cant risk a Ephialtes incident). The makeup of the ad hoc squads I'm creating will be based on past shooting ability. The better will shoot further, the worse will get less challenging marksmanship duties.
4. I don't plan to show them the full might of what we're capable of the first battle, just give them enough to break and run. Why spoil everything if we might need to engage them a second time?
5. Xerxes has to die. He's the mission. The proud fucker is going to plant his throne on the side of the mountain just outside bow shot range of the Greeks (300-500 meters away) so he can watch the battle in comfort, while he is shaded, fanned, and given wine and blowjobs. I'm going to interrupt his OODA Loop using a barrage of 5.56 from the best shooters in my platoon shooting from supported positions at known distance and they will light his ass up. I want his ass riddled in bullets and I want his whole army to see it happen. I want them to think Zeus just openly killed their Emperor.  
6. Targeting Xerxes initiates the battle. At that point we will not wait for the enemy to charge our line, we will light them up at max effective range. I don't want panic pushing them into close combat with us, I don't want the pressure from forces in the rear pushing those in the front up closer to us. I want them nowhere close to us. I plan to utterly destroy their morale, cohesion, and I want them to think they've just been attacked by their Gods. I want them to have room to run. The battle isn't about defeating cannon fodder, I don't give a fuck about them. If the Xerxes plan works we already won the war, by chasing off the Persian infantry we also won the battle. So fire into them with intense sustained fire until they break and then we cease fire and start high fiving one another.
7. At this point we break contact, we leave our initial fighting positions, shed our bullshit Greek dress, then take cover in pre-established camo'd fighting positions along the side of the road to the flank of the point element of the Spartans. If the Persians want to keep playing, they will still think the Greeks were responsible for what happened (only those who don't think the Gods did it). So if and when they charge, my guys, now in camies, face paint, and inside their fighting holes, will x-ambush the barbarians and give them a nice rogering from up close and then let the Spartans loose on the surivors to do their thing.
8. I'm also going to have a squad pulling guard on the hidden goat trail. If any Persian force uses it, their point element gets annihilated in near ambush with rapid rate of fire, the rest turn and run away.
9. Battle is over, war is won. Me and my guys get the pick of whatever booty we want. We get our own weight in gold. Supposedly the whores from Athens, the Hetaira, were quite good so they are brought out to us riki-tik. After we fucked and drank our fill, we take our gold and go back to the future. Where we'll probably have to start prepping for some gay ass IG inspection.

* We might be Marines but there is no fucking way I'm risking mine or their lives on those rickety ass boats. So no triremes or naval engagements for us. Besides, with Xerxes dead the throne is in jeopardy and they will be lucky to get across the Hellespont intact.
View Quote
Don't forget to have your Corpsman check the whores first.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:06:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Spartan led Greek force of 4,000 guards held the pass of Thermopylae that the Persians needed to get past to invade Greece proper.

We have to remember that while the Persian soldiers themselves might not have understood what it would be like fighting Greeks (because most had never even saw them), the Persian leadership knew what was going to happen, they just didn't really believe it. Who is working with the Persians? None other than the exiled former king of Sparta, that dude is giving a play by play account of how the Greeks fight, how the Spartans fight, they still fucked it all up. Xerxes basically blows him off. Luckily there is no disgraced former Marine that works for the enemy, Jim Webb was too busy on book tours.

A Marine Platoon could win the day, but not alone. Greeks will be there with them, but as a supporting effort only. If nothing else, I want my guys eating hot meals before and after and the Greeks will provide that, no fucking MREs for us.

1. We all dress like Greeks and stage our weapons and body armor (we'll need them to possibly resist arrow storms) at the pre-staged firing line. The goal is to get them to deploy as if they are fighting hoplites
2. Distances will be marked in 100 meter intervals, with accompanying range flags for wind.
3. All weapons will be properly zeroed at a location many miles away, far enough from Thermopylae, and no Greeks can watch (cant risk a Ephialtes incident). The makeup of the ad hoc squads I'm creating will be based on past shooting ability. The better will shoot further, the worse will get less challenging marksmanship duties.
4. I don't plan to show them the full might of what we're capable of the first battle, just give them enough to break and run. Why spoil everything if we might need to engage them a second time?
5. Xerxes has to die. He's the mission. The proud fucker is going to plant his throne on the side of the mountain just outside bow shot range of the Greeks (300-500 meters away) so he can watch the battle in comfort, while he is shaded, fanned, and given wine and blowjobs. I'm going to interrupt his OODA Loop using a barrage of 5.56 from the best shooters in my platoon shooting from supported positions at known distance and they will light his ass up. I want his ass riddled in bullets and I want his whole army to see it happen. I want them to think Zeus just openly killed their Emperor.  
6. Targeting Xerxes initiates the battle. At that point we will not wait for the enemy to charge our line, we will light them up at max effective range. I don't want panic pushing them into close combat with us, I don't want the pressure from forces in the rear pushing those in the front up closer to us. I want them nowhere close to us. I plan to utterly destroy their morale, cohesion, and I want them to think they've just been attacked by their Gods. I want them to have room to run. The battle isn't about defeating cannon fodder, I don't give a fuck about them. If the Xerxes plan works we already won the war, by chasing off the Persian infantry we also won the battle. So fire into them with intense sustained fire until they break and then we cease fire and start high fiving one another.
7. At this point we break contact, we leave our initial fighting positions, shed our bullshit Greek dress, then take cover in pre-established camo'd fighting positions along the side of the road to the flank of the point element of the Spartans. If the Persians want to keep playing, they will still think the Greeks were responsible for what happened (only those who don't think the Gods did it). So if and when they charge, my guys, now in camies, face paint, and inside their fighting holes, will x-ambush the barbarians and give them a nice rogering from up close and then let the Spartans loose on the surivors to do their thing.
8. I'm also going to have a squad pulling guard on the hidden goat trail. If any Persian force uses it, their point element gets annihilated in near ambush with rapid rate of fire, the rest turn and run away.
9. Battle is over, war is won. Me and my guys get the pick of whatever booty we want. We get our own weight in gold. Supposedly the whores from Athens, the Hetaira, were quite good so they are brought out to us riki-tik. After we fucked and drank our fill, we take our gold and go back to the future. Where we'll probably have to start prepping for some gay ass IG inspection.

* We might be Marines but there is no fucking way I'm risking mine or their lives on those rickety ass boats. So no triremes or naval engagements for us. Besides, with Xerxes dead the throne is in jeopardy and they will be lucky to get across the Hellespont intact.
View Quote
Excellent post!
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:08:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
For what? Modern Marines carry more serious shit than a professional whore from 5th Cent BC. They'd earn their pay that night...We'd probably accidentally destroy all of Greek civilization by introducing some crazy shit to them they have no built in immunity for.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:08:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
After about 1000 rounds spent, the persian soldiers would most likely decide that they had something better to do.
View Quote
Hit Xerxes and his camp with artillery fire and the game is over
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:35:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What's your definition of the word primitive?
View Quote
They probably believe in different gods, probably believe in witch craft, they think slavery is kosher, hell they probably believe the sun going across the sky is magic.
Also that the world is flat, the earth is the center of the universe.

You know how people acted during the middle ages? It's probably 10 times worse than that.

They would probably lose their shit if one of the Marines had a grenade launcher/mortar. Not to mention tracers fired from a machine gun.  They would probably think it was black magic or something.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:41:20 PM EDT
[#9]

gd
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:43:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Okay, but how did they even feed that many people to keep them ready for battle?

Maybe I'm wrong here, but it just seems that many people, thousands of years ago moving around would be a pretty big deal

I could perhaps see a few thousand moving around without a large issue. It just makes me wonder how many of these stories were hyped up and passed down through word of mouth and each time the enemy force got bigger and bigger.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Conscripts, allies, mercenaries along with the main army made up the whole force.
Okay, but how did they even feed that many people to keep them ready for battle?

Maybe I'm wrong here, but it just seems that many people, thousands of years ago moving around would be a pretty big deal

I could perhaps see a few thousand moving around without a large issue. It just makes me wonder how many of these stories were hyped up and passed down through word of mouth and each time the enemy force got bigger and bigger.
I really doubt that there were ever any 100k strong armies in the ancient world. The combined Roman legions weren't even that number at the height of the empire. Historical sources from the ancient world often exaggerate numbers to a laughable extent. 
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:49:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'd go a step further and put money on a MEU establishing a medium size country.
View Quote
An MEU would make the roman empire look like a backwoods country club.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:51:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Meaning no disrespect for the Marines, but...
the Air Force has a handier way of disposing of disagreeable aliens.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/23/ec/92/23ec927009901eb0a01eaba2fb1782c9.jpg
View Quote
and friendlies
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:53:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Someone needs to go ahead and make this game / movie already so we can get it out of our system.  

Yes, I've seen the battle simulator YouTube videos but clearly that isn't enough.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:58:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In that scenario, the marines are all using Thompson SMG's. A Roman legion would stay out of range and let their ballistas, onagers, etc. do all the work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
In that scenario, the marines are all using Thompson SMG's. A Roman legion would stay out of range and let their ballistas, onagers, etc. do all the work.
A Thompson smg fired at a 45 degree angle becomes a ballista as well.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 3:20:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I would think so. I think this will be harder than it sounds if the Marines don't have their SAWs at a minimum.
View Quote
Exactly! 120,000 fighting men with swords and bows will still take a significant force to suppress/kill. Let's look at facts here.

120,000 men will require obviously 120,000 rounds bare minimum. That's 4000 thirty round mags in a rifle with a 300 yard or so effective range. If you have 500 Marines armed with M4's, it would require 8 mag changes and that's if every round met it's target and killed it. You can at least double the mag changes and enemies hit at a bare minimum. So, 500 marines given 16 loaded mags each may do the job.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 3:27:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Not very many, a squad or platoon at most.

I don't see very many bronze age infantrymen advancing into accurate automatic rifle fire.
View Quote
I bet it would surprise you. How many walked into accurate automatic gun fire during the first WW?

The Persians brought 300,000 men.  How many human waves could a squad of marines actually hold off?  

Getting shredded by machine guns sounds like the suck but the idea of getting hacked to death in hand to hand combat sounds worse and was the typical fashion of warfare in that day and age. getting mowed down at 100 yards sounds down right pleasant in comparison.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 3:36:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Exactly! 120,000 fighting men with swords and bows will still take a significant force to suppress/kill. Let's look at facts here.

120,000 men will require obviously 120,000 rounds bare minimum. That's 4000 thirty round mags in a rifle with a 300 yard or so effective range. If you have 500 marines armed with M4's, it would require 8 mag changes and that's if every round met it's target and killed it. You can at least double the mag changes and enemies hit at a bare minimum. So, 500 marines given 16 loaded mags each may do the job.
View Quote
War isn't a math problem, you're completely discounting the human element.

Also Marines is capitalized.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 3:46:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

120,000 men will require obviously 120,000 rounds bare minimum. That's 4000 thirty round mags in a rifle with a 300 yard or so effective range. If you have 500 marines armed with M4's, it would require 8 mag changes and that's if every round met it's target and killed it. You can at least double the mag changes and enemies hit at a bare minimum. So, 500 marines given 16 loaded mags each may do the job.
View Quote

You deal with human wave attacks the same way we did when they were actually a problem. Interlocking fields of MG fire and indirect barrage fire. With something like a Lewis or Vickers, you may be able to engage enemies with plunging fire at 2000m. Using Browning M2's brings that up to over 4000m - but you also have to worry about overheating.

The whole reason "Trench Warfare" became a thing is because we, as intelligent human beings, realized it's really dumb to stand exposed while your enemy attempts to lob rounds into you. Trenches came about to counter things like the Vickers and the Lewis. The speed at which the Persians would turn tail and run would be incredible.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I bet it would surprise you. How many walked into accurate automatic gun fire during the first WW?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Very few. Most of them started advancing with no fire on them, the enemy opened up on them when they were stuck in no-man's land and had nowhere to go. And even then most attackers were killed by arty.

The Persians brought 300,000 men.  How many human waves could a squad of marines actually hold off?  
300 wasn't an accurate movie. Almost no infantry force assigned to the Persian empire performed anything remotely like a human wave attack, almost none contained any heavy infantry at all (which is why the Greeks kept handing them their asses in pitched battles). A typical Persian/Median infantry unit would have a rank or two at most of shield bearers in the front rank with wicker shields and short spears, they'd form an immobile shield wall for archers behind them to loose from. It was an anti-cavalry unit and it looked like this:

It wasn't the Persians doing wave assaults, it was the Greeks. At Thermopylae the Persians would form up, then whichever Greek detachment was called out would attack it, break them, drive them off the cliffs, and then the battle would cease as the Persians called up fresh infantry and as the Greeks replaced their tired men. Wash and repeat.

To beat the Persians with missile weapons, AR15s as the OP specified, you'd just need to hammer the fuck out of the first formation with "boom sticks" while you also kill their Emperor. War is over, battle is won. Miller time.

Getting shredded by machine guns sounds like the suck but the idea of getting hacked to death in hand to hand combat sounds worse and was the typical fashion of warfare in that day and age. getting mowed down at 100 yards sounds down right pleasant in comparison.
Hand to hand was feared because it was up close, but it was also give or take. Getting machine gunned is just taking. Nobody in their right mind would rather get slaughtered at 100 yards with machine gun versus 50/50 chance of surviving up close fighting, that usually ended when one dude dropped his weapon and surrendered.

This isn't an insult, but you really should read more about warfare. Its very fascinating stuff and you got most of it wrong.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 3:54:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

War isn't a math problem, you're completely discounting the human element.

Also Marines is capitalized.
View Quote
I never said war was a math problem. I was simply showing very basic equation to a make believe situation.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 5:36:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
There is an animated series called GATE.

Basically it's a modern day army against people with middle ages technology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjLuYDf-VAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFxrzSrVv0I
Pretty satisfying to watch.

Skip to 2:38

Just think too, the Marines could bring some huge ass amps and blast heavy metal on the battle field. Totally freak out and demoralize the enemy.They were primitive people after all.
View Quote
That's such a rad show. "JSDF vs dungeons and dragons land" as I like to call it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 6:19:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'd go a step further and put money on a MEU establishing a medium size country.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A reinforced BLT would fuck them pretty good, a full MEU would eat them alive. An RCT would kill them all then create a medium size country (for the era).
what happens when the MEU runs out of ammo?  Got a plan to build reloading components for rolling their own ammo?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 6:25:52 PM EDT
[#23]
What's the starting distance?  
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 6:56:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I never said war was a math problem. I was simply showing very basic equation to a make believe situation.
View Quote
Sorry, I'm a stickler. You didn't show an equation (a statement that the values of two mathematical expressions are equal), you did a numbers dump with meaningless data to try to explain a hypothetical military conflict that would be fought by humans, who don't follow mathematical logic. If me and you got into a fist fight, would the winner be decided by the "Tale of the Tape" or something more? Of course something more, no fights are just decided by math. So describing a fight based on statistics and such, with no mention of the human factor, is unwise.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 7:04:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Very few. Most of them started advancing with no fire on them, the enemy opened up on them when they were stuck in no-man's land and had nowhere to go. And even then most attackers were killed by arty.

300 wasn't an accurate movie. Almost no infantry force assigned to the Persian empire performed anything remotely like a human wave attack, almost none contained any heavy infantry at all (which is why the Greeks kept handing them their asses in pitched battles). A typical Persian/Median infantry unit would have a rank or two at most of shield bearers in the front rank with wicker shields and short spears, they'd form an immobile shield wall for archers behind them to loose from. It was an anti-cavalry unit and it looked like this:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/e9/0e/ab/e90eabfb89563f84679897f8f5a928f0.jpg

It wasn't the Persians doing wave assaults, it was the Greeks. At Thermopylae the Persians would form up, then whichever Greek detachment was called out would attack it, break them, drive them off the cliffs, and then the battle would cease as the Persians called up fresh infantry and as the Greeks replaced their tired men. Wash and repeat.

To beat the Persians with missile weapons, AR15s as the OP specified, you'd just need to hammer the fuck out of the first formation with "boom sticks" while you also kill their Emperor. War is over, battle is won. Miller time.

Hand to hand was feared because it was up close, but it was also give or take. Getting machine gunned is just taking. Nobody in their right mind would rather get slaughtered at 100 yards with machine gun versus 50/50 chance of surviving up close fighting, that usually ended when one dude dropped his weapon and surrendered.

This isn't an insult, but you really should read more about warfare. Its very fascinating stuff and you got most of it wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/e9/0e/ab/e90eabfb89563f84679897f8f5a928f0.jpg

Sure.. obviously 20 dude's with ars are going to Outlast 300,000.  300k are modern figures compared to the millions from ancient reports.

Company level or battalion level strength? Different story. 20 dude's as suggested by the person I responded to is ludicrous even with modern firearms. An entire regiment would be a massacre.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
For what? Modern Marines carry more serious shit than a professional whore from 5th Cent BC. They'd earn their pay that night...We'd probably accidentally destroy all of Greek civilization by introducing some crazy shit to them they have no built in immunity for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good point, have the Corpsman check the Marines.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 11:20:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Please step away from the keyboard OP
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 11:28:23 PM EDT
[#28]
A Ma-Deuce or a Mk. 19, alone, would win.

The persians weren't that stupid, and nobody is advancing on narrow ground like that into that sort of fire.  The Persian army was basically mercs, and would likely cut bait and run once the first couple of waves was slaughtered by thunder from the greek gods.

Guys with AR's only?  Probably a single squad.

It would be like us fighting the Borg.  At some point, the tech level mismatch is too great to overcome. 
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 12:14:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sure.. obviously 20 dude's with ars are going to Outlast 300,000.  300k are modern figures compared to the millions from ancient reports.

Company level or battalion level strength? Different story. 20 dude's as suggested by the person I responded to is ludicrous even with modern firearms. An entire regiment would be a massacre.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another one who thinks war is math or some sort of equation or formula. Your response is so pedestrian, I scoff at thee. Numbers? Alexander laughed at superior numerous.  Caesar laughed.  I laugh. Ha ha.

The battle and war ends when Zeus loosed lightning at great King Xerxes himself as he sat in his throne to oversee the battle at the Hot Gates. His Grace twitched and then fell when the reddish lightning bolts hit him, his royal blood spraying from wounds appearing from nowhere. Then Zeus' fury shifted to his men, already terrified at the crescendo of thunder which followed the death of their Achaemenid emperor. Thunder as they'd never heard it...

Zeus let loose his red lightning on the Persian host, divisions of shield bearers and archers aligned for battle fell in a blink of an eye, with the Greek God's lightning flying through them from twice bowshot range. Men fell and screamed as burning and bloody holes appeared on them following the bullwhip snap of Zeus' red lightning. So loud, so brutal,  like nothing any had ever seen or heard, the stuff of fanciful legends come to life.

The leading elements of the Persian army were decimated with the survivors fleeing. The Great King's entourage were in panic trying to collect his royal carcass. Officers atrempted to gain control of their men but it was no use,  they saw too what had happened, and there could be no denying that great Azuramazda had failed them,  that the true lord of Gods was Zeus of the Red Lightning who had gifted these Greeks with his helping hand...

What was that noise that comes from the Greek lines?

Ooh rah ooh rah ooh rah ooh rah

The Greeks, so few, not even four groups of ten, but yet they advanced, unarmed and unarmored bearing nothing but a short and ugly black spear, what the Persian officer realized was a mage's wand of some sort harnessing Zeus' red lightning.

The Gods had chosen a side and the only hope the Persian offer felt as he closed his eyes and released his bowels was his hope death would find him quickly and Zeus would not terrorize him in Hades.

*Unsuppressed rifle fire with M856 tracers equals thunder and lightning from the Gods to people living in 480 BC. Fact

Using my imagination I just did what you though was impossible, with a platoon of Marines and a couple mags of tracer apiece i created a plausible scenario to defeat the Persians at Thermopylae.

Work smarter not harder.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 12:26:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The correct answer is One. One man with a magic "BOOM STICK".

These were not an advanced people we are talking about. They were still offering sacrifices to a variety of gods and consulted their mystics before battle.

One man standing before an army starts summoning thunder and a horrific "death hole" magically appears in his enemies? "He's a wizard!" "It's a demon!" "The gods are angered at us and have sent their harold to deliver a plague of exploding chest holes!"

I figure about 2 mags tops would be all you need. The resulting collective "Fuck that shit" would be epic.
View Quote
Behold, the Harold of the gods!
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 12:32:44 AM EDT
[#31]
I really wish Hollyweird would make Rome, Sweet Rome. Instead we get rehashed bullshit.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:41:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
One with a lot of ammo
View Quote
Bingo. These are the type of mass wave tactics that WW1 era machine guns were designed to negate.

-Water cooled .30 cal MG nests back at >500 yards with crates of ammo for each gun.
-Airburst mortar rounds
-Chlorine gas if the wind was right would be industrial scale slaughter.

Or just use a few of these and win the battle really quick...

Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:33:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The correct answer is One. One man with a magic "BOOM STICK".

These were not an advanced people we are talking about. They were still offering sacrifices to a variety of gods and consulted their mystics before battle.

One man standing before an army starts summoning thunder and a horrific "death hole" magically appears in his enemies? "He's a wizard!" "It's a demon!" "The gods are angered at us and have sent their harold to deliver a plague of exploding chest holes!"

I figure about 2 mags tops would be all you need. The resulting collective "Fuck that shit" would be epic.
View Quote
Especially using tracers only.  Add some visual effects to smiting your enemy.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:41:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Well I did look it up a bit to refresh my memory of the battle

Apparently the original claim was a million.

I still find 100-150K hard to believe though

Maybe its because I just cant fathom looking out into the distance and seeing 100K enemy combatants. That's like mobilizing my entire city to fight a battle, but thousands of years ago
View Quote
No, that's a single football stadium.  Think about it.  Your army raprs and pillages and steals from the locals.  How hard would that be?  Might be scorched earth behind you, but oh well.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:43:44 AM EDT
[#35]
1 mARINE 1 battle, or whatever...
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:59:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Lol, I don't know but I'll sign up for that.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:23:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Meaning no disrespect for the Marines, but...
the Air Force has a handier way of disposing of disagreeable aliens.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/23/ec/92/23ec927009901eb0a01eaba2fb1782c9.jpg
View Quote
Every Battalion of infantry has a corresponding squadron of aviation in the Marine Corps. We too have our own way of disposing of disagreeable aliens. Marines don't beggar another service for Air Support.

ETA: About 6 of these guys

Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:35:53 AM EDT
[#38]
What about a fair fight?

Equal numbers of Marines and Immortals, all armed the same with sword, shield, and bow?

If the British at Rorke's Drift had only had assegais and shields, instead of Martini-Henry's?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 11:42:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Let me ask you, were you the kid in school when asked to hand in a double lined single page minimum assignment you will come in with a 40 page single spaced reduced gap novel?

Either way, bravo.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 11:56:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Let me ask you, were you the kid in school when asked to hand in a double lined single page minimum assignment you will come in with a 40 page single spaced reduced gap novel?

Either way, bravo.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:21:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Sorry, I'm a stickler. You didn't show an equation (a statement that the values of two mathematical expressions are equal), you did a numbers dump with meaningless data to try to explain a hypothetical military conflict that would be fought by humans, who don't follow mathematical logic. If me and you got into a fist fight, would the winner be decided by the "Tale of the Tape" or something more? Of course something more, no fights are just decided by math. So describing a fight based on statistics and such, with no mention of the human factor, is unwise.
View Quote
LOL
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:08:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks for all the responses guys...
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top