Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/24/2022 11:15:06 PM EDT
I watch my city's city council meetings every two weeks online.  This week they requested permission to use seized money for various things, to include a gradual rollout of new Gen 5 Glock 17 MOS pistols with a light (unknown model) and an Aimpoint ARCO (unknown if 1 or 2).  The chief said they are currently issued 9mm & 40s&w Glocks from generation 3, 4 and 5 and this is to cut down on parts from the different generations getting accidentally mixed by the department armorers.

He said there are currently around 50 officers who have already bought their own weapon/optic combo and have been through their class (they have a full-time range master in addition to officers who are trained as range staff, plus the city runs its own Police academy several times a year).

I think that leaves around 170-180 gun/optic/light/holster combos they'll have to issue to be fully equipped, then they'll likely start issuing them to those who bought their own and would like a department weapon again.

This is a Dallas suburb with 150,000 people and the department has had at least three officer involved shootings this year.  That follows last year where they had a K9 killed by suffocation/strangulation plus their second (human) officer to be killed in the line of duty, the first since 1974.

Is Chief took office last fall and has been with the department his entire career. They considered people from as far away as California and Chicago, but luckily they decided to keep it in house and pick the guy who is willing to look after his people.

The chief is one who paid for his own G17 to replace his issued 3rd gen.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 11:23:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably not many.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 1:30:51 AM EDT
[#2]
https://www.police1.com/police-products/firearms/articles/is-it-time-for-your-agency-to-move-to-red-dot-sights-5Q0GzlaF1RRn6UYo/

Is it time for your agency to move to red dot sights?

How San Mateo County is rolling out the latest tools and training for success
Oct 28, 2021

Red dot sights, RDS, or “optics” are some of the hottest products in town. First used in competition, they are starting to show up on many cops’ sidearms. But slapping on an RDS before rolling is not a great idea. As I covered in this article, even mounting an RDS takes a lot of planning and the right tools. And after getting it mounted, Scott Reidy, director of training at SIG Sauer Academy, recommends a minimum of two days of training before anyone can carry a firearm with an RDS.

Some agencies let officers purchase and mount any personal RDS, some have a list of approved RDS and some, like the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department and San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office issue a fully integrated sidearm system with mandatory training.

Courtesy of San Mateo County Sheriff Carlos G. Bolanos and San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office Rangemaster Sergeant David Weidner, I was able to participate in the agency's RDS training program using my Glock 19 with Aimpoint ACRO P1.

*snip*

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 1:37:59 AM EDT
[#3]
You must live somewhere around the DFW area. Your department has to be huge and cracking down on widespread drug crime to have that anount of seized money.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 1:39:38 AM EDT
[#4]
its becoming more common.  Longmont PD in Colorado is planning to do this (Glock 17's with unk optic) later this year.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 1:45:44 AM EDT
[#5]
ICE is the first Federal Agency to begin issuing red dots to all Agents and Officers that want to carry one.  They have also begun the process of teaching Agents in the Academy to use red dots.  The first class graduated with near perfect qualification scores across the board.

They issue the Sig P320 carry with a ROMEO 1PRO.
Agents can opt to buy their own Glock with a Trijicon RMR
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 1:47:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
its becoming more common.  Longmont PD in Colorado is planning to do this (Glock 17's with unk optic) later this year.
View Quote

IIRC, Colorado University PD has already done so, running M&P9s with Holosuns.

It's slowly gaining steam. A decade from now I expect it's going to be standard for most LE. Already I've heard of academy classes where the students are predominantly getting trained on MRDS, with only ancillary focus on irons.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 1:49:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Our fire marshal office standard issue is a gen 5 glock 19 with RMR.  Our sheriffs office isn’t even running that high speed.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 1:51:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Couple of northern Wisconsin suburbs/counties are, I believe all issued RDS pistols. I know there’s one tribal PD a few counties away that went to all RDS because it was the only way they could get all of their officers to qualify. Prior to that a significant percentage of their force couldn’t qualify on just iron sights.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 2:12:24 AM EDT
[#9]
My agency does. But we are a fairly small county with only 44 sworn. Still took us 2 years to spread the cost over 2 budgets to get it done.

More and more counties and cities in Northeast WI are issuing them.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 2:13:26 AM EDT
[#10]

It’s an excellent upgrade and costs less than a wrongful death lawsuit for a stray round. It’ll be more and more common year after year.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 2:17:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Houston PD is issuing 17s with RMRs to all new academy classes, and has for a couple of years now.  I am pretty sure that current Officers can apply for the "upgrade class" and qual to be able to be issued the red dot handgun as well.  

There are a couple of OIS videos of them using RMR equipped pistols.  

Plus... Houston ain't small.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 2:31:21 AM EDT
[#12]
My former department was rapidly approaching having them on everything.  My new one?   We are issued .40 S&W and firmly living in a land that time forgot.  But its got really good pay and benefits.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 2:56:14 AM EDT
[#13]
We're a rural county and if the agency doesn't issue them, they allow you to purchase your own and carry it. Including mine.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 3:02:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Currently issuing G45 MOS.  RDS and wml are approved, but that’s on the officer to buy.

Link Posted: 3/25/2022 3:15:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My former department was rapidly approaching having them on everything.  My new one?   We are issued .40 S&W and firmly living in a land that time forgot.  But its got really good pay and benefits.
View Quote

Worth more than an RDS on a pistol.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 3:18:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Arvada CO, Purchase your own pistol.

Link Posted: 3/25/2022 3:25:13 AM EDT
[#17]
A lot here in the Phoenix area.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 3:29:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You must live somewhere around the DFW area. Your department has to be huge and cracking down on widespread drug crime to have that anount of seized money.
View Quote

Somewhere in my long drawn-out post, I said we were a Dallas suburb

Wacky Mesquite Texas

I believe it was three different funds, one of them being something from the feds that the chief said they'd only been able to spend once in the past because of the strict restrictions the feds put on the money. Sounds like a trick for the feds to keep it for themselves LOL
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 3:33:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Most don't due the emitters aren't covered. They would be no good getting wet in the rain or snow.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 3:33:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Our city's cops all just got brand new Shadow System DR pistols with Holosun 507's and other variants. This was department wide.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 3:36:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Our fire marshal office standard issue is a gen 5 glock 19 with RMR.  Our sheriffs office isn’t even running that high speed.
View Quote

How many people?   I can see it being a lot easier for a smaller department than a department with 200 plus sworn personnel.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 4:12:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Most don't due the emitters aren't covered. They would be no good getting wet in the rain or snow.
View Quote

Holster selection helps mitigate this
Training officers in proper PMCS
Training to deal with lens occlusion both front and rear lens should be part of the curriculum and training

I don't think this is a major reason most departments don't. I think it is first and foremost LE is chronically slow to change and adapt and secondarily cost concerns for equipment and training
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 6:30:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Luckily we don't see much snow and unfortunately we can go a long time without rain.  

I wonder how Seattle area people deal with that with their million inches of rain?
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 6:32:38 PM EDT
[#24]
We do, next county over does, neighboring PD does and another local PD just started
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 6:33:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Our first transition class was in a snowstorm. They performed great. In fact we packed them with snow, we purposefully allow them to get wet and due to our policy of training regardless of conditions, we've definitely ram them through the ringer

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 6:40:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Our first transition class was in a snowstorm. They performed great

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/293626/IMG_2671_jpg-2326114.JPG
View Quote
western colorado always reminds me of afghanistan.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 6:43:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our first transition class was in a snowstorm. They performed great

" it's a dry cold/hot"
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 6:44:37 PM EDT
[#28]
The department I work for is in the middle of transitioning to the new MOS system.  Training includes wetting the RDS by spraying water into the emitter area.  

We are being issued the Trjicon RMR type 2 3.25 MOA Dot
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 6:44:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

" it's a dry cold/hot"
View Quote
i just had this conversation with a coworker about two hours ago.

silly bastard wants to move to western CO from houston.

Link Posted: 3/25/2022 6:50:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Indiana State Police will be receiving Sig 226 9mm pistols with factory RDS soon.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 6:51:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
A lot here in the Phoenix area.
View Quote

Phoenix Police Shoot Man Pointing Gun at Officers Inside Restaurant
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 7:02:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

They have lots of kickback money from all the decks they built.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

They have lots of kickback money from all the decks they built.

Kharn
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 7:29:06 PM EDT
[#34]
RDS equipped pistols are a fad.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 7:32:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Luckily we don't see much snow and unfortunately we can go a long time without rain.  

I wonder how Seattle area people deal with that with their million inches of rain?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seattle and Dallas both get about 37 inches of rain per year
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 7:34:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Fpni
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 7:39:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The department I work for is in the middle of transitioning to the new MOS system.  Training includes wetting the RDS by spraying water into the emitter area.  

We are being issued the Trjicon RMR type 2 3.25 MOA Dot
View Quote

Yep. Training includes an instructor walking around spraying your optic with a spray bottle of water. We taped up front and rear lenses and practiced framing a target with the optic. A closed optic is awesome too. There’s very little downside to MRDS.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 8:21:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I believe it was three different funds, one of them being something from the feds that the chief said they'd only been able to spend once in the past because of the strict restrictions the feds put on the money. Sounds like a trick for the feds to keep it for themselves LOL
View Quote
Asset forfeiture funds most likely.

Link Posted: 3/25/2022 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit? How come every damn show based up there always makes it seem like it's raining every fucking day?

And to be fair, Dallas might get that much rain, but it's only in about six months LOL
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 8:41:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
ICE is the first Federal Agency to begin issuing red dots to all Agents and Officers that want to carry one.  They have also begun the process of teaching Agents in the Academy to use red dots.  The first class graduated with near perfect qualification scores across the board.

They issue the Sig P320 carry with a ROMEO 1PRO.
Agents can opt to buy their own Glock with a Trijicon RMR
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/25/2022 8:41:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

How many people?   I can see it being a lot easier for a smaller department than a department with 200 plus sworn personnel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True.  We’re talking maybe 15 personnel.  Sheriffs office is around 400.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 3:41:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
i just had this conversation with a coworker about two hours ago.

silly bastard wants to move to western CO from houston.

View Quote

Him and I both. Houston is culturally a completely corrupt dumpster fire and the colorado mountains are the most beautiful place on earth. But finding a good paying cop job up there that I could afford to live on, in a non super liberal place, worries me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 3:42:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Super lulz

So is the internet, cell phones, and microwave food…
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 3:57:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Our first transition class was in a snowstorm. They performed great. In fact we packed them with snow, we purposefully allow them to get wet and due to our policy of training regardless of conditions, we've definitely ram them through the ringer

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thunder Mountain...?
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 4:33:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Doubt my PD will ever allow it before I retire anyway. Just the current Gen4 Glock 22 with factory night sites.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 4:36:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, yes.  I'm far more likely to die of a stroke or heart attack than in a gunfight.  We will eventually adopt RDS.  Right now I'm the only officer with a weapon mounted light.  Which I find absolutely indispensable.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 6:54:20 AM EDT
[#47]
The Palm Beach County Sheriffs Office is going to the G17 Gen 5 mos with issued trijicon rmr type 2 and surefire pistol light. If you are issued a G19, you get the same rmr but a Streamlight TLR 7a. The have about 3000 sworn including corrections staff. The command staff will get a 43X with rmrcc, or so I have been told….
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 6:59:13 AM EDT
[#48]
All of them as soon as LEO's start figuring out they can ADA complaint, for a reasonable accommodation, due to near/far sightedness.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 7:02:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did you note that OP's PD specified Acros?
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 7:05:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

RDS on rifles were just toys as well. No military would ever use them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top