Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 1:09:10 PM EDT
[#1]
As a gymnast growing up... I now do 3 sets of 10 pull ups and then 3 sets of dips to start every work out.
Sometimes super setting them.

Makes you lean but not bulky.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 1:09:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know about pull ups, but I've pulled out plenty of times.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 1:11:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You may be an exception, but in the fitness world, bodyweight exercises and weightlifting according to multiples of your bodyweight are not considered arbitrary because they scale with your body weight.

Examples of what I consider a decent regular Joe baseline strength level -

10 pullups
40 pushups
1 rep 1x bodyweight bench press (meaning 1x your bodweight on the bar)
1 rep 1x bodyweight squat
1 rep 1.5x bodyweight deadlift
1 rep 0.5x bodyweight overhead press
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
yes but it is not arbitrary...I am larger than most on hear in size... my experience level in physical confrontation is higher than most here (number of fights as a grown man due to job choices in my life)....I am not an MMA fighter,  I am not a "weight lifter", I am not a bad ass

but my ability to protect and provide for my family is above average.

You may be an exception, but in the fitness world, bodyweight exercises and weightlifting according to multiples of your bodyweight are not considered arbitrary because they scale with your body weight.

10 pullups
40 pushups

I can 10-rep all your 1-rep benchmarks and I can't do 10 good pullups. I can do 5 dead hang p/us and 10 chins, but never on my best day could I do ten pullups.

I have a back injury that has something to do with it I'm sure, but it doesn't feel like that's what's stopping me, pullups are just hard.

I'm not a fat guy either 6'/200lbs.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 1:11:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
At least 10.          
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/18/2013 1:13:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I think it is a shitty and unpractical exercise, personally.

Climbing a wall or solid fence? That has practical applications.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 1:15:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

How many graduate degrees should a man have?  More than tha friggin' DK-Prof dude (or whatever-TF his name is).

Oh no, wait ... how many Japanese swords should a man own?  As many as he can feed (cause they're alive, you know).

... I can't do a lot of pull-ups either
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

silly thread is silly...nothing that is arbitrary makes you or man and counter-wise

How many graduate degrees should a man have?  More than tha friggin' DK-Prof dude (or whatever-TF his name is).

Oh no, wait ... how many Japanese swords should a man own?  As many as he can feed (cause they're alive, you know).

... I can't do a lot of pull-ups either

Wussy.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 1:17:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I can do maybe one...

But then again, I'm a fatty, who's also had to have his elbow put back together after an accident.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 1:19:45 PM EDT
[#8]
5-6, a shit ton of "fit" appearing people can't do one. It's a muscle group most non fitness minded people in non labor jobs just don't use anywhere near its capacity on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 1:19:47 PM EDT
[#9]
64 years old. Can do 10, all the way down, all the way up, palms out.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 1:19:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
On the internet or for real?

this
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 1:20:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I say 3 pullups is a pretty good start for an average joe.

Pullups are an order of magnitude harder then pushups. Many guys that can do 20-30 pushups can not do a single pullups.

Now if you are into fitness and workout all the time, I would say 10 would be the minimum.

Eta: I meant pullups not chinups.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 1:23:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 1:25:11 PM EDT
[#13]
In high school..... I did 33

Now I can do 12-15.

Edit: those are "strict/perfect". Losing form and a slight kip I can get to 20-25.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 1:39:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Three would be the bare minimum for what an average adult man should be able to do.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 1:51:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

yes but it is not arbitrary...I am larger than most on hear in size... my experience level in physical confrontation is higher than most here (number of fights as a grown man due to job choices in my life)....I am not an MMA fighter,  I am not a "weight lifter", I am not a bad ass

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

silly thread is silly...nothing that is arbitrary makes you or man and counter-wise

I think certain baseline levels of strength are important to define you as a man, especially on a site where many of us lean towards supporting the traditional roles of men as providers and protectors.

Not if your family is a mile away and in a tower
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 1:52:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I do 3 sets of 12 everyday!

Have been doing this for a few months with significant gains! On Tuesday I do them with a 35 lb weight and a slight kip.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 1:54:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Palms out is a lot harder for me.

Palms in, a middle-aged man should be able to do about 5 or so without breaking something.
View Quote

I am 52 and squeeze out 10 on the first set. I can do multiple sets of at least 6 with no problem.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 1:56:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 11/18/2013 1:56:32 PM EDT
[#19]

I can only do 18 now, that's unacceptable so I'm working on it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 2:00:18 PM EDT
[#20]
2 pullup threads in one day?!?

I don't know, I think the average guy should be able to do 10 deadhangs.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 2:02:23 PM EDT
[#21]
The truth is, skeletal build and muscular density has a lot to do with this - genetics, folks.
I come from a long line of thick, solid german fuckers and my arm strength to body weight has always prevented me from doing shitloads of pullups easily. Yet, for my height and weight I have pretty strong arms.
I can do 10-12 perfect pullups, but am generally as strong or stronger than someone my height that can do 30 or more...because they have a lighter build and leaner body type.
Long, tall guys have a similar disadvantage. A lot more weight to hoist up. Plus, different people have different aptitudes because of muscle density at certain regions of the body. I can do certain exercises very easy - squats and leg presses at a much higher level than I can naturally do hanging or pulling type exercises. It's just the way I'm built. I work harder on the things I am poor at, but I'm starting from a slight handicap genetically....as we all are in one way or another. Eskimos don't run marathons, and Kenyans get cold easy.
Any number given for "what a man should be able to do" ignores that there are guys in shitty shape that can do 5-10, while someone in good shape might only be able to do 2-3 because of body shape.

Link Posted: 11/18/2013 2:03:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
This.

A single set of a 10 unbroken is a good indicator of general fitness.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

At least 10.          

This.

A single set of a 10 unbroken is a good indicator of general fitness.
I'm 6'4" 260 pounds, and can't do 10.  Yet, I lift, run, sprint, etc and consider myself to be in pretty good shape.

I also don't train for that either.  I can do dips out the wazoo, but struggle with chins...and when I do them, I don't do that abomination of 'kipping' that crossfitters get all worked up about.

ETA:

5 Pull ups

All the pushups you want until I get bored

1 rep X bodyweight benchpress...easily.

1 Rep bodyweight squat...easily

1 rep 1.5 bodyweight deadlift...easily

1 rep half bodyweight over head press...easily.

Link Posted: 11/18/2013 2:03:49 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

At least 10.          
View Quote

Yep.

Link Posted: 11/18/2013 2:11:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I can do 9, and I don't think I'm in pretty good shape.  I'd vote for 3.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 2:14:10 PM EDT
[#26]
I did 15 this morning but it is an off day.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 2:16:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

"Regular Joe"

If you grabbed 100 men at random, my guess is maybe one or two could actually do that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

10 pullups
40 pushups

"Regular Joe"

If you grabbed 100 men at random, my guess is maybe one or two could actually do that.

You're right, and that's sad. Those numbers aren't particularly hard to attain at all.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 2:19:17 PM EDT
[#28]
I can do like 5 good ones before my form goes to shit.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 2:20:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Pull ups are something you need to train specifically for, minus those that may be genetically geared for them. So, it doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 2:28:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Pull ups are something you need to train specifically for, minus those that may be genetically geared for them. So, it doesn't matter.
View Quote

One could do nothing but bench,squat, dead and dip and be able to do pull ups without training for pull ups
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 2:47:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

One could do nothing but bench,squat, dead and dip and be able to do pull ups without training for pull ups
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 2:49:20 PM EDT
[#32]
I can do 3, 4 tops
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 2:49:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 2:50:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Under 3 is failing for USMC I believe
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/18/2013 2:51:41 PM EDT
[#35]
11, returning to a dead hang, no core/leg assist

ETA: apparently I'm getting SLAW, just tapped out at 7
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 2:51:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

ETA: I read your last post so most of this is useless now. I was trying to figure out your occupation, but I didn't want to guess "hefty cop" prematurely.
View Quote

Not a cop...ex cop... Now a gunsmith.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 2:54:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think certain baseline levels of strength are important to define you as a man, especially on a site where many of us lean towards supporting the traditional roles of men as providers and protectors.

I can jog/run three miles....no walking slow ass pace
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 3:01:11 PM EDT
[#38]
I have always struggled with pull-ups.  Me weighing 195 lb, max bench press 355, dips with 150 lb hanging by chains, 550 lb squat, 300 lb overhead press  and on and on.  Pull-ups I struggle to get 5 and I have worked hard at then at times. When I can drop down to 185lbs I can do more but still not easy.  Bad shoulder and elbow have pretty much put me out of that game now though  (weak lats)
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 3:11:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
At least 10.          
View Quote

this I can do 10 piss drunk

20 on a good day when I was active duty and into my mid 30's

I'm almost 40 and can do 15 any day and 20 if hot chicks are around
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I know it doesn't answer the question but at 42 years old, I can do 25 on a good day.

<a href="http://s127.photobucket.com/user/rock711/media/998590_10151660927887778_237174267_n_zps2d8ef7e4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/rock711/998590_10151660927887778_237174267_n_zps2d8ef7e4.jpg</a>
View Quote

but your garage / room is built with OSB board...soooo
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 3:14:39 PM EDT
[#42]
I do 3 sets of 10  three times a week just trying to maintain what level of strength I still have at 39.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 3:17:08 PM EDT
[#43]
I could do 25 before I hurt my shoulder , now I can only do 8
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 3:21:21 PM EDT
[#44]
If I had an audience and pride was a factor, I might get 20. I do 6 sets of 10 once a week but I'm old at 47.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 3:23:32 PM EDT
[#45]
pride gets me 10 if I were to just jump up cold and do it 5 maybe 6
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 3:25:42 PM EDT
[#46]
I think it was 10 for the army.......I'm medically retired so I forgot...I got my PT handbook somewhere.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 3:27:39 PM EDT
[#47]
How many points for hanging and kicking my legs furiously?

Link Posted: 11/18/2013 3:30:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I have a smart phone and you guys. Bring a rope  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well I would say you should be able to do at least 1 to pull yourself out of a life/death situation right?
I have a smart phone and you guys. Bring a rope  

I will bring the rope, if you provide the tree.  A penguin pinatta would be fun!

Link Posted: 11/18/2013 3:43:12 PM EDT
[#49]
I was doing 10 almost every morning before the cancer diagnosis.  Haven't done any since July.   Just did 4 and they sucked.  I can't wait for the chemo to be over with.  I soooo need to get back in shape.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 4:12:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

10 pullups
40 pushups
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

10 pullups
40 pushups

I can do that.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top