Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 2:16:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm 53 and can do 8 with full lock out at the bottom. 2" diameter chin bar....
ZERO bouncing.
Fuck that kipping crossfag shit....
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 2:28:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One of Crossfit's trademark workouts is "Fran," which involves doing sets of 21, 15, and 9 pullups. Now: a very, very small percentage of the population is able to do a single set of 21 proper pullups, without stopping. I guarantee you that the majority of NFL football players cannot do this. But since it's so god damn important to make the numbers in the workout, Crossfit people do 21 kipping pullups instead, and then they're all, "Yeah, I just did 21 pullups right there." Yeah, and I can dunk a basketball as long as I'm jumping off a trampoline. Those are not pullups...

http://gawker.com/5928989/the-problems-with-crossfit
View Quote

You resurrected this thread for this drivel?
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 2:44:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 2:55:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Used to be able to do 10-15 @ 290lbs body weight, was dead lifting over 800lbs then too.  I'm a lot lighter now but still doing the same amount of pull ups and a lot less weight in deads.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 3:15:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Depends if a hugger or a salt is administering the PFT.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 3:52:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, up until last year I could do 20. Once I retired, I haven't even looked at a pull up bar. Pull ups don't make a man a man.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 5:00:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 7:27:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well, up until last year I could do 20. Once I retired, I haven't even looked at a pull up bar. Pull ups don't make a man a man.
View Quote

Being retired, physical fitness is more important than ever. You no longer have the full might of the US Military as back up a radio call away.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Being retired, physical fitness is more important than ever. You no longer have the full might of the US Military as back up a radio call away.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what the fetal position is for. It's dangerous outside the basement.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 6:00:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm 57 now and can easy do 20-25 in a row depending. I started working out a couple years ago to try to get in shape and it was ALL I could do to eke out 3 or 4. I have a problem shoulder, and working up my pullups has helped strengthen it up too. I see a lot of younger BUFF kids jump up to the bar and knock out 8-10 struggling to make the last couple. They look at me, a grey haired old skinny guy, knock out 25 and they just look at me.... but then again I can't bench 250+ lbs. or curl 110 lbs. like I see a lot of them doing. I'm sure the biggest reason I can do so many is I weigh 160, and they are pulling up 200-225 lbs.... might have something to do with it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 6:18:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I can only do 10, but those are the real deal pull-ups. Not these wimpy kipling cross-fit type pull ups.

ETA: Look at this clown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0MuVsFKmrE
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 6:25:48 AM EDT
[#12]
1 more than Justin Bieber.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 7:34:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I can only do 10, but those are the real deal pull-ups. Not these wimpy kipling cross-fit type pull ups.

View Quote

You know those wimpy crossfitters that kip can do 2-3 times the amount of deadhangs you can right?

So much ignorance in that video.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 7:36:55 AM EDT
[#14]
I might get 3.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 7:38:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Can I do them palms in?  It's easier that way.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 7:41:55 AM EDT
[#16]
When I was doing P90X, I could do 8-10....but I pulled both bracchioradialus muscles....couldnt lift a cup of coffee for about a month.  Thanks Tony Horton.  

Haven't done P90X in about a year.  I'm about 20lbs heavier.  I'd be lucky to do 5 if I put the bar up right now.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 8:11:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You know those wimpy crossfitters that kip can do 2-3 times the amount of deadhangs you can right?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pssshhh when I bench if I only go down a quarter of the way I can get like 2-3 times the number of normal reps.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 8:18:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

funny.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 8:20:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Pssshhh when I bench if I only go down a quarter of the way I can get like 2-3 times the number of normal reps
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pssshhh when I bench if I only go down a quarter of the way I can get like 2-3 times the number of normal reps

Shortening range of motion isn't comparable to lightening weight and doing more reps, which is what kipping is similar to.

Link Posted: 12/16/2013 8:25:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Palms out I can do 12-15 usually with good form.

Palms in I am at about 20 without breaking form.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 8:26:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Shortening range of motion isn't comparable to lightening weight and doing more reps, which is what kipping is similar to.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well then Ill hop my ass on the counter weighted pull up machine I see all the hoochies using.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 8:28:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
At least 10.          
View Quote

yep.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 8:30:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I know it doesn't answer the question but at 42 years old, I can do 25 on a good day.

<a href="http://s127.photobucket.com/user/rock711/media/998590_10151660927887778_237174267_n_zps2d8ef7e4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/rock711/998590_10151660927887778_237174267_n_zps2d8ef7e4.jpg</a>
View Quote

What's the chain tied to?
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 8:42:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Well then Ill hop my ass on the counter weighted pull up machine I see all the hoochies using.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at it this way. You do 5/3/1 or have done it right?

Let's say you do your 3x5 bench with your last set at 225. Then once you're done, you cut the weight by 50% and do you BBB.
Weighted pullups or deadhang pullups are your 3x5, and your kipping is like the BBB. I'm not suggesting that kipping will make you big, but pointing out that varying weight and reps have different physiological adaptations and has been used forever. Kipping is just a way to vary reps and get a different response.

ETA- I may have said this already, but bottom line is that kipping is not for everyone. There are perfectly good reasons for some people to do them though depending on their goals and fitness levels. Noobs should never do them.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 9:08:21 AM EDT
[#25]
I just busting your chops man. Yes I have done 5/3/1 and I do see the point of kipping.  I'm doing the Michael Mathews work out now and really really like it. My GF has drank the crossfit cool aid for the last year or so.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 10:23:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I just busting your chops man. Yes I have done 5/3/1 and I do see the point of kipping.  I'm doing the Michael Mathews work out now and really really like it. My GF has drank the crossfit cool aid for the last year or so.
View Quote

I figured. No worries.

Honestly I don't kip hardly ever any more. Sometimes if I'm really trying to go fast for conditioning, but I usually do weighted or deadhangs these days.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 10:30:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Form is for sucka's

Link Posted: 12/16/2013 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#28]

You only get to talk shit if you can do more deadhangs than a Crossfitter can.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 10:45:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not all crossfitters are created equal
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 10:48:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, but if you're going to make fun of Spealler (in the video above) for doing kipping, you better be able to beat him at deadhangs too.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 10:49:25 AM EDT
[#31]
20 or you are a girl
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 10:51:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

True, but if you're going to make fun of Spealler (in the video above) for doing kipping, you better be able to beat him at deadhangs too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is GD were everyone has a 12 inch dick, super model wife, pulls six figures and knows squatting is bad for your knees.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 10:56:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This is GD were everyone has a 12 inch dick, super model wife, pulls six figures and knows squatting is bad for your knees.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

12 inch dick- nope, super model wife- I am lucky and have a smoking hot wife, pulling six figures - I am pretty sure I am considered in the poverty range, squatting - I do squats what's wrong with that?
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 10:57:26 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

On the internet or for real?
View Quote

Internet...
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 11:09:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Dont know.  Dont crossfit.  

I just love that .gif  

Gonna stick with doing it the old school way until I get back from being potato shaped.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 11:10:15 AM EDT
[#36]
I wasn't really singling you out man I was just joking about GD in general.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 11:25:16 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
funny.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA: Look at this clown: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0MuVsFKmrE

funny.

LOL.   Zero, zero, zero.

Link Posted: 12/16/2013 11:58:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I wasn't really singling you out man I was just joking about GD in general.
View Quote

No worries.  With my 12" penis I dont worry about much.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 12:07:30 PM EDT
[#39]
You folks bashing Crossfit-style kipping don't have a clue.

It's a different exercise than dead-hang with different goals.

I really doubt all of these responses of ten or more dead-hang strict pullups. Post the vids, tough guys.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 12:13:16 PM EDT
[#40]
I used to be a pull-up freak and could do 22 very strict ones. I still work out, but haven't done them in years. I'd be surprised if I could do 12 today. Give me a month to train for it, and I bet I'd be back up to 16.

To answer the question, probably 10 today.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 12:24:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I really doubt all of these responses of ten or more dead-hang strict pullups. Post the vids, tough guys.
View Quote

I dont know who is bashing it but every time I post that .gif I get people freaking out about it.  

I will probably end up trying crossfit out soon, but in the meantime...

Link Posted: 12/16/2013 12:26:39 PM EDT
[#42]
When I was in my early twenties I could do 14-15 palms out pull ups. It was some kind of CA test so that was the only way allowed.

What was weird is I could sit on the floor (in the Army it was the ground) and pull my self up the rope keeping an "L" shape (no legs used) with toes pointed.
I could go to the top in seconds but had no stamina running. Everybody has different strengths
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 12:40:10 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote

The problem stems from them calling it a pull-up. If they called it a Cross Swing, no one would mention it.
I'm not able to perform a hundred correct push-ups anymore. However, I can hold myself in the push-up position and rock back and forth one hundred times. I hereby declare correct push-ups to be called "dead hang push-ups", and the new push-ups I invented shall just be called push-ups.
I can now perform one hundred push-ups again.

Link Posted: 12/16/2013 12:54:16 PM EDT
[#44]
3, but I also do triathlons including a few long course tri's, just different types of fitness I suppose.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 1:03:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I dunno 'bout that.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 1:58:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The problem stems from them calling it a pull-up. If they called it a Cross Swing, no one would mention it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 2:14:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish the top CFers would do some non kipping pull-ups. I've always been interested in finding out how many they could do.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 3:02:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is a squat no longer a squat if you bring the weight down and do many reps?

Is running no longer running if you run 400m instead of a marathon?
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 3:03:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I wish the top CFers would do some non kipping pull-ups. I've always been interested in finding out how many they could do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most test them on occasion. When I was competing I was about 182 and maxed at 58 kipping pullups, ~25-26 deadhangs and pulled 3 deadhangs with 121# (IIRC) around my waist. And I was no where near the level as the top guys.

ETA- my wife does ~20 deadhangs so she even beats most of you guys
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 3:04:21 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

87?
View Quote
there is that finicky number...never makes sense but I get it.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top