Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 3:28:14 AM EDT
[#1]
This shit will get out of control and we will be lucky to live through it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 3:39:58 AM EDT
[#2]

Is this some new Gundam, and has it been dubbed?
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 3:52:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My avatar has the power armor I want!

Get that Mark VII Aquila shit out of here.  Mark IV Maximus was the peak of power armor development.

If your talking about advancement, no way. go beaky or gome.
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 3:54:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Gundam Unicorn.

It has been dubbed. Its meh, but has some cool suits and is at least Universal Century instead of some weird off branch.
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 3:59:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Have you seen Iron Man II?

Drones are better...to a point.    To have to carry a weak fleshling around in the suit is a waste of a lot of resources
and places severe limitations on what a drone suit MIGHT be able to do.  

The human is a limiting factor.  Or it WILL be.  A very SERIOUS limiting factor on performance, range, endurance,
weapons load, agility, speed, and ability to take battle damage while remaining mission effective.

Additionally, humans can change their minds and decide NOT to follow a mission plan.

But, there's also a benefit to having a man along for the ride to make decisions a machine can't make and interpret information
that is meaningless to a machine.

The IDEAL scenario puts the man in control, with full sensory input,  but without his PHYSICAL presence in the suit.   Remotely piloted suits,
assuming the data link can be made robust and jam-proof in a hostile combat environment,  gives the best of all possible worlds.

which is big part of iron man 3 movie.
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 4:01:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I want to hear "Goliath, online." come from one of these.
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 4:03:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Battlezone?
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 4:06:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A suit armored to defend against ballistic projectiles solves the wrong problem, because the assymetrical warfare tactics we most often face no longer involve the use of ballistic projectiles. The thing we need to armor ourselves against are blast injuries. TBI from concussive blasts the number one cause of casualties and bodily injury concussive blast is number two. Our enemies no longer try to go toe to toe with us. They use IED's and suicide bombers and try to blow us up. Traditional armor protects only against shrapnel from these types of blasts.

Still plenty of SAF around these parts...
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 4:27:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Battlezone?

Starcraft.
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 4:39:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The power source is the major hurdle.  We have some of the most advanced equipment but we still use AA batteries to power them.  They are great but you can only use them for 15 minutes.  Same reason electric cars are bunk.  power storage.

Quoted:
DARPA's Legged Squad Support System

Raytheon XOS Gen2 Exoskeleton

What is the greatest technological challenge to overcome? Technologically speaking we seem to have the computing power and hardware needed to control these machines. Existing armor and weapons are small/light enough to use. Is power source the greatest challenge?

This.  Generating enough power, for long enough, in a form factor that can be carried.
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 5:09:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 5:29:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I prefer this myself.

Link Posted: 5/8/2013 9:33:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A suit armored to defend against ballistic projectiles solves the wrong problem, because the assymetrical warfare tactics we most often face no longer involve the use of ballistic projectiles. The thing we need to armor ourselves against are blast injuries. TBI from concussive blasts the number one cause of casualties and bodily injury concussive blast is number two. Our enemies no longer try to go toe to toe with us. They use IED's and suicide bombers and try to blow us up. Traditional armor protects only against shrapnel from these types of blasts.

Still plenty of SAF around these parts...

Insurgents use IEDs because small arms fire is relatively ineffective and leaves them open to reprisal.  So at the very least we need to maintain the current level of protection, and if we can make it even better without increasing load (or even better, decreasing load, ha) then we're still ahead.  The new helmet is a start.  The fact that to kill or injure even small groups of Soldiers requires large pre-positioned IEDs is, when you think about it, pretty impressive all by itself.
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 10:45:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I prefer this myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJlnICLwKHk

I don't want it unless it's Clan tech.
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 11:05:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Why make it a suit? That adds around 200 pounds of useless meat. Room that could be used for more batteries or ammo.

Yup. Drones are very much involved in the future of warfare. They don't respond to pain or fear.
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 11:07:58 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why make it a suit? That adds around 200 pounds of useless meat. Room that could be used for more batteries or ammo.

Yup. Drones are very much involved in the future of warfare. They don't respond to pain or fear.

Yeah but what if everyone is broadcasting Minosky particles and jams their signals?

Link Posted: 5/8/2013 11:18:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yeah but what if everyone is broadcasting Minosky particles and jams their signals?  

It's a Gunda-aaaaaaaarrgghh
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 11:55:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Actually, the power source isn't such a HUGE deal right now- run a small gas engine onboard the damn thing, like Big Dog:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNZPRsrwumQ

It's not ideal, but it will get something up and working without waiting on [insert blue-sky energy tech here].  Run for an hour or two, then fill 'er up and head back out.

No, the BIG problem is that the sensing and control techniques really suck.  SARCOS and others typically use negative feedback applied to load sensors on the exoskeleton limbs to drive the "felt" forces to zero.  That's why the arms on the SARCOS exoskeleton will rise if the guy lets go.  The two methods to do this are known as "admittance" control or "impedance" control, depending on how compliant your robot is.  

They are both dildos.  Either one will produce an exoskeleton that is harder to and slower move in than if you didn't have it on, and they can be extraordinarily dangerous if they contact rigid surfaces.  The correct way to do this is via (primarily) feedforward mechanisms using a different sensing technology (EMG, muscle durometer, or something).  Unfortunately, these are all currently too noisy to work effectively.

Link Posted: 5/8/2013 3:14:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gundam Unicorn.

It has been dubbed. Its meh, but has some cool suits and is at least Universal Century instead of some weird off branch.

Gotcha. I wish they would do more in the vein of The 08th MS Team.
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 3:25:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I be surprised if we DIDN'T soon see infantry-operated drones with 40mm grenade launcher or something on that order. Still small arms but operating in vertical space with extremely good battlefield visibility.

And for a heavy weapons platform, a new & improved suspersize rapebot. Now with 100% more PWNED !!!
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 7:36:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I think a serious contender for future battlefield tech is the remotely guided kinetic energy weapon.   Dirt cheap,  deployable individually or

in swarms and clusters of up to thousands if set to area removal mode, and,  being kinetic in nature,  HIGHLY reliable without any potential

for causing post-battle casualties.  (Unless you pick up the leftovers of one and then drop it on your foot!)

Deployment would be simple in principle:   Either launch them from an orbital platform or deliver them from a missile booster or,  in some cases,

drop them like conventional bombs,  but at altitudes over 100K at speeds over mach 5.     Dump a few hundred of them,  and their controllers

take over their targeting from the ground.   The bomb truck exits the area and lands to reload another batch.

No warhead needed.   Rocket motor for velocity increase optional and not usually required.  

When you slam a hundred kilos of steel into a hardened target at something in the range of 2 miles per second, shit tends to vaporize,

disappear, and, if slightly farther away,  explode.

CJ
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 3:41:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think a serious contender for future battlefield tech is the remotely guided kinetic energy weapon.   Dirt cheap,  deployable individually or
in swarms and clusters of up to thousands if set to area removal mode, and,  being kinetic in nature,  HIGHLY reliable without any potential
for causing post-battle casualties.  (Unless you pick up the leftovers of one and then drop it on your foot!)

Deployment would be simple in principle:   Either launch them from an orbital platform or deliver them from a missile booster or,  in some cases,
drop them like conventional bombs,  but at altitudes over 100K at speeds over mach 5.     Dump a few hundred of them,  and their controllers
take over their targeting from the ground.   The bomb truck exits the area and lands to reload another batch.

No warhead needed.   Rocket motor for velocity increase optional and not usually required.  

When you slam a hundred kilos of steel into a hardened target at something in the range of 2 miles per second, shit tends to vaporize,

CJ

This is about the improvement of infantry...not the destruction of targets wholesale.

What if you need capture or kill all left handed red haired people on a planet? You cannot do that with a kinetic kill weapon.
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 4:15:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

CJ

This is about the improvement of infantry...not the destruction of targets wholesale.

What if you need capture or kill all left handed red haired people on a planet? You cannot do that with a kinetic kill weapon.

No, but if you kill every last person you know you killed what you intended
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 5:05:36 AM EDT
[#24]
I just want to know when I'll get my Elemental suit?  Missles, lasers, machine gun, radar, jump jets, Harjel that numbs and heals wounds, full body tourniquet if necessary, and it can withstand a direct PPC shot.  

Beat that, Space Marines.

Link Posted: 5/9/2013 5:27:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Actually, the power source isn't such a HUGE deal right now- run a small gas engine onboard the damn thing, like Big Dog:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNZPRsrwumQ

It's not ideal, but it will get something up and working without waiting on [insert blue-sky energy tech here].  Run for an hour or two, then fill 'er up and head back out.

No, the BIG problem is that the sensing and control techniques really suck.  SARCOS and others typically use negative feedback applied to load sensors on the exoskeleton limbs to drive the "felt" forces to zero.  That's why the arms on the SARCOS exoskeleton will rise if the guy lets go.  The two methods to do this are known as "admittance" control or "impedance" control, depending on how compliant your robot is.  

They are both dildos.  Either one will produce an exoskeleton that is harder to and slower move in than if you didn't have it on, and they can be extraordinarily dangerous if they contact rigid surfaces.  The correct way to do this is via (primarily) feedforward mechanisms using a different sensing technology (EMG, muscle durometer, or something).  Unfortunately, these are all currently too noisy to work effectively.

That's why a mech would be superior to a suit.  Simply pilot the mech vs making a suit that mimics and enhances your movement.

Link Posted: 5/9/2013 5:54:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 6:09:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Give me this.

http://youtu.be/xA9hQx-SJ5Y

I dunno if I would want that ... It would depend on how good of splits the CO can pull off.
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 6:25:15 AM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 5/9/2013 6:44:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Give me this.

http://youtu.be/xA9hQx-SJ5Y

I dunno if I would want that ... It would depend on how good of splits the CO can pull off.

Well, you wouldn't be stuck permanently in the suit. Tycus was stuck in a unfortunate situation. But its basically power armor.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top