BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:02:57 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What's the average life span now 78 or so
- I guess by the time you are in you 60's you are going to have to claim it (and I'm way too close to it to like saying this).
View Quote

Or so, actuarial is ~83.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:08:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Old to me is 60+.   Im 33 btw
View Quote

When I was in my 30's-40's 60 was old. I'm 60 now and 60 isn't old. 70 is though.
As somebody else said your definition of old changes.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:09:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Old is a state of mind; you have it.
View Quote

It's also the state of my body.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:14:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Old = 15 years older than you are.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:17:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm 38 and I was just thinking about getting a fishing hat.  (Think Filson, Tilley etc).

And I thought to myself, fuck it, I'm kinda old now, I can wear that shit.

So how old does a guy have to be before he's old?
View Quote

That is about the age I started not giving a fuck about anything...........At a certain point your own happiness is worth more than the perception of others, and thats when you are "OLD".

Speed

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:20:49 PM EDT
[#6]
If you're the least bit sentient you can feel or at the very least take note of yourself getting older. As much as I don't want to admit it, Im not the super human I was at 21.

Shit, at 34 it takes me longer to recover from a hangover, a heavy lifting day, or a night of wild sex then when I was 24 and I could do all those things simultaneously. But I can still keep up with the early 20's crowd since thats primarily who I date/hang with because about 95% of my peer group are married with kids. I don't know if that is a compliment to me or an indictment to the 20's crowd these days.

I view a man's 30's as a battle for the rest of his life. You eat right, rest enough, keep fit, and you will probably be set for a pace of life that lags your true age by a decade or more. But on the other hand if you smoke, drink, eat like shit, get fat, etc. you are setting yourself up to have some type of metabolic disorder and other ailments which, while still able to be overcome if enough effort is put forth, will be much harder to do so than if you exit your 30's in as good or better shape then you went into them in.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:22:50 PM EDT
[#7]
70 is the new old.

I just turned 60.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:24:06 PM EDT
[#8]
If I had to put an age on when my body started taking a shit it was 38.   Enjoy your last good year.

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:24:42 PM EDT
[#9]
It's a state of mind thing.

Known a goodly number of 70yr+ people that were full of life and vigor.
Also known a few 30yr olds that were Old Farts.

I'm closing in on 60 myself. The old saying, The mind is willing but the body is not is true.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:27:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:31:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I just wish there was a better alternative to being old than being dead.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I was called sir by a woman/ girl (looked late teens/ early 20s) when I held a door for her...... I'm 29...

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:43:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What's the average life span now 78 or so - I guess by the time you are in you 60's you are going to have to claim it (and I'm way too close to it to like saying this).
View Quote

Just turned 60, so yeah.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:46:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Or so, actuarial is ~83.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What's the average life span now 78 or so - I guess by the time you are in you 60's you are going to have to claim it (and I'm way too close to it to like saying this).
Or so, actuarial is ~83.

Yo got me curious so I did a search; the CDC has it at 78.8, SSA estimates if you turn 65 now it is 84.3; so the .gov can't agree with itself - again....still......

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Yo got me curious so I did a search; the CDC has it at 78.8, SSA estimates if you turn 65 now it is 84.3; so the .gov can't agree with itself - again....still......

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or so, actuarial is ~83.

Two differnt units of measure is not a disagreement.  Read what you just wrote, the 78.8 number includes all people who are 65 and above and includes tons from the boomer generation, the 84.3 is a subset of only people turning 65 now (when the data was generated).  

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Two differnt units of measure is not a disagreement.  Read what you just wrote, the 78.8 number includes all people who are 65 and above and includes tons from the boomer generation, the 84.3 is a subset of only people turning 65 now (when the data was generated).  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or so, actuarial is ~83.

Bloody actuarial statistics will be the death of us.....

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 4:20:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 4:27:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm old and won't wear a Tilley hat.  Boonie or a camo ballcap when out in the sun. I really don't like wearing hats, but....
View Quote

You sound more like a Millennial.  I'm 52 and Tilly hats have saved my noggin from more rainstorms and blizzards than I can count.   Particularly the one where I was standing in a snowstorm affer being caught up in a four car pile up.  

What do YOU do in winter, stand in the cold and fashionably freeze?

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#19]
When you are thirty, you will think you are old and be nostalgic for when you were 20.

...but when you are Forty, you will think you are old and you'll be nostalgic for when you were 30,  You will also feel foolish for thinking you were old at 30.

... but when you are Fifty, you will think you are old and you'll be nostalgic for when you were 40.  You will also feel foolish for thinking you were old at 40.

...but when you are Sixty, you will think you are old and you'll be nostalgic for when you were 50.  You will also feel foolish for thinking you were old at 50.

See how it works?
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 4:35:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm late 20s and feel fucking old right now

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 4:35:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm 60 and I don't feel old in the least.
I can still ride a mountain bike for two solid hours 3 times per week.
I can eat like a pothead and not gain any weight.

The only thing I complain about is all the gray hair sprouting from odd places.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 4:36:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
To me, you START to get old at around 40.

That's when your vision starts to go (and you start needing reading glasses).  It's when you notice that injuries don't heal as quickly as they used to, and you never QUITE get back to 100%, etc.

At 50, I think you start to REALLY notice that you can no longer easily do things that you used to be able to - but you can still stay relatively fit and active if you are willing to put in the effort - but it takes a lot more effort, and is a lot more difficult to sustain without constant injury.

To my mind, 60 is when you officially reach the status of "old" - and have to accept that you are on the final lap.

Obviously, YMMV.
View Quote

Interesting.  My aunt is in her 90's and she's more mobile than any of the kiddies nowadays who are glued to their PlayStations.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 4:49:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 4:49:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

yup and I'm roughly the same age.

I'm guessing I'll feel older when I can no longer pull women in their mid 20's
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 4:53:36 PM EDT
[#25]
To me, "Old" is when you pause and realize you can't do certain things anymore as easily as you used to.

I did an 8 mile hike a month ago...and hurt like hell for days afterward.  Fuck
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 4:56:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 5:09:46 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm 60, but I can out hike, backpack and cycle most of you basement dwellers.
It's more a state of mind if you take care of yourself.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 5:12:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Old is when every morning you hear "Snap! Crackle! Pop!!!" and it's before breakfast.  And you're not eating Rice Crispies.

Old is when you realize that you are not as young as your mental image of yourself has been for most of your life.

Old is when the DMV worker tells you that you've written your hair color wrong when you filled out your driver's license renewal and they change it to "GRAY".

Old is when you start wondering how much steeper the hills have gotten because you just can't climb them like you used to without breathing hard and having to stop to take a break.

Old is when you realize that you have fewer years ahead of you than you have behind you, if you are lucky enough to live as long as your longest lived relative.

Fuck it, OP.  If you want to wear a fishing hat to keep the sun off your bald spot, neck, face and ears, go for it!
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 5:19:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Old is a state of mind; you have it.
View Quote
My aching back, screaming knees, and sagging sack all beg to differ with this assessment.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 5:30:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Old is when you only care about your own opinion of yourself.  It's when you wear whatever you please because it suits you.  It's when you treat other people the way you'd like to be treated.  I think that's called the, "golden rule," by some.  It's when you've got better things to think about than how old you are, and what you lack, and instead choose to think positively and look for the good in life and other people.  It's when you love more and know that it's more blessed to give than to receive.  I'm 64 and I've got a lot more living to do, however long that is.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 5:31:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Days seem shorter as you age. I'd say when they seem about 1/3 of what they were when you were in your teens, you're old.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 5:32:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm older than you are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm old and won't wear a Tilley hat.  Boonie or a camo ballcap when out in the sun. I really don't like wearing hats, but....

You sound more like a Millennial.  I'm 52 and Tilly hats have saved my noggin from more rainstorms and blizzards than I can count.   Particularly the one where I was standing in a snowstorm affer being caught up in a four car pile up.  

What do YOU do in winter, stand in the cold and fashionably freeze?

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/images/shoes/tilleyhats/tilleyhats-tw2_winter_hat-5419_hd.jpg

I'm older than you are.

Hell, I'm older than all you fuckin' guys.

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 5:34:34 PM EDT
[#33]
I just turned 42.  I got called "sir" by a hot barista at the coffee shop.  She's in college.  That made me feel old.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 5:38:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Old to me is when mind & body doesn't work anymore, time to move on to the next life.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 5:38:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Old is when every morning you hear "Snap! Crackle! Pop!!!" and it's before breakfast.  And you're not eating Rice Crispies.

Old is when you realize that you are not as young as your mental image of yourself has been for most of your life.

Old is when the DMV worker tells you that you've written your hair color wrong when you filled out your driver's license renewal and they change it to "GRAY".

Old is when you start wondering how much steeper the hills have gotten because you just can't climb them like you used to without breathing hard and having to stop to take a break.

Old is when you realize that you have fewer years ahead of you than you have behind you, if you are lucky enough to live as long as your longest lived relative.

Fuck it, OP.  If you want to wear a fishing hat to keep the sun off your bald spot, neck, face and ears, go for it!
View Quote

Old is seeing the naked guy in the mirror and thinking, "How the fuck did THAT happen?"
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 5:39:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Old is when you think more about the past than the future.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 5:47:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 5:49:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#39]

I remember when I thought 45 was old.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 5:50:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I heard the opposite: Old is when you stop reflecting on the past and start worry about how much time you have left.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 5:52:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Clint Eastwood during an interview said he never has looked at himself as a old guy. Said he thought he was young in his mind and curiosity about the world.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 5:53:27 PM EDT
[#42]
depends on how you take care of yourself .. you can be old at 40 or old at 70 its all about diet and exercise imo..
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 5:56:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Old is when you stop buying green bananas.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 5:58:40 PM EDT
[#44]
When a hot women in a mini skirt doesn't excite me anymore...that is the day that I will be "OLD"
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 6:00:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I heard the opposite: Old is when you stop reflecting on the past and start worry about how much time you have left.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The glass - half full or half empty?

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 6:03:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Most days I feel like a 20 year old. Problem is, they think I'm old.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 6:10:04 PM EDT
[#47]
I think 15-20 years older than me is old.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I was called sir by a woman/ girl (looked late teens/ early 20s) when I held a door for her...... I'm 29...

View Quote

Go back and find her in 20 years.
Make her call you "Sir" in her screams of passion . . .
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 6:42:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Old, you will know when it smack you in the face.

Or when looking at yourself naked in a full length mirror. Is your ass still there? Or do you look like someone made a frog stand on its hind legs?

Or when a hot young girl runs to get to the door before you...so she can hold it open for an old guy like you.

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 6:44:55 PM EDT
[#50]
4,600,007,542 years is old.

But I am a geologist and have a different view of "old."
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top