Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 1:21:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It’s bad. I’ve known multiple people that developed it and died and only one (my uncle) who got through it.
View Quote

This persons been near death a dozen times in last 18 months.

Little background.  Zero impulse control, ALWAYS has to be “ their way”, they get an urge, they do it. Eat, smoke, drink, no exercise, ignores serious shit until it’s catastrophic. Still ignore it, until symptoms get too bad to ignore. For example.  ( ignored cancer diagnosis until physical pain could not be ignored anymore, only then sought surgery / relief )

Bad dental health at least last 5 years, constant infections, pain, seeks help,  ER orders over night antibiotics. 2 hours in, hospital makes them mad, they stomp out, go home. antibiotics stop pain, totally ignore dental issues until it repeats every 2 months or so. On and on for years.

Then about 13 months ago.

Suddenly can’t breath a year ago, thought they were dying. turns out heart functioning at 20%, fluid build up. Of course this persons a gigantic pain in the ass, second they ease breathing, gets pissed over something, stomps out.

Back 2 days later, rinse repeat for months.

Eats bad shit / salty stuff, retains fluid, LASIK’s can’t keep up, Iv lasiks work, spends a day in hospital each week.

LASIKs screwing up kidney functions. Still eating, smoking, won’t take meds.

Think they are dying, back in hospital, get slight relief, angry, stomp out, rinse repeat.

Basic attitude… “ I’m dying anyway, might as well enjoy life, eating smoking”.

Now year later, still alive, barely, but if had been working on things, probably much improved by now, but no, gotten worse.

Pacemaker installed, gets zapped, keeps it 10 days, leads come loose, remove it, now septic. I think blood related ? Probably combination dental infections, surgery infection maybe.

Just a all round goat fuck of no impulse control, OCD issues, and probably low level mental issues,  at 30 years old.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I never heard of someone that young getting it.
View Quote

I posted an update, not hard to figure out once you read the various issues.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 1:22:31 PM EDT
[#3]
This is a weird thread.

Sepsis untreated is deadly.

I've had an infection in my leg that (annoyingly) seems to come back every year or two (Erysipelas, a severe form of cellulitis), last year it came back twice in succession and I spent a week in the hospital on the second go-round because I was septic.  It sucks, but it would suck worse to be dead.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 1:25:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This persons been near death a dozen times in last 18 months.
View Quote

Maybe he's the sort of person where St Peter is constantly like "I got enough shit on my plate, try again tomorrow" and he's going to make it
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 1:26:15 PM EDT
[#5]
This is just a person who doesn't want to be alive slowly getting their wish.

Sorry, OP.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 1:26:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I had an MRI with contrast, they apparently gave me sepsis. I don't remember a week of my life, was in ICU for 4 days, regular room a few more. Dr said I was 1 or 2 days from death and I was in the hospital 2 or 3 days after I got sick. So about 5 days from infection I would have died.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 1:26:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Huge difference in sepsis vs septic shock. Septic shock can quickly turn into a mixed septic/cardiogenic shock and if his EF is already that low the odds are not in his favor.

Either way, it’s absolutely serious and mortality is high
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 1:29:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is just a person who doesn't want to be alive slowly getting their wish.

Sorry, OP.
View Quote

I think the core problem is mental issues. For example, simply cannot tolerate any change in life. Simply cannot take change / can’t let go of anything. OCD in a way, has to be their way, in everything.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 1:29:28 PM EDT
[#9]
sepsis is poisoning of the blood, basically. For staph the body gets tricked into launching a very powerful attack against its self it all depends on the bug. so in this type of shock the body is leaving most of its blood outside of the heart to try to inc perfusion. then u have the heart failure stuff the body will try to inc pressure and attempt to pump more blood out. but theres two really bad things going on at the same time with opposite effects.  its a good thing ur family memember is at the hospital. once u get sepsis theres no coming back. My stupid grandma refused to get her gallbladder out morning of the surgery she said the dr will kill me i am not going so we left her. 2-3 weeks later she died of sepsis.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 1:30:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That seems like a strange way to remove a pace maker.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cesarean section increases the risk of postoperative infection, which can then develop into sepsis. The results of many previous studies [8–10] have shown that the occurrence of postoperative sepsis can significantly increase the risk of death in patients.

That seems like a strange way to remove a pace maker.

You must have missed this gem from Op today.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Why-are-babies-not-all-delivered-via-c-section-these-days-/5-2640274/
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 1:31:12 PM EDT
[#11]
My very healthy and fit sister in law went from sepsis to septic shock in a few hours, and ended up in a coma and on a ventilator.

The doctors thought she had less than a 50/50 shot at surviving.

She barely survived, and now has heart damage as a result.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 1:31:20 PM EDT
[#12]
It killed my healthy 30yo cousin in just a couple days
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 1:31:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Bad enough to die from it, within days
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 1:31:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Huge difference in sepsis vs septic shock. Septic shock can quickly turn into a mixed septic/cardiogenic shock and if his EF is already that low the odds are not in his favor.

Either way, it’s absolutely serious and mortality is high
View Quote

This was caught early-ish I think. Surgery to remove pacemaker and caught during routine labs.  Person is stable, but going to be in Iv antibiotics for next 2 weeks.

But won’t make any difference unless teeth get pulled to remove problem imho. But like I said, second symptoms go away, person pretends they never existed to begin with, until it returns worse than before.

I won’t be surprised if they pass at anytime to be honest, short of swallowing poison they are doing everything possible to kill themself .
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 1:35:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I had an associate who died of sepsis which resulted from a small but severe burn that became infected, abscessed, necrotized and in less than a week led to his death. The sad part is that the doctors told his family that if he had come to the hospital just a day earlier, the antibiotics might have saved him. He was fit and healthy before the burn. He was just the type of guy who pushed through pain.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 1:36:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Cesarean section increases the risk of postoperative infection, which can then develop into sepsis. The results of many previous studies [8–10] have shown that the occurrence of postoperative sepsis can significantly increase the risk of death in patients.
View Quote

Did you just cross buck19 medical streams?  I thought crossing the streams was very bad?!?
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 1:42:46 PM EDT
[#17]
My MIL had sepsis.  In her 70s, extremely obese and a bunch of other issues.  No expected her to make it.  She survived on pure spite and the need to inflict more pain and agony on the family.  I predict that she will outlive all of us unless one of the aides puts a pillow over her face.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 1:56:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Deadly serious!!
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 2:00:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I won’t be surprised if they pass at anytime to be honest, short of swallowing poison they are doing everything possible to kill themself .
View Quote

Is this a non-binary person? There's one problem (mental illness)
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 2:05:00 PM EDT
[#20]
I had it 5 years ago. I didn't know it at the time but it almost killed me
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 2:57:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Pretty damn serious, especially when piled on top of heart failure.  

They're fighting for their life right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

At 30, it's damn serious.

Is he in Kentucky too? I swear, some of the sickest patients I had were there, should be dead and walk out a week later.  A lifetime of shitty habits apparently makes "more shitty" health problems only slightly worse than their norm.

Quoted:

It's not that uncommon.  Depends on local demographics.  Working in KY (and Detroit) on the I-75 corridor, lots of IV drug abuse.  They get endocarditis pretty frequently.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 2:59:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Bad……like you can die bad
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 3:06:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

We got a bot up in here.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 3:08:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had a cousin die from it in his 20s. He had a history of drug abuse so he wasn't in the best shape going in to it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 3:10:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

We got a bot up in here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We got a bot up in here.

Link Posted: 4/24/2023 3:14:28 PM EDT
[#26]
My father died from it.  Severe septic shock.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#27]
One thing not mentioned is that the treatment itself can be deadly.

Hit it too hard, too fast, and you're destroying body systems.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 3:16:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Killed my father in about 2 hours
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 3:20:40 PM EDT
[#29]
It really depends on their comorbidities. Sepsis is successfully treated very often. However, it could also be that gentle kiss into this good night.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 3:26:22 PM EDT
[#30]
High likelihood of death.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 3:26:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Very serious. Family member was septic. By the time the doctors realized and got them on IV antibiotics the infection had eaten a heart valve pretty good. Required heart surgery to replace the valve. Had a stroke coming out of surgery and is partially paralyzed on one side of the body.

This person ran 5 miles per day prior. Now walks with a noticeable disability and can never drive again.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 3:27:33 PM EDT
[#32]
It killed my wife in three days after getting a UTI, falling and breaking her femur. Destroyed her whole lower vascular system in hours, nothing they could do for her.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 3:27:57 PM EDT
[#33]
It can kill in hours sometimes, it kind of depends what is causing it.

It always serious
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 3:28:08 PM EDT
[#34]
This person have an enabler? Drives them home when docs say not a good idea or feed them foods that shouldn't be eaten?
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 3:31:34 PM EDT
[#35]
My 21 yo daughter had sepsis. She died in less than 36 hours.

She's my avatar.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 3:34:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Before I joined the army, I worked in an ICU and watched people die of sepsis. The sepsis releases toxins that the body cannot filter, leading ultimately to multiple organ system failure. They are dying, and are in pain the whole time they are dying.

They are moving the family member to the nursing home for end of life care. The only thing you can do is send flowers, help with funeral arrangements,  and possibly purchase a life insurance policy on them.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#37]
They are moving them to a nursing home to die.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

She's my avatar.
View Quote

i remember reading your story.  i’m sorry you had to go through that. prayers.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 3:50:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I mean I know it's really bad, just looking for some more info.

Little background.

Family member who's never taken care of themselves, zero impulse control,  finally crashed with very serious medical issues at 30 years old. smoking, drinking, over eating , decade of obesity has devolved into heart failure, 25% heart function and other serious complications with pace maker surgery, where it had to be removed due to lead issues, and initial infection

14 days of Iv antibiotics were ordered a few days ago, now I guess blood tests are showing sepsis , and due to insurance issues being moves from hospital to a nursing home.

This as bad as I think it is ?

View Quote
It doesn't get much worse than that man, I'm sorry.  

Systemic sepsis can be treated successfully, provided the person has a decently healthy body and immune system.... which your family member does not.  

I hope they get the sepsis treated before moving them, else it's not going to go well at all.

After reading your additional info at the top of this page, yeah, this is probably going to be the end.  

Link Posted: 4/24/2023 3:52:59 PM EDT
[#40]
It is found on many, many death certificates.

Not at all kidding, a lot of them.

It is really bad.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#41]
This is the time to call dibs on guns.

It's literally the most seriously deadly infection you can have, and can reach a stage that is beyond medical treatment very quickly.

Prayers for your family OP.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 4:01:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Its adios time usually.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 4:02:59 PM EDT
[#43]
It can kill.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 4:26:47 PM EDT
[#44]
If I was the patient with what you described I wouldn't go to a nursing home instead I would go for a walk and not come back.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 4:36:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

She's my avatar.
View Quote

Sorry to read that.  I can't imagine what you went through.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 4:37:43 PM EDT
[#46]
It's very bad.  Had a 40 y/o friend die from it due to a damned ingrown hair that got infected.  Got sick, went to the hospital, dead within 24 hours.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 4:39:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Sepsis is what my Dad died from due to an intestinal infection. It lead to multiple organ failure.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 4:43:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

FPNI

Life & Death serious.

We had a Fire Chief die in his forties, Mr. Tough guy had abdominal pain, roughed it out at home for a few days, turned out to be a perforated bowel, went septic, dead inside a week.

Bad deal, sepsis
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 4:53:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Jesus Christ reading this thread has brought on the cold sweats and my hypochondria.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 4:56:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Jesus Christ reading this thread has brought on the cold sweats and my hypochondria.
View Quote

Dibs on you guns and ammo!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top