Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:18:00 PM EDT
[#1]
My grandmother got sepsis after a knee surgery. Started talking French all of a sudden and acting loopy. She recovered but was in pretty bad shape for a while.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:23:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
it's as bad as you think it is
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:28:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I never heard of someone that young getting it.
View Quote

Modern medicine let’s people destroy themselves and we keep them alive, until we don’t.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:30:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Buddy of mine had it due to some complications that spiraled out of control. He was 35 at the time.

He ended up on an ECMO machine and some other contraptions. He wasn’t expected to survive so family stayed close.

Thankfully he ended up pulling through by some miracle but there are long term cognitive effects.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:31:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Sepsis and infection is probably one of the top killers in hospitalized patients.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:31:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
latest word, insurance wont pay for remaining 12 days of iv antibiotic therapy at hospital, talking about sending them home with 12 days of oral antibiotics.  obviously thats much less effective, decent chance of bad outcome on iv antibiotics, much less chance of surviving on oral antibiotics, their family members making a fuss at hospital, so see what happens.
View Quote

See if they can do a pic line and IV at home.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:42:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 1:41:24 AM EDT
[#8]
My speech on sepsis is the following:

“The government in their infinite wisdom has created a system of check boxes and if you check enough boxes the government thinks you might be septic. So if you have a fever and your heart is beating over 90 times a minute because you have a fever and you have a source of infection that is enough to meet criteria.

Back in the day that used to mean you were really sick and might be in my ICU on medications to maintain your blood pressure but now it means you checked enough boxes.

What does that mean to you? It means we are going to treat you more aggressively and do some frequent testing to make sure you are responding appropriately.”

Now there is still real sepsis and people who are really sick but we over identify it in many people

Now blood cultures being positive, meaning you are growing bacteria in your blood is something else and called bacteremia. With it you may or may not actually be septic.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 2:03:08 AM EDT
[#9]
For the most part, sepsis means you are going to die. Maybe not, but probably.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 2:54:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I got septic when I was 31. Strep throat that got into my sinus then spread. Was in the hospital for 3 weeks and 2 of those were my death bed. Highly recommended not going through it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 4:10:30 AM EDT
[#11]
My father died from it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 4:46:58 AM EDT
[#12]
I went into septic shock last spring after developing severe pneumonia after being intubated for a heart attack.  About all I can tell you about it is they kept me dosed up with IV mega-antibiotics for two weeks, and I made it.  A lot of folks aren't as lucky.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I got septic when I was 31. Strep throat that got into my sinus then spread. Was in the hospital for 3 weeks and 2 of those were my death bed. Highly recommended not going through it.
View Quote

Strep pyogenes is very very bad when it's not in your throat. We called all group A streps as a critical result regardless of where it was at. It is never part of the normal flora.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 2:23:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
latest word, insurance wont pay for remaining 12 days of iv antibiotic therapy at hospital, talking about sending them home with 12 days of oral antibiotics.  obviously thats much less effective, decent chance of bad outcome on iv antibiotics, much less chance of surviving on oral antibiotics, their family members making a fuss at hospital, so see what happens.

Infectious disease dude put a hold on things, keeping them at hospital while they try to find source of the infection.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 11:49:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Here's a local news article about a man who had been in mostly healthy condition until sepsis did what it does, to him:

https://www.wyff4.com/article/south-carolina-man-foot-wound-sepsis-infection/43700285
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top