Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 7:51:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thankfully Gorilla Tape is pretty strong.
View Quote
Maybe you could use it to make a ladder.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 8:02:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I was about too say to suck it up and go by a 16' fiberglass A Frame ladder, but I'll be damned if when I went to the HD website to get the link the thing wasn't $600.

No idea when or where I got mine, but it's a heavy bitch to move and if I didn't own it and was in your situation I'd venture you'd be able to find someone to change them for a hell of a lot less than $600.
View Quote
I’d probably need a 12-ft A-frame, they’re $244 at Lowe’s. Still, that’s expensive.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 8:12:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Buy an extension ladder.  You need one anyway.
View Quote
This. I have one specifically for inside - a nice 16 ft extension.  Tougher to access something hanging in the middle of an entryway like that, but it can be done with some creativity.

On as side note, my FD would go out on public service runs for folks who had smoke detectors mounted in crazy places like that...or in one case a cheap builder fixture hanging 15' up in an entryway that was falling apart and threatening to drop panes of glass.  Shit, if we weren't doing anything, it was better than hanging around the station.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 8:16:11 PM EDT
[#4]
  My fan/ light combo is 16' in the air.  I change bulbs with a 22' extension ladder and bracing to keep it from sliding.

I don't enjoy doing it which is why I put led bulbs in.

Link Posted: 11/11/2017 8:33:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Little giant ladder would work perfect for that.  I bought into the little giant and I absolutely love it.  Very versatile and very well made.  From what I've read, the cheaper clones are not nearly as good.  

Buy once, cry once, and it will serve any indoor/outdoor needs you could throw at it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 8:33:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Change out the light fixture with one that you can change the bulbs with a pole from the floor.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 8:56:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That must be the nicest house in Somali!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That must be the nicest house in Somali!
Being a warlord has some perks.

I have installed motorized chandeliers in a few homes. But in my area the two story foyers are common. Having a open type fixture makes bulb changes easier. I do have a 16’ double step ladder for installs. It is heavy and pricey.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 9:00:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you go into the attic you will see the builder leaves more than enough chain to lower it to the ground for service.
View Quote
You have no idea what you are talking about.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 9:02:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I have ten foot ceilings and can't reach anything.  I've had several blown out bulbs for about a year.

I call it mood lighting, and added a floor lamp to compensate.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 9:08:23 PM EDT
[#10]
You better buy a ladder.  People here don't forget.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 9:11:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

LOL okay bud

I work in million dollar mcmansions and actual real mansions all year long, maybe 1% have lifts.  1 out of a hundred.  I install them occasionally as well, at a price of $3000-5000 depending on the ceiling and model.  I don't know what his actual house is, but your statement is laughable and you literally have no clue of what goes on outside of your moms basement.
View Quote
why the hell are they so expensive, a 1100 lb hoist is like 150 bucks at harbor freight...
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 9:15:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Tagging this safe thread for it's conclusion
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 9:18:02 PM EDT
[#13]
2 extension ladders, a 2x12 and my snorkel. Trust me dude, I've made scaffolding with less...
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 9:21:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Honest answer, I would just never worry about turning it on. When I sold the place, if it was an issue that was noticed, I'd offer to take $100 off the sale price. 
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 9:28:58 PM EDT
[#15]
What is lighting design?  Lol.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 9:34:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Go in the attic above and pull the fixture to you.
View Quote

Gonna cut a big hole in the ceiling?
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 9:35:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Do you even latter, bro?
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 9:41:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is true. @Subnet still gets lug nut jokes, like...6 years after that thread.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 9:42:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I used to work with a guy that was the cheapest MFer on the planet. Every Fall he would go to Home Depot, buy a rake, rake up the leaves in his yard and then return the rake for a refund.

Always seemed pretty douchey to me, but if you were so inclined, I'm sure you could do the same thing with a ladder.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 9:42:22 PM EDT
[#20]
have your boyfriend buy you an A-frame ladder?
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 9:42:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Skyhook.
They are in the aisle with the wire stretchers.
View Quote
^ This ^
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 9:46:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Install some sconce lighting in the foyer and never turn on the chandelier again. 
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 9:47:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Bingo.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
scissor lift
Bingo.
And look at leds so you won't have to do it again.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 9:47:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Calculate how many bags of play sand would be needed to build a stair like mound up to the light.

Change bulbs.

Return play sand to Home Depot.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 9:52:51 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote
Why did you buy a new fixture when you could have the guys in your first picture just reach over and change the bulbs?
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 9:58:22 PM EDT
[#26]
extension ladder or just ask SIA i heard she like to swing from the chandelier....
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 9:59:56 PM EDT
[#27]
There was once an unimaginably huge megastructure in Egypt.  The pyramids were built to make changing the torches in the chandeliers easier.  Learn from the Egyptians.  
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 10:28:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 10:29:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Gonna cut a big hole in the ceiling?
View Quote
. If you point it out someone won't do it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 1:10:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I guarantee you that decorative metal point at the bottom unscrews, and the glass comes with it to access the bulbs from underneath.
View Quote

I like the monkey idea better, however Swede is right. 99% chance it unscrews. OP needs to consult his husband before attempting though.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 1:22:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Ask a friend to help

Link Posted: 11/12/2017 1:24:16 AM EDT
[#32]
I bet you could reach it with an extention ladder. Position it so as you climb up the ladder you are under the light fixture. Be sure to put towels on the top of the ladder so it doesn’t leave scuff marks on the wall. We had a house simular to that and it worked perfectly.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 1:55:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'll bet a monkey  little kid hanging on to the end of a long pole could get up there and change the bulb.

Is there anyplace local that rents monkeys? Is there a day care nearby?
View Quote
FIFY
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 7:26:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
No shit. Who wants to be known as the guy who doesn't have a ladder?
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 7:43:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Go to Menards and buy a ladder, under a hun.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 8:06:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Whatever you do, replace them with LEDs.   You won't need to replace them ever again.
View Quote
I wish.

I have had 2 of those LED bulbs that are supposed to last for years go bad after a few months.

The LEDs themselves will last for years, but the bulbs have printed circuits inside and they have capacitors that go bad way before the LEDs go bad.

By the way, an LED does not "go bad" (i.e., stop working and go dark).  An LED gets darker and darker over the years.  You might not notice it.  They set the "expected life" at the point where the brightness is expected to be 80% (as I recall) of the original level.

PS: I doubt that he can reach the fixture from a ladder.  It's too far from the wall.

But he will need scaffold anyway when his wife says that he needs to repaint the walls because the color is "soooooo dated".  
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 8:11:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Tag cause funny.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 8:15:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'll bet a monkey hanging on to the end of a long pole could get up there and change the bulb.

Is there anyplace local that rents monkeys?
View Quote
Why, oh why was this not the first post?

Clearly, the monkey solution is the best solution.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 8:21:46 AM EDT
[#39]
It looks like that glass can come out from the bottom if you can remove the center metal piece.
If you have a ladder to reach the light then take the bottom off and replace the bulbs.
I don't think it was intended to reach over the top to replace bulbs.

I have several ceiling fans that have glass over the light just like this.
You just unscrew the center metal piece, then remove the glass and then the bulbs are exposed.
I can reach over the top of the glass and touch the bulbs.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 8:27:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Get a ladder and replace the whole fixture. That thing is pretty awful looking. It looks like its made to match the fixtures that come in three packs at Home Depot for $20. Then use LEDs.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 8:38:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Buy a little giant ladder, you'll use the shit out of it.  and with a fixture like that I bet you have smoke detectors that are a bitch to get to...

just wait until a battery goes bad and the smoke detector starts chirping at 2am

or you can call the FD ....., the FD in my old town used to do it all the time.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:11:23 PM EDT
[#43]
FYI, yes I do have a ladder. Just not one tall enough to reach this.

We do have a pretty heavy-duty table, though. Maybe I could put the ladder on top of that...hmmmmmm....

I agree, it isn’t the prettiest chandelier ever. But it was here when we purchased the house earlier this year and we’ve had other priorities since then like daycare and student loans.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:14:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Buy a little giant ladder, you'll use the shit out of it.  and with a fixture like that I bet you have smoke detectors that are a bitch to get to...

just wait until a battery goes bad and the smoke detector starts chirping at 2am

or you can call the FD ....., the FD in my old town used to do it all the time.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Cut it down with a tree trimmer. You are gonna need a new chandelier and a way to hang it... But you can change the bulbs.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:17:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Ladder to reach that sheetrock portico-thing, then pull the chain to you.

You don't own a ladder?
View Quote
this...
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:20:17 PM EDT
[#47]
What does the area below it look like?   Just floor?  Stairs?   Ledges?
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:21:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
When you figure out how to get up there, use LED bulbs so they'll last a long time.
View Quote
make sure you buy the correct color and a good quality bulb.  otherwise you will be back in 6-9 months.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:26:33 PM EDT
[#49]
You should install a permanent ladder to that little loft thingy anyway..

Hell of an elevated shooting position to go unused.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:27:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Use a sawzall to cut the house in half at the top of the first floor.

Then hook a chain to your house and use your truck to quickly pull the first floor out from under the second floor. The second floor will land on the foundation.

Congrats, your chandelier is now accessible.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top