Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/19/2023 9:42:29 PM EDT
We bought a second house in New Hampshire and are going to leave a 2002 Toyota Sequoia there. It has 4wd and a rear locking differential so It should do well I the snow with the right tires.

is this too much driveway for this SUV or should I look at a dedicated tractor of some kind to plow the driveway?

My budget is $10,000 for dedicated machine.

What do you recommend?
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:43:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Tractor with a snowblower
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:46:07 PM EDT
[#2]
If we get a crazy multi foot storm it won’t matter what kind of tires you have. Get yourself a plow guy to come and clear it or get a tractor if you have the dough. My driveway is 210 feet and I use an ATV with a plow or a big snowblower depending on the kind of snow that needs clearing….
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:48:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Three teenaged children with shovels.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:51:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Tractor with FEL and a blade on the back. Use the blade to move the snow, and the FEL to clear the ends, and push back/move piles if you need to.

Kubota usually has the 0interest 5 year pmt thing. Might be worth spending the $ and getting something new and reliable. Getting snowed in with no way to clear it makes for some really screwed up days.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:51:51 PM EDT
[#5]
10k isn't going to get you much....

Maybe a old Cub Cadet Low boy and a vintage plow.

Maybe buy the largest walk behind snow blower you can get.

ETA: Found the pic of the same set up I used to have... was great for 6 acres with 72" mid deck.   I should have never sold that tractor.

Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:54:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I recommend staying in CA when it’s snowing in NH.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:57:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
10k isn't going to get you much....

Maybe a old Cub Cadet Low boy and a vintage plow.

Maybe buy the largest walk behind snow blower you can get.
View Quote

Up in the real northeast, you could probably pick up rusty, ugly, but completely functional 3/4 ton truck with a plow. Get double chains (every side link has a crosschain) for the really bad storms. Usually we don't get more than two a year, if that.

I live north of Bangor in Maine, but spend time in Jackson, NH in the winters. Weather patterns and storms are similar, except NH takes far better care of their roads.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:03:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Snow blowing is old school. Build a heated driveway.

https://www.warmup.com/snow-melting/heated-driveway

Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:04:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Get one of those surplus Mig engines mounted on a T-55 chassis.

Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:04:36 PM EDT
[#10]
The most versatile option is going to be a utility tractor with FEL and a PTO driven snowblower on the back. Older models could be found for a good price pre covid but nowadays I don't know.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:07:55 PM EDT
[#11]
https://throwflame.com/flamethrowers/

This looks like it might be fun.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:09:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
We bought a second house in New Hampshire and are going to leave a 2002 Toyota Sequoia there. It has 4wd and a rear locking differential so It should do well I the snow with the right tires.

is this too much driveway for this SUV or should I look at a dedicated tractor of some kind to plow the driveway?

What do you recommend?
View Quote

It's not possible. You must budget at least $100,00/year for snow removal in NH. Figure another $100,000 for mud remediation in the spring, $100,000 for mosquito/black fly/horse fly/deer fly/black widow/rattlesnake/cobra/black mamba/rabid hippo remediation. I can't imagine why anyone would want to live in NH.

Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:12:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:12:55 PM EDT
[#14]
"My vehicle has 4WD" is a very poor plan.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:13:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Throwing your budget out the window. Heated driveway.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:15:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:15:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What do you recommend?
View Quote

Just contract with someone to do plow for a year or two until you can get a feel for what you really need.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:16:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

A tractor with a loader n back blade. Or a loader mounted plow. Although I like the bucket and back blade combo because you can move and pile it.

Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:17:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Throwing your budget out the window. Heated driveway.
View Quote

Yes, but cry once, buy once.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:20:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Used ATV with used snowblower attachment.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:25:43 PM EDT
[#21]
In this heat shoveling snow would suck.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:25:55 PM EDT
[#22]
MICLIC?

Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:27:54 PM EDT
[#23]
My driveway's about the same length and I use a Kubota B2650 with heated cab, blower on the back and FEL on the front.  You could up your budget a bit and take advantage of Kubota's zero interest for 5-6 years and buy a smaller BX model that would hold it's value fairly well.

And for the heated driveways....my buddy just built a house and did that.  He shut it off after the heating bill was $2,500 a month...
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:28:35 PM EDT
[#24]
I’ll sell you a Gravely 20G Professional with a 60” snowblower. Used to use it on my 730 foot drive way but upgraded to a Compact tractor with FEL.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:55:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Idk I'm in northern NH, and I just drive over it when I leave for work at 5...then when I'm home at night snow blow.

Something that long I would say ATV with a plow or a small tractor.

If you have the space for another vehicle that kind of money would buy a road legal 3/4 ton gas job with a plow....just food for thought.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:59:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

What do you recommend?
View Quote

Is the driveway at least flat?
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:02:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Quoted:
If we get a crazy multi foot storm it won't matter what kind of tires you have. Get yourself a plow guy to come and clear it or get a tractor if you have the dough. My driveway is 210 feet and I use an ATV with a plow or a big snowblower depending on the kind of snow that needs clearing .
View Quote

Quoted:

Up in the real northeast, you could probably pick up rusty, ugly, but completely functional 3/4 ton truck with a plow. Get double chains (every side link has a crosschain) for the really bad storms. Usually we don't get more than two a year, if that.

I live north of Bangor in Maine, but spend time in Jackson, NH in the winters. Weather patterns and storms are similar, except NH takes far better care of their roads.
View Quote
THESE are your top options.
And if you've EVER voted for a Democrat, stay the fuck in California!
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:04:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Just contract with someone to do plow for a year or two until you can get a feel for what you really need.
View Quote

This.
Unless you plan on living there, you may come to stay with 4+ feet already frozen hard on the ground, with 8' packed snow at the end of the driveway.
Nothing cheap is going to move it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:05:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Don't stay in NH during the winter.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:06:46 PM EDT
[#30]

That looks like a great idea, except for the part about needing 75KW to run it for OP's 150 ft driveway.  If the power stays on during the snowstorm, it sure would be easy.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:07:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you recommend?

This ^^^ is actually the best approach.

150 yards is a looooooong driveway.  The first things I considered when buying a house in NH were:

1) Length of driveway

2) Steepness of driveway

Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:10:10 PM EDT
[#32]
I use a small tractor with loader and blade on a longer driveway, but we don’t get NH levels of snow.  $10k is not going to go very far for a reliable tractor and a blower to mount on it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:10:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

My wife and I are most likely moving to the Jackson area, or within maybe a 40 mile radius. Would you mind if I DM’d you some questions at some point about living in the area?
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:11:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

That’s really sensible. I say he does the mig engine flame thrower thing.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:14:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Don't stay in NH during the winter.
View Quote

Its one of the two best seasons there.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:16:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

My wife and I are most likely moving to the Jackson area, or within maybe a 40 mile radius. Would you mind if I DM’d you some questions at some point about living in the area?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@dbrad197

Feel free!
We don't live there, but we've spent 2-4 weeks a year there for about 10 years now. I can probably give you at least some useful info.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:18:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Plow guy with an old Ariens snowblower as a backup.

Get a feel for what your property needs over the next 3 seasons to decide if a tractor or ATV would be more versatile overall when you factor in yardwork.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:18:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This.
Unless you plan on living there, you may come to stay with 4+ feet already frozen hard on the ground, with 8' packed snow at the end of the driveway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Yep. The snowbank at the end of the driveway will be the bigger concern, especially if it gets wet and then freezes. Pay someone else to keep it clear if you’re not going to be there to maintain it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:22:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Mine is 1/4 mile, with a steep hill. We don’t usually get the heavy wet stuff like in the NE, side by side with a plow attachment gets the job done, albeit slowly.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:25:28 PM EDT
[#40]
snowblower on tractor.

My driveway is three time longer than yours and its the best way
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:25:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Tractor with FEL and a blade on the back. Use the blade to move the snow, and the FEL to clear the ends, and push back/move piles if you need to.

Kubota usually has the 0interest 5 year pmt thing. Might be worth spending the $ and getting something new and reliable. Getting snowed in with no way to clear it makes for some really screwed up days.
View Quote

Quoted:
The most versatile option is going to be a utility tractor with FEL and a PTO driven snowblower on the back. Older models could be found for a good price pre covid but nowadays I don't know.
View Quote
No, no, no.   Maybe these people do it, but you DO NOT want to be blowing or pushing show in reverse from the back, unless you want a sore neck.   A tractor with FEL will do it great, but you're going to spend at least $20k even for a small one.   For snowblowing, you want a mid-PTO and blow going forward.   The nice thing about a snowblower is it doesn't care how deep the snow is.   With plowing, in a really big storm, you have to do it repeatedly to stay ahead of it, or you won't be able to move it.   With plowing, you also have to allow for more storms coming along, so you have to push that shit way the hell back.   With a snowblower on the front, I wait until the storm is over, then I go do it just once.  We had one storm where we got 45", and I still did it once, albeit very slowly.  And you only have to blow what you want cleared; no pushback needed, no "walls closing in on you" when you get storm after storm.
We had one storm last year where the snowblower was down, so I just used the large tractor with FEL and used the bucket as the plow.   Worked fine.    When bucket gets too full, just pick it up and dump it.

BLASTING THROUGH 45" STORM ON 1/4 MILE DRIVEWAY, 60" BLOWER:

Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:28:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Is the driveway at least flat?
View Quote

Thanks for the help folks,

Yes it is flat and lots of room for surplus snow.

So the Sequoia isn't a viable option? This year I think paying for the removal is best.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:29:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

THESE are your top options.
And if you've EVER voted for a Democrat, stay the fuck in California!
View Quote

Never ever. Tired of my taxes paying for bullshit I don't believe in.

Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:32:31 PM EDT
[#44]
I’m in central NH. I have been fighting my 500’ driveway for 10 years. I started with a Polaris Sportsman and struggled with it too. Next was a Honda tracked blower…great machine but 3 hours to clear gets old when in your 70’s. I had a Kubota BX25D already and used it to push back the windrows from plowing because as you plow. you create a narrower driveway each time. 2 years ago, I bit the bullet and got a Kubota Hd 5455, 55” wide belt less (gear driven) snowblower for the tractor for  $6k but now I laugh at the snow as I ride in comfort in my tractor seat.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:33:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yep. The snowbank at the end of the driveway will be the bigger concern, especially if it gets wet and then freezes. Pay someone else to keep it clear if you're not going to be there to maintain it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Yep. The snowbank at the end of the driveway will be the bigger concern, especially if it gets wet and then freezes. Pay someone else to keep it clear if you're not going to be there to maintain it.
Yep on these for sure!
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:42:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm in central NH. I have been fighting my 500' driveway for 10 years. I started with a Polaris Sportsman and struggled with it too. Next was a Honda tracked blower great machine but 3 hours to clear gets old when in your 70's. I had a Kubota BX25D already and used it to push back the windrows from plowing because as you plow. you create a narrower driveway each time. 2 years ago, I bit the bullet and got a Kubota Hd 5455, 55" wide belt less (gear driven) snowblower for the tractor for  $6k but now I laugh at the snow as I ride in comfort in my tractor seat.
View Quote
Yep, my experience, too, except I started with old 3/4 ton trucks, usually with about a 1500 pound block of concrete in the back, and reinforced chains on all 4 corners.   After the last one died about 12 years ago, we went to a front-mounted snowblower.  Never regretted that!  Much better experience!
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:54:14 PM EDT
[#47]
I have a ride on mower that trades iut a snow blower attachment with the mower deck in the winter.

Pretty good on straight runs, pain in the ass for turning for clearing the top of the drive. When it breaks its like 600lb of deadweight blocking the drive.

Waiting for it to die so I can buy somthing better.

I'd recomend against that choice. Get a full tractor or suck up a good hand blower.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:55:26 PM EDT
[#48]
I found a picture of ours from this last winter.   You don't need a big tractor; this 25 HP class does a great job, and has for about 12 years.   You don't want too big of a tractor for this. One just big enough to run the blower is actually more nimble and will get into tighter places.   Oddly, once you reach a certain size, about 50HP, they don't come with mid PTO any more.
Another thing is that, with a blower on front, it's pretty much impossible to get stuck.   If you're going through a lot of snow and it starts riding up on the snow & starts spinning (especially if it's wet), just back up and blow the stuff out of the way.

Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:59:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Push broom. CT doesn't even get any snow. All they get are those "Its Raining Men" storms. Fuck if I know how to handle that.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 12:00:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is the way.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top