Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/15/2019 2:26:03 PM EDT
How can they justify a 22% increase in monthly charges while not improving service in any demonstrable way?

This shit pisses me off so much, now I want to hear how you watch college/nfl football, because that's all I actually watch.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 2:27:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Goddamn that shit is $45 a month?!

Hulu Live TV is a live TV streaming service with more than 55 channels for $45/month. This plan includes local channels, 26 of the top 35 cable channels, and regional sports networks (RSNs). Upgrades are available for premium channels, unlimited screens, and commercial-free access to Hulu's on demand library.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 2:29:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Verizon Navigation in a world of Google Maps...
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 2:29:52 PM EDT
[#3]
That is insane. Wonder if Google/YouTube will raise their prices too.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 2:30:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Just like the come on's from cable, fiber and satellite providers.  They reel you in with discounted rates and then bump them up after the first year or trial period is over...
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 2:30:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Because PS Vue is going away?
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 2:32:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Att Now app just sent notice my monthly bill is going up $10.  No new channels.  Just higher bill.  Fuckers.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 2:34:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Just saw that email too.

Maybe YoutubeTV isn't looking so bad.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 2:35:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Att Now app just sent notice my monthly bill is going up $10.  No new channels.  Just higher bill.  Fuckers.
View Quote
Was going to bring this up... The last time my bill went up they took shit away and increased prices.

And now a $10 increase next week for me.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#9]
pretty soon we will go full circle and cable will be cheaper than the streaming services, with my bundle I pay about that much for cable
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 2:39:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just like the come on's from cable, fiber and satellite providers.  They reel you in with discounted rates and then bump them up after the first year or trial period is over...
View Quote
This.

When you guys cut the cable chord, all you did was replace it with Cable 2.0
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 2:39:55 PM EDT
[#11]
yep, $50 to $60 for me.  bastards.  time to start just reading books I guess
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 2:42:23 PM EDT
[#12]
With all these streaming services breaking apart into smaller packages and upping their rates cable is starting to look like a viable option again for many people. I know people with 5 or 6 different streaming services. Then chicks subscribe to shit like Ipsy and other pointless monthly garbage. Before you know it you're paying well over $100 a month in subscriptions.

The new way to sucker the average American out of there money. Subscriptions.

$5 here...$45 there...$5 here...$12 there...$7 here....
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 2:50:26 PM EDT
[#13]
We went into Hulu live at $53 a month with no ads when we dropped Directv. So far it's a good decision and no regerts. Directv pissed me off and I do not want to go back lol, but yes it's all cable one way or the other. Sports are the only reason we are paying for the live portion.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 2:54:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Because PS Vue is going away?
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 2:54:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That is insane. Wonder if Google/YouTube will raise their prices too.
View Quote
If they do, I'm out. They have already raised it from $35 to $50 since I signed up. They did add more channels though to justify the increase - channels I don't watch, of course.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 2:55:42 PM EDT
[#16]
The whole thing is dumb because it’s all just goddamn cable. “No, it’s streaming.” It’s a goddamncollection of channels you are buying from a service provider. Just because it’s pronounced Hoo-Loo instead of Com-Cast means jack fucking nothing and it’s all going to balance out in the end.

Rant over.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 2:58:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I want to hear how you watch college/nfl football, because that's all I actually watch.
View Quote
I don't watch NFL so I either use my antenna or go to a bar to watch the few college football games I watch each year.

I've actually gone to more games this year, than I've watched on TV.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 2:59:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Right now Hulu (ad supported, non live) with Disney+ and ESPN+ is on a bundled special for $13 a month.  ESPN+ isn't the end all be all that it claims to be, but I do get at least 2-3 college games on Saturday and I don't watch NFL.  CBS all access gives you live TV option for $5 a month which would get you some NFL games.  So, for $18 a month, you could get a ton of programming (again, realize, not live) for a pretty low cost.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:00:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:01:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I didn't realize it was that much to begin with. It's like a $15 service to me.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:01:30 PM EDT
[#21]
In a perfect world each channel would have an android app and a roku app and you'd pick and choose which channels to buy.

The problem is that individual channels want $5-$10 just for their app. So you get 10 to 20 channels and now you are at $100 a month and might as well pay for cable.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:02:11 PM EDT
[#22]
There's no way I'm getting $45 of value a month for that service, much less $55.  I'd never pay more than a few bucks for an add-on, and it had better come with something substantial to make even that much worthwhile.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:02:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
In a perfect world each channel would have an android app and a roku app and you'd pick and choose which channels to buy.

The problem is that individual channels want $5-$10 just for their app. So you get 10 to 20 channels and now you are at $100 a month and might as well pay for cable.
View Quote
This is what I have been thinking about lately. I have so many of these apps I might as well just go back to the cable.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:03:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Holy shit why not just get cable?
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:04:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Kick TV streaming off the net. Waste of bandwidth. It's all garbage anyway.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:07:12 PM EDT
[#26]
I feel you OP.  We cut the cable cord YEARS ago and just had netflix and prime.  We go on and off with hulu. Mostly because there are some shows we like on there but when hulu has nothing, it's worse than netflix.  So we usually get a 3 month subscription to hulu then when it's over wait another 3 months.  Atleast this way when we renew, there usually enough "new to us" shows that by the time that 3 months is over, we r done watching what we wanted.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:07:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Probably the rising cost of content.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:08:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This.

View Quote
Not all of us, I didn't get any streaming services.

I thought Hulu was free or $10, some cheap bastard would always tell about stuff he saw on Hulu, he sure as hell wasn't paying anything over $10.

I am glad Amazon got going on it, that's a nice bonus.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:09:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Isnt HULU owned by comcast?
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:09:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Holy shit why not just get cable?
View Quote
No cable out in the sticks where we live, so dish/directv or this internet hulu/roku game.

Edit: Hulu said we are going from $51 a month to $61 a month
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:11:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Got to pay for the channels/networks that no one watches.  If you don’t care about sports there are “other ways” to get your entertainment, I’d tell you but I believe it’s a coc violation to mention it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The whole thing is dumb because it’s all just goddamn cable. “No, it’s streaming.” It’s a goddamncollection of channels you are buying from a service provider. Just because it’s pronounced Hoo-Loo instead of Com-Cast means jack fucking nothing and it’s all going to balance out in the end.

Rant over.
View Quote
Yeah, no.
Cable companies create monopolies of service in areas.  Streaming online can be viewed by anyone with the account, regardless of where you live.

Example A: where i live, Cox has a monopoly so it's either Cox or ATT for internet.  Now, I'm not a retarded moron so obviously I'm not going to pick ATT so I have to choose Cox.  Literally 1 mile north of where I live, a rural telecom is installing fiber for hundreds of square miles for only $70/mo for gigabit internet over fiber.  My Cox 300mb plan went up to $119/mo recently before I called to cancel and they backed down saying, okay okay, $79/mo.  But I can't get in on the telecom deal because of Cox and agreements because of them.  Fuck cable companies.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:11:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I thought Hulu was free or $10, some cheap bastard would alway tell about stuff he saw on Hulu he sure as hell wasn't paying anything over $10.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

I thought Hulu was free or $10, some cheap bastard would alway tell about stuff he saw on Hulu he sure as hell wasn't paying anything over $10.
When I first signed up for it, it was free, but you had to watch commercials.  Now you have to pay even with the plan that includes commercials.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:13:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I thought Hulu was free or $10, some cheap bastard would always tell about stuff he saw on Hulu, he sure as hell wasn't paying anything over $10.

I am glad Amazon got going on it, that's a nice bonus.
View Quote
This is Hulu live, the cable variant. Streams channels live. Not just shows and movies on demand like Netflix.  It's an extra service from Hulu, normal on demand hulu still exists.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:14:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Dang, you can get basic cable for that much $
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:14:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

No cable out in the sticks where we live, so dish/directv or this internet hulu/roku game.
View Quote
Ah yes, very good trade off in my opinion. For my place in BFE I'll just stick with Amazon Prime, that's been enough for me so far.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:15:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Isn't a big part of the business model to be that they're not regular TV and so much cheaper than cable?  If it were $5/mo I'd think about it.  At $45/mo it's already a hard-no for me.  At $55/mo - that's just funny.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:18:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
How can they justify a 22% increase in monthly charges while not improving service in any demonstrable way?

This shit pisses me off so much, now I want to hear how you watch college/nfl football, because that's all I actually watch.
View Quote
$5 a month for a VPN
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:19:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Got to pay for the channels/networks that no one watches.  If you don’t care about sports there are “other ways” to get your entertainment, I’d tell you but I believe it’s a coc violation to mention it.
View Quote
Pretty much. I say let them die.

Disney
Nick Jr
Bravo
Lifetime
Hallmark
E!
MTV
History
Discovery
National Geographic
Local channels.

99% of the TV watched in my home (when we had cable) is from this small group of channels.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:20:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This is Hulu live, the cable variant. Streams channels live. Not just shows and movies on demand like Netflix.  It's an extra service from Hulu, normal on demand hulu still exists.
View Quote
I see, does it have as many channels of infomercials as cable though lol.

That's why I got rid of cable years ago, why am I paying for 30 channels of fucking infomercials?
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:23:44 PM EDT
[#41]
I have YouTubetv $49.99 a month, has all you channels you would want
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:23:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Netflix does that all the time.  Granted a few things have been improved here and there but most of their organic shows and movies suck ass.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:26:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I have YouTubetv $49.99 a month, has all you channels you would want
View Quote
It also has ads even in the non-live content (ie on-demand) which pissed me the fuck off so I cancelled the trial after 2 days

Now I roll with:
Netflix and Amazon
PlayOn
Emby or Plex
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:27:19 PM EDT
[#44]
You are getting less channels for less money. That's the trade off by going from cable to streaming along with not being able to view every channel live.

If you like watching old movies or re-runs I guess it's better for you.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:28:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Goddamn that shit is $45 a month?!
View Quote
Thats what Im saying.

Fuck that shit
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:28:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Cuz free market and supply and demand. Freedom is scary.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:35:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

I cut the cable.  I have my internet feed, broadcast connected to a Silicon Dust tuner, and my Plex server which is connected to the tuner.   There's nothing on TV I need to watch immediately, and if there is something I  want to watch I can find it online.   There are way too many streaming services at this point and it's only going to get worse.  I'm not going to pay for any of them.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:44:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Didn't read the whole thread but did I make it in before the corporate cock gobbling company men scream "their business their rules if you don't like it start your own streaming company"??

The same shit that happened with cable TV and ce phone data plans will happen with streaming and with internet access. Shouldn't surprise anyone.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:45:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
And you still get to watch commercials! Yay.

I cancelled Hulu a few years back for that shit.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:48:11 PM EDT
[#50]
On top of the monthly charge, do they hit you with fees and tax?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top