User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 12:22:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like watching them fight over the feeders.  3 feeders yet they still fight like little fighter Jets over them.
View Quote

Little bastards are jousting like knights of old. I've seen em lance each other to death. Haven't seen many this year though besides the one that always comes back.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 12:30:41 AM EDT
[#2]
PBS premiered a great doc this week on hummingbirds in Costa Rica.

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/about-hummingbird-effect/28638/
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 12:32:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Hummingbirds are awesome. End thread.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 8:06:21 AM EDT
[#4]
If you are going to put up a second feeder, try to put it in a spot so that there is no place that a bird can sit and see both feeders at the same time. This prevents one bird from controlling access to both feeders.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 8:55:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Watching them with some coffee this morning, always enjoyable
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:09:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been feeding mine for years. Even had a mating pair of Rufous come back, and they normally won't nest here.

I've got 6 feeders, and so many birds that they empty 2 of my 1/2 quart feeders in 2 days.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:22:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you are going to put up a second feeder, try to put it in a spot so that there is no place that a bird can sit and see both feeders at the same time. This prevents one bird from controlling access to both feeders.
View Quote

We only have one feeder and one little twerp has assumed control of it.  She perches on a nearby elephant ear leaf and won't let any other hummers eat.  Think we're going to place another feeder in the front of the house.  Fun little guys.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

We only have one feeder and one little twerp has assumed control of it.  She perches on a nearby elephant ear leaf and won't let any other hummers eat.  Think we're going to place another feeder in the front of the house.  Fun little guys.
View Quote

Yeah, that's what they do. I have some of that going on with my feeder, but then the sentinel goes off duty or something and others get a chance.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 2:53:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I like them, particularly since they put the girlfriend in a much better mood if she sees one.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 3:04:28 PM EDT
[#10]
My kid got me a feeder 3 yrs ago and I was not excited about it at first. The next year, got me another feeder as there were 1-2 birds that would come and fight.  Now we have 5-6 consistently and they fight and fly around and I love to sit on back porch and watch. Couple of times they’ve almost hit me chasing each other.

I can tell I’m getting old. I like watching the Raccoon Saloon that someone on here suggested and also watch a park service live stream of bears in Alaska fishing. I’d rather watch all that than anything else on TV.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 3:27:35 PM EDT
[#11]
The Rufus is the tiger of the skies.

Multi role VSTOL gen 1 fighter attack platform beyond its time.

Outperforming every other bird in every category the Rufus has truly achieved aerial superiority in every role.

Some say it was developed by Northrop - Darwin,  Lockheed Martin,  Raytheon, Hughes Bell Textron, SkunkTwerks and many other influencers in a secretive CoOp.

With a radar signature smaller than a honey bee and a thrust to weight ratio that blows fucking minds….  This aggressive, fly-by-realtime natural synaptic hemispheric combat awareness   airframe delivers in its promise of true , complete, Domination.

The Rufus,  your opposition will sufuR.

Stop by booth 667 to schedule a hangar visit.

Link Posted: 8/19/2023 3:30:44 PM EDT
[#12]
For people with Amazon Prime, there is a great hummingbird video made in 2015 or 2017 and narrated by David Attenborough. Very good footage.
https://www.amazon.com/Hummingbirds-Paul-Reddish/dp/B0754NWHTF
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 8:02:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My in-laws have a couple feeders at their cottage on the lake.  Occasionally the birds will come up and feed but it's the same thing, if you move at all they fly off immediately.

I'm guessing the guys that get the cool pictures either have a really long lens or the birds have seen enough humans that it doesn't bother them.
View Quote

It’s a long lens thing.

Besides, they’re Terminators. They’ll be back
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 8:04:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've been feeding mine for years. Even had a mating pair of Rufous come back, and they normally won't nest here.

I've got 6 feeders, and so many birds that they empty 2 of my 1/2 quart feeders in 2 days.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/180161/20180530_064855_jpg-2924757.JPG
View Quote

They’re emptying our 3 feeders daily.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 8:35:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/180161/20180530_064855_jpg-2924757.JPG

WOW!  You’re feeding a small population of humming birds.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 8:19:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

WOW!  You’re feeding a small population of humming birds.
View Quote

It’s about 25 birds, best as we can count. They don’t hold still long enough to be really accurate.

In about a month that may double as the migration starts.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top