Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/34777/image-262211.JPG

Browning M2A1, .50 BMG, Raufoss Mk 211
View Quote

Left to right or right to left?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:22:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Lotta lung and liver shots posted......you're gonna be tracking blood trails for a while, hope you find it.

Elbow raised to the chest = heart shot area.  Less walking.

Make your headshots count....the brainpan ain't that big and the sinus cavities are bigger. you miss, he's running off recuperating from a bad headache.

that's your anatomy lesson for the day.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:40:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/76629/datfarshoulder-262103.JPG

.30-06 shooting 165 gr Fed Fusions. I'm going for the lungs and that far shoulder. 
View Quote
This is the best example yet. Why?  You need to move the point of aim rearward to account for the angle of the animal in relation to your arrow or bullets flight path to maximize the damage done to the vital organs.

Most have put the pin or crosshair right behind the shoulder. The deer is quartering away. The exit in that instance is in front of the opposite shoulder. With a bow you clip one lung at best.  Even with a complete pass through you could end up losing the deer.

With a rifle it's less critical as a bullet kills by a different method. The damage done to the upper chest would certainly be lethal but I would bet that deer would run a good ways before falling over.

This quoted example is what your are looking for.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:54:58 AM EDT
[#4]

I don't own a Mini-14, just threw it in for good measure.

My only decent deer rifle on the Left Coast is an M1917 chambered in 30-338 Win Mag. It's basically a laser beam inside 250 yds.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:59:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 1:16:59 AM EDT
[#6]
The only rifle I have suitable for hunting deer, at least around here, is my 91/30 PU Sniper. I got pretty lucky with mine, and it has a very accurate BDC out to 500M that I've tested it to. I'd set it right just past the 2 mark and aim here. Bear in mind, I've never hunted anything.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 1:33:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I wish I could see the invisible deer some of you are seeing.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 1:45:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This is the best example yet. Why?  You need to move the point of aim rearward to account for the angle of the animal in relation to your arrow or bullets flight path to maximize the damage done to the vital organs.

Most have put the pin or crosshair right behind the shoulder. The deer is quartering away. The exit in that instance is in front of the opposite shoulder. With a bow you clip one lung at best.  Even with a complete pass through you could end up losing the deer.

With a rifle it's less critical as a bullet kills by a different method. The damage done to the upper chest would certainly be lethal but I would bet that deer would run a good ways before falling over.

This quoted example is what your are looking for.
View Quote
I agree with most of this post, seems to me a lot of the aimpoints people are posting would be better for broadside shots.  

Im not sure bullets kill by a different method though. I took a quartering shot on a calm deer almost exactly like this photo once, from 140yards sitting over a backpack rest, with a 165gr Nosler accubond at 2715 fps from a 308win. He went down hard, then immediately popped up and ran like a scalded ape a little over a hundred yards into a thicket. I was disgusted that I could have screwed up such an easy chip shot, and after waiting about 15min I walked to the point of impact expecting a long morning of trailing.

There was blood and bone at the impact. Following the trail and found the buck piled up about 15-20 yards into the thicket. He had a baseball sized exit on the offside shoulder that completely obliterated the shoulder and upper leg. When I unzipped him and split the ribcage the first thing I saw was I was that I was looking into his empty, upside down heart which was missing the entire upper half. No aorta, no pulmunary arteries or veins, the heart was disintigrated in a tub of blood and both lower lungs were gone as well.

This and a few other similar experiences, taught me that hydrostatic shock doesnt matter. This deer ran at least 120 yards full tilt on three legs until his brain function ceased due to lack of O2  because his blood pressure went to zero. Just like a bowkill. Bullets have the potential to create more bleeding in some cases, but I think the method of kill is the same. Or maybe he was a special forces buck.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:06:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What the heck are you feeding them?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is a good management buck to shoot.  It is an older buck from what I can tell, forget age this is a 3 year old.  Died as a 3 year old of lead poisoning.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/340403/IMG-1777-262244.JPG
Good genetics and Record Rack made by Cargill.  18 tons every two weeks on the ranch I manage.  We have taken a 260 that won biggest mass at the Muy Grande in 2016.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:08:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is a good management buck to shoot.  It is an older buck from what I can tell, forget age this is a 3 year old.  Died as a 3 year old of lead poisoning.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/340403/IMG-1777-262244.JPG
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:09:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:35:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
And many here will berate you for "not making a clean/humane kill."  Most here have never killed anything, nor seen anything die.  They think animals die like in the movies--just flop down and don't move.  

Your result is typical whenever there isn't a central nervous system hit.  Oh, and a CNS hit is mostly not desirable, due to the small size, and tendency to move suddenly and unpredictably.  Those saying they would take a head shot at 200 yards . . . shouldn't.
View Quote
I agree. I have had a few deer bang flop before, with less damage than the buck I described, so Im not sure the difference. If there was ever a candudate that should have exhibited hydrostatic shock it was him, and he didnt.

I wont tell anyone they shouldn't take head shots, but they are more risky than some think imho. I have never lost a deer in years of hunting, because I am selective on shots and practice long range. Ive taken deer cleanly at 415 lasered yards that didnt even take a step. With the right prep, that shot can be higher percentage than the pickup a rifle once a year .30-30 shooter at 40 yards. Its all about judgment and due diligence.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:48:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Overlay position about right?

Link Posted: 7/25/2017 5:37:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Is that a 12 foot fence in the background?

Fair chase only.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 7:13:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Attachment Attached File

7mm remington magnum. zeroed at 25 yds.  at 237 should put it in the good spot without hitting either leg.

I get the whole might only nail one lung thing but deer arent very big and i only get to kill one in arizona. Im not going to ruin a whole shoulder.  7mm remmag will put that fucker down. if he runs 50 yards somehow ill find his dumbass.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 1:09:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/cBljfrH.jpg

Don't feel like chasing him through the brush.

270 win sighted at 200yds  
View Quote
I'd shoot a few inches to the left for a spine breaking shot.  They drop like a sack of rocks.

.308 sighted at 100 yards.

Neck shot effectiveness
Deer Hunting: 5 Bucks...5 Neck Shots
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 1:30:14 PM EDT
[#17]
237 yards, I'm letting it pass.  I shouldn't even be able to see it through my front sight post.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 1:33:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Hello Arty?  Fire for effect!
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 1:55:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
And many here will berate you for "not making a clean/humane kill."  Most here have never killed anything, nor seen anything die.  They think animals die like in the movies--just flop down and don't move.  

Your result is typical whenever there isn't a central nervous system hit.  Oh, and a CNS hit is mostly not desirable, due to the small size, and tendency to move suddenly and unpredictably.  Those saying they would take a head shot at 200 yards . . . shouldn't.
View Quote
A deer at full tilt can cover a couple hundred yards in a few seconds.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:50:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Attachment Attached File

Now do you see it?  Zoom in if you have to.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:58:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Nope. You have outline nothing.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 1:04:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
So you're telling me that's not fur below the buck?

Bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 1:15:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bullshit.
Blurry limbs/leaves.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 10:08:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Blurry limbs/leaves.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bullshit.
Blurry limbs/leaves.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 10:20:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Most of you guys have the general idea and I'm with you with a rifle. As I hunt with traditional gear during archery season I'm passing the 32 yd. bow shot.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 10:22:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Never shot a deer, never hunted.

This is what I think from just hearing other people talk about it.

Correct me. I swagged that as he is angled away (I assume that's what 'quarter away' means), the shot placement might be moved back a little.

ETA: Ok screw that. No monthly subscription.
I put the shot 2-3 inches back from the crease between his leg and his body and just a little low of center of the body.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 10:26:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Double tap
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 10:29:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Double tap
View Quote
If the double tap is necessary, your first shot was no good.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 10:38:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/cBljfrH.jpg

Don't feel like chasing him through the brush.

270 win sighted at 200yds
View Quote
This...Only 25-.06 Rem 700
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If the double tap is necessary, your first shot was no good.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 10:42:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/76629/datfarshoulder-262103.JPG

.30-06 shooting 165 gr Fed Fusions. I'm going for the lungs and that far shoulder. 
View Quote
I'd be a little closer to the shoulder than this, 130gr Federal Fusions from my .270 sighted in 2.5" high at 100yds because I subscribe to MPBR sighting for hunting.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 10:52:53 AM EDT
[#32]
7mm mag.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 10:55:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
237 yards away?

I wouldn't shoot.
View Quote
Same^
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 11:09:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
One inch down and one inch left of that eye.

338 lapua, 300 grain Berger elite hunter at 2850 fps

Zeroed at 200 yards.

Eta

http://i.imgur.com/qqs7i1P.jpg
View Quote
I like your style.

Course, there ain't gonna be much left to mount on the wall.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 11:15:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Mine was about there, just a LRCH lower.

But again, (cue dog on bucket loader) I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm only guessing from listening to other people.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 11:21:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Directly below ear and right on outside edge of throat patch that will provide about 2MOA.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top