Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:42:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I spent pretty good money down on a ranch in Texas to hunt a giraffe. Saved up for it all year long it was pretty excited about going with friends of mine. We are having a good time hanging out and enjoying being in the outdoors.

In the evening a friend suggested we get some hookers and alcohol to cap off the night. We had a great time until one of the holier than thou guides wake us up in the morning yelling at the top of his lungs about Democrats and such... then started complaining about the hookers and his family being on the ranch

We still had a good time, but I'll be damned if I give that guide a tip!

@Pirkle
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:59:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I spent pretty good money down on a ranch in Texas to hunt a giraffe. Saved up for it all year long it was pretty excited about going with friends of mine. We are having a good time hanging out and enjoying being in the outdoors.

In the evening a friend suggested we get some hookers and alcohol to cap off the night. We had a great time until one of the holier than thou guides wake us up in the morning yelling at the top of his lungs about Democrats and such... then started complaining about the hookers and his family being on the ranch

View Quote
Give him your meat stick to chew on instead. He'll probably appreciate it more than a tip, and you save on the hookers. Win win
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:01:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been on one guided trip (high fence hog hunt) and wanted to hate it but everyone was absolutely amazing. Had a great experience. The guides went above and beyond to make it a good experience for us.

Really enjoying the stories though!
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:02:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
All of them, see you tomorrow.

All of them are wealthy Mexican Nationals on Visas and legally live here.  I still don't like their mentality of entitlement and assholery.  You wasted my weekend where I could have had good clients, instead you want to get your willy wet by a NM 3 and sleep through hunts.
View Quote
Could you provide a picture of a NM 3?
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:03:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Give him your meat stick to chew on instead. He'll probably appreciate it more than a tip, and you save on the hookers. Win win
View Quote
I would have given him a meat stick, but I gave it to this friendly dog that was out by the stand. Not too long after that the same  guide shot the dog!
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 5:11:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

@Pirkle
View Quote
Oh man, that guide went and messed up horribly.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 5:13:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of them are wealthy Mexican Nationals on Visas and legally live here.  I still don't like their mentality of entitlement and assholery.  You wasted my weekend where I could have had good clients, instead you want to get your willy wet by a NM 3 and sleep through hunts.
Picture Jabba the Hut.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 5:22:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Drove 6+ hours up from Texas to Ada, OK for a trophy whitetail hunt. Met the guide, had dinner and planned out the next three days. Went back to the hotel at a decent hour to rest up for an early start the next day. Next morning, 5 AM, guide is no where to be found. Call his cell, pound on his hotel door until 8 AM to no avail. Call his boss asking WTF, pack up and go home.

Dude went back out after calling it a night, got shitfaced/drugged up and was too afraid to answer the door.
View Quote
LOL whats the guides name? I live in Ada...
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 5:31:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Had a friend try to get me to join a duck lease in TX. $1200/yr for duck hunting, another $300 to shoot coyotes for the year (haha...no thanks), and $150/hog. Got to talking to the owner and he was complaining about how the hogs were tearing up his fields something aweful that year. Was begging me to come shoot some. I mistook this as an offer to come see the property and shoot some hogs to help him out. He must have picked up on my confusion and said he would cut me a deal at $100/pig.

Told the old cooter he was nuts and to enjoy his hog problem....didn’t sign on the duck lease either. Greedy fuck wants his pig money then I hope he is prepared to lose his fields. I’m not driving 6 hours and pay him to take care of his own rodent problem. Fuck most TX ranchers. They made their bed and now they can lie in it. Viva la Piggy.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 6:33:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Oh man, that guide went and messed up horribly.
View Quote
That's okay, he was actually a pretty cool guy
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 6:44:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I've hired charter boats in Orange Beach, AL several times - always inshore to go after red fish.  Always had a good time and even when the fish weren't cooperating managed to get a couple.

A couple years ago we (myself, wife, and 2 young boys) plan another Orange Beach trip but this time my in-laws (wife's parents), sister-in law & her husband, and sister-in-law's husband's parents are all going.  Everyone is getting their own condo so everything is good.  I mention to everyone that I'm going to hire a charter boat and if anyone else wants to go to let me know.  Several people chim in that they want to go so I call a couple charter captains to see if anyone can accommodate 6 people (most inshore boats are 4 people of less).  I get a couple price quotes for 4-hour and 8-hour trips.  Nope - too expensive for my SIL husband's dad (he's a lawyer that is not hurting for money).  Lawyer decides he will find a boat for us and books us a 6-hour trip for $60 per person .  Meet everyone that is going fishing - myself, both my wife's parents, SIl and her husband, SIL's husband's dad (who booked the charter) - early morning in the parking lot.  I have a soft side cooler filled with ice, bottled water, couple of cans of beer as well has sun screen, a hat, pliers, etc... No one else has anything - no water, no sunscreen, nothing.

We get to the marina and find out we are booked on a cattle car fishing boat.  About 35 people on this thing.  Everyone else is scrambling to buy water, beer, etc at the marina and loading their crap in cheap styrofoam coolers.  Takes about an 1 hour to get to the first fishing location a few miles off-shore and a few red snapper are landed.  I start to notice that SIL's husband and his dad are turning green.  Ask if they are ok and was told they both get sea sick but it's ok because they both took some kind of anti-sea sick pills made of ginger root .  I land a couple red snapper and am actually having a decent time talking to my father-in-law when I realize that the water is getting rougher.  I'd checked the weather and knew a storm was supposed to be moving in but no problem I've never been sea sick so I keep fishing.  SIL's husband and his dad (who have had a few beers each) are now green and trying not to blow chunks everywhere so they decide it will be better if they go into the cabin area at the stern near the engine exhaust.  About 5 minutes later here they come running back to the bow where I'm fishing to blow chunks.  I watch as these 2 start puking everything they've eaten a couple days up.  The two geniuses are poking into the wind and wind up wearing a good portion of their own vomit.  By the time the 6 hours was up about half the boat was vomiting or turning green.

I caught a couple nice red snapper and my SIL's husband and his dad swore off charter fishing forever so I don't have to deal with them on future trips.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:27:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This morning I got up at 5am to get ready to go hunt, get breakfast, and coffee going.  I knock on the door to multiple rooms, one stirs.  I turn FOX News on really loud and start back talking all the news stories calling democrats this and that at the top of my lungs.  Then I escalate to going in the rooms and shaking individuals awake.  That was a bold move and I am glad the hookers left at 4am according to the Mexican National hunters we are hosting right now.  I didn't know they brought a bunch of hookers here last night.   One of the other guides said they were NM 3's.  I am not cool with this shit as I live on the ranch with my wife and teenage daughters.  I have a very low opinion of assholes that cheat on their wives.  I do want to get these fucking assholes gone as soon as possible, but they may not get up in the morning and they can not stay after the morning hunt because we have another group coming in.
View Quote
I went on a guided Aoudad ewe hunt in south TX once. Drove hours to get there. The guide started drinking as soon as we got there. Didn't tell me it was the middle of a hurricane. Refused to let me hunt from the ground, instead forced me to ride shot gun in an side by side while he chased exotics we weren't after and he drank beer. We went out to dinner one night and I had to buy his whole family dinner. The chicken wings they tried to feed me were 2 hours on the smoker short of being done.

3 days total in the rain and I still came home empty handed.

Worst canned hunt ever.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:35:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Had a friend try to get me to join a duck lease in TX. $1200/yr for duck hunting, another $300 to shoot coyotes for the year (haha...no thanks), and $150/hog. Got to talking to the owner and he was complaining about how the hogs were tearing up his fields something aweful that year. Was begging me to come shoot some. I mistook this as an offer to come see the property and shoot some hogs to help him out. He must have picked up on my confusion and said he would cut me a deal at $100/pig.

Told the old cooter he was nuts and to enjoy his hog problem....didn’t sign on the duck lease either. Greedy fuck wants his pig money then I hope he is prepared to lose his fields. I’m not driving 6 hours and pay him to take care of his own rodent problem. Fuck most TX ranchers. They made their bed and now they can lie in it. Viva la Piggy.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:55:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Fuck entitled pricks that think they should be allowed free use of shit others pay for!
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:17:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I went on a guided Aoudad ewe hunt in south TX once. Drove hours to get there. The guide started drinking as soon as we got there. Didn't tell me it was the middle of a hurricane. Refused to let me hunt from the ground, instead forced me to ride shot gun in an side by side while he chased exotics we weren't after and he drank beer. We went out to dinner one night and I had to buy his whole family dinner. The chicken wings they tried to feed me were 2 hours on the smoker short of being done.

Worst canned hunt ever.
View Quote
Wow, I hope you left a bad review.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:20:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worst canned hunt ever.
LOL, I probably should.

@Pirkle what to you think?
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:35:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
He did, he did a whole thread about it titled "Worst Canned hunt ever!"https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Worst-Canned-Hunt-Ever-/5-2147766/

He forgot to mention in his post that the "guide" drank all the KD that he brought and even felt bad for the guides wife, because the guide made her drink cheap old man bathtub vodka from a plastic bottle.

We had a good time even though the weather sucked and it was cool to hang out with BIgDAM and m35ben at the ranch.  BIgDAM did manage to kill a toad with my suppressed .22 Colt AR.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:36:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
LOL, I probably should.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worst canned hunt ever.
LOL, I probably should.

Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:37:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
He did, he did a whole thread about it titled "Worst Canned hunt ever!"https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Worst-Canned-Hunt-Ever-/5-2147766/

He forgot to mention in his post that the "guide" drank all the KD that he brought and even felt bad for the guides wife, because the guide made her drink cheap old man bathtub vodka from a plastic bottle.

We had a good time even though the weather sucked and it was cool to hang out with BIgDAM and m35ben at the ranch.  BIgDAM did manage to kill a toad with my suppressed .22 Colt AR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, that sounds horrible. Some guys have all the luck.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:38:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should read the thread, we had a good time, it was all in jest.  The thread and his comments in this thread.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:42:31 PM EDT
[#21]
He must have picked up on my confusion and said he would cut me a deal at $100/pig.
View Quote
That's just crazy money.  Hell, short of shooting them at night through thermals, I wouldn't pay $15/pig.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:43:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Not my experience but something to think about.

A guy at my gun club was required to give presentations about poaching as part of his plea bargain.

He had used a Montana guide for elk 3 years in a row, all inclusive thing that included license and tags. He was contacted by a federal prosecuting attorney because the guide was not actually getting any licenses or tags. He cooperated and included all of his paperwork from the guide.

Bad decision. The fed prosecuted both him and his son under the Lacy act. He spent low 6 figures defending his son and then took a felony plea because he couldn't afford his own defense.

My take away was don't talk to the cops and check to make sure you're legal yourself.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:46:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You should read the thread, we had a good time, it was all in jest.  The thread and his comments in this thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a fast reader.

It sounds fun, other than the boozing. And raw chicken. And 40 miles.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:46:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Fuck entitled pricks that think they should be allowed free use of shit others pay for!
View Quote
Is that you James?  Maybe I struck a nerve. To be clear I’m not entitled to anything on the mans property. He practically started the conversation bitching about the hog population and in the end wanted me to pay to help him solve it. I had no desire to hunt hog...only duck... but after he showed his ass I passed on his offer. Try rereading what I wrote...
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:56:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That's just crazy money.  Hell, short of shooting them at night through thermals, I wouldn't pay $15/pig.
View Quote
His prices were off base and it was obvious. Only 12/20 slots on the duck lease were filled on good hunting ground. I ended driving an hour to NM and shot ducks on BLM land for the cost of a NM license. Damn good hunting....limited out nearly every time too. A friend and fellow member here also came along. Wouldn’t believe the ducks we were finding on stock tanks. Last I heard from the guy who tried to get me to join the lease said the ranch owner lost quite a few feed plots to pigs that year (this was 3 years ago). Geographically his place was a PITA to get to, and not in the typical hog country of the hill country...But one of the closer places to W Texas you can find them more regularly.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:00:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm a fast reader.

View Quote
Holy shit, I had a blast down there. Will do again given the chance.

The KD was his drink of choice but I couldn't get his Mrs. that heaven hill swill he suggested. She got a bottle of dripping springs. I drank to much beer and KD.

The chicken wasn't uncooked just needed more time on the cooker for better flavor.

I actually almost had to fight him to pay for the meal. He was going to pay for it for both me and ben35.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:08:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The KD was his drink of choice but I couldn't get his Mrs. that heaven hill swill he suggested. She got a bottle of dripping springs. I drank to much beer and KD.

The chicken wasn't uncooked just needed more time on the cooker for better flavor.

I actually almost had to fight him to pay for the meal. He was going to pay for it for both me and ben35.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a fast reader.

Y'all were my guests, I still resent you paying for that meal.  I did not intend to have to go to the store, I was hoping to sneak away so Mrs. Grackles could do the grocery shopping while I shit posted here, but alas it did not happen.  She was going to do a brisket or pulled pork, or smoked meat sticks originally.   Time ran out and we didn't make it to the store.

You and m35ben made me laugh my ass off for a week when I saw Scooby and a Minion at the gate, and I got no ass.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:14:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Y'all were my guests, I still resent you paying for that meal.  I did not intend to have to go to the store, I was hoping to sneak away so Mrs. Grackles could do the grocery shopping while I shit posted here, but alas it did not happen.  She was going to do a brisket or pulled pork, or smoked meat sticks originally.   Time ran out and we didn't make it to the store.

You and m35ben made me laugh my ass off for a week when I saw Scooby and a Minion at the gate, and I got no ass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a fast reader.

You were a gracious host and I had to do something for yall. the meal was the easiest thing.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:21:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Listen to the Hook Shots podcast about fishing in remote Russia.  Is an epic tail of being “guided” in the middle of the nowhere by drunk crazy Russians.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:41:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What are yours?

Saskatchewan whitetail hunt:
Well renowned outfitter that a friend had been to a few times.  Get picked up at the SK airport in a large van.  So over packed complete strangers were damn near sitting on each others laps for a couple hours drive.  Not a great start, but okay.  Husband and wife operation.  Nice lodge.  They both used to work in a prison (which I didn't know beforehand.) Ran the camp just like a prison.  It was horrible!  Want to hang out and checkout the successful hunters deer and BS with them when you got back?  Not happening for more than 5 minutes before the owner kicked everyone out.  Took your guns and locked em up in a shed at the end of every day.  Just a horrible experience with them from start to finish.... almost felt like being in jail.  Spent a lot of money to get treated like shit... most of the other guys in camp agreed.

I have a couple others I'll share .
View Quote
@explodingvarmints

Could you please PM me the name of the guide?
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:51:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

LOL, sounds like our all inclusive duck hunt at Reelfoot lake we booked pre internet days. Little did we know they were in the middle of a drought that fall and the lake was way down. All of the blinds were left in what amounted to dry fields.
View Quote
My family has all kind of ground around there. It is amazing what folks will pay to shoot a duck. Let me know if you want to come back.
@waldo
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 3:11:56 PM EDT
[#32]
A friend said his uncle ran a trophy ranch in Brownwood, Tx. Had two cull bucks for $200.
I booked both hunts. One for me and one for my wife.
We arrived and got settled in to the 5 star newish bunkhouse.
Uncle took us to town and treated us to a great steak dinner.
Next morning I’m in a comfortable stand with the uncle. First light there is the biggest 8pt buck I have ever seen in Tx.
He says shoot it.
I say what is the up charge for that trophy buck.
He says stop fucking around and shoot that cull buck. I say that buck for $200?  He says YES! What are you waiting for? Shoot it.
Turns out that trophy bucks there wer 10 and 12 pointers. Mature 8s were cull bucks.
Couldn’t believe it. Wife got one just like it.
Next day we both shot does for $50 each.
My complaint? I had to go to town to buy two additional coolers to take the meat home. ????
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 6:36:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
A friend said his uncle ran a trophy ranch in Brownwood, Tx. Had two cull bucks for $200.
Next morning I’m in a comfortable stand with the uncle. First light there is the biggest 8pt buck I have ever seen in Tx.
He says shoot it.
He says stop fucking around and shoot that cull buck. I say that buck for $200?  He says YES! What are you waiting for? Shoot it.
Turns out that trophy bucks there wer 10 and 12 pointers. Mature 8s were cull bucks.
Couldn’t believe it. Wife got one just like it.
My complaint? I had to go to town to buy two additional coolers to take the meat home. ????
View Quote
You poor thing lol.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 7:18:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Next morning I'm in a comfortable stand with the uncle. First light there is the biggest 8pt buck I have ever seen in Tx.
He says shoot it.
Couldn't believe it. Wife got one just like it.
My complaint? I had to go to town to buy two additional coolers to take the meat home.
View Quote
I thought this was a hunting trip/guide horror story thread.  Not a hunting fantasy thread!  
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 7:30:05 PM EDT
[#35]
No real horror stories, but I've found that I'm better than at least half the "guides" I've had.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:46:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I thought this was a hunting trip/guide horror story thread.  Not a hunting fantasy thread!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Next morning I'm in a comfortable stand with the uncle. First light there is the biggest 8pt buck I have ever seen in Tx.
He says shoot it.
My complaint? I had to go to town to buy two additional coolers to take the meat home.
Right
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 9:04:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What are yours?

Saskatchewan whitetail hunt:
Well renowned outfitter that a friend had been to a few times.  Get picked up at the SK airport in a large van.  So over packed complete strangers were damn near sitting on each others laps for a couple hours drive.  Not a great start, but okay.  Husband and wife operation.  Nice lodge.  They both used to work in a prison (which I didn't know beforehand.) Ran the camp just like a prison.  It was horrible!  Want to hang out and checkout the successful hunters deer and BS with them when you got back?  Not happening for more than 5 minutes before the owner kicked everyone out.  Took your guns and locked em up in a shed at the end of every day.  Just a horrible experience with them from start to finish.... almost felt like being in jail.  Spent a lot of money to get treated like shit... most of the other guys in camp agreed.

I have a couple others I'll share .
View Quote

Why you would stay is beyond me, even if it was prepaid, and if it was you didn't do any reviewing, hey>
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 9:44:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Picture Jabba the Hut.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Picture Jabba the Hut.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:03:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Why you would stay is beyond me, even if it was prepaid, and if it was you didn't do any reviewing, hey>
View Quote
It was a pretty damn long walk back to the airport in single digit weather.  My review was submitted to a couple different entities - shockingly vanished not long after being posted.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:48:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

A guy at my gun club was required to give presentations about poaching as part of his plea bargain.

He had used a Montana guide for elk 3 years in a row, all inclusive thing that included license and tags. He was contacted by a federal prosecuting attorney because the guide was not actually getting any licenses or tags. He cooperated and included all of his paperwork from the guide.

Bad decision. The fed prosecuted both him and his son under the Lacy act. He spent low 6 figures defending his son and then took a felony plea because he couldn't afford his own defense.

My take away was don't talk to the cops and check to make sure you're legal yourself.
View Quote
Holy shit that's... insane.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 12:16:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All because he never spent 30 minutes +/- on why you never talk to the police:
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 12:20:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Is that you James?  Maybe I struck a nerve. To be clear I’m not entitled to anything on the mans property. He practically started the conversation bitching about the hog population and in the end wanted me to pay to help him solve it. I had no desire to hunt hog...only duck... but after he showed his ass I passed on his offer. Try rereading what I wrote...
View Quote
I have no problems with what you said about the old man. He seemed like he deserved it, and I’d probably say the same. Your quote about all the Texas ranchers is what struck my nerve. Not most of them are like that, but you seem to think you should have free reign of their place just because they have a problem.

By the way we allowed free hog hunting on our place IF we trusted you. That bit us in the ass several times too many though. People just don’t respect shit when it’s given to them.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:33:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
just because he said that's what happened doesn't mean that's the unvarnished truth
stories told by folks on community service tend to paint the teller as an innocent and naive victim of circumstance
and I've heard a bunch of them
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 12:50:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I have no problems with what you said about the old man. He seemed like he deserved it, and I’d probably say the same. Your quote about all the Texas ranchers is what struck my nerve. Not most of them are like that, but you seem to think you should have free reign of their place just because they have a problem.

By the way we allowed free hog hunting on our place IF we trusted you. That bit us in the ass several times too many though. People just don’t respect shit when it’s given to them.
View Quote
I’ll reiterate as a land owner myself...I do not feel I’m owed anything by anyone. I’ve spent thousands of my own dollars helping a few stand up guys kill hundreds of yotes on their ranches to preserve both their cattle and their antelope herds. But a growing problem of many ranchers in TX (note I didn’t say ALL in my original post) is their desire to make money off of everything...regardless of whether it is folks dedicating time/resources/money to help them out or not. I get it....capitalism...money...  But a few short years ago all we heard about was the exploding hog population and the impending doom. Ranchers were paying folks to come with helicopters to shoot hogs on their land. Then they realized the profit potential, and then people started paying thousands of dollars to do so. Again...good on the land owners in the area. I don’t fault them. But when the hog population explodes and you can’t get enough people to pay you to come take care of your rodent problem, don’t resort to vague and shady tactics to get people onto your land.

I let folks shoot groundhogs on my place so the guy I lease to doesn’t break wagon axles when he is cutting corn. I don’t charge them to take care of my problems. It’s a mutually benificial relationship. The mentality is VERY different in TX than AZ and NM. Seems like many ranchers don’t want anything to do with you unless they can make a buck off of you, even if you’re willing to spend your money and time to help them. Hence the greedy comment.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 2:13:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
This reminds me of the last hunt I went on with my dad in eastern WA. There was an extended season for whitetail due to crop damage. The farmers in the area asked for and received the season based on the amount of damage being done. We spent a week in the area and only saw one deer (a mulie) on public land but hundreds of whitetails on private land. Not one farmer (the ones who wanted the season) would allow us to hunt. It was either no trespassing signs and locked gates or we were told no when we stopped and asked. There were lots of other hunters in the area with the same story.

I understand it's their property and they can do whatever they want as far as access but if you are going to petition the state for an extended season due to crop damage, at least let people help solve your problem. The game warden we spoke to said he was hearing the same thing and there hasn't been a season extension like that since.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 2:17:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I've always gotten along great with my in-laws. And deer hunting is a big deal in my family and a really big deal to me. Big enough that I always dedicate one of my two weeks of annual vacation time to deer hunting. I'll do one year with my family and the next year with my in-laws and just keep switching like that. My in-laws land sucks but the deer get much bigger up north. My family's land in Missouri is pristine perfect and very large with better accommodations but the deer don't seem quite as nice. So there's benefits and downsides to hunting either place.

2 years ago I hunted with my in-laws when my BIL (kind of a famous dumbass) showed up. My in-laws are shitty communicators. Thought it was just gonna be my FIL but here comes BIL too. Whatever, it's not my land. But BIL is nearly 40 and admits that he's kind of scared of the dark so he needs a light on in the one room cabin for him to sleep well and the woods really spook him even though he's a goddamn apex predator with a high powered rifle.

So the night before opening we all decide where each of us will hunt. I'm last out the door by about 10 minutes making my final preps. Finally get to my spot to find out my BIL changed his mind and took my spot. Wtf. So now I have to really hustle to get over to where he was supposed to be. Not a good start.

Lunch time comes around and I'm hungry and frozen so I head back to the cabin. Bout 30 min later, BIL shows up dragging a bobcat he poached. He was hoping he could buy a permit for it. We explained that was no longer possible and his dad told him he needed to make that cat disappear. So he stuffed it down the outhouse shit hole.

I announced the weather was too fucking cold, packed up my shit and left. Swore I'd never hunt with BIL again.

So 2 years later rolls around. I'm talking 3 days ago. On Thursday I'm texting my FIL and he's asking when I'll get to camp. I tell him around noon. He says he'll be there then too. So I get to the cabin just when I said... and there's my fucking BIL. I said, this is a surprise, when's your dad getting here? BIL says not until around 6pm because he's bring BIL's kids.

You gotta be shitting me. These kids are wild animals. One is 10, the other 8. The cabin is perfect for 1 or 2 people. Tight with 3. And a major problem with 5 especially when 2 of them are I'll behaved terrors. From Friday night through Sunday afternoon they farted on every pillow in the cabin, repeatedly belched as loud as they could at the dinner table, spilled 3 sprites, 2 waters, 1 glass of chocolate milk, and a beer. They ate nothing but junk food and began to complain of belly aches. At one point I walked in the cabin and there sat the 8yo with a glass of vomit in front of him. His vomit. He was admiring all the colors in it. Feeling slightly better, he promptly went back to eating junk food.

The property they own for hunting has a steep, narrow valley as it's main terrain feature. It's heavily wooded, is about 1/4 mile long (though they don't own it all), 300 yards from ridge to ridge and each ridge rises about 500 feet from the base. The bottom of the valley has a deep cut ravine running along the bottom that is all but impossible to cross. I was told to hunt one side of the valley and across the ravine, on the opposite ridge from BIL's location. I can just see BIL's hunting spot through the tree tops. His is clearly the better spot as the morning sun hits it's slope first warming it and making it more enticing to chilly deer.

My BIL brought 2 rifles to hunt with to camp. Each had two stamps. One was a suppressed 10.5" BO with red dot. The other was a suppressed 14.5" 5.56 with a 1-4 scope. Neither had been sighted in. So the evening before opening day he's on the hunting property banging away trying to get a 28 yard zero. After about 20 rounds they're inconsistently on an 8.5x11 sheet of paper. Good enough he figures.

On opening morning some poor, stupid 4pt buck walks up within 8 yards of BIL and his 10yo. He let's the kid take the shot. It blew out his front right leg just beneath the body, knocks it down for a split second before it gets up again as a tripod and begins to hobble off. BIL shoots 3 rounds of 5.56 at it from about 15 yards, misses every shot. Finally switches guns with his son and gut shoots it at 20 yards. Deer drops and BIL immediately walks right up to it on it's downhill side. Didn't wait at all, at which point it stands up again. BIL points gun point-blank at it's vitals and blasts it which causes the deer to fall over dead on top of him. I could just barely see it happen from my position. Not that it mattered. He and his son wouldn't stop talking about how awesome it was and what great hunters they are. It then takes BIL over an hour of cursing at the top of his lungs, gagging and wretching to field dress the little thing. Then he drags it down the hill to the cabin. Meanwhile, nothing is going to even consider entering that valley for the commotion he's creating. His tirade echoed up and down that short valley. So opening morning is a total bust for me. That afternoon wasn't any better. I never saw a thing and normally this area is rife with deer.

I call my wife and tell her day 1 was a bust. She says, "no problem, stay Sunday night and hunt all day Monday. Things are fine here. Just get a couple of deer if you can."
Venison in various forms makes up about 95% of the meat our household eats.

So I talk to FIL and he says he's staying till Tuesday but BIL has to leave Sunday because his monsters have school. FIL is retired and doesn't have anything else to do until Thanksgiving day. Awesome! The circus is gonna leave town and I'll have over a day of peaceful hunting!

So Sunday morning rolls around and everyone sleeps in but me. I get out to my spot and things are picking up. I see some nice does on the opposite side of the valley but there was never a decent shot what with all the trees. Then I pick up on a couple of bucks not far from me. A real nice 8 pointer and a small 5 point. But they were well within the neighbors property and no matter what I tried they wouldn't budge from it and I wasn't gonna shoot across the property line.

Then I hear someone shouting my name from the cabin at the mouth of the valley. It's BIL calling me at the top of his lungs. The bucks move off never to be seen again. I grab my gear and shamble my way down the snowy slope to the cabin to see what the emergency was. He wanted to know if I wanted breakfast and how I liked my eggs. I had to stop myself from spazzing. Fuck it. I'm here. I might as well warm up, eat, drink some coffee, and head back up to coax some deer in. I'm officially half way though my 3 day hunt but things are finally picking up and BIL is about to leave with the kids. Then I look around the cabin and see everything is packed up. Everything but my stuff. I ask my FIL if he's leaving. Yup. Just up and changed his mind. He's preparing to lock up and go home. Hunting season is over. I packed up my shit and we all left.

$160 nonresident deer permit for 1 days of hunting and dealing with utter incompetence. But it's not my land so I'm not about to complain about it to them. If they had just told me ahead of time BIL was coming with his kids I'd have shuffled my schedule and gone to my family's place instead. But, no. They let me buy the permit and walk right into the shit show and only gave me about 12 hours of fruitless hunting for it.

I will never make that mistake again. From here on out my side of the family comes first. They can keep theirs.
View Quote
I feel your pain, we have some friends whose properties we hunt and we are tremendously thankful for the opportunity.  However their daughter in law, who is also a friend also hunts their land, or says she will, what she really does is scare the game, occasionally wound some of it, and say she is hunting when she is not out of embarrassment thus preventing others an opportunity.  So this year between my one tag, and the wifes two, we have my one lil tiny doe and 40 lbs of meat for $150 worth of tags and licences..........next year I am hunting cows......
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 3:01:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:[/b]
View All Quotes
Quoted:[/b]
Dang, just remembered one more.

I was just out of school, just married, new job, no money. I had a friend named Glenn from school call me up and invite me to a dove shoot. I agreed and didn't think much of it.

I get there and it is time to pay up. $150 for the afternoon. Oh crap, that was a LOT more than I was expecting, like three times what I was expecting. But, I was too proud to back down, especially when Glenn peels off bills to pay his way without blinking.

So I get put out on stand and sit in the Georgia heat sweating. The few birds that do fly don't make it far enough into the field for me to get a shot. Finally, about 5, one flies over and I shoot it. It falls about 30 yards from my in an uncut strip. I put down my shotgun to walk over to retrieve my $150 bird, when a kid runs up, grabs my bird, and runs off.

I didn't get another shot the rest of the day.  I did learn to ask how much when Glenn wants to go hunting.
holy shit, I have been on catered dove hunts in AR that have a beer tractor that brings refreshments around.........and never paid to hunt dove............$150
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 3:17:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Told the old cooter he was nuts and to enjoy his hog problem....didn't sign on the duck lease either. Greedy fuck wants his pig money then I hope he is prepared to lose his fields. I'm not driving 6 hours and pay him to take care of his own rodent problem. Fuck most TX ranchers. They made their bed and now they can lie in it. Viva la Piggy.
View Quote
This, I would if given the chance wander the several hundred miles to texas to kill some pigs for fun on occasion, but I will be damned if I will pay for the privilege.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 3:21:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
He says shoot it.
View Quote
thats a nice problem to have....
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 4:06:47 AM EDT
[#50]
I’m about to have one tomorrow.

Somebody put up a really nice metal blind on my rice field...brushed it...fields flooded.

Nobody has leased it from me...for hunting rights

I’m thinking it’s going to be interesting when I’m sitting there this weekend and hunters show up...likely having paid the guy who leases farming rights, but whose contract specifically states NO HUNTING and no subleases ever...

Splainin to do....
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top