Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 22
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:30:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I remain skeptical about C3 before landfall. I suspect it’s wishful doomer thinking.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure if C3 but it could be a C2.

I remain skeptical about C3 before landfall. I suspect it’s wishful doomer thinking.

The Gulf is pretty warm right now.  

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:30:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yeah the extra panicked people are mostly new here. If you moved here from Ohio and the only thing you know about hurricanes is the hyperbolic rhetoric on the news and weather sites/stations, it seems like it’s comparable to trying to survive a nuclear war. That’s just not the case - it makes a big mess but within three days to a week most services are back to normal. You just need enough spare gas and food and water on hand to last until the roads are cleared off and the stores and gas stations are able to get power back to operate; I’ve never seen that take more than 2-3 days.
View Quote

My man, I live in southwest Georgia and Michael had me without power for 32 days. Couldn't even leave home for the first 4 days. Did get about 10 boxes of free MRE's out of the deal once I could reach town though.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:30:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I predict it will exceed cat 3
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:32:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Actually, the cheap plastic water jugs at publix leak after a while. Need glass jugs/growlers for storage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do they say every June?  Buy your shit now.  Be ready now.  

Nope, water may expire

Actually, the cheap plastic water jugs at publix leak after a while. Need glass jugs/growlers for storage.

If only they made a large device that could store a large quantity of potable water….  That you could fill up using the same water that is piped into your home.

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:33:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:34:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Still a long way out and the forecast area of land strike could change significantly. Tomorrow's forecasts should firm things up.

Irregularly shaped shorelines, like along much of the Gulf coast, allow the wind to trap water and then push it inland.

Plenty of hotel rooms available on the Atlantic side and Orlando area.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:34:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If only they made a large device that could store a large quantity of potable water….  That you could fill up using the same water that is piped into your home.

View Quote

I have a swimming pool and a couple gallons of bleach. We won’t be running out of potable water….ever
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:37:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is a highway map that may show congestion.  If there is a better one please post it.  Then there is an app called Florida 511 that may be useful.

Gridlock guide

The following may be better:

Florida 511
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Hurricane Vidalia is on the way, guys! Hide yo kids, hide yo wife!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:40:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:42:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sounds like a standard prep for a decent sized family, to me...

10 cases of water is about 2-3 days for a family of 4 in hot months.  I would also buy about 10 gallon jugs for washing things. Maybe 20 if I thought the water supply was going to be contaminated.

I have 8-5 gallon gas cans at my house. I have 2 generators, one big and one small, plus a portable a/c unit.  It would probably take 10-12 gallons to run them for 24 hours.

I also have 4 propane tanks, and my dad has 2.  I can cook for 5 and help neighbors with that.

If I knew a big storm was coming through, then I would probably refill my gas cans, propane, and water.

If I were one of those dudes, then I would also grab a couple if 5-quart jugs of oil.

In other words, prepping for an event is relative.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tallahassee was in full panic mode yesterday. I saw a guy with an 8’ bed F250 completely loaded with propane cylinders, a family at the hardware store buying about a dozen gas cans, and when I stopped in Costco a guy with a flat cart and a wide eyed, panicked expression saw a case of water on my cart and asked if they had a limit on water - I’m just assuming he probably bought 10 cases, must be pretty thirsty. Every gas station has cars lined up to fill gas cans.

Panic hoarding is in full effect now.

Sounds like a standard prep for a decent sized family, to me...

10 cases of water is about 2-3 days for a family of 4 in hot months.  I would also buy about 10 gallon jugs for washing things. Maybe 20 if I thought the water supply was going to be contaminated.

I have 8-5 gallon gas cans at my house. I have 2 generators, one big and one small, plus a portable a/c unit.  It would probably take 10-12 gallons to run them for 24 hours.

I also have 4 propane tanks, and my dad has 2.  I can cook for 5 and help neighbors with that.

If I knew a big storm was coming through, then I would probably refill my gas cans, propane, and water.

If I were one of those dudes, then I would also grab a couple if 5-quart jugs of oil.

In other words, prepping for an event is relative.

10 ea 40 count cases of water bottles lasting a family of 4 for 3 days means that each person is drinking 33 bottles of water per day. They would be dead if they did that.

I fill a couple clean five gallon buckets and maybe a big tote bin to use for grey water and dishwashing, etc. It’s not very efficient to use bottled water for that stuff.

I’m not saying that people shouldn’t make preparations but I am absolutely saying that some people are making irrational last minute preparation decisions based on panic reactions. You’re probably not going to need 20 full propane tanks and it’s equally unlikely that you’ll be cutoff for so long that you drink up 400 bottles of water.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:44:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I have a swimming pool and a couple gallons of bleach. We won’t be running out of potable water….ever
View Quote

You may have heard a friend or family member say, “I don’t need to worry about storing water for an emergency, I have a swimming pool!” Are they right? Well, here you’ll learn if it’s really safe to drink pool water in an emergency, what you can do to make sure it’s safe, and if you should rely on it as an emergency water source.

Can You Drink Swimming Pool Water in an Emergency?
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:45:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have a swimming pool and a couple gallons of bleach. We won't be running out of potable water .ever
View Quote

Pool water is nasty shit.
Few days of no circulation,  contamination from debris.... and tons of tds's....you'll be on shitter in short order.

Water service is one I've never seen lost in a hurricane.

Ymmv
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:45:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Every pool after Ian was black. Non-circulating 95F water with random debris in it? Sure, drink up.

Bathtub water is for flushing, not drinking, eeeww. Pop the sewer vent cap so when it backfills when the lift pump stations fail, it doesn't go into your house, it goes in your yard.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:45:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I just got a text for availability here.
View Quote

Don’t worry, we won’t send y’all back regardless of union status

We always appreciative the help, y’all do the good work.

Stay safe!
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:46:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’m glad to see a glass is half full poster; it’s really refreshing.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:47:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:47:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

My man, I live in southwest Georgia and Michael had me without power for 32 days. Couldn't even leave home for the first 4 days. Did get about 10 boxes of free MRE's out of the deal once I could reach town though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah the extra panicked people are mostly new here. If you moved here from Ohio and the only thing you know about hurricanes is the hyperbolic rhetoric on the news and weather sites/stations, it seems like it’s comparable to trying to survive a nuclear war. That’s just not the case - it makes a big mess but within three days to a week most services are back to normal. You just need enough spare gas and food and water on hand to last until the roads are cleared off and the stores and gas stations are able to get power back to operate; I’ve never seen that take more than 2-3 days.

Yeah Michael directly steamrolled my house on the panhandle and I was without power for 15 days but I lived in a rural neighborhood where everyone had tractors and chainsaws; we had the local roads clear at the end of Day 2. By Day 3 you could drive to find open gas stations being run by the National Guard on generator power.

I wish I’d taken advantage of the free MRE’s.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:49:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Just got mandatory evac call from Citrus Co Sheriff for A zone which I am in, but not going to leave.  Got plenty of preps and sandbags, will be fine.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:49:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I know people on the water in St Pete Beach, they refuse to evac.
View Quote

That’s not what I would do.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:50:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Dunedin here, Northern Pinellas County. Made a run to Publix and the liquor store this morning about 9 am. Gas stations were all out of gas already, and Publix was basically out of water. I needed neither, just wanted some fresh grapes, avocados, and bourbon. Making extra ice in the freezer today and tomorrow. I'm set.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:52:26 PM EDT
[#22]
In my years of living on the water in FL, the best thing I owned for post-hurricane comfort were a couple of battery operated fans from West Marine.  They had foam blades so sticking your sleeping finger in it didn't hurt and kept a breeze on your face when the power was out (and thus no A/C), it made sleep a far easier task.   Not applicable to those that have generators but a thought for anyone that might be without power in 90* weather for a few days.

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:53:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Every pool after Ian was black. Non-circulating 95F water with random debris in it? Sure, drink up.

Bathtub water is for flushing, not drinking, eeeww. Pop the sewer vent cap so when it backfills when the lift pump stations fail, it doesn't go into your house, it goes in your yard.
View Quote

I have filters and chemical disinfectant. That and my generator runs the pool pump if I want it to. Using that water is certainly a better choice than a lake etc. I’m not worried in the slightest about the ability to make it potable. It’s the back up for the 30+ gallons I already have.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:56:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Should get DT to get his Sharpie out and just redraw that path out to sea.  No problemo.

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:59:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Seriously hope this is a nothing burger for everyone in its path.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 1:07:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Latest advisory has landfall near Cedar Key
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 1:10:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Possible surge levels around the Tampa Bay area with Idalia's current track and intensity. This shows the area doesn't need a direct landfall to have big issues. Some of the highest numbers some have ever seen here possible.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 1:20:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 1:22:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I have filters and chemical disinfectant. That and my generator runs the pool pump if I want it to. Using that water is certainly a better choice than a lake etc. I’m not worried in the slightest about the ability to make it potable. It’s the back up for the 30+ gallons I already have.
View Quote

That's better planning than the facebook feeds not 24 hours after Ian. Folks were like, we just ran out of insulin, grrandpaps is needing oxygen too, any rX open because our '98 LeSabre is out of gas, and even if it wasn't, a tree fell on it.  Meanwhile the roads were busy popping everyone's tires out sight seeing the destruction like a halloween parade.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 1:25:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Funny watching all the newbies to Florida freak out. This goes on every year to the Tampa area and nothing ever happens.

Natural gas generator is ready. Beer is fired up. No work Tues or Wednesday (maybe we’ll get lucky and there will be some damage and get a whole 4 days off).

Feel bad for those Cedar Key and north. They will get wrecked.

My fondest memories of childhood are hurricane days. It’s been a while and I’m glad we’re gonna get some nice stormy weather. We need an Arfcom hurricane party.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 1:27:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Stay safe my fellow Floridians!
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 1:27:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Interesting plan.   I think that I would head north to northwest to totally clear the system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, cat 3 and up, no joke. Folks on the Westcoast in the landfall area.  Call South Fla and see if you can get a hotel room held.

Interesting plan.   I think that I would head north to northwest to totally clear the system.
Generally, they stay within the projected cone pretty well.  SouthEast Florida should be okay. Just easier to go somewhere else in the state, though I suppose Alabama would be close and a good spot.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 1:27:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Saw a fight at the Wawa on Walsingham.  People be crazy.
View Quote

The Wawa on Walsingham does not need a hurricane to have a fight get started bro. You know this.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 1:28:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That's better planning than the facebook feeds not 24 hours after Ian. Folks were like, we just ran out of insulin, grrandpaps is needing oxygen too, any rX open because our '98 LeSabre is out of gas, and even if it wasn't, a tree fell on it.  Meanwhile the roads were busy popping everyone's tires out sight seeing the destruction like a halloween parade.
View Quote

The flat tire thing is absolutely an issue once the storm passes. I was in the FLARNG when we were sent to Key West after a blow in the late 90’s. Our lead element was delayed for hours because of all the flats on out HUMMWV’s. All the roofs that came off littered the roadways with roofing nails. If you consider the tires on tactical vehicles are “puncture resistant “ you can imagine how many’s rubberneckers will be on the side of the road come the end of the week.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 1:40:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Latest advisory has landfall near Cedar Key
View Quote

Watch for where Reed Timmer shows up, he knows where to go to get right in the middle of things
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 1:44:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
This goes on every year to the Tampa area and nothing ever happens.
View Quote

Oh, now ya done did it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 1:51:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Pool water is nasty shit.
Few days of no circulation,  contamination from debris.... and tons of tds's....you'll be on shitter in short order.

Water service is one I've never seen lost in a hurricane.

Ymmv
View Quote
I've only ever gone without water during a storm once from damage. Lightning struck the ground above the water main and it EXPLODED. Cut off water to thousands of homes for a few days. Then the boil water notice after that.

Routinely had water preemptively cut off by the utility company. But that what living on a barrier island looks like sometimes.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 1:53:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't forget about your water heater also.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 1:53:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 1:55:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The Wawa on Walsingham does not need a hurricane to have a fight get started bro. You know this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Saw a fight at the Wawa on Walsingham.  People be crazy.

That’s my got to gas station, for the last six years. I’ve never seen a fight there during the day. A friend of mine works the overnight shift. He has seen a few.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 2:02:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Funny watching all the newbies to Florida freak out. This goes on every year to the Tampa area and nothing ever happens.

Natural gas generator is ready. Beer is fired up. No work Tues or Wednesday (maybe we’ll get lucky and there will be some damage and get a whole 4 days off).

Feel bad for those Cedar Key and north. They will get wrecked.

My fondest memories of childhood are hurricane days. It’s been a while and I’m glad we’re gonna get some nice stormy weather. We need an Arfcom hurricane party.
View Quote

Tampa has been lucky.  The eyes of the three hurricanes in 2004 were to the east.

Irma and Ian were suppose to come closer to Tampa but veered at the last moment.

With just a little change in the path and this one can do significant damage to Tampa.

I have lived in Florida my entire life and have been in a dozen hurricanes.  The worst one for me was Donna in 1960 when the eye went over our house and did significant damage and we were without electricity for five weeks.

I take all hurricanes seriously.  I am as prepared as I can be but it would always be a mistake to underestimate the damage they can do.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 2:08:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Don't forget about your water heater also.
View Quote

I’m on a well. I have the water heater and a pressure tank full in addition to the jugs. You’re right though, many people forget about that and have no idea how to drain it in an emergency
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 2:09:45 PM EDT
[#43]
My wife went to Publix mid morning.  She said it wasn't really bad when she first got there but by the time she was leaving it was starting to get a little hectic.  Bottled water flying off the shelves.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 2:16:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Hillsborough County has issued an evacuation order for residents of Zone A.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Tampa Airport shutting down operations at 1201 Tues 29th, so, midnight tonight

MacDill AFB (Tampa) commander just ordered mandatory evacuation

Its happening

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 2:24:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I've got plenty of bourbon.
View Quote

Damn! No hurricane here this week in Tennessee. But that sounds like a great invitation to venture towards the hurricane from here!
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 2:25:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 2:27:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Idalia appears like it will be the real deal. Stay safe down there my fellow southerners.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 2:33:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Hillsborough County has issued an evacuation order for residents of Zone A.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78843/IMG_7951_jpeg-2935133.JPG
View Quote

New house isn’t in an evac zone and about 82’ above sea level although the lake behind the houses across the street is about 12’ lower than my property level. But it’s big and would take quite a bit to fill up enough to be a concern. This storm looks fast moving and not like it’s gonna park for awhile and rain for a few days.

The old house(which we still own) is in the orange zone in south Tampa just north east of where the crosstown and gandy meet.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 2:33:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top