Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/25/2023 11:38:59 AM EDT
A column of water 100' high and 1" thick has as much pressure at the bottom as a dam 100' high and hundreds of acre feet in volume.

Link to video.

Dad got me into snorkel/scuba diving when I was 14 or so. I asked him "why are snorkels so short?" He cut a 3' length of PVC, put a couple of elbows on it and sent me to the shallow end of the pool. I Could Not Breathe  beyond about 18"! The water pressure was too great.

The same concept was demonstrated when they pressure tested the fuel tanks on the Rutan Voyager aircraft. They hoisted a garden hose 50' up the side of the hangar and connected it to the fuel tank and kept adding water till the tank deformed.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 12:22:26 PM EDT
[#1]
As a PADI guy that's interesting.
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 12:30:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I really liked watching the experiment!
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#3]
She's a Wisconsin 10
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 12:39:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Its true.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#5]
FYI...

For every 2.3 ft of vertical water depth, the pressure increases by 1 psi.
It's even more for salt water.

-ZA
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 12:47:11 PM EDT
[#6]
You've see those giant steel storage tanks for oil?

The ones with a closed roof typically have an extremely low design pressure, sometimes 2" of water.  Theoretically if they didn't leak, the safety relief devices were disabled, and you had enough time, you could burst them using your lungs to over pressure the steel tank.  Human lungs are typically capable of generating a pressure equal to around 20" of water column.

They are remarkably fragile.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 1:02:49 PM EDT
[#7]
When I was a kid all the kids in the neighborhood would dive and snorkel and dive off the boat docks in the keys. Someone had the bright idea to bring a garden hose so we could breathe under water. I found out real quick that you cant go very deep under water and breathe through a pipe. Also garden hose isn't made for outside pressure, its meant to hold pressure in, so the hose would collapse a few feet down and shut off the air.

I once tried as an adult to breathe underwater through a 2" pool  pipe open to the air. This hose is designed to not crush with a vacuum applied. I could just barely breathe at 4 feet down but I had to strain amazingly hard to do it.  5 feet would have been impossible. but I could do 4, just barely.

I want to try taking my old CPAP machine out of storage and see if I can use it under water in the pool, or maybe mod it for pool use.  . Mine uses a mask which covers my nose and mouth.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 1:06:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
She's a Wisconsin 10
View Quote

I never had a physics teacher that cute.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 1:19:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The ones with a closed roof typically have an extremely low design pressure, sometimes 2" of water.  Theoretically if they didn't leak, the safety relief devices were disabled, and you had enough time, you could burst them using your lungs to over pressure the steel tank.  Human lungs are typically capable of generating a pressure equal to around 20" of water column.

View Quote

You're saying that huge tanks that are designed to hold a bunch of oil are only capable of holding the pressure of just a few inches of water?

I don't think I am understanding what you are trying to say.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 1:20:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Don’t breathe compressed air
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 1:28:44 PM EDT
[#11]
She seems kind of geeky, but I'd like to put pressure in her ass.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 1:29:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Also, water is in fact compressible.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 1:38:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, Katerina is a cutie and musically talented too.

KATERINA VISNJIC - SERBIAN TANGO
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 1:43:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Does it boil?
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 1:50:37 PM EDT
[#15]
In Boy Scouts we did a demonstration similar to that where kids on the second story of the church poured water into a hose and lifted a patrol worth of Scouts.

Link Posted: 8/25/2023 1:50:52 PM EDT
[#16]
In the fire service we called it atmospheric or head pressure. We had a standard of 5 p.s.I. Per floor to overcome head pressure, in addition to other friction loss calculations to achieve proper nozzle pressure on, say the 10th or 12th floor the pumper would be screaming.

Hence the reason you can’t pump water up 100 floors.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 1:59:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Vacuum is more neat
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Princeton physics and they're learning what most people learn in high school? WTF?
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 2:16:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, it has to be somewhat compressed if you are going to be able to breath it deeper than 4 feet or so underwater.  

If only there was a way to regulate the pressure....
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 2:27:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah it is. . It's just that it isn't so highly compressible compared to say... the the air we breathe  .  It's relative.

I did  the math then that sub imploded. I don't remember the exact numbers the sub was at but at the depth it was when it popped the water was being compressed by about 4-5% volume compared to at the surface.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 2:37:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
In the fire service we called it atmospheric or head pressure. We had a standard of 5 p.s.I. Per floor to overcome head pressure, in addition to other friction loss calculations to achieve proper nozzle pressure on, say the 10th or 12th floor the pumper would be screaming.

View Quote

Don't skyscrapers have tanks on the upper floors for flushing toilets and such?
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 2:38:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Well, it has to be somewhat compressed if you are going to be able to breath it deeper than 4 feet or so underwater.  

View Quote

It has to be really compressed to breath it underwater. It has to come out at just above two atmospheres (above standard atmospheric pressure) to breath it at 66ft. Google says this is almost 30psi of pressure.

I have breathed compressed air plenty of times (both in the water and out). As far as I know, it has never hurt me. It has always been regulated to breathing air pressures.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 2:41:15 PM EDT
[#23]
If you have a plugged field tile you will see the force of water & gravity as it blows out an upward hole.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 2:42:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Hence the reason you can't pump water up 100 floors.
View Quote
You can, just not with a fire truck.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you think about what a scuba 2nd stage regulator (the thing in your mouth) does and just how amazingly simply it is you’re amazed.

Breathing at 130 feet as easy as 0 feet. It exactly matches outside water pressure and delivers air at same pressure. Outherwise your lungs implode.

I’m sure you knew that on the regulate emphasis.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 2:45:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I read somewhere that to pump water up the space needle they have a plan of two pumpers in series to get enough pressure. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near those hoses.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 2:48:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I read somewhere that to pump water up the space needle they have a plan of two pumpers in series to get enough pressure. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near those hoses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m sure the math on exactly what pressure is required is east. 1 atm (14.7 psi) every 33 feet roughly.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 2:50:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

The diaphragm on the vent is around +/- 15 psi.
They can hold 400 barrels of water. Thats 16,800 gallons of typically salt water
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 2:56:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
She's a Wisconsin 10
View Quote

Was unaware Princeton University was in WI, always thought it was New Jersey.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
A column of water 100' high and 1" thick has as much pressure at the bottom as a dam 100' high and hundreds of acre feet in volume.

Link to video.

Dad got me into snorkel/scuba diving when I was 14 or so. I asked him "why are snorkels so short?" He cut a 3' length of PVC, put a couple of elbows on it and sent me to the shallow end of the pool. I Could Not Breathe  beyond about 18"! The water pressure was too great.

The same concept was demonstrated when they pressure tested the fuel tanks on the Rutan Voyager aircraft. They hoisted a garden hose 50' up the side of the hangar and connected it to the fuel tank and kept adding water till the tank deformed.
View Quote

Yup. Same principal for why one of the units used for barometric pressure is quoted as "inches of mercury" (usually written inHg).

They also tried water, initially, but water is far less dense than mercury, and 1 inHg = 13.6 inches of water column. You'd need a ridiculously long column of water for barometric pressure.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 3:17:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yup. Same principal for why one of the units used for barometric pressure is quoted as "inches of mercury" (usually written inHg).

They also tried water, initially, but water is far less dense than mercury, and 1 inHg = 13.6 inches of water column. You'd need a ridiculously long column of water for barometric pressure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link to video.

I use InH2O. But for differential pressure to calculate cubic feet of gas
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 3:30:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Yep.  It's another reason why water pressure and electrical voltage are analogous.

That long thin column can exert a lot of pressure, but can't do as much work as a long thick column.  Volts is to pressure and Amps is to volume.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 3:33:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
When I was a kid all the kids in the neighborhood would dive and snorkel and dive off the boat docks in the keys. Someone had the bright idea to bring a garden hose so we could breathe under water. I found out real quick that you cant go very deep under water and breathe through a pipe. Also garden hose isn't made for outside pressure, its meant to hold pressure in, so the hose would collapse a few feet down and shut off the air.

I once tried as an adult to breathe underwater through a 2" pool  pipe open to the air. This hose is designed to not crush with a vacuum applied. I could just barely breathe at 4 feet down but I had to strain amazingly hard to do it.  5 feet would have been impossible. but I could do 4, just barely.

I want to try taking my old CPAP machine out of storage and see if I can use it under water in the pool, or maybe mod it for pool use.  . Mine uses a mask which covers my nose and mouth.
View Quote
Just use a run of the mill air compressor and adapt the output to your hose.  Don't forget to regulate the outlet pressure as far as you can before starting and test without it attached to your face.  You can always increase it.  Blowing 40 psi directly into your mouth and nostrils is going to hurt.

Don't go deep.

Also, it's going to smell and taste bad.  lol
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 3:52:41 PM EDT
[#35]
I'd like to test Newton's third law on her baps
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 3:56:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's how much I think of northern women.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 6:23:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also with the way they kiss, they keep their boyfriends warm at night.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Just use a run of the mill air compressor and adapt the output to your hose.  Don't forget to regulate the outlet pressure as far as you can before starting and test without it attached to your face.  You can always increase it.  Blowing 40 psi directly into your mouth and nostrils is going to hurt.

Don't go deep.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't go deep.

Lol!  Don’t do this.

I mean what could possibly go wrong?  Rust in lungs is the least concern.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 6:37:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Pressure=gravity*height* density of liquid. No one thinks physics be, but it do.

The only thing that matters is the height of the column of fluid for pressure not how wide it is.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Link to video.

View Quote

I have a picture of the voyager in flight, signed by the entire flight crew
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#41]
That is correct...does not matter how large the area is above, pressure is height dependent only.

I remember a problem we had in Fluid Mechanics in college, for a given tank height how long does a pipe with a given friction loss have to be such that no water flows out the end.

Link Posted: 8/25/2023 7:25:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
FYI...

-ZA
View Quote

2.33333_ to be precise.
28" of water column= 1 psi.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 7:25:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
FYI...

-ZA
View Quote

Working in the refineries for close to 40 years, we had thousands of instruments that needed to be calibrated...so one factor we always remembered, 400" of water = 15.025 PSI

400 / 12 = 33.33 feet

33.33 feet / 15.025 = 2.22 ft/psi

I used 15.025 because that is our base at sea level, if you used the more common 14.7, then 33.33/14.7 = 2.27 ft/psi

Link Posted: 8/25/2023 7:28:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You're saying that huge tanks that are designed to hold a bunch of oil are only capable of holding the pressure of just a few inches of water?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I accidentally pressurized a home oil tank to 15 psi. It held.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 7:35:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

@FF208

Yes, the giant 50,000 barrel plus storage tanks, not home hearing oil tanks.  Many are floating roof, but the enclosed cone roof tanks are only capable of holding a few inches of water pressure above the liquid level.  The seam between the roof and the shell is typically the weak point.

Remember, pressure acts on surface area and these tanks have enormous surface area.

Edit to add:  Take a 100' diameter tank.  the surface area of the roof is greater than 1,130,973 square inches. ( I assumed a flat roof rather than a cone because I'm lazy.)

An internal pressure equal to 2" of water column puts a force of 81,656 pounds on the roof.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 7:36:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
She's a Wisconsin 10
View Quote

True story.  I’d hit the fuck outa that, butter face and all!
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 7:38:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
FYI...

-ZA
View Quote

There was a recent experiment with carbon fiber bonded to titanium that tested this....
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 7:44:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

2.33333_ to be precise.
28" of water column= 1 psi.
View Quote
2.31 ft of water equals 1 psi. Water is at 4 deg C for that standard. You could go to 2.306 for extra precision, but everybody uses 2.31.

Water is the most dense at 4 deg C.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Lol!  Don’t do this.

I mean what could possibly go wrong?  Rust in lungs is the least concern.
View Quote

Yeah, bad idea.
Most compressors will blow contaminants like oil, good way to get pneumonia at the least.
There are special compressors called hookah made specifically for shallow diving.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 7:53:27 PM EDT
[#50]

And could have been all avoided by having this in the bottom of main drain pot

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top