User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 6:14:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Also, beware Delta P injuries and fatalities.  Friend had a kid die this way in a pool when I was young.  

Dangers of Delta-P

Crab Sucked into Pipe by Delta-P
View Quote

Turtle found out.

Suction Turtle by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 6:16:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

They had a wildfire in north Florida back in the 80s, on a flatwoods site, heavy organic soils. They ran a 17 mile hose lay to feed the sprinklers wet tingling  down the peat.

I forget how many, but it was a series of staged engines pumping water to drop tanks, in sequence, to get the water to the fire. I’m sure it was under 500 feet between tanks.
View Quote

Now that’s an interesting concept.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 8:15:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quiz time.

Is it the weight of the water causing the pressure or the weight of the atmosphere on the water?  They are both fluids.

Or is it the difference in pressure between the glass vessel and air vs water combined with atmosphere?
View Quote

Weight due to gravity (potential energy, related to the height at the highest vs lowest levels).

If the 1" x 100' pipe was horizontal, there wouldn't be much pressure at all.

It's why one measure of pressure is inches of water column/inH2O. There is no volume quotient. It's just vertical height of the water column (whether it's a 1 inch diameter pipe, or the base of a dam).
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:11:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll show my ignorance.

Why doesn't snorkeling with a 10ft tube work?  Why isn't the air inside the tube equalized with the atmosphere?

Edit - or are we just referencing the pressure on the human diaphragm?
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:15:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'll show my ignorance.

Why doesn't snorkeling with a 10ft tube work?  Why isn't the air inside the tube equalized with the atmosphere?
View Quote

Your lungs can’t expand due to water pressure on them so much greater than air pressure.

It’s why scuba works. You are breathing air at water pressure at whatever depth you’re at so it feels like normal breathing. Though you are actually taking in MUCH more air at depth. At 100 feet you are breathing 4 times more air per breath. Which means 4 times more nitrogen.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Several years ago we had torrential rains for days on end, flooding everywhere. A house I drive by every day had their septic tank float right out of the ground, I'm assuming it had just been pumped and didn't have enough weight in it to keep it in place.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:13:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Why build giant water towers then? why not just a huge basin with a small tube on top to maintain pressure?
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:24:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why build giant water towers then? why not just a huge basin with a small tube on top to maintain pressure?
View Quote

Because gravity is your friend when it comes time to  feed that water somewhere, like a fire hydrant.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:27:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:. For every 2.3 ft of vertical water depth, the pressure increases by 1 psi.
It's even more for salt water.

-ZAZAGABOR
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:29:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Don’t breathe compressed air
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 5:00:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because as soon as you use the amount of water in the small tall tube, your pressure is gone.

Nobody wants 5 gallons at full pressure, they need all the tank to be delivered at full pressure.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:01:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:. Also, water is in fact compressible.
View Quote

Inconceivable!!
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:03:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:. Princeton physics and they're learning what most people learn in high school? WTF?
View Quote
Well, it is new jersey.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:. It's another reason why water pressure and electrical voltage are analogous.  That long thin column can exert a lot of pressure, but can't do as much work as a long thick column.  Volts is to pressure and Amps is to volume.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:24:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:. The only thing that matters is the height of the column of fluid for pressure not how wide it is.
View Quote

So a skinny bitch be the same as a fat bitch if they are the same height ?
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:32:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
You can, but you won't get much flow.

Assuming you make a tube small and strong enough to hold 1 gallon of water, but extended 200 feet in the air, the basin will be greatly pressurized.  But the second someone cracks a faucet, they will only get part of a gallon before pressure drops to zero.

Pressure != work
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top