Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 3:46:37 PM EDT
[#1]
French explorers were the first (1673) Europeans in the Midwest.  If you think Osage Orange is hard and makes good fence posts Black Locust is/was used for corner posts because of these qualities and the additional stresses placed upon corner posts.  It is so hard that it is necessary to oil nails so they will drive into the wood without bending…
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 3:48:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Ah, yes - the monthly Osage orange thread.

Link Posted: 2/23/2014 3:50:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

French settlers, I think.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We call it Bois d' Arc (pronounced Bo Dark). These were old fence posts, probably been in the ground around 75-80 years. Harder than  woodpecker lips. DO NOT CUT WITH A CHAINSAW. The sparks off your chain will start fires. I cut these with a carbide tipped skill saw on my driveway.

Burns very hot, as a matter of fact, I won't do a fire with all Bois d' Arc, will cause your stove to glow orange ( ask me how I know).

It does sparkle pretty bad, so it must be used in an enclosed wood stove.

The top brown one is Walnut. I've run across a few Walnut posts, but not very often and they were probably repairs put in much later.

Now, why's it called Bois d'Arc?

It  translates in to "Bow Wood". Indians use the wood for making their bows. Many craftsman still do. I'm not sure why it's French though. Do you know?

It's named after Joan d'Arc's boyfriend.

Link Posted: 2/23/2014 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I actually had that text book  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I actually had that text book  

I bought it for "fun".

Link Posted: 2/23/2014 3:53:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Has anybody said Osage Orange yet??

A few pieces snuck into our woodpile. Boy, you can sure as hell tell when you grabbed a piece. if I was surviving and needed some wood in the dead of winter for warmth, Osage Orange is what I would use. But not for some 'casual' reading a book by the fire burning. Holy shit it gets hot.

Pops too. Keep that in mind, OP. If you can't tell by the heat, you can tell by embers launching across the room whenever you go to poke it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 3:55:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We call it Bois d' Arc (pronounced Bo Dark). These were old fence posts, probably been in the ground around 75-80 years. Harder than  woodpecker lips. DO NOT CUT WITH A CHAINSAW. The sparks off your chain will start fires. I cut these with a carbide tipped skill saw on my driveway.

Burns very hot, as a matter of fact, I won't do a fire with all Bois d' Arc, will cause your stove to glow orange ( ask me how I know).

The top brown one is Walnut. I've run across a few Walnut posts, but not very often and they were probably repairs put in much later.

It  translates in to "Bow Wood". Indians use the wood for making their bows. Many craftsman still do. I'm not sure why it's French though. Do you know?

I was always told it meant 'wood of the ark' and was originally thought to be such, until proven otherwise.

Link Posted: 2/23/2014 4:05:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Same for locust.
Burn it in small quantities and mix it with other woods-no problems.
You can smell the creosote as it burns if the stove isn't drawing well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was always told it was dangerous to burn much hedgeball (osage orange) as it creasoted your chimney and could lead to chimney fires

Same for locust.
Burn it in small quantities and mix it with other woods-no problems.
You can smell the creosote as it burns if the stove isn't drawing well.

This right here.  

If you burn much of that you will need to be checking the chimney.  It doesn't take much to build up a level of creosote that is dangerous.  

When you hear the freight train running wide open in your chimney you will know there is too much built up.  Call the fire department.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 4:06:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Maclura pomifera

Used to know the name off the top of my head. Dr. Wyant beat it into us.  I miss college.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 4:07:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/23/2014 5:19:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

actually the Indians, errr Native Americans, err Indigenous Peoples errr "First Peoples" used the Boi d Arc for bows and the French Surrender Monkey's
named the tree
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because the French used it for bows.

actually the Indians, errr Native Americans, err Indigenous Peoples errr "First Peoples" used the Boi d Arc for bows and the French Surrender Monkey's
named the tree

Yep, you're right.  French settlers talking about Indian bows.  My error.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Black locust...burns long and hot. Also draws ants and termites like no other species. Full dried and seasoned will play hell on a chain and bar.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 5:28:43 PM EDT
[#12]
The arc part of it is the same arc as is in the word archer.  Just like the arch shape of a bow.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 6:07:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Osage Orange.

Most everyone's nailed it. We did some TSI (Timber Stand Improvement) on the property about 6 years ago. We have a fair amount of Osage Orange. They can die and still be standing there 50 years or longer with no noticeable change!

The previous owner had a few fence row posts made out of it.

I never try to cut it for firewood until its been dead a few years. Even then, I bring a freshly sharpened saw and a few extra chains.

I always try to mix it with other hardwoods when burning like others have mentioned.

Earlier poster nailed it. I saw a firewood burn chart that had it right below coal for heat production as well as being one of the most dense.

As soon as I open my wood burning stove's door, look out. When the O2 hits it it sparks everywhere.

The "hedge apples" that drop make great targets!
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 6:13:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Not hedge (Osage).  

Black locust, the top piece is seasoned, green/yellow ones are not.  I've got a big chunk of it in the fireplace right now.  It burns good, like any other wood though creosote won't build up if you let it burn good and hot.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 6:18:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I burned Eucalyptus bark a few weeks ago and it got hot, had to move away when cooking hot dogs. interestingly it only has a MBTU of 18.4 per cord. The OP's wood is 30+ MBTU!

That's some hot shit!
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 6:32:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Careful cutting green hedge. It is a lot easier on the chainsaw but the milky sap can cause an allergic reaction when the wood chips hit your sweaty face.  Ask me how I know.   I burn a metric shit ton of that stuff in my outdoor wood burner each winter! I call it yellow gold when it gets cold.  Very fitting now with the current cost of propane....which is my other heating option.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 10:08:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
GD is the right place if you are looking for wood experts
View Quote

Can you tell whether I have soft wood or hard wood?
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 10:25:09 PM EDT
[#19]
In before the EPA Stormtroopers burner your house to the ground.

IT'S FOR THE CHILDREN.

Link Posted: 2/23/2014 11:42:40 PM EDT
[#20]
The top one is Cypriot Swampoodle (also sometimes called "European Mushtoe")

The rest are Black-Knurled Ferderdle
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 8:39:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have been looking for one damn 6 foot section to use for a bow every time I to through OK but I can't find any.

Stutzcattle, what part of NE are you in?
View Quote

South central, just off hwy 81.  Let me know how straight, what length and diameter you want and I can go and cut you a few.  You can pick them up on your way through.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 8:57:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Osage Orange. Great for making stick bows.

ETA already mentioned lol
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top