BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:04:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

By "McMansions", do you mean "George's window is 10' from my bedroom window, but Tom's drone 200' away is the problem"?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't call the area where I live a suburb. It's country living on the edge of a suburb. The street I live on is all four to six acre lots on a country road, then a 60-some acre field on the north side of all of the houses, and a McMansion development on the east side of the field. To the north of the field is a large Metro Park, which poses another problem because they claim they have a right to restrict drones over their airspace as well to one single area but I disagree.

We think the letter came from somebody who owns one of the McMansions.

By "McMansions", do you mean "George's window is 10' from my bedroom window, but Tom's drone 200' away is the problem"?

Bingo.

They all live on top of each other. My daughters friend lives in the same neighborhood. We went over for a cookout one day, and the edge of their brick patio is literally 1 foot away from the neighbors brick patio.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:04:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

How about don’t be a dick?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The red square on the edge of my property is my barn. Its a 4 car garage and workspace on the bottom, and a guest house / game room / party room on the 2nd floor with a balcony. From the balcony I can see all the way through the corn field which is probably 60-70 acres or more. I can maintain VLOS throughout the entire field. All the houses on my side of the road are 4-7 acres.

The lady who we think sent the letter lives all the way over in the mcmansion development. I've flown toward her property and gotten pretty close, but not actually over it. She lives probably 2200 feet away or more. They have some kids playground things in the back yard.

The dog lady lives a couple houses over.

I have to fly over at least one property to get to the field.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/269116/droneflying_png-2426746.JPG

How about don’t be a dick?

Point out where I'm being a dick by flying in a corn field.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:04:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been sporadically flying different drones in my neighborhood, parks, beach, etc for years and never had anyone say anything other than "cool drone!" I suspect you'd have to be flying like a real dick to draw multiple complaints.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:05:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Use your done to drop leaflets throughout the neighborhood.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:05:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Dont be a creep and fly over your neighbors yards?

There are plenty of places you can fly a drone and not come off as a creeper.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:05:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've been sporadically flying different drones in my neighborhood, parks, beach, etc for years and never had anyone say anything other than "cool drone!" I suspect you'd have to be flying like a real dick to draw multiple complaints.
View Quote

I think its mostly boomers with too many "fur babies" and karens who say "think about the children" ten times a day.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:11:48 AM EDT
[#7]
The problem is that you know your intentions are benign: entertainment, skill, challenge, fun, adventure, whatever.
The people you're flying around don't know who's controlling it or for what purposes.
All they see is a drone zooming around *nearby* their home and private backyards, open windows, children, sunbathing daughter, etc.
Look at it from their perspective and maybe consider taking the drone someplace else to fly.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:12:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Wait… so the ~$9k quadcopter (with 640 thermal) sitting in its case beside my desk right now is a “toy”?

Well, shit. I had no idea. Guess I’ll have to let the guy I’m doing a solar inspection for this week that I’m gonna have to cancel on him, since all I have is a “toy”.
View Quote

Maybe you shouldn't have over paid?
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:13:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

LoL!
View Quote
Don't laugh at some of the ridiculous laws that are in the books.
"Turns out, under 18 U.S. Code   32, whoever willfully "sets fire to, damages, destroys, disables, or wrecks any aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States" may be fined and/or imprisoned for up to 20 years. The definition of "aircraft" for the purposes of this statute is incredibly broad, and could certainly cover drones"
https://abovethelaw.com/2020/05/is-it-illegal-to-shoot-down-a-drone-same-as-plane-faa-says-as-minnesota-man-charged-with-felony/  
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:16:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Don't laugh at some of the ridiculous laws that are in the books.
"Turns out, under 18 U.S. Code   32, whoever willfully "sets fire to, damages, destroys, disables, or wrecks any aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States" may be fined and/or imprisoned for up to 20 years. The definition of "aircraft" for the purposes of this statute is incredibly broad, and could certainly cover drones"
https://abovethelaw.com/2020/05/is-it-illegal-to-shoot-down-a-drone-same-as-plane-faa-says-as-minnesota-man-charged-with-felony/  
View Quote

What if...now stay with me here...you rigged up a drone for air-to-air and went after the OPs drone? Drone Dogfights...Drone Top Gun competition...the possibilities are endless!
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:30:29 AM EDT
[#11]
MS paint doesn't appear to be drawn to scale.

How about posting up a screen grab from google earth of said hot zone?
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:37:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It is my understanding that shooting down a drone is the same as shooting down a passenger aircraft under the aircraft sabotage act.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
my guess is there is two sides to this story, as for public airspace I'd say any drone out of range of a 12 ga 3" mag is perfectly welcome in my airspace. within range fly at your own discretion?  seems pretty simple to me

It is my understanding that shooting down a drone is the same as shooting down a passenger aircraft under the aircraft sabotage act.

So?  Does that make it right?  We are all into property rights until drones, then somehow we are very in tune with gov regulations.  Flying cameras don't belong in a neighborhood.  It's more than one neighbor, so maybe it's you.  And yes, I have 2 drones.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:38:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would like to post the recording of me flying, to be honest, but people have already been talking about doxing me here....

So I think I'll pass. The scale was purposely skewed.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:39:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
When you fly you have to be stealthy or people will freak out.
View Quote

Stealth isn't quite in the DJIFPV's repertoire.

Make some noise! DJI FPV Drone vs Mavic Air 2, 2 Pro/Zoom & Mini - Noise & speed comparison
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:42:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I would like to post the recording of me flying, to be honest, but people have already been talking about doxing me here....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have reasons for wanting to protect your privacy.
Can't you understand how your neighbors might have the same concerns?
They have no idea what your intentions are, or what you intend to do with the footage your drone may be capturing.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They have no idea what your intentions are, or what you intend to do with the footage your drone may be capturing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A few summers ago we arrested a guy because he had a GoPro on his shoe and was taking upskirt videos of girls at the mall. Maybe we shouldn't let people buy a Go Pro until we know their intentions?

Even better, maybe we shouldn't let someone buy an AR15 until we know their intentions.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:52:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Would you say the same thing if it involved shooting guns on your own property?

Stop shooting guns on your property, go to a shooting range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't fly it in your neighborhood genius.

Go play with your drone somewhere else where it doesn't irritate your neighbors.

Would you say the same thing if it involved shooting guns on your own property?

Stop shooting guns on your property, go to a shooting range.

It would depend on the property. If you're talking about several acres in a rural area, no problem. If you're talking about shooting in your backyard with houses all around, then I'd say to go to a shooting range.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:55:05 AM EDT
[#18]
It would be a damn shame if OP flew over my yard while I was shooting skeet!
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 11:04:48 AM EDT
[#19]
After 6 pages am I actually going to be the guy that says...

This thread is worthless without creepy pictures of neighbors wife!
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 11:06:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Is this another GD thread full of freedom lovers who want to tell others how to enjoy their freedom? I swear the hand wringing around here is getting about as bad as some of the DU Karens....
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 11:08:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
After a lot of research, and a lot of studying, last week, I finally bit the bullet on a nice quality drone to compliment my part 107 license.

Except now all my neighbors are mad.

The neighbors a couple doors down told my wife they didn't appreciate the drone buzzing around, and claimed it scared one of their dogs.

Some people a couple streets over, who are family. Friends, said their neighbors are worried about the creeper flying the drone around.

And today an anonymous typed letter showed up in my mailbox claiming that my drone was scaring children and that people no longer have privacy in their backyards. I think the people a couple streets over and the letter are from the same, but my wife thinks they are different.

I'm following all the necessary rules and regulations as dictated by the FAA, including obtaining flight authorization are necessary.

I don't necessarily want to tick off all my neighbors, but at the same time they need to understand that the airspace is public.
View Quote

But they are ok with guvmint doing similar things???
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 11:17:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/22/2022 11:17:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

The letter writing karen is a pretty average, typical housewife that could stand to lose 30 pounds like the rest of the country.

But the gal that lives across from them works out a lot, has definitely had some work done, and looks great for a 40-something.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 11:19:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

These things are contradictory.  Where does your airspace end and public airspace begin?

Those in this thread offended by a drone need to reflect on their life decisions.
View Quote

My one deed has a limitation of 400' above my property, which is due to a proposed airport.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Get a bigger zoom camera.
View Quote

Zoom in your neighbors and get a lip reader to view the footage.  Might figure out who the asshole is that's accusing you of being a creeper.  Lol
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 11:24:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Got that right.   Son flies a mini 2.   People think the thing has satellite quality imagery.   When he hovers at 300-400 AGL he's doing a 360 shot of the area straight out, local peeps are convinced he's doing surveillance.    Most times just trying to get a quality evening cloud photo to enter in his 4H photo contests.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tell your neighbor you couldn't help but notice that his wife's tits were kind of saggy when you flew by the house.

On a more serious note, welcome to the world of drones. Most people think you can see way more than you're actually seeing with most of them.

Got that right.   Son flies a mini 2.   People think the thing has satellite quality imagery.   When he hovers at 300-400 AGL he's doing a 360 shot of the area straight out, local peeps are convinced he's doing surveillance.    Most times just trying to get a quality evening cloud photo to enter in his 4H photo contests.

This. I love to do evening cloud/sunset/city lights shots with my Mini 2. Even at lower altitudes, the combo of wide angle lens and small sensor means you need to get very close for high detail. I was checking my gutters yesterday and had to fly below the roof peak to see well.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 11:25:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Just wait for the flying cars.  You want noise?  You'll have noise!
View Quote

Dust too.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 11:25:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ah man..... I thought it was to scale. We need a new drafter for crime scene layouts and I saw your skills and was ready to extend an offer.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 11:27:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Dont be a creep and fly over your neighbors yards?

There are plenty of places you can fly a drone and not come off as a creeper.
View Quote

This.  If a drone started flying over my yard I would be tempted to purchase an RF Jammer and knock it out of the sky
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 11:40:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The red square on the edge of my property is my barn. Its a 4 car garage and workspace on the bottom, and a guest house / game room / party room on the 2nd floor with a balcony. From the balcony I can see all the way through the corn field which is probably 60-70 acres or more. I can maintain VLOS throughout the entire field. All the houses on my side of the road are 4-7 acres.

The lady who we think sent the letter lives all the way over in the mcmansion development. I've flown toward her property and gotten pretty close, but not actually over it. She lives probably 2200 feet away or more. They have some kids playground things in the back yard.

View Quote

Why is there barely any vegetation in your neighborhood
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 11:42:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The problem is that you know your intentions are benign: entertainment, skill, challenge, fun, adventure, whatever.
The people you're flying around don't know who's controlling it or for what purposes.
All they see is a drone zooming around *nearby* their home and private backyards, open windows, children, sunbathing daughter, etc.
Look at it from their perspective and maybe consider taking the drone someplace else to fly.
View Quote

And those people are right.  There have been plenty of stories about perverts flying around creeping on people.  Maybe that drone doesn't have a good camera, or maybe it does.  Maybe it's not flying 200' above the house but instead 50'.  Maybe it does this every time it's a hot summer day and your wife or daughter is out sunbathing in a private fenced back yard and suddenly a drone flies over.  Is it taking pictures?  Is it recording?  Who's drone is it?  What if they do this every day?

I'm no friend of government regulations but it's astonishing to me how many of the pro-drone crowd are ignoring these very significant issues, because right now their answer just sounds like "trust us, we're not perverts".
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 11:55:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Ah man..... I thought it was to scale. We need a new drafter for crime scene layouts and I saw your skills and was ready to extend an offer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My agency uses drones to 3d model crime scenes.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Trust us, we're not murderers.

Not singling you out MacPherson but this is the same argument that get used all the time. For every ONE story of a weirdo or perv, there are hundreds of people just flying around enjoying the hobby. Just like for every gun crime, there are hundreds of law abiding gun owners.

Quoted:

And those people are right.  There have been plenty of stories about Nefarious gun owners hurting people.  Maybe that firearm has a large magazine or maybe it does not.  Maybe it's not flying 200' above the house but instead 50'.  Maybe it does this every time it's a hot summer day and your wife or daughter is out sunbathing in a private fenced back yard and suddenly a drone flies over.  Is it taking pictures?  Is it recording?  Who's drone is it?  What if they do this every day?

I'm no friend of government regulations but it's astonishing to me how many of the pro-gun crowd are ignoring these very significant issues, because right now their answer just sounds like "trust us, we're not killers".
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/22/2022 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#34]
People need to stop complaining and start buying and flying drones. I watch drone footage from Ukraine every day. Reconnaissance, bombing, artillery guidance etc. done by DJI drones. Used to great effect by both sides. If we are to believe that a domestic conflict is brewing, learning to fly a becomes extremely important. And if no conflict comes, you'll just have fun (unless bitchy neighbors ruin it for you).
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 11:59:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The entire row of houses I live within was part of the cornfield until 20ish years ago. There are a few trees here and there but nothing over 20 years old except along the road itself. The entire road frontage is all mature trees I just didn't draw those on there.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

What if...now stay with me here...you rigged up a drone for air-to-air and went after the OPs drone? Drone Dogfights...Drone Top Gun competition...the possibilities are endless!
View Quote

You can do WAY better than quadcopters for that.

Immersive Head Tracking FPV Dogfight from cockpit of RC Spitfire vs F-14 Tomcat ??????
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:22:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Fly higher.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:22:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
After a lot of research, and a lot of studying, last week, I finally bit the bullet on a nice quality drone to compliment my part 107 license.

Except now all my neighbors are mad.

View Quote

Highlighted the issue.  Most neighbor issues can be solved by not having neighbors.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:30:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You can be WAY better than quadcopters for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C88coyfe1nc
View Quote

Quadcopters like FPV racing drones are way better.

I can chase down pidgeons at the park and both out climb as well as out turn them at every point in the chase.

The pidgeons wind up getting driven towards the ground because often times their ownly evasive maneuver is to bank towards the ground.

Here is one of the best FPV pilots flying at full uncork...
Some of these kids reach Formula 1 style muscle memory to do this

Gifted level of skill

Having the FPV feed slapped on your face you can actually get an adrenaline rush while flying.

I was spending more money on FPV from 2016 through 2018 than on 3 mustangs in my garage.   That includes 2017 when I bought my 1966 project car.

Almost got as good a rush flying FPV as taking the cars out for a good drive in the back roads or a karting session at the track.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:35:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It should be FAA law that land owners can shoot down drones flying over their land by use of shotguns only. Like that's the no go zone below a certain altitude. Fair is fair. Landowners taking back their personal airspace. Flying low over the neighborhood culdesac should be as hot with triple A as a night mission over Hanoi.
View Quote

Look if tHeY dOn'T oWn ThE aIrSpAcE either, and a homeowner's Basic Human RightTM to operate their AAA battery (and test it) costs someone a drone, tough shit right?

ETA: Peak libertarianism?
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:40:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Not singling you out MacPherson but this is the same argument that get used all the time. For every ONE story of a weirdo or perv, there are hundreds of people just flying around enjoying the hobby. Just like for every gun crime, there are hundreds of law abiding gun owners.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And those people are right.  There have been plenty of stories about Nefarious gun owners hurting people.  Maybe that firearm has a large magazine or maybe it does not.  Maybe it's not flying 200' above the house but instead 50'.  Maybe it does this every time it's a hot summer day and your wife or daughter is out sunbathing in a private fenced back yard and suddenly a drone flies over.  Is it taking pictures?  Is it recording?  Who's drone is it?  What if they do this every day?

I'm no friend of government regulations but it's astonishing to me how many of the pro-gun crowd are ignoring these very significant issues, because right now their answer just sounds like "trust us, we're not killers".

If gun owners went around pointing their guns at people and then saying "I wasn't pointing it at you, I was pointing it at something behind you", or "it wasn't loaded, what's the big deal?", you don't think that is an issue?

That analogy utterly fails to address the invasion of privacy I described.  What's the recourse for someone who is harassed by some rando flying a drone over their yard, or worse taking pictures to do who knows what with?
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:45:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Look if tHeY dOn'T oWn ThE aIrSpAcE either, and a homeowner's Basic Human RightTM to operate their AAA battery (and test it) costs someone a drone, tough shit right?

https://hazlitt.net/sites/default/files/gulfwar1.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It should be FAA law that land owners can shoot down drones flying over their land by use of shotguns only. Like that's the no go zone below a certain altitude. Fair is fair. Landowners taking back their personal airspace. Flying low over the neighborhood culdesac should be as hot with triple A as a night mission over Hanoi.

https://hazlitt.net/sites/default/files/gulfwar1.gif

I have footage somewhat similar to that from flying during 4th of July a few years back.   Small little palm sized bugger with an IR sensitive night vision camera.   1/2 mile out and back while watching mortar shells going off.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

The same would be said by an anti-gunner, word-for-word that's their strategy.

Take your guns to where I can't see them or hear them. <-- see

Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:50:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quadcopters like FPV racing drones are way better.

I can chase down pidgeons at the park and both out climb as well as out turn them at every point in the chase.

The pidgeons wind up getting driven towards the ground because often times their ownly evasive maneuver is to bank towards the ground.

Here is one of the best FPV pilots flying at full uncork...
Some of these kids reach Formula 1 style muscle memory to do this

Gifted level of skill

Having the FPV feed slapped on your face you can actually get an adrenaline rush while flying.

I was spending more money on FPV from 2016 through 2018 than on 3 mustangs in my garage.   That includes 2017 when I bought my 1966 project car.

Almost got as good a rush flying FPV as taking the cars out for a good drive in the back roads or a karting session at the track.
View Quote

Well...according to many in this thread, definitely a few on this page alone, that kid is a “creeper”.

Funny how clueless people label someone they know nothing about.  I’m willing to bet they’re projecting.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:51:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And blithely ignoring and discounting a real issue is what is going to get drones (and guns) taken away.  Don't point guns or cameras at me or my loved ones in my backyard and we're good.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:51:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Another anti-gun based argument the liberals use: "I have no idea what you're going to use that assault rifle for"
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:57:54 PM EDT
[#47]
OP I'm curious - how did McMansion Karen identify which house the drone came from?   Do you have a neighborhood reputation as the "drone guy"?  
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:58:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Don’t let Butters borrow it
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:02:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

And blithely ignoring and discounting a real issue is what is going to get drones (and guns) taken away.  Don't point guns or cameras at me or my loved ones in my backyard and we're good.
View Quote

And the time is coming where gun laws will be ignored just as much as drone laws.

Oh my 250+g drone needs to be registered?   I will get right on that.  

Just because I do not post videos of flying anymore does not mean I have stopped.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:03:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they are his neighbors, they already know where everyone lives.  No so much for a notorious character on Arfcom.

Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top