Probably spills a lot of coffee, tho.
whats the roll rate, approximately?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great movie, except for the BS of submarines maneuvering like fighter jets. Actually it was worse than that, it was submarines maneuvering the way that Hollywood douchbags imagine fighter jets can maneuver.

It was made before Alec Baldwin went total douchbag, or at least he was not yet in full bloom
Submarines can and do snap roll.

ETA: And there's an advantage to being behind your target, just like in aircraft.
Wow. Did not know that.
Probably spills a lot of coffee, tho.
whats the roll rate, approximately?
I don't have an exact number. I only drove an SSBN and have been out of force for 15 years. You certainly won't stand one on a wing like an aircraft, but a guess of in excess of 10 degrees wouldn't be outrageous.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 11:50:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Production budget would be $200 million and that's mostly just Chris Helmsworth's salary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seconded. That was a hell of a good book.
Production budget would be $200 million and that's mostly just Chris Helmsworth's salary.
Haha. No kidding huh.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 7:38:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
There are quite a few different types. And if they're close enough, you don't need sonar to hear them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
1. The scenes showing the periscope sending Morse code? That was my boat. I was still in Power School when the movie came out though.

2. If you guys knew what sonar really sounded like you'd be disappointed.
What does SONAR really sound like?
There are quite a few different types. And if they're close enough, you don't need sonar to hear them.
I assumed there would be a "noise" of some kind, that's the whole purpose.  But what does it sound like?  Is it loud like we see on the TV movies? Is it more of a "click" type noise?  I'm genuinly curious.   I have a strange facination with submarines, but have never wanted to actually serve on one (I joined the Army, where I could play in the dirt).
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 8:10:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I assumed there would be a "noise" of some kind, that's the whole purpose.  But what does it sound like?  Is it loud like we see on the TV movies? Is it more of a "click" type noise?  I'm genuinly curious.   I have a strange facination with submarines, but have never wanted to actually serve on one (I joined the Army, where I could play in the dirt).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
1. The scenes showing the periscope sending Morse code? That was my boat. I was still in Power School when the movie came out though.

What does SONAR really sound like?
Modern Sonar Sounds and other Sounds of the Sea
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 8:23:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You should hear me watch airplane movies. Especially when movie characters are walking around upright on B deck with lots or room/space around them, I lose my shit.
View Quote
"Oh, it's a big white plain with red stripes and it looks like a big Tylenol!"
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 8:30:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Like this?

Submarine Sonar Sound Effects from Battleship Cove''s USS Lionfish (Video)
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 8:38:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Unless you live alone in a cabin you built by hand 40 years ago in the Alaskan wilderness, this is a fail.
View Quote
I didn't see it when it came out at the theater and I never got around to rent it when it came out on video.
I'll see if its at the local library.

I've seen like a 2 minute snippet of the movie where sone dude says they need to have their sub chase the other sub.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 8:56:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I didn't see it when it came out at the theater and I never got around to rent it when it came out on video.

I've seen like a 2 minute snippet of the movie where sone dude says they need to have their sub chase the other sub.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unless you live alone in a cabin you built by hand 40 years ago in the Alaskan wilderness, this is a fail.

I'd wager Richard Proenneke' seen hunt for red october!
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top