User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 16
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 10:45:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a part time gig delivering pizza.

Do uber.

Do walmart grocery pick up.

All of those might not start tomorrow but most should start soon and get you extra cash.

Or donate plasma.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 10:49:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m wondering how OP is a managing to hold down a 70k a year job with this kind of decision making
View Quote

Work ethic, always getting the job done no matter what. Having a boss who is a good leader and trusting my leader. Earning my leaders trust. Dedication and motivation. Not quitting when others try to hold you down because they are insecure because they fear you will surpass them. Focusing on the bottom line and cutting out excuses. That's how.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 10:50:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
1) Drink a little less and drink cheaper shit. You can't afford top quality stuff for a while.

2) Close out all your debt starting with the highest interest rates first.

3) Find cheaper meals and scrounge for an while on entertainment / pleasure. Rewatch old DVDs. Play an old videogame. Used books are very inexpensive. Find cheaper meals to make that arent totally unhealthy. In America we have access to a lot of relatively inexpensive raw foods.

In the end you will own less stuff living in debt since you are paying interest. It is a source of stress. That said it's a situation that is easily (though not instantaneously) fixable. It's not like you killed a man or did something permanent. Money isn't the end all to life, but you have to have your money affairs in order. Make a plan and in a few years be debt free.
View Quote

Thank you so much.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 10:50:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It was the first time I bought a car on credit. I didn't know any better until I got home and did the math.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/10/2022 10:52:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Get a part time gig delivering pizza.

Do uber.

Do walmart grocery pick up.

All of those might not start tomorrow but most should start soon and get you extra cash.

Or donate plasma.
View Quote

Honestly, I'm hopping on my desk top and applying to lyft right now.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 10:57:18 PM EDT
[#6]
How are you going to drive Lyft in a squatted brodozer?
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 10:57:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Uber, lyft, amazon delivery, part time security guard, and if you're super desperate you could do mechanical turk.

Honestly if you have a 70k job atm, focusing on being better at your job and getting promoted is your best mid/long term bet. Sell some guns if you need food money.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 10:57:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Work ethic, always getting the job done no matter what. Having a boss who is a good leader and trusting my leader. Earning my leaders trust. Dedication and motivation. Not quitting when others try to hold you down because they are insecure because they fear you will surpass them. Focusing on the bottom line and cutting out excuses. That's how.
View Quote

Maybe you should apply some of that to your personal life
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 10:58:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How are you going to drive Lyft in a squatted brodozer?
View Quote

I don't know what that is, but I assume you're talking about a vehicle. I have a 2016 VW passat.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:00:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Maybe you should apply some of that to your personal life
View Quote

Im trying, it's kind of hard because I feel so down and have felt so for months now. But yes, I'm moving forward as best I can.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:01:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry to hear that.  Sell all your shit and pay off the debt.  Then get back after it.  It's only stuff, you can always get more.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:05:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Learn to code?
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:07:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sorry to hear that.  Sell all your shit and pay off the debt.  Then get back after it.  It's only stuff, you can always get more.
View Quote

Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:08:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Stop drinking man
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:09:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Cancel all your subscriptions. Netflix, Amazon, Alcohol of the month club.  If you don't need it to stay alive or get to work, get rid of it
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:27:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Applying to lyft now, the stupid safety video is playing in the background.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:33:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm sitting at home, watching a pearl harbor documentary on Netflix. Not drinking. I think there is a misconception that I drank ALL my money to get me into this situation, not so. It's the debt.
View Quote

Often times the drinking is a very strong cause of the debt.

Lets say you had a little bit of a bender with the $140 in the bar, even if it was only $20 and you do that everyday thats 7300 a year, add in the snacks and tips and now your at 15k... Thats a car right there. Throw in some starbucks and lunch out cause you feel like shit and are lazy the next day and we're up to like 23k... Impulse buys while drunk, mingling with low class shlubs at the bars and falling in love with them...

How often are you drinking and how much? Honestly?
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:35:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Yet you have a team membership and can afford to drink $140 in booze..
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:35:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thanks, I would consider a roommate but geez how to vet someone. Background checks are not enough.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Realistically, you probably need to sell your car and live with a beater for a few years.  It will probably require a bit of work keeping it running, but most stuff can be fixed with a long weekend, a few hundred in parts and some youtube instructions.

Next up is the housing downgrade.  Are you renting?  If so it's time to review your lease restrictions and start shopping for cheaper options or room mates.

Finally you need to consider increasing your income through overtime or a side job.  How old are you?  Guard or reserve duty can bring in some extra money and save a ton on your health insurance outflow.

Thanks, I would consider a roommate but geez how to vet someone. Background checks are not enough.

You go ahead and sell anything if value they might be able to steal so you can pay down your debt and take your chances with a good written agreement and dont be slow on kicking out deadbeats
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:35:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You spent $140 on alcohol and someone else had to buy you groceries? It sounds like your problem is alcohol.

Get some help.
View Quote

The alcohol is just a symptom..  The real problems are childish irresponsibility and piss-poor decision-making ability.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:37:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Rice & beans..., beans & rice.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:37:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Dont give up OP. Cut up the cards and stop drinking is your ticket out. Clear head and focus. You got this!
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:43:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Sounds about right. Thanks.
View Quote

Stop making excuses for yourself, and on. 70k salary you can’t afford a car payment IDK what to say.  You want advice or pitty?  Man up, learn to do some research on shit like financing cars etc.  

And stay the fuck out of bars if you can’t do any better.  Next payday return the $140 to whoever bailed you out and get your shit together.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:48:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Stop making excuses for yourself, and on. 70k salary you can’t afford a car payment IDK what to say.  You want advice or pitty?  Man up, learn to do some research on shit like financing cars etc.  

And stay the fuck out of bars if you can’t do any better.  Next payday return the $140 to whoever bailed you out and get your shit together.
View Quote

Really? That's all you got?
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:48:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The alcohol is just a symptom..  The real problems are childish irresponsibility and piss-poor decision-making ability.
View Quote

Hmm wonder if alcohol has any effect on decision making
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:48:47 PM EDT
[#26]
If you give up drinking in a bar and take up manufacturing your own crystal meth, you'll not only save money but you'll have enough energy to work a second and third job.

Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:49:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If you give up drinking in a bar and take up manufacturing your own crystal meth, you'll not only save money but you'll have enough energy to work a second and third job.

View Quote

Now we're talking
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:51:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Often times the drinking is a very strong cause of the debt.

Lets say you had a little bit of a bender with the $140 in the bar, even if it was only $20 and you do that everyday thats 7300 a year, add in the snacks and tips and now your at 15k... Thats a car right there. Throw in some starbucks and lunch out cause you feel like shit and are lazy the next day and we're up to like 23k... Impulse buys while drunk, mingling with low class shlubs at the bars and falling in love with them...

How often are you drinking and how much? Honestly?
View Quote

Thing is I only started drinking on September 9, 2022. I was sober 5 years before that. I was deep in debt by the time I started drinking. But yes, it adds up and the drunk impulse buying wad defefenitly there.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:51:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Stop drinking man
View Quote

this. i hate to hear guys complain about being broke, but they smoke all day, dip, get drunk, drink starbucks or monsters all day, then talk about being broke. priorities are a thing, getting drunk isn't one of those priorities. just sayin'.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:52:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Dont give up OP. Cut up the cards and stop drinking is your ticket out. Clear head and focus. You got this!
View Quote

Thank you. Yeah I need to cut em up.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:53:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Go thru your house and find the 5 items worth something you have not used in 6 months or more and sell em. If you have not used em in the last 6 months you dont need em, as much as you need cash.
View Quote

The truth. I could have one heck of a yard sale with the shit that has accumulated here over the years.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:53:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Thank you. Yeah I need to cut em up.
View Quote

Seriously...do you need to stop drinking?  Yes or no?  Are you an alcoholic?
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:54:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

this. i hate to hear guys complain about being broke, but they smoke all day, dip, get drunk, drink starbucks or monsters all day, then talk about being broke. priorities are a thing, getting drunk isn't one of those priorities. just sayin'.
View Quote

Oh boy. I only started drinking 9/9/2022 and was already in debt at that time.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:56:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh boy. I only started drinking 9/9/2022 and was already in debt at that time.

But yes, I'm an alcoholic.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:57:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read all of his comments.  He's either trolling or is just a classic garden-variety dipshit.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:57:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Sounds like you need Dave Ramsey's total money makeover. Also stop drinking. Good luck.
View Quote

everyone's hiring
get to fucking work
instead of drinking, pick up a 2nd or 3rd shift job.
I have 4 jobs. why? because i dont want to live check to check any more.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:58:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Read all of his comments.  He's either trolling or is just a classic garden-variety dipshit.
View Quote

Join date post count
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:58:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Really? That's all you got?
View Quote

Stop being defensive. He’s right. You’re pathetic and obviously lack self control. Your impulsiveness got you where you are because you have no self-discipline. You came here looking for a handout, whether financially or pity from others. If you want someone to make you feel good about yourself go watch a hallmark movie. You need a realty check and a wake up call, not sympathy comments. Unfuck yourself. Not our problem if the true hurts that you’ve failed to acknowledge for many years to get yourself to where you are today, nowhere.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:00:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Stop being defensive. He’s right. You’re pathetic and obviously lack self control. Your impulsiveness got you where you are because you have no self-discipline. You came here looking for a handout, whether financially or pity from others. If you want someone to make you feel good about yourself go watch a hallmark movie. You need a realty check and a wake up call, not sympathy comments. Unfuck yourself. Not our problem if the true hurts that you’ve failed to acknowledge for many years to get yourself to where you are today, nowhere.
View Quote

tldr
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:01:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Thing is I only started drinking on September 9, 2022. I was sober 5 years before that. I was deep in debt by the time I started drinking. But yes, it adds up and the drunk impulse buying wad defefenitly there.
View Quote

So where is it all going then? Sure thise interest rates are rough but you cant swing a car on 70k? You need to take a deep dive and analyze every fucking penny thats going out. Fuck another job, lyft is just gonna trash your car faster and barely cover gas. Spend the time to make your budget shop any utilities, phone, insurance, generic tp or a bidet, meal prep for the week etc etc. All those pennies add up

Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:02:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Let's stop shitting on the guy for making poor choices. We've all made poor choices.
I'm not the best with money, but I have one thing going for me, I am a cheap bastard.
I don't buy anything unless it has a practical purpose in my house. I don't collect knick-nacks and pretty things.
I also consider resale value if I buy things.
Guns, tools, guitars, and professional camera equipment all have decent resale value.

Brother, you have things you can sell right now. You won't even notice they are gone.
I have 7 electric guitars, but only three will be with me until the day I die. My first electric guitar given to me by my mother when I turned 13. My Epiphone Les Paul Studio made in the Korean factory in 2005. My Epiphone Dot, a Cherry Red ES-335 clone, made in the Korean factory in 2003. I recently went to guitar center and played an $1800 Les Paul Standard and the fit and finish were shit compared to mine. The other guitars are transitory. I could probably make $200 from selling all four. I paid much less than that for them.
I have three amplifiers. I would keep one, the best one, a 25-watt Fender Mustang. The other two could net me about $100.
I have three acoustic guitars. Only one is a keeper. Sadly, it's the one in the worst condition but it plays and sounds the best. The other ones could get me maybe $100 total.
Now I have $400 from selling stuff I don't need and won't miss. I once took all 7 guitars to the pawn shop. The guy offered me $25 for the lot.

Go through your house and garage. You aren't going to use that Chop Saw you bought to install flooring five years ago. Wipe it down and sell it.
Local Facebook sales groups have been very good to me. People on there even buy the stuff you wouldn't think to even sell. Pots, pans, kitchen appliances, clothes, etc.

Do you have a set of rakes and some garbage bags? Put an ad up on Facebook for leaf raking, $12 an hour. It's quiet and you can even do it in the dark with a headlamp. Take the leaves home and compost them in your backyard. Sell the compost in the spring.

Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:03:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

tldr
View Quote

What a loser. Short enough?
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:03:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Stop drinking man
View Quote

Disagree. Sounds like a fine time to drink.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:04:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

So where is it all going then? Sure thise interest rates are rough but you cant swing a car on 70k? You need to take a deep dive and analyze every fucking penny thats going out. Fuck another job, lyft is just gonna trash your car faster and barely cover gas. Spend the time to make your budget shop any utilities, phone, insurance, generic tp or a bidet, meal prep for the week etc etc. All those pennies add up

View Quote

I would buy things I didn't need. I would use PayPal pay in four to buy things I can't afford. Between the 1200 loan repayment and rent every month, and my credit card payments, bills and living expenses I end up with nothing. I realize my financial mistakes, but man it's going to take a while to get myself out of this. I hope I don't get back in.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:05:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

It just sounds like your typical garden variety living paycheck to paycheck with lots of debt. Not that uncommon. Lots of people have that lifestyle. Obviously OP needs to make sure he has food and all necessities covered before spending everything. That's step one and he knows it. Maybe try to get a better loan for his car or a different car. Lots of people have roommates to save money. I traveled around a lot when I was younger and had many different roommates.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:06:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Do you have a credit card to squeak by on until pay day?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:07:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Let's stop shitting on the guy for making poor choices. We've all made poor choices.
I'm not the best with money, but I have one thing going for me, I am a cheap bastard.
I don't buy anything unless it has a practical purpose in my house. I don't collect knick-nacks and pretty things.
I also consider resale value if I buy things.
Guns, tools, guitars, and professional camera equipment all have decent resale value.

Brother, you have things you can sell right now. You won't even notice they are gone.
I have 7 electric guitars, but only three will be with me until the day I die. My first electric guitar given to me by my mother when I turned 13. My Epiphone Les Paul Studio made in the Korean factory in 2005. My Epiphone Dot, a Cherry Red ES-335 clone, made in the Korean factory in 2003. I recently went to guitar center and played an $1800 Les Paul Standard and the fit and finish were shit compared to mine. The other guitars are transitory. I could probably make $200 from selling all four. I paid much less than that for them.
I have three amplifiers. I would keep one, the best one, a 25-watt Fender Mustang. The other two could net me about $100.
I have three acoustic guitars. Only one is a keeper. Sadly, it's the one in the worst condition but it plays and sounds the best. The other ones could get me maybe $100 total.
Now I have $400 from selling stuff I don't need and won't miss. I once took all 7 guitars to the pawn shop. The guy offered me $25 for the lot.

Go through your house and garage. You aren't going to use that Chop Saw you bought to install flooring five years ago. Wipe it down and sell it.
Local Facebook sales groups have been very good to me. People on there even buy the stuff you wouldn't think to even sell. Pots, pans, kitchen appliances, clothes, etc.

Do you have a set of rakes and some garbage bags? Put an ad up on Facebook for leaf raking, $12 an hour. It's quiet and you can even do it in the dark with a headlamp. Take the leaves home and compost them in your backyard. Sell the compost in the spring.

View Quote

Fuk man, thanks for the mercy. I have an AR I'm going to have to let go of.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:07:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Is this the same guy that buys water in a box?
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:08:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Why'd you spend that much at the bar? I could get absolutely ripped at the vfw for like 45$.
View Quote

I just want to acknowledge your use of “ripped” to describe getting drunk.

Haven’t heard that since high school (89-93), Gen xer.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:08:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Join date post count
View Quote

Quoted:

tldr
View Quote

So...garden-variety dipshit it is.
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top