Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/22/2021 10:40:28 AM EDT
I know that it has been thing for a while now, but still don’t understand why.

Is it because you want to build a sleeper.  Everyone thinks it’s just a crappy rust bucket, but you fool them?

Or is it just because the vehicle is too far gone to really restore?

What’s the deal?  Why would you preserve rust if there was any possible way to fix it?
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:41:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Runs good.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:42:28 AM EDT
[#2]
There are lots of trends in car culture that are retared, "patina" and rat rods are just another example.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:44:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Rust and patina are two different things.

Rust is actually destroying the metal itself and pitting it. Making it weaker.

Patina is more a surface discoloration.

Rust is destroying the metal, patina is not.

Rust = neglect
Patina = well loved

Now fake patina is lame. Just like buying pre ripped jeans.

Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:45:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Fake patina aside, real patina is pretty cool when you look at things like old race cars and such, sometimes it tells a story
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:45:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Patina can be a protective coating and offer a unique look, or it can just be an unfinished surface left to the elements.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:46:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Half the patina I see lately is actually paint not patina.  Kind of impressive from a skill of the painter standpoint, but it seems kind of silly to me.

Whatever floats your boat though.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:46:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Rust is actually corrosion destroying the metal itself and pitting it. Making it weaker.

Rust = neglect
Patina = well loved

View Quote
Lol, no.  It's all corrosion.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:47:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Marketing is all it is.

You sell shit if you name it something other than shit. Hell, there is even a market for shit, but it's not as big and you can't get the same money for it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Fake patina aside, real patina is pretty cool when you look at things like old race cars and such, sometimes it tells a story
View Quote

This.
And that it is unrestored, a survivor if you will
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:47:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Rust and patina aren't the same thing.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:47:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:47:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Real patina is worth a lot of money to quite a few people
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Prepping and painting a car is a lot of work or very expensive.

Some cars would also be worth more original with some patina than they would restored.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:48:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Patina is not necessarily rust.

A great deal of patina is just dirt and grime accumulated on the surface of an object.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:48:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Seen guys on TV clear coat over the rust.

Not my thing but if it makes you happy. Id rather have a nice paint job on a straight body.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:52:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rust is actually corrosion destroying the metal itself and pitting it. Making it weaker.

Rust = neglect
Patina = well loved

Youre right, haven't had my coffee yet and was thinking oxidation/corrosion.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:57:20 AM EDT
[#17]
1954 DeSoto Powermaster Wagon ICON Derelict

Pretty cool stuff
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:57:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rust = neglect
Patina = well loved

Exactly, it is all neglect. Same in firearms, at some point neglect becomes “patina”
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:57:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Real patina is the result of age and can't be replicated well. Artificial aging can be attempted but it's never quite the same.

Which one looks more interesting, new or an Iraq war contractor bring back.

Sure you can throw the new one down the driveway a few times, but it'll never quite look right if you're trying to replicate the patina that comes from actual use.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:59:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Lol at people that will clean off patina on historical items
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:02:39 AM EDT
[#21]
It's only original once. The patina thing is a thing for folks who like to preserve an old original finish.

<<<<See avatar

Faux patina is just wrong.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:07:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Pretty much another name for excessive wear. Same for the term 'honest wear' I hear on occasion.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:08:27 AM EDT
[#23]
It’s only original once.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:12:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Real patina is the result of age and can't be replicated well. Artificial aging can be attempted but it's never quite the same.

https://www.snipercountry.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/The-4-Best-AR-15-Carry-Handles.jpg

https://images.gunsinternational.com/listings_sub/acc_5589/gi_100885564/DPMS-Iraqi-Contractor-Rifles-Bring-Back_100885564_5589_571B25A3AE64C6A9.JPG

Sure you can throw the new one down the driveway a few times, but it'll never quite look right if you're trying to replicate the patina that comes from actual use.
View Quote

Wear on the deflector is pretty far off, among other things.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:19:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

https://www.snipercountry.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/The-4-Best-AR-15-Carry-Handles.jpg

https://images.gunsinternational.com/listings_sub/acc_5589/gi_100885564/DPMS-Iraqi-Contractor-Rifles-Bring-Back_100885564_5589_571B25A3AE64C6A9.JPG

View Quote

That makes sense to me and is a good explanation, but often it is in a car with all new running gear and a modern motor.

I understand historical items, but these aren’t that, or at least most I see aren’t.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:21:07 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm involved with show cars.

Seen plenty of patina and rat rod entries.

While I appreciate the work that goes into
preservation and mechanical ingenuity,
it's not my cup of tea.

87% of those owners I see look like they huffed
brake cleaner for a hobby.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:21:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Keeping patina is garbage. Especially on cars, paint that mother.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:23:39 AM EDT
[#28]
You call it rust when you are buying the car.

You call it patina when you are selling the car.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:24:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

People that dont get it hate it.  I guess if it not their car why should the care.

I guess they are the oppinionated karens of the car world.  

Most of them dont have the creativity to build a car.. Much less a rat rod or a resto mod.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:27:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
There are lots of trends in car culture that are retared, "patina" and rat rods are just another example.
View Quote
There is still a lot of money in the rat rod business in some areas.

Fake patina is like a chick with a dick.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:28:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Keeping patina is garbage. Especially on cars, paint that mother.
View Quote

If I’m spending $10k on this car it’s not going to be a new paint job. Maybe when everything else
Is done but until then I’ll embrace the trend.

Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:29:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

People that dont get it hate it.  I guess if it not their car why should the care.

Most of them dont have the creativity to build a car.. Much less a rat rod or a resto mod.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s possible to not care what someone does and also not understand why they do it.

I also don’t understand why people collect fidget spinners, but I don’t care that they do.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:29:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. The list is long but I think fake rust is better than Carolina Squat, extreme camber, donk, and other shit that makes your car less drivable.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:30:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Of course, the cost of a really good paint job and the underlying bodywork to support it might have something to do with it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:32:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Increases horsepower and 1/4 mile times by 87%.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:33:33 AM EDT
[#36]
I've driven shitty rusty old cars for much of my life.  I don't see the appeal of painting fake rust then spraying the whole thing in high gloss clearcoat...
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:35:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think it's a fundamental misunderstanding of what the word means and how it pertains to old things
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:36:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It’s possible to not care what someone does and also not understand why they do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its also possible to not understand why someone doesnt understand enough to care about it.  I mean someone must care enough to complain that they dont understand it.

Welcome to life.  Different people do different thing.  Some people like what you dont like.  

Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:37:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur & Porsche Classic Present: Patina Paint To Sample\u200b
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:38:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That makes sense to me and is a good explanation, but often it is in a car with all new running gear and a modern motor.

I understand historical items, but these aren’t that, or at least most I see aren’t.
View Quote

There's a pretty broad spectrum, Historical provenance is the easiest to get, and the range goes from a historically significant kept in as original condition as possible, somestime it's beat to shit but still too valuable in it's condition to "restore"

Then there's the "field wear" if it's all original condition and running that's "better" than the fixed up old body. Which is kind of next in the sequence, basically the body finish is retained. I think some of this got the start from guys that rat rodded field finds, and were showing the progress with new running gear but were basically in the middle of the project.  To many it looks cool enough, and the naturally worn finish on an otherwise straight body is interesting and almost impossible to replicate properly, so it became it's own thing.

Of course with the popularity of natural patina on a rat rod, it became a thing to try to replicate, and then guys were artificially aging whole new builds for that "look", that's getting into deliberately throwing it down the driveway to get that worn look territory, and it's the lesser of the whole above continuum.

Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:39:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I think it's a fundamental misunderstanding of what the word means and how it pertains to old things
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People ask all the time about the f100.  I tell them I planned to do a full restore and paint.  But I liked the way it started coming together and left it as it was.
Believe me hundreds of hours of body work went into it too.
One day it might get a full body job and paint. But for now it gonna be the way it is.

Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:40:34 AM EDT
[#42]

Patina shows the provenance of a sculpture or other artwork by encoding the authentic aging of the surface treatments.

Picasso used to have his grandchildren pee on his outdoor bronzes to get a nice patina going.

Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:40:48 AM EDT
[#43]
In the vehicle trade it's just another trend. With antiques, you never polish or restore until you have a solid appraisal from a SME in that particular medium. You can scrub away hundreds of thousands of dollars of value...and many well meaning people have.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:42:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Its also possible to not understand why someone doesnt understand enough to care about it.  I mean someone must care enough to complain that they dont understand it.

Welcome to life.  Different people do different thing.  Some people like what you dont like.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think that the explanation above about the Iraq war contractor bring back is a good one.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:42:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Patina should be almost entirely aesthetic aging. Maybe some small surface rust but rust and patina are two different animals.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:43:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I know that it has been thing for a while now, but still don’t understand why.

Is it because you want to build a sleeper.  Everyone thinks it’s just a crappy rust bucket, but you fool them?

Or is it just because the vehicle is too far gone to really restore?

What’s the deal?  Why would you preserve rust if there was any possible way to fix it?
View Quote

All of the above.  The really amusing ones are either clearcoated over the rust/wear, or even better painted to look that way after repairing it.  They are the Farbs of the scene.

A historic, rare, unaltered survivor with original paint?  Sure, leave it original.  That falls in the same basket as refinishing an antique/historical firearm, and can actually lower it's value.

A common rusted-ass 4 door cow pasture special?  Even with a 5-figure World of Wheels paint job on it, it's worth 1/4 of what you spent to do it.  Have fun with it and don't go bankrupt polishing a turd.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:44:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
In the vehicle trade it's just another trend. With antiques, you never polish or restore until you have a solid appraisal from a SME in that particular medium. You can scrub away hundreds of thousands of dollars of value...and many well meaning people have.
View Quote

This, seen it many times on "restored" cars, especially what's called over restored cars, sometimes ruining something old by making it much better than original
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:45:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's not so much patina as it is wear.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:49:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, but some are protective, such as oxidation on aluminum which forms a protective skin vs rust on steel or iron that continues to permeate and destroy the structural integrity of the metal.

Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:55:59 AM EDT
[#50]
I drive a "patina" truck. Its wear is all honest to goodness use. I purposefully bought the roughest running and driving FJ40 I could find.  I actually wanted to keep using it as intended, and not some coffee grabbing status symbol.

It was a GA farm truck for years, and it now sports a 5.3 LS and is my DD. Love it every day honestly. I intend to do a full resto at some point, but I honestly beat the snot out of it on the weekends and it just keeps on ticking. I leave the "patina" because I've only been adding to it and I don't care to restore it just to not be able to use it.

I admit I'm probably the minority in that regard.

Attachment Attached File

ETA: see that bent in radiator? That's from a full rollover, it doesn't even leak.. Replaced the roll bar and windshield and kept driving.

Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top