BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 3:57:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 4:33:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes! ACTS is still going strong in Michigan. Monthly matches and a two day championship match in September.
For those that do not know ACTS hosts 2 gun matches with what I would call a practical rule set.

Did IDPA change the rule against appendix carry? Its really the only reason I don't shoot IDPA.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Exactly, IDPA has managed to still be a sport where you can show up with your CCW piece and find out how well you shoot. The cover rules are antiquated, retaining the magazines is stupid, but in a lot of ways it has more utility than USPSA, which might as well be golf for as much as stages have to do with any sort of defensive concept. I used to love 3 Gun, but once people started gluing shotgun shells together... The sport suddenly became more about running an antiquated platform than it did improving your relevant pistol and rifle skills. It happens to all "action" shooting sports eventually.
Big shout out to ACTS, if that is still going on out in Michigan.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/31/2023 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Everyone in this thread gets a Failure to Do Right because I don't like the way you did it.
View Quote

God DAMNIT!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 4:50:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yes! ACTS is still going strong in Michigan. Monthly matches and a two day championship match in September.
For those that do not know ACTS hosts 2 gun matches with what I would call a practical rule set.

Did IDPA change the rule against appendix carry? Its really the only reason I don't shoot IDPA.

View Quote

Yeah. After Joyce turned the Cunt-O-Meter to 11 and banned some dudes who ran a match that way in NFC, they relented. I want to say less than a year ago.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 4:57:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I helped run matches at a Club in FL and finally had enough. Some good guys to be sure ut way too many retards that showed up to the match blowing booze from the night before, wearing flip flops or what have you.  It was entertaining to DQ someone for smelling like alcohol…

I like the concept and was privy to all of this when it was being developed. I know Larry well and Ken Hackathorne fairly well. We shot some of the qualifiers back in the early '90s to work the times and some other stuff. I was thinking af starting a club up here in TN but I'm not sure I have tolerance any more for the shit you have to put up with….for some reason IDPA seems to bring out some weirdos. That was never the intention but it seems to have panned out that way….
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 5:25:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I helped run matches at a Club in FL and finally had enough. Some good guys to be sure ut way too many retards that showed up to the match blowing booze from the night before, wearing flip flops or what have you.  It was entertaining to DQ someone for smelling like alcohol…

I like the concept and was privy to all of this when it was being developed. I know Larry well and Ken Hackathorne fairly well. We shot some of the qualifiers back in the early '90s to work the times and some other stuff. I was thinking af starting a club up here in TN but I'm not sure I have tolerance any more for the shit you have to put up with….for some reason IDPA seems to bring out some weirdos. That was never the intention but it seems to have panned out that way….
View Quote

boo this man.  Showing up massively hungover to matches is the only way for people to replicate the conditions of shopping in a local mall or grocery store.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 5:28:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Everyone in this thread gets a Failure to Do Right because I don't like the way you did it.
View Quote

Promise I'll be more Tacticool next time
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Found ACTS.  I love it when this dude pulls an M1A out of the car!  Turns cover into concealment
ACTS Match - May '08 - Stage I

It seems like whatever organization that adopts a solid 2-Gun format is going to have the best growth.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 5:48:12 PM EDT
[#9]
All shooting games are just that.
Games.
If you think shooting a game with rules is training for a gun fight where the only rule is "no rules", well...
Okay
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 5:54:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Games.
If you think shooting a game with rules is training for a gun fight where the only rule is "no rules", well...
Okay
View Quote

Your post is juvenile and uninformed.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 6:10:32 PM EDT
[#11]
My biggest problem with shooting sports has nothing to do with rules or race guns. Problem is when I had the time I didn’t have disposable income now that I have disposable income I don’t have the time.

Some of it looks fun, the early days of three gun looked like a blast.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 6:12:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Games.
Okay
View Quote

Found the guy that got disqualified or can’t break bottom 10% at his local matches.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 6:29:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 7:19:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Found the guy that got disqualified or can’t break bottom 10% at his local matches.
View Quote

Muh weaver stance !

Link Posted: 1/31/2023 7:56:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Quite the contrary actually...

I never thought my PPC,IPSC, USPSA, 3-Gun or any other run and gun game could be seen as "training" for an armed encounter.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 7:59:54 PM EDT
[#16]
The "mall" rule is kinda

The other rule makes total sense. They don't want their sport to NASCAR itself.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 8:06:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Muh weaver stance !

View Quote

I like weaver.

Link Posted: 1/31/2023 8:07:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Games.
Okay
View Quote
Actually...there are rules called laws. Being able to understand them clearly and apply them under extreme psychological pressure in very compressed time frames with penalties for wild shooting is paramount to surviving physically, emotionally, financially and legally.
"Games" underpin every aspect of human development because our minds create a huge abstract world that we live in. All training, but especially firearms training, is very abstract from reality due to the dangers and constraints they impose. FOF is often touted as "realistic" training. Even if well run(and that's rare), it's easily invalidated or rendered irrelevant by focusing on the wrong skills to test. Because it's so expensive and difficult to administer it can only ever be a test, not training, or more importantly practice.
At any rate very few people have access to the type of moving and shooting afforded by the shooting games. Even fewer understand training enough to move beyond raising their gun and shooting as tight a group as possible under no time pressure. Worse, they do the same thing over and over without variation. This is like adding up the same 3 digit numbers over and over. It's tough the first few times, but then it's a rote exercise.
USPSA/IDPA requires you to practice skills to a level of automaticity and then apply them on stages you didn't set up to cater to your strengths, with varying conditions of range, target difficulty and number...under the pressures of both time and no do-overs. That run is your score.
There is a timer in every fight. It starts when you decide to resist, and then it runs simultaneously with your opponent's.
A gunfight is a zero-sum time competition, where every fraction of a second you don't seize is available to your opponent to cripple or kill the innocent.
Executing a series of skills, without warmup and with only one chance, under conditions you didn't pick, on a merciless clock and in front of God and everybody...is orders of magnitude more "real" than any military or police training I attended for more than 3 and a half decades, any class I paid for from nationally known trainers, or any practice I did until I learned how to practice using USPSA methods.

Link Posted: 1/31/2023 8:09:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

boo this man.  Showing up massively hungover to matches is the only way for people to replicate the conditions of shopping in a local mall or grocery store.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Train like you fight
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 8:12:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Found ACTS.  I love it when this dude pulls an M1A out of the car!  Turns cover into concealment https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ANoCFvBGyo

It seems like whatever organization that adopts a solid 2-Gun format is going to have the best growth.
View Quote

Reloading a hot pistol. Been the biggest no-no to avoid liability at the places I compete around NoVA since a dentist blew his calf off his leg hot holstering while kneeling back in 2012.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

BIG BOY RULES!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 8:46:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

BIG BOY RULES!!!!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BIG BOY RULES!!!!!!

Like the cops who get disqualified for breaking the 180. Their claim is always ‘that’s from X years of police range training’. Deal with the mental constraints or don’t. If you don’t you’ll be asked to leave.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 8:47:52 PM EDT
[#23]
It seems like the time is right for a new 2 gun organization, with rules that would allow the guy trying to keep up his skill set AND the gamer to compete side by side....
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 8:49:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I like weaver.

View Quote

"Found the guy that got disqualified or can’t break bottom 10% at his local matches."

Link Posted: 1/31/2023 8:53:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It seems like the time is right for a new 2 gun organization, with rules that would allow the guy trying to keep up his skill set AND the gamer to compete side by side....
View Quote

https://www.pcsleague.com/
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 8:54:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Games.
Okay
View Quote
You can't even buy a handgun, opinion irrelevant.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 8:55:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The "mall" rule is kinda

The other rule makes total sense. They don't want their sport to NASCAR itself.
View Quote
If I need to blend into a mall.... I'm going straight late 1980s.

Link Posted: 1/31/2023 8:56:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I never thought my PPC,IPSC, USPSA, 3-Gun or any other run and gun game could be seen as "training" for an armed encounter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Found the guy that got disqualified or can't break bottom 10% at his local matches.

Yes, because training at the bleeding edge of human ability in gun handling and marksmanship doesn't in any way prepare you for a defensive encounter.

Matches are not training, they're testing that you did your homework.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 8:58:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

US Carbine Association tried a run 8ish years ago, but they had too much USPSA type scoring on paper and that was a pain. I’m a fan of the FN ‘1 A or 2 anywhere’ scoring as it’s faster to score and easier to not fuck up on a Nook. They also cucked to some NRA requested stage design stuff like no shooting from vehicles and such. Or was that another gig at PNTC that tried to get 2 gun going? Can’t remember.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 8:59:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

"Found the guy that got disqualified or can't break bottom 10% at his local matches."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like weaver.

"Found the guy that got disqualified or can't break bottom 10% at his local matches."

Bottom 10%? Damn man, you're making it sound like I got some skill!
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 9:00:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Bottom 10%? Damn man, you're making it sound like I got some skill!
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/31/2023 9:03:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

US Carbine Association tried a run 8ish years ago, but they had too much USPSA type scoring on paper and that was a pain. I’m a fan of the FN ‘1 A or 2 anywhere’ scoring as it’s faster to score and easier to not fuck up on a Nook. They also cucked to some NRA requested stage design stuff like no shooting from vehicles and such. Or was that another gig at PNTC that tried to get 2 gun going? Can’t remember.
View Quote

I've shot the PCSL 2-gun championship match and it ran very smoothly.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 9:11:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know. I’m hoping a standard for 2G can take hold similar to how the FNH 3G rule book seems to be used all over at least the East Coast matches in the 2010s
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 9:13:25 PM EDT
[#34]
you must show up with your gear and gun already on you and loaded and leave that way, you have to keep your clothes as they were as you get out, shoot the entire match, and hop in to leave too...no changing/adding garments.

and run it hot range, no drawing until BEEP, no safe tables, change mags while holstered.

and for christ sakes go take your stupid ass pcc somewhere else... thats "the dude in womens sports".
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 9:15:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Games.
Okay
View Quote

well you cant even legally use a concealed handgun to defend yourself so what would you know?
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 9:49:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. I think I’m going to bring this to my range in 2023.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 9:51:24 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

That’s the specific windbreaker mentioned in the rules.

I’ll take two!
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 9:53:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Now with PractiScore hit factor scoring is all done for you.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 10:16:52 PM EDT
[#39]
You know how in diving (and gymnastics) they have degree of difficulties to multiply your score based on how easy or hard the dive was.  so everyone can do their own sequence of dives yet get compared fairly.

How could we apply that to IDPA?  Cause then you could open it up to every caliber-PF / gun size / holster features / garmint type / mag capacity / carry position / optic / comp could be weighed indivually, summed together, and a "degree of difficulty" factor applied to your time.

No need for divisions at that point.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 10:57:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You know how in diving (and gymnastics) they have degree of difficulties to multiply your score based on how easy or hard the dive was.  so everyone can do their own sequence of dives yet get compared fairly.

How could we apply that to IDPA?  Cause then you could open it up to every caliber-PF / gun size / holster features / garmint type / mag capacity / carry position / optic / comp could be weighed indivually, summed together, and a "degree of difficulty" factor applied to your time.

No need for divisions at that point.
View Quote

Yeah.

That doesn’t sound like a complete shitshow at all.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 10:59:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Good to know. I’m hoping a standard for 2G can take hold similar to how the FNH 3G rule book seems to be used all over at least the East Coast matches in the 2010s
View Quote

Two biggest things that I've noticed about PCSL:

1. Easy equipment rules. You're either Practical (i.e. Factory) or Competition (i.e. Open). There are no optics limitations in either so if you want to run an offset in Practical, you can. If you want to run a dot on your pistol in Practical, you can.  Common sense stuff.

2. Longest rifle shot is 200Y. Most guys can't shoot long range targets on the clock due to their ammo or skill level.  And it really just slows down the match a lot anyways. Common sense stuff.

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 1:40:37 AM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

My 80s bro, my man!
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 1:56:27 AM EDT
[#43]
I have my cover garment picked out.

This is proper mall attire,.correct?
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:55:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Train like you fight
View Quote

came to post this. I was sitting down with a nice glass of whiskey when my next door neighbor started the active shooter timer in my yard
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top