Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Its probably for the best being that the "high level managers" are going to replaced soon to facilitate diversity and equity in the military.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:51:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I was working on a security clearance 20 years ago on a new older E-6 who just came to the unit. I was reading through it looking for things that might kick it back. So his military history had a few date gaps and I called him to verify and fix them. Well turns out he was an O-6 SF and former BN CDR of the unit. Some team guy lost a radio and he took the fall. He could come back as an E-6 and finish out his last year to retire.

Enjoy the rest of your career, sometimes there’s nothing like being a soldier and dealing with soldiers.  Then sometimes things really suck.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:53:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:55:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
...based on interactions with the Army Majors I know, jobs at that rank really really suck with a few exceptions that prove the rule.
View Quote

That's quite true for most areas. There are great jobs at the O3 level, but almost none of them at the O4 level. Great ones return at the O5 and O6 level, but they are more and more competitive and there is an even-higher percentage of bad jobs one could get stuck in. If everything tracks perfectly, you pay some dues at O4 for great jobs at O3, O5, and O6. If things are less than perfect, there isn't much joy after Captain.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:57:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow dude! Your still around. I haven’t heard from you in years. Was wondering the other day.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:57:57 AM EDT
[#6]
The military needs competent leaders
Good on ya
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:02:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Becoming a warrant is a good idea, no body screws with them. I know what you mean by the further up in rank the less you are close to those that actually do and can lead them.

Even though I probably won't be on the front line ever again at my rank, being able to tell everyone to get the fuck out so I can be left alone is nice.
View Quote

And that's why E4s and WOs in my AV unit got along so well. Hell we all were known to each other on a first name basis.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:04:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe OP will get to work alongside the sorority sister Corporal with two (2) Moms.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:06:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Hahaha, yeah it sometimes seems that way, right?

Here's how it breaks down. And I dont' think any of the former GOs or O6s we have here would disagree with me. The top guys, the Dick Winterses of the world, they are too good to stay in the Army. It's just how it is. The inefficiency, the politics, whatever - they can't handle it. Guys that I was a Captain with have gone on to Harvard, MIT, med school, other agencies, making literally double the money starting out in corporate America. The really terrible guys, they CAN'T stay in. They get in trouble, they lie, they have bad ratings, and they are politely asked to leave.

The leadership most of us see in the service are really the mid level guys. The guys who are pretty okay at what they do.

And because in my heart I have some officer in me, I drew a powerpoint slide to illustrate
https://i.imgur.com/k6ING3ul.jpg
View Quote

Is that DUI, domestic issues, and GONORRHEA?

Yikes...
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:06:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Congratulations.  That’s an interesting situation, and I hope it works out great!  

How common is that?  Do you know of anyone else who has done the same?
View Quote

My partner at work hit his MRD as an 0-5 a year ago and he’s actively trying to go back in as a warrant now. Same thing for one of our other coworkers who was an 0-6 and he’s now happily flying Blackhawks as a warrant

(Sorry didn’t mean to derail the OPs AMA thread on that)
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:08:46 PM EDT
[#11]
That’s pretty fucking cool, congrats.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:10:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Cool.  Man of conviction, doing what he wants.  Congrats.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:12:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What's your MOS? SF?
View Quote

Yes, I am pretty sure he is an 18 series.

Reverting in aviation is not that uncommon.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:21:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I think that promotion away from what you love and are good at happens in lots of organizations. When I was a prosecutor, the reward for being a badass jury trial machine was promotion to Division Chief - a move from 95% trial and trial preparation to 95% administration, 4% ass-kissing, and 1% trial work. I declined the promotion and they eventually created a new category with the style and dignity of Division Chief but no administrative responsibilities.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:39:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've seen it personally several times in the Guard, mostly from commissioned officer to warrant officer, but also twice from commissioned officer to NCO. One ended up the 1SG in the company he'd been the commander of years before, which was interesting...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've seen it personally several times in the Guard, mostly from commissioned officer to warrant officer, but also twice from commissioned officer to NCO. One ended up the 1SG in the company he'd been the commander of years before, which was interesting...

Holy shit, I bet that was interesting
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:49:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Wow dude! Your still around. I haven’t heard from you in years. Was wondering the other day.
View Quote

Good to see you man!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#17]
This is a very interesting topic.  My brother retired from the canoe club at O-6 because (among other things) he didn't want to get sucked into the political world of flag rank, and likely be forced to live in the DC area.  He's happily retired in a rural place now.

I did not know that an officer could resign his or her commission and switch tracks to WO.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:55:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Congrats, do you have to go to WO school now?
View Quote

this ive considered
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:02:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I knew an Army Reservist E6 who had been the commander as a CWO (2 or 3, not sure) of his unit. Liked the unit and the people, didn't like the levels above him. Funny part is the new commander had been an E5 in that same unit.

They seem to return to the physical realm at Command Chief; I saw mine a bunch of times. I think below that they're permanently "advanced party" (read: fishing) with SGMs.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:02:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Good luck on the new path.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:04:13 PM EDT
[#21]
So what now?

They send you to basic and make you an E-1?
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:07:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Thank you for your service!!!

I had a Capt. who got passed over for Maj several times, he resigned his commission too, became a Gunny to finish out his 20...

Other Marines used to look at us like when we would "Sir" him out of habit.

Oh well, carry on and carry forward.

Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:12:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Don't understand the move. But going down to a warrant?? why not an E-8 or E-9 ? are you you going to keep you pay base on your old rank? It looks like an ass backwards move. Oh! and don't expect any promotions, real soon.
View Quote

e8 and e9 dont lead troops either they technically are enlisted advisors to commanders. if not command or 1SG MSGs/SGMs  work mostly in the TOCs I'm sure some E-8 or E9 here is going to get all butt hurt. rocks need painted and PT belts  yo

a wo1 technically outranks a E9. You should see a maintenance warrant get into it with a command
sergeant major...lol
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:14:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
WO1
View Quote

180A is my personal fav
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:15:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:17:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Close friend of mine from 3rd div USMC resigned his commission but left the military. He branched over Army but didn’t like it call, got his MBA turned down an FBI recruitment offer
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Congratulations! How will they reverse the field grade lobotomy?
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:34:15 PM EDT
[#28]
I still remember you as an Lt on a certain Bacon related forum.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:35:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That's quite true for most areas. There are great jobs at the O3 level, but almost none of them at the O4 level. Great ones return at the O5 and O6 level, but they are more and more competitive and there is an even-higher percentage of bad jobs one could get stuck in. If everything tracks perfectly, you pay some dues at O4 for great jobs at O3, O5, and O6. If things are less than perfect, there isn't much joy after Captain.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
...based on interactions with the Army Majors I know, jobs at that rank really really suck with a few exceptions that prove the rule.

black ranks are the fun ranks..lol
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:36:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Good luck to you, that is a big hit on your pay.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:38:02 PM EDT
[#31]
When you're in a machine, ain't nobody looking out for what's good for you except you.

Well done man.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:43:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Is that first photo OP Shilo?
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:48:43 PM EDT
[#33]
I don’t know whether to shake my head or applaud you.

Don’t get me wrong, I completely understand - being a field grade sucks, but the Army needs exactly those kind of Majors and LTCs. They’re the ones that help keep the BS in check and create those safety nets that help keep planning timely and realistic for the line units.

Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:48:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Hopefully you spent three years at your O rank. You’ll be fine when you retire.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I was working on a security clearance 20 years ago on a new older E-6 who just came to the unit. I was reading through it looking for things that might kick it back. So his military history had a few date gaps and I called him to verify and fix them. Well turns out he was an O-6 SF and former BN CDR of the unit. Some team guy lost a radio and he took the fall. He could come back as an E-6 and finish out his last year to retire.

Enjoy the rest of your career, sometimes there’s nothing like being a soldier and dealing with soldiers.  Then sometimes things really suck.
View Quote

WTF, over a radio, I must assume it was loss of crypto??
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:50:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 2:15:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Satcom..,early 90’s maybe LST-5 but older and it was loaded. They left it in the back of a pickup truck at a motel.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 2:35:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Aren't retirement benefits calculated using highest rank held?
View Quote

Last 3 years basic pay.

Or a new convoluted system.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 3:14:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Satcom..,early 90’s maybe LST-5 but older and it was loaded. They left it in the back of a pickup truck at a motel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oof, I remember the look on my sirs face when our RO said he misplaced our cyz10's cik key. Glad we found it in the dirt by our humvee.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 3:18:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
WO1
View Quote

You didn't get "save pay"?

I know in AV world when a O gets "promoted" and becomes a WO, they get paid the difference between the two until their new pay catches up.

I know of CW2s drawing the equivalent to O4 pay.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 4:38:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Congrats, do you have to go to WO school now?
View Quote

Typically, O-grade to Warrant can skip WOCS and go right to WOBC.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You didn't get "save pay"?

I know in AV world when a O gets "promoted" and becomes a WO, they get paid the difference between the two until their new pay catches up.

I know of CW2s drawing the equivalent to O4 pay.
View Quote

I just graduated WOC, and I go to regular WO1 pay with my time served. Aviation must have a system in place that makes up for lost pay, but no such luck for us soft skill nerds. For me it was a pretty steep cut.

It's unusual, but not unheard of. Statistically, my branch has 3-4 officers (usually captains) resign their commission but stay in the service each year.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 5:05:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Were you a major, oberstleutnant, oberst?
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 5:15:21 PM EDT
[#44]
You should've pushed for a new O/W pay rate like the E/O, LOL!

I stalled at O4 through retirement (USAFR), but retained my Scientist AFSC and got to do a job I liked, and contributed where I was good (or at least competent!).  Good for you!
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 5:25:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Were you a major, oberstleutnant, oberst?
View Quote

I was a major. I was rated pretty well, checking all the right boxes, but I legitimately did not enjoy my job.

I started this process a couple years ago, paperwork was initially denied and I had to have a sit-down with a 2 star as to why I was asking to do this. After explaining my reasons, he allowed it. His logic for denying it the first time was sound, "you think we don't all want to be back on a team throwing hand grenades and running commandos? This is where the Army needs you."

Link Posted: 5/14/2021 5:29:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Congrats.  Glad to see you're still here.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 5:57:34 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm happy for you, Steve. You know me, we watched The Sand Pebbles a few weeks before we shipped out.

Glad to hear you're still doing well.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 5:59:49 PM EDT
[#48]
There's no price to out on sanity, OP.

Good call, and best of luck.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 6:02:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Hell Yeaaaaa!!!

Link Posted: 5/14/2021 6:02:32 PM EDT
[#50]
When my brother went to his first unit he had a Sargeant Major who was a Full Birdie. When Clintoon  downsized the Army in the Early 90's he did what you did to be able to stay in.

You gotta do you, and what is right for you. Nothing in life is without consequences.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top