Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:58:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Some folks complain about the fighting in Hockey.  It would be VERY easy to end the fighting if the league really wanted to:

1.  If any player assaults another player with his stick, hands, or body (other than legal checking), or if another player fights back against any assault, guilty players will be suspended for ten games, with a concurrent loss of pay.  This will only apply to the first offense during a player's career.

2.  For the second offense, a player will be suspended for one year from the date of the offense with concurrent loss of pay.

3.  For the third offense, a player will be immediately receive a lifetime ban from the league with concurrent loss of all pay for the remainder of his contract.

See, fighting in hockey would be ended within a very short period of time.  Players who cannot, or will not control their anger would know that their career and livelihood depended on maintaining self control, and a choice to fight would have consequences.

ETA:  Or the league could just admit that they want to maintain fighting in the game and remove any penalties for fighting.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:04:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#3]
So you want to take a gay boomer sport and make it more gay. I still think only gays boomers will care.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:30:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Dying? LOL

Both NFL and NCAA football viewership were up for the 2023 season.   Took a whole 5 seconds to Google that.

Any other factually incorrect suggestions to share?  What type clouds do you like to yell at?  When was the last time loosened your tin foil hat?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:35:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is a problem with your theory. With the exception of baseball the other sports are more popular than they have ever been.
View Quote

Professional football fans/attendance declined from 2019 to 2021.   It has bumped up some since COVID pandemic ended.

But the real  issue is that its popularity is steadily declining among younger people.  Especially kids

If the trend continues professional football may be a niche sport in 50 years.  A former shadow of itself

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
But I don't want to revive it.
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:38:09 PM EDT
[#7]
If I cared about it I might have an opinion.  But I don't so I don't.

If sportsball relied on people like me for income, they'd all be making minimum wage and would be on EBT and Section 8 housing.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:39:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't care
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:44:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Find something better to do with your time.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:45:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Didn't you read the OP?  It is obvious that professional sports are failing, and such a statement doesn't need pesky facts and numbers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
NFL revenue has been monotonically increasing for 20 years.  EPL revenue is almost always positive, YOY for that period. Likewise MLB (until Covid, now mostly recovered).  NHL? Nope, healthy and doing well.

“Sportsball” people are sad (and delusional).  Sorry the jocks got the pretty girls and you didn’t…

Didn't you read the OP?  It is obvious that professional sports are failing, and such a statement doesn't need pesky facts and numbers.

There’s no denying it, LOL
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:46:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There's no denying sportsball is dying.
View Quote
LoL no it's not. "Denied."

Don't need to read the rest.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:46:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's not the athleticism that's making people not watch. Sportsball people need to shut their fucking mouths about anything not related to the game they play.
Anyone making millions of dollars to pay a game has no place to talk about the inequities or unfairness of "the system".
View Quote
Exactly. You can't "fix" something if you don't understand what's broken.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:48:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There's no denying sportsball is dying. Nobody wants to watch 400 lb linemen in tights and pads slam ineffectively into each other like some kind of nerf clad sumos. Or overpaid 8 foot tall thugs loaf up and down a court halfheartedly dribbling a ball.

What the sportsball industry needs is a complete paradigm shift. The heaviest NFL team currently fields players averaging 249 lb. 11 players x 249 lb = 2,739 lb. We use that figure to set our rule.

And that new rule is, a team can field no more than 2,739 lbs of players at a time, in any combination. And their total roster must be limited to enough weight to field 2.5 11-man squads, or 6,847 lb.

So, a team could field 11 guys at 249 lb, if they are conventional thinkers and lack imagination. But the team fielding 19, 140 lb players with a good running game would literally run circles around them.

Oh yeah, to spice things up protective gear is limited to the weight of the heaviest player. It can be apportioned in any way the coach sees fit.

Now, I know what you're saying: "but TNC, how's this going to help individual sports like track and field?"

Well, I have a plan. Those sports will adopt an NHRA model with classes based on modifications:

Stock: in Stock class you have to run what you brung. No PED's, no steroids, just good ol' fashioned hard work

Pro stock: Pro stock can run limited amounts of PED's

Top fuel: This is the unlimited class, whatever you can pump into the athlete goes. Here we'll see athletes absolutely optimized to run 100 m, many of them will be destroyed by a single race
View Quote

With these rules, or anything even vaguely similar, truly, sportsball is dead.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:49:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
But I don't want to revive it.
View Quote

Kill it .. let it die all on its own.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:49:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Professional football fans/attendance declined from 2019 to 2021.   It has bumped up some since COVID pandemic ended.

But the real  issue is that its popularity is steadily declining among younger people.  Especially kids

If the trend continues professional football may be a niche sport in 50 years.  A former shadow of itself

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is a problem with your theory. With the exception of baseball the other sports are more popular than they have ever been.

50 years ago, baseball was consistently losing ground to football.

50 years from now? There’s no telling.

Football revenue has not had a year where they made less money than the previous year in 20 years.  It’s far from declining in popularity.  In fact, every major sport (including international sports like hockey and soccer) is growing in revenue.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:55:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It's not the athleticism that's making people not watch. Sportsball people need to shut their fucking mouths about anything not related to the game they play.
Anyone making millions of dollars to pay a game has no place to talk about the inequities or unfairness of "the system".
View Quote

This^^

Stop pussifying everything too. Contact sports should have contact. If players can't or don't want to deal with the potential injuries maybe they should finish college and go a different route.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:39:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Baseball is going to be problematic. Even with 75 dwarves running around the field it's still a boring game.
View Quote
Randomly placed land mines in the outfield should liven up the game a bit. Maybe for the 7th inning stretch, make all the players run out on the field for 10 min being chased by a pissed off bull.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:44:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I thought for sure the recommendation would involve more tits.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:45:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Push to pass
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I thought for sure the recommendation would involve more tits.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/j7989i_GIF-123-188.gif
View Quote

OP fantasizes more about the athletes that get the girls than the actual girls - or so it would seem.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:42:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:45:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This^^

Stop pussifying everything too. Contact sports should have contact. If players can't or don't want to deal with the potential injuries maybe they should finish college and go a different route.
View Quote

Just a wild guess, but most college athletes (not all, certainly) are probably not "finish college" material in the hard majors.  They are, after all, in college to play sports.  That's how they got there.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:48:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top