Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 1:42:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Loved the details on that show.

Archie had been in the 15th Air Force at Foggia, Italy.

One of the very few times the “Forgotten Fifteenth” has ever gotten any attention.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 1:51:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The entire Archie Bunker character was meant to be a parody and mock conservatism.
View Quote
Yet just like Ron Swanson the parodies become beloved characters that the libtard actors get permanently bonded to.

It's ironic and extremely amusing
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 1:55:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Meathead is still the same retard
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 5:53:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The entire Archie Bunker character was meant to be a parody and mock conservatism.
View Quote

Carroll O’Conner was a “meathead” Liberal and ironically a devout Catholic (those familiar with the show understand the irony) but a native New Yorker and brought a third dimension to the TV character beyond the script. Producer Norman Lear once said that he was amazed Archie was so well liked by audiences which was not the intention at all.  

Archie was a product of the Great Depression and WWII. His feelings weren’t easily hurt and he didn’t worry much about other people’s feelings either. He worked hard and provided for his family, even family that didn’t provide for themselves. He held beliefs in racial and cultural stereotypes but not out of malice. His prejudices were born out of fear and ignorance but throughout the series he also exhibits an ability to learn and change which is what rational, well adjusted people do. Regardless, in the end it was always his innate sense of right and wrong that won-out over his personal bigotry. In many ways like my own Father who had never attended a Catholic Mass until my Son was Baptized (I married a damn Papist! ). For that, I cut Archie some slack.

I was born in the 1960s so now I am in my 50s and I agree, Archie had it right the whole time. We need another generation of Archies and Ediths instead of more Meatheads & Glorias.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 7:41:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I own the series! Bought it at a dvd rental place that closed for almost nothing.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 7:47:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm 50, he was ALWAYS right.

But also, fuck Carol O'Conner who was lib AF
View Quote

So basically the boomer Ron Swanson?
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 7:53:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm 50, he was ALWAYS right.

But also, fuck Carol O'Conner who was lib AF

His daughter was the boomer.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 8:21:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Loved the details on that show.

Archie had been in the 15th Air Force at Foggia, Italy.

One of the very few times the “Forgotten Fifteenth” has ever gotten any attention.
View Quote

I missed that detail in the series. My Father was part of the 15AF 376th Heavy Bomb Group, 512th Bomber Squadron.

Link Posted: 12/8/2022 8:23:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Holy crap my eyes are watering from laughing. I don't remember ever seeing that parody, it's way funnier than the original show.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I loved that show! I used to watch it with my dad when I was a kid. My godfather was a clone of Archie but Black .
Anything like this guy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfKwMfX2NB8

Holy crap my eyes are watering from laughing. I don't remember ever seeing that parody, it's way funnier than the original show.

That show is way underrated. The Wayans were comedy gold. Fearless comedy.

Quoted:
IIRC... he was rabidly anti-gun, his son committed suicided with a gun.

"Tragedy struck O’Connor and his family when his only son committed suicide on March 28, 1995.
His son, 32-year-old Hugh, killed himself in his home with a self-inflicted gunshot to the head."

Hugh O'Conner was a drug addiction. Short of getting off that path, he was doomed.

I used to watch Heat of the Night regularly. Really good show. Whatever O'Conner's personal politics were, he didn't seem to mind working with conservative actors, I'll give him that.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 8:25:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Funny…my dad was a spitting image of George Jefferson! Short, Afro, mustache and temperament! I shit you not!!!!

ETA if this thread is still going I’ll post a pic tomorrow if I can find a particular picture….it’s funny how much he resembles him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I loved that show! I used to watch it with my dad when I was a kid. My godfather was a clone of Archie but Black….

George Jefferson?

Funny…my dad was a spitting image of George Jefferson! Short, Afro, mustache and temperament! I shit you not!!!!

ETA if this thread is still going I’ll post a pic tomorrow if I can find a particular picture….it’s funny how much he resembles him.

bump for this
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 8:29:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Stifle yourself, OP.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 8:36:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I missed that detail in the series. My Father was part of the 15AF 376th Heavy Bomb Group, 512th Bomber Squadron.

View Quote

Ploesti!

You must be familiar with this lady.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 8:39:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI  by that meathead Rob Reiner
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 8:44:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I would pay $100 to punch Rob Reiner in the mouth.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 9:10:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Group buy?

WTF with the 7 people that voted for him.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 9:50:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I loved that show! I used to watch it with my dad when I was a kid. My godfather was a clone of Archie but Black .
View Quote

I knew I had a twin
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 9:53:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I watched that show every Tuesday night with my dad.  The Archie character was not intended, to become the hero to the average American that he became.  The meathead was supposed to be the smart one, the voice of modern American liberal reason.  Seems to have backfired.

Carrol O'Connor was as far left as Rob Reiner.  He played the part to try and make the working stiff look like some sort of illiterate dumbass.  He showed good acting skill in pulling that off.  Looking back on it, the meathead was the prototype leftist millennial FSA POS.  He was a full time student, no job, moved into a guy's house and was pounding his daughter, ate his food, used his utilities, contributed nothing, yet demanded an equal say on what went on in the household.  Rob Reiner played Michael Stivic, and it seems that it didn't take any acting at all on his part since Michael Stivic was just Rob being Rob..
View Quote

So what you’re saying is boomers pioneered all the stuff they criticize millennials for?  Yeah, pretty much.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 10:06:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 10:16:34 AM EDT
[#19]
the character was based on Alf Garnett from the British series "till death do us part". also 3's company was "man about the house", sandford and son was "Steptoe and son"
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 12:59:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
LOL we used to joke my dad was the white version of James Sr on Good Times
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 1:46:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
About what you ask? Most everything. Maybe not handing out pistols to To the passengers during a flight if you remember that episode. But I can’t think Or too many things I disagree with.
View Quote

I tell people my Irish descent FIL from Boston is "Archie Bunker if Archie smoked weed" He is a hoot.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 1:57:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I watched that show every Tuesday night with my dad.  The Archie character was not intended, to become the hero to the average American that he became.  The meathead was supposed to be the smart one, the voice of modern American liberal reason.  Seems to have backfired.

Carrol O'Connor was as far left as Rob Reiner.  He played the part to try and make the working stiff look like some sort of illiterate dumbass.  He showed good acting skill in pulling that off.  Looking back on it, the meathead was the prototype leftist millennial FSA POS.  He was a full time student, no job, moved into a guy's house and was pounding his daughter, ate his food, used his utilities, contributed nothing, yet demanded an equal say on what went on in the household.  Rob Reiner played Michael Stivic, and it seems that it didn't take any acting at all on his part since Michael Stivic was just Rob being Rob..
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 2:04:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Reminded me of my Dad a lot. Same Generation. My Dad carried a gun everyday, no carry permit. He knew most of the cops downtown.
He carried money for his company. Made deposits and went to the Police station to claim stolen property with a full size police .38 in his waist band, not to mention the bank.

That show is a time capsule of old white America and the commies that were changing things. I remember same time frame my sister wanting to wear a Peace symbol on her neck in Highschool. My brother was right at the end of the Vietnam War graduating in 75. Dad was pissed when he found out about the Peace Symbol.
He was looking at being drafted while he was finishing school. All that talking about it and the protests like Meat Head.
I was little and set back and watched it all.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 2:04:54 PM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/hes_right_you_know-328.jpg

Nailed it
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 2:17:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Group buy?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Group buy?

Loved the show and always sided with Archie. Thought meathead was (and still is) a repugnant ungrateful leach. That being said, meathead did eventually give us "The Princess Bride" so I'll stick to verbal degradation and contempt.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 2:27:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

The character of Ron Swanson came out the same way.

Hollywood, in their complete lack of awareness, occasionally creates a character that is intended to be abnormal in their eyes but ends up serving as an outlet for actual normal people.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 2:35:32 PM EDT
[#27]
54yo as well. Archie was always right. Meathead was always a whiny douchebag leach. I knew those things as a little kid watching reruns.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 2:40:35 PM EDT
[#28]
When I was in my 20's, I pretty much new it all. My old man, not so much.

The older I got, the smarter my Dad became.

Not sure the cause, don't recall him taking any night courses?
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 2:41:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Archie Bunker is as right as Stephen Colbert playing his conservative part
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 2:44:07 PM EDT
[#30]
I am rewatching all the shows on Amazon Prime.  I usually watch when I want to laugh and smile.  I still am laughing about the episode with Sammy Davis Jr.  When Sammy kissed Archie for the parting picture I took that as good natured joke on Archie.  Archie's come back was that it was a kiss under his contract to kiss Rachel Welch.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 2:48:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
54yo as well. Archie was always right. Meathead was always a whiny douchebag leach. I knew those things as a little kid watching reruns.
View Quote

Wait, only 54? So you're not really a Boomer?

Link Posted: 12/8/2022 2:55:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wasn’t all that long ago that the name wasn’t a generational pejorative.

I used to get asked if I had served as an Ohio class submarine crewman.

It’s actually RR slang that dates back to the 19th century.

Link Posted: 12/8/2022 2:58:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

So conservatism is right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So conservatism is right?
I think what it actually means is that what the left considers a parody of the right is actually the way we should be.

They parody trying to be ridiculous and end up being right while conservatives seem hell bent on being milquetoast.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 2:59:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Group buy?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Group buy?

recall the group in the  .........gate thread... that's about the number of Glowies trying to muddy up a news story.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 3:01:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeap and in later episodes he got woke.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 3:04:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It wasn't all that long ago that the name wasn't a generational pejorative.

It's actually RR slang that dates back to the 19th century.

https://media.tenor.com/ERa47gPVan8AAAAM/the-more-you-know.gif

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I figured as much; the train in your avatar is a good clue. But given your join date of 2001, I thought maybe it had a double meaning (since plenty of folks who joined back then are legitimate Baby Boomers).
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 3:10:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I am rewatching all the shows on Amazon Prime.  I usually watch when I want to laugh and smile.  I still am laughing about the episode with Sammy Davis Jr.  When Sammy kissed Archie for the parting picture I took that as good natured joke on Archie.  Archie's come back was that it was a kiss under his contract to kiss Rachel Welch.
View Quote

I like the one where he thinks he dies. He sees (what he thinks is) God and he’s black. First thing he says is “forgive me lord!”
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 3:18:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I figured as much; the train in your avatar is a good clue. But given your join date of 2001, I thought maybe it had a double meaning (since plenty of folks who joined back then are legitimate Baby Boomers).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have actually been here since like 1998.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I was just telling my boss about how my dad used to carry a loaded 38spcl in his briefcase when he was flying.

Unbelievable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
About what you ask? Most everything. Maybe not handing out pistols to To the passengers during a flight if you remember that episode. But I can’t think Or too many things I disagree with.

I was just telling my boss about how my dad used to carry a loaded 38spcl in his briefcase when he was flying.

Unbelievable.

"Would ya feel better little girl if they was pushed outta windows?"
-Archie to Gloria
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 3:34:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why not?
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 3:49:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Meathead is still the same retard
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/8/2022 5:20:41 PM EDT
[#42]
bump
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 6:51:17 PM EDT
[#43]
I’m home and I will look for some pics in a few minutes, this spot is reserved…..
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 7:02:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Not today agent man
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 10:21:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

George Jefferson?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

George Jefferson?
You beat yourself by 10 seconds.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 2:01:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm 61 and my family watched it every week during the original run. Just thinking back about the original run reminds me of these impressions of the show. It's interesting to think back as to what I thought about the characters.

Archie was the everyman, a decent person at heart dealing with the world changing around him. He had a very solid foundation, but evolved a bit every episode. Archie was more streetwise than book wise, but not a dumb person. His great failure is not having the ability to explain his views to Meathead. He tried, but didn't have the vocal dexterity to argue with an arrogant asshole. He tried not to show it often, but he really loved his family and that slipped out often.

Meathead was an insufferable blowhard who couldn't learn. He came across as the know it all buffoon who got his ideas from a book and had little to no real life experience. This character was one dimensional and cold. The main emotions he displayed were frustration and anger.

Edith was a whole lot smarter than she let on. Her role in life was to take care of her family, and she enjoyed that. She had learned long ago to accept Archie's ranting and complaining and just let him go. She also knew how to set him off when she wanted.

Gloria was the whiny brat who supported her husband because she didn't like agreeing with her father. I got the sense that after 30 years of marriage, Meathead would have turned her into a mindless, but more vicious version of Edith. She would tolerate her family, but wouldn't be happy with her life.

Link Posted: 12/9/2022 5:27:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep. And from what I recall as a kid, Archie was a union member who lived in Queens = Democrat.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep. And from what I recall as a kid, Archie was a union member who lived in Queens = Democrat.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 5:43:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
IIRC... he was rabidly anti-gun, his son committed suicided with a gun.

"Tragedy struck O’Connor and his family when his only son committed suicide on March 28, 1995.
His son, 32-year-old Hugh, killed himself in his home with a self-inflicted gunshot to the head."
View Quote

Would it make him feel any better if he jumped out a window?
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 6:11:22 PM EDT
[#50]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ploesti!

You must be familiar with this lady.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18447/consolidated-b24-liberator-strawberry-bi-2627978.JPG

Interestingly, my Father (along with other original “Liberandos”) was consulted during the restoration of “Strawberry Bitch”. The restoration team had official records from Consolidated and the AAC but were unsure about in-theatre details of the aircraft in actual combat use. My Father told me that the restoration “was very kind” with regards to the paint color as he remembered it being MUCH MORE PINK to match the granite sand of the Lybian dessert. He had crewed on her from time to time as (contrary to movies) crews, crew-members and aircraft were switched around, as needed, to keep every airworthy bomber available for missions. He also crewed on “Bad Penny” and others.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top