Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 10:58:58 AM EDT
[#1]
That's cool, man. I want to do the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 11:05:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Attachment Attached File

Lots of fun just extra work. Get ready to have eggs out your ass. We’ve got 16 and average a dozen or so a day
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 11:25:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Really nice job Op! I too am just getting into chickens. I got 10 and they’re just about 7 weeks old and ready for the coop.

I’m done with the coop (besides exterior paint) but still need to finish the run.

I used this design and I think it came out pretty great. Unfortunately I don’t have a pic of my coop on my phone. Highly recommend these plans:

https://www.morgancreekplans.com/product-page/chicken-coop-plans
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 11:31:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hmmm good plan...

- Buy 15 chickens for $150
- Buy a custom coop kit for $3500
- Buy materials for a run, $1200
- Spend 35 hours of your time putting stuff together
- ?
- ??
- Save $1.50 per dozen eggs.  Profit!!!!

View Quote

This is where I'm at with it.  My wife and daughter want chickens and I don't because I know who's going to have to do all the work after the new wears off.  I'll probably still end up doing it to some extent because we want our daughter to get into 4H and chickens are an easy start for her.
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 12:17:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This is where I'm at with it.  My wife and daughter want chickens and I don't because I know who's going to have to do all the work after the new wears off.  I'll probably still end up doing it to some extent because we want our daughter to get into 4H and chickens are an easy start for her.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmmm good plan...

- Buy 15 chickens for $150
- Buy a custom coop kit for $3500
- Buy materials for a run, $1200
- Spend 35 hours of your time putting stuff together
- ?
- ??
- Save $1.50 per dozen eggs.  Profit!!!!

Those costs seem really high and we even went stupid overboard.

I dont know where my wife finds them, but people will buy these home grown eggs for $8-10 a dozen.  With our chickens outputting about 8-9 eggs a day, we about broke even in the first year by just selling our extras.  It's wild.
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 12:24:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I had seven and now down to one. Everything smells like chicken shit and have not ate an egg for over a year.  Anyone want a good old hen for free.
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 1:07:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

true, we have Nugget, Potato, Windy, Midnight, the rooster is Mork, we lost Mindy to a fox.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I always recommend getting as many different breeds as you can, so that they all look different. This way, you can name them. When named, individuals can be discussed, e.g., "Blackie likes to go over to that one tree and dig", "Princess seems to have a limp" etc.

It is a great late afternoon entertainment to sit out back not far from the coop and watch the birds go about their business. They each have a different personality, and can be very amusing to have a drink and watch their antics. We'd let them free range when we were around.

true, we have Nugget, Potato, Windy, Midnight, the rooster is Mork, we lost Mindy to a fox.

They are funny little things. We have: Sketch, Runty, Blaqueena (All RIB) and: Six, Null and Hendrick Lamar (All RB). They all have their own, distinct personalities.
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 3:35:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I think the important thing to note is that if you’re trying to “save” Monday on eggs good luck lol.

The probably 3-5 grand I’m into this adventure was never a venture to save cash.

It’s about having animals that are fed natural foods, and not stuck in a cage being pumped with God knows what.

We like to eat healthy and this is another step towards that.
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 7:16:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think the important thing to note is that if you’re trying to “save” Monday on eggs good luck lol.

The probably 3-5 grand I’m into this adventure was never a venture to save cash.

It’s about having animals that are fed natural foods, and not stuck in a cage being pumped with God knows what.

View Quote

Exactly
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 8:08:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

All that's true, plus having a sustainable food source, but most importantly they're just fun to watch.
Link Posted: 8/20/2024 7:21:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll keep it going with ours that we just finished. Bought the coop, made the run. Took 3 months.Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/20/2024 8:36:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Lord almighty, you guys are making me feel real bad about my coop.

ETA- well, not really my coop because it kicks ass but definitely my run. It's just dog kennel panels.
Link Posted: 8/20/2024 8:46:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Fully caged. Good. Don't want them crossing the road.
View Quote

Why would they do that?
Link Posted: 8/20/2024 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I made pretty much this exact argument to my wife.  Her reply?

When you can't get eggs in the store, we will have eggs.

She had me there.
View Quote

Mine was talking about training dogs(English Setters and Brittany's) with quail.
Went from bobwhite to coturnix to guinea fowl...WTF!
Next thing I know we're going to have pea fowl and I don't jump out of airplanes...
Link Posted: 8/20/2024 9:28:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 10:06:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Why would they do that?
View Quote

You sir, win the internet today.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top