BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 8:11:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I shot a CZ 457 .22lr out to 300+ last fall and intend to do some more, soon.

I haven't chrono'ed any ammo yet. What I have done is to find a estimated BC and velocity for each load I shoot, plug in exact sight height and zero range data, and the Hornady ballistics app (available online or, I think, as a free download) has nailed it within a minute or so, every time.

200 isn't even difficult, with a scope. Irons will change that, of course.
View Quote

This is my experience as well.  I have a 30 MOA Area 419 base and making hits at 200 on a 6" plate is child's play. Beyond that definitely refines your wind calling ability.  I'm seriously considering attending the monthly NRL22 matches at my local range next year.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My oldest ringing steel at 200 yards a few minutes ago:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/47056/53EFEC47-2B47-481A-9A8A-458AB913000D_jpe-2204152.JPG

The middle child:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/47056/77C6B8C4-9E23-472E-80B1-FFCE0D6B9C36_jpe-2204155.JPG

Both made first round hits. Thanks for the reminder, OP.
View Quote

Awesome!

Link Posted: 12/14/2021 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Last nrlx match we had quarter ipsc targets at 450 and 520

Dope at 200 should be 7.3 mils

Link Posted: 12/14/2021 8:28:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 8:37:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I love shooting 10" steel at 200 with both my 15-22 and my Savage MKII FV-SR.  Occasionally from a bench, but mostly prone.  My hold is usually around 3 1/2' feet on a 50 yard zero depending on ammo.  The wind is rather tricky at times.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 8:42:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 25 yard range to shoot .22LR so I am trying for the smallest diameter ragged hole as possible. No, not the same as shooting at 100 or 200 yards but it is still applicable to the skill set.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 9:06:40 PM EDT
[#7]

.22lr at 1000yds in australia.

This is before they were put into ozfema camps.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 9:14:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
When I belonged to a gun club, we had a group of retired marines who would meet every thursday.  They would set up boards of asprin glued to target boards at 200yds.  They were using match grade .22s like Rem 40x or Win 52d with diopter sites. One shot per pill.  Whoever had the least # of hits paid for lunch. Those guys were fantastic shots.
View Quote

Repeatedly hitting an aspirin at 200 using irons?

You could say I have some doubts

As for OP,  22 is great fun at range.  It takes away handicaps offered by heavier and faster calibers.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 9:15:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a plate at 240 yards I frequently shoot with my 10/22 it's about 7 ft of holdover.   If I have a solid rest, I can get three rounds off before the first one hits.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ten years ago or so a member here put on a rimfire match that included a stage with 3" steel swingers every ten yards from 10 yards to 200 yards. You had ten minutes to hit as many as you could, as much ammo as you had, and a spotter. That was truly a lot of fun, and not as easy as it sounds when you get out past 150 with a breeze.

I shot the match with a suppressed CZ452 American and a cheap Weaver scope I'd keep at 4x so it wouldn't mess up my holdovers.
View Quote

WE NEED TO DO THAT AGAIN!!!

That was a lot of fun!
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 9:23:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I fucking love shooting steel at 200 with a .22.  That's a hell of a lot of fun, and it will teach a whole lot about what you thought you knew that wasn't so.

Link Posted: 12/14/2021 9:28:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

As for OP,  22 is great fun at range.  It takes away handicaps offered by heavier and faster calibers.
View Quote

I think very few, if any, people can see an aspirin at 200 and nobody could see one while focusing on the front sight post.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 9:32:07 PM EDT
[#13]
This sounds like a lot of fun. When I was a kid I used to shoot my Marlin .22 at turtle heads sticking out of the water. Some of them had to be 200 or 300 yards because I had to hold the sights so high. Some if the shots were definitely more artillery shots. But I got feedback as soon as that Bullet hit the water.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 9:33:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That was a lot of fun!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ten years ago or so a member here put on a rimfire match that included a stage with 3" steel swingers every ten yards from 10 yards to 200 yards. You had ten minutes to hit as many as you could, as much ammo as you had, and a spotter. That was truly a lot of fun, and not as easy as it sounds when you get out past 150 with a breeze.

I shot the match with a suppressed CZ452 American and a cheap Weaver scope I'd keep at 4x so it wouldn't mess up my holdovers.

That was a lot of fun!

I still talk about that stage as one of the more entertaining shoots I've been to. You still got all the swingers?
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 9:39:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Used to do it all the time with my Anschutz 54 and Unertl scope.     Had a 4" gong at 200 yards.     Just happened to have a couple flowers growing on the backstop out at 350 yards that were perfect aim points with SK match ammo to hit the gong at 200 yards..  

On a side note,  I remember there used to be a 40 shot match out at Camp Perry during smallbore week at 200 yards..       I had a pack of practice targets they used and at my home range with my irons my best score was a 399-32x  (Didn't come close to that in the match,  obviously if you ever shot at Perry you know their wind is a whole different animal)
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 9:42:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I think very few, if any, people can see an aspirin at 200 and nobody could see one while focusing on the front sight post.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could usually hit like a six inch plate, with a scope, hitting an aspirin?  No way.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 10:34:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Does anybody know the barrel length to attain maximum velocity with, say Mini Mags?

My High Standard is 24" and IIRC my Winchester is longer. Never tried to chrono them against the Glenfield 60.
I'm wondering if the bullets are actually slowing down before leaving the big guns.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 10:38:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

WTF. Back in 1956 I saw the Lone Ranger shoot the gun out of the bad guy's hand at about 600 yards while riding Silver at a full gallop.

It doesn't hurt to ask.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
ETA while you're at it, what's a good set of 200 yard come-ups for a Ruger MKIV 22/45, 5.5 inch barrel zeroed at 2 yards? WTF. Why not?

No particular reason........just sounds funny

WTF. Back in 1956 I saw the Lone Ranger shoot the gun out of the bad guy's hand at about 600 yards while riding Silver at a full gallop.

It doesn't hurt to ask.

i bet he angled it in off a boulder too. I loved the boulder angle shots.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 10:44:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Does anybody know the barrel length to attain maximum velocity with, say Mini Mags?

My High Standard is 24" and IIRC my Winchester is longer. Never tried to chrono them against the Glenfield 60.
I'm wondering if the bullets are actually slowing down before leaving the big guns.
View Quote

Given their low expansion ratio, optimum length is short. IIRC it’s 18” to 20” depending on ammo. Longer barrels will be quieter, but not faster.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top