Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/23/2018 12:46:16 AM EDT
It really great, as a DS9 fan I can see the similarities everyone talks about, but I have to ask...

Why does Garibaldi always have his hands in his pockets? He died from alcohol related circumstances. Was it the shakes?
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 12:50:03 AM EDT
[#1]
DS9 was copied from B5, this is quite well established.

Having said that, I'm not sure Jerry Doyle was an alcoholic the whole time.  I saw him in person a few years ago and he did look a bit worn.  So did Tracy Scoggins, yikes.

Stay with the show, it's a masterpiece.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 1:00:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Great show, definitely hampered by being on before the DVR era.

It’s so serialized that missing an episode here or there can really leave you wondering what the hell is going on.

They had the rough story for the entire series written from the start and it really shows. The way everything is laid out and connects is a marvel.

The sequel series and TV movies aren’t quite as good but they’re worth watching.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 1:20:35 AM EDT
[#3]
First season drags a bit but stick with it.  It gets better.  Better make up. better effects. better story. better acting.  It all just keeps getting better and better.

The creator submitted half of the first season scripts to Paramount while trying to get them to produce the show... they rejected him and then made DS9... with eerie similarities for the first half season...

The actor who plays the Commander in the first season was Schizophrenic.  That whole situation and medication is why he seems really stiff.

Babylon 5 is my all time favorite sci-fi show.  It's wonderfully accurate in its portrayal of space ships and how they move... as well as having spinning section for gravity.  It also has a coherent story all the way through with important plot details in every episode.  You may think an early first season episode is a filler episode without anything too important in it... but when you look back it will have set up and foreshadowed so many things that occur later.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 1:20:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I just finished watching all 5 seasons over a six week period on Amazon. When it was originally broadcast, I saw most of seasons 1-4, but it was always shown at 11 PM on Saturday night, so if we were travelling or just out, I missed an episode, because re-runs weren't common either. When it changed networks for season 5, I only saw about half the episodes. So it was good to see all 100+ episodes in order, and after that, as another poster said, you see the plot connections between the seasons. Sadly, a lot of the main cast members are dead now, some having died within a few years of the regular series end (1998).
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 1:29:54 AM EDT
[#5]
May god walk between you and all the empty places you walk.

I think.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 1:29:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Stick with it.................The Shadow War is excellent
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 1:37:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 1:39:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think.
View Quote
May God walk between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 1:56:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 2:07:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Man I envy you being able to watch it for the first time. I absolutely love that show. The first season is a bit rocky but it starts to ramp up in season 2. Be sure to check out the movies made for the series and Crusade. Season 5 was a "oh shit, we didn't get cancelled after all and need to come up with something" wrap up to the show and gives some foreshadowing into event that take place between B5 and Crusade and are expounded in the novels.

Damn Sierra cancelled the B5 game in the late 90s that would have been the best space simulator of it's time. Numerous groups have made freeware games since, the best being one called I've Found Her.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 2:15:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Masterfully written.  Some of the longest story arcs of any series I've ever watched.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 2:32:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I've tried watching recently, and it's really hampered by the grainy low-resolution graphics.  I remember the show itself being excellent, but in today's era of 4K TV's, it visually is like watching home-made youtube video's today.  If you can get past that, it's an amazing series.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 2:33:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Have you seen The Expanse? According to my taste it is the best science fiction produced for television to date.
View Quote
part of.  First 2 seasons I think.  is 3 done and on Amazon yet? or was it 4 that Amazon picked up?

So yeah I think it's good but it hasn't really hooked me.  I'm not jonesing for more so to speak.  I'm happy it got saved by Amazon and will watch more of it at some point.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 2:42:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Are you the one?
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 2:43:09 AM EDT
[#15]
I’m saving this shit for when I get Alzheimer’s. Gonna get the box set and every day will be the first time I watched
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 2:57:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 3:05:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 3:09:44 AM EDT
[#18]
guys... careful not to spoil things for him...
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 3:15:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Babylon 5 is probably the greatest sci-fi TV show ever created.

The more modern shows don't cut it because they only have 12 or 13 episodes per season. B5 had 22 per season, so a lot more material there.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 3:24:46 AM EDT
[#20]
I’m with Sheldon’s roommate on this Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 3:28:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
DS9 was copied from B5, this is quite well established.

Having said that, I'm not sure Jerry Doyle was an alcoholic the whole time.  I saw him in person a few years ago and he did look a bit worn.  So did Tracy Scoggins, yikes.

Stay with the show, it's a masterpiece.
View Quote
Tracy was smokin back in the day

Txl
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 3:35:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 3:36:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 4:51:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 5:01:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
seriously does noone else like bagna cauda.
View Quote
No one knows what the fuck that is.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 5:01:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 5:02:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 5:04:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
seriously does noone else like bagna cauda.
View Quote
Yes, and must have Jerusalem artichokes for it.

The show has some real corny melodramatic scene ending moments, like someone from a soap opera was filming. The first season was the biggest offender of this but it got better.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 5:18:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yes, and must have Jerusalem artichokes for it.

The show has some real corny melodramatic scene ending moments, like someone from a soap opera was filming. The first season was the biggest offender of this but it got better.
View Quote
That’s kind of what made for syndication sci-fi/fantasy was for the entirety of the 90s and beginning of the 2000’s.

Hercules/Xena, Andromeda, Time Trax, Stargate.

You had your “high concept” stuff like X-Files and Star Trek but those kind of shows had higher budgets because they were being produced by the stations airing them.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 5:31:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I think.
View Quote
May god stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 5:31:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Are you the one?
View Quote
Do you know who I am?
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 5:32:14 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 5:43:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Watched it last year thought it was pretty good over all. Meet Tracy Scogins on a call about 3 years ago. She looks nothing like she did on the show anymore anyway.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 5:46:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Agreed B5 is best sci-fi show
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 6:09:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Gogle it and watch it in order with the movies, or miss out on epic shit.

Theres like 7 movies..
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 6:29:08 AM EDT
[#36]
"Humans. Arrogance and stupidity, all in one package. How convenient!" - Londo Mollari
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 6:34:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
"Humans. Arrogance and stupidity, all in one package. How convenient!" - Londo Mollari
View Quote
"What are those earth creatures? Webbed feet, long bill, go quack?"

"Ah, cats!"

Also Londo. And Vir.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 6:38:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

"What are those earth creatures? Webbed feet, long bill, go quack?"

"Ah, cats!"

Also Londo. And Vir.
View Quote
Finish it: "Like being nibbled to death by cats.'
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 6:39:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
"What do you want, you moon-faced assassin of joy?!"
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 6:41:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Londo got the best lines.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 7:02:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Londo got the best lines.
View Quote
That, he did. Damn, but I miss that show.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 7:39:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Zathras have sad life, probably have sad death, but at least there is symmetry
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 7:50:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I've tried watching recently, and it's really hampered by the grainy low-resolution graphics.  I remember the show itself being excellent, but in today's era of 4K TV's, it visually is like watching home-made youtube video's today.  If you can get past that, it's an amazing series.
View Quote
the computer graphics for the show were rendered on a commodore amiga, with a graphics rendering board called the toaster, at the time.

it was a system that was used often in tv production and studios as a relatively inexpensive system to get computer graphics and text on the air.

there were times where the system would crash at night, and you could tell what cable systems or networks were using it to do their automated text messages or notices for stuff like public service spots
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 8:06:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Man I envy you being able to watch it for the first time. I absolutely love that show. The first season is a bit rocky but it starts to ramp up in season 2. Be sure to check out the movies made for the series and Crusade. Season 5 was a "oh shit, we didn't get cancelled after all and need to come up with something" wrap up to the show and gives some foreshadowing into event that take place between B5 and Crusade and are expounded in the novels.

Damn Sierra cancelled the B5 game in the late 90s that would have been the best space simulator of it's time. Numerous groups have made freeware games since, the best being one called I've Found Her.
View Quote
Actually the series was intended from start to finish to only last for 5 seasons. At the time it was the only TV series that went into production that was intended to end at some point.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 8:19:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Actually the series was intended from start to finish to only last for 5 seasons. At the time it was the only TV series that went into production that was intended to end at some point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

During the 4th season production it wasn't clear if the series was going to be renewed for a 5th season so plot lines were shorten or cut out, then at the last minute after the final episode was filmed the greenlight for season 5 was given, which is why the last episode of season 4 was derp because it was unplanned and written last minute.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 8:30:52 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm on season 5...I have enjoyed it very much. Everyone here was correct, get thru the first season...after that...it really starts to shine.

When I'm done, I may start on DS9 and see how that is. I hear Sisko is quite the bad ass Captain.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 8:49:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

"What do you want, you moon-faced assassin of joy?!"
View Quote
this is the quote that pops into my head whenever Babylon 5 comes up.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 9:04:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
During the 4th season production it wasn't clear if the series was going to be renewed for a 5th season so plot lines were shorten or cut out, then at the last minute after the final episode was filmed the greenlight for season 5 was given, which is why the last episode of season 4 was derp because it was unplanned and written last minute.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. JMS had to rush the Shadow War and cram it into season 4. Which is why we got Space Hippies living in the basement in season 5.

Still, B5 is the greatest sci fi show of all time so far for me. Amazing moments.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 9:15:38 AM EDT
[#49]
With my coworker out for seven weeks, I'll have Saturday and Sunday nights to watch it for the first time (I hate using earbuds).
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 9:25:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Are you the one?
View Quote
Who are you?

And what do you want?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top