Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 3:24:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Bees are awesome. Buy a beekeeping book and read through it. Then find an experienced beekeeper that will let you tag along when he is doing a hive check.

Do it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 3:25:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Dunno why you'd be scared of individual bees. They really don't care about you and they're just trying to carry out their mission (find water, nectar, etc). The last time I was stung by a bee was when I was a kid and stepped on one in some grass. I've captured tons of bees in distress and released them in my adult life with zero issues.

I think they're awesome and would keep a hive if I could. Wasps and hornets can get the fuck out though. I'm not scared of them unless they're gigantic (saw a wasp here in Phoenix the size of a humming bird once), but I am wary of them.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Back when I was rapelling down mountains in Colorado, I was doing some reading on the psychology of the height phobia.  All normal people are afraid of heights, but the level of fear varies depending on the height.  What's fairly consistent, though, is that people are actually more afraid of heights that will hurt them than they are heights that will kill them.  You'll have higher fear responses at 15 feet than you will at 150 feet.  At 15 feet your brain catalogues all the bad shit that could happen, but once you get to "if I fall I'm dead" height, you only have one thing to be afraid of.

Notice all the shit you managed was at lethal heights?  Just convince yourself that even the smallest fall is lethal and you should be good to go.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 3:27:26 PM EDT
[#4]
If they land on you just gently brush them away and they won't sting you,I have bees land on me all the time.Never get stung
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 3:28:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 3:28:18 PM EDT
[#6]
face your fears

I was scared of heights, water and snakes

I learned how to scuba dive and became a paratrooper.

after that I went to Ranger school and learned how to handle snakes from the reptile team guys.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#7]
That's why we had the wasp nest obstacle by the rope climb at CWE.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 4:00:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 4:01:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 4:05:33 PM EDT
[#10]
And seriously, this stuff is good....and bees make it

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 4:13:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bet you this ol clydesdale horse fly I killled the other day would have put you in a tizzy.

Fucking thing sounded like a Blackhawk buzzing around.

https://fbcdn-photos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xta1/v/t1.0-0/11143507_10204908356446289_1905278863377333003_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=dce2aea50f196757273d6f1b02dbbad1&oe=560B7C34&__gda__=1439382393_6a2ff130e68d2ecfd2374d40120c0d4b
View Quote

Those things are rough.  I work right on the Gulf and it's just about the time of year for them to start showing up.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 4:17:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have two phobias: Heights, and bees.

Heights: I'm terrified of heights, but I've always been able to work through it, such that it doesn't affect my daily life. I'm that guy who won't walk too close to a railing on the second floor of a mall. I'm that guy who goes nuts when he sees somebody leaning over a railing ("ARE YOU CRAZY?!!!"). I'm that guy who grabs onto the edges of his char and feels like puking, while watching a video of a guy free climbing a broadcast radio/TV tower.

And yet...

...I've been bungee jumping. I've flown ultralight planes solo. I once free climbed a customer's 80' residential antenna mast to clear a bird's nest for gas money, so that I could make it home from work (absolutely terrified, but I did it). I've worked on steep pitched roofs in construction (terrified, but somewhat functional).

To put a finer point on it, I've done things that are flat out suicidal without an inkling of fear. My best to date: I once split lanes in traffic at ~90mph on a motorcycle. Others have done worse, but I'm not done yet - I did it between cars in opposing directions. Yeah. I actually split lanes against traffic on a bet in my early 20's, and thought nothing of it. I would never do it again (I'm lucky to be alive, honestly), but the point I'm making is that my risk/reward center seems to be royally screwed up.

That bring me to...bees.

I fucking HATE bees. Wasps are worse (I can't stand any and all flying stinging insects), but I want to focus on bees. For reasons I don't really understand, I freak the fuck out if I'm outside and a honey bee is buzzing around me. I'm not kidding - I look like a little girl, flapping my arms around and running for cover (the bees always follow me - fuck those sadistic fucks), and generally losing my shit. It's embarrassing. Normal people seem to be able to just wave them away with little no no consequence. Me? I feel like I'm about to feel the wrath of some super venom, mixed with righteous anger.

I realize this is an irrational fear. I do ride motorcycles. I once had a bee sting my in the Adam's Apple while riding some back roads. I was fine. As a child (and I think this is the root of it), a bee stung me on the arm for no good reason while I was merrily enjoying my backyard swingset. When I hopped off the swing, I stepped on another bee barefoot and wasn't able to wear shoes for a week. Still, nothing was super painful pr life threatening - just annoying.

So while I cognitively know this, why am I so terrified of the things? Why can't I deal with bees, the same way I deal with heights? Why did I come running inside to type this, having only smoked about 1/4 of my cigarette, because a bee was flying around my head on my back porch?

Help me not be a pussy, arfcom. I'm almost there.
View Quote

Me too.  Got stung at my 3rd birthday party.  Apparently been afraid ever since.  Killing the fuck out of them makes it better, but not all the way.  One time we were cutting down a tree and there was a yellow jackets nest in the bottom of it and I got stung a couple of times, then we went back an hour or so later with 5 people with shotguns and about 400 shells and shot the fuck out of it then poured gas on it.  That worked for a few months.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 4:19:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I was also 20 minutes late for work today because a hornet got in the house and I couldn't leave without killing it, which meant throwing shit around my house and hiding for 30 or so minutes until I got it.  But seriously, what the fuck are hornets doing up at 430am?  Maybe there's a nest in my attic or something, and yes, I'm afraid to go in my attic because there might be bees in it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 4:29:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
face your fears

I was scared of heights, water and snakes

I learned how to scuba dive and became a paratrooper.

after that I went to Ranger school and learned how to handle snakes from the reptile team guys.
View Quote

?There is a Ranger reptile team?

I take it Rangers are not supposed to scream like little girls when they see a snake?

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 4:30:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Heights: I'm terrified of heights, but I've always been able to work through it, such that it doesn't affect my daily life. I'm that guy who won't walk too close to a railing on the second floor of a mall. I'm that guy who goes nuts when he sees somebody leaning over a railing ("ARE YOU CRAZY?!!!"). I'm that guy who grabs onto the edges of his char and feels like puking, while watching a video of a guy free climbing a broadcast radio/TV tower.

And yet...

...I've been bungee jumping. I've flown ultralight planes solo. I once free climbed a customer's 80' residential antenna mast to clear a bird's nest for gas money, so that I could make it home from work (absolutely terrified, but I did it). I've worked on steep pitched roofs in construction (terrified, but somewhat functional).

To put a finer point on it, I've done things that are flat out suicidal without an inkling of fear. My best to date: I once split lanes in traffic at ~90mph on a motorcycle. Others have done worse, but I'm not done yet - I did it between cars in opposing directions. Yeah. I actually split lanes against traffic on a bet in my early 20's, and thought nothing of it. I would never do it again (I'm lucky to be alive, honestly), but the point I'm making is that my risk/reward center seems to be royally screwed up.

That bring me to...bees.

I fucking HATE bees. Wasps are worse (I can't stand any and all flying stinging insects), but I want to focus on bees. For reasons I don't really understand, I freak the fuck out if I'm outside and a honey bee is buzzing around me. I'm not kidding - I look like a little girl, flapping my arms around and running for cover (the bees always follow me - fuck those sadistic fucks), and generally losing my shit. It's embarrassing. Normal people seem to be able to just wave them away with little no no consequence. Me? I feel like I'm about to feel the wrath of some super venom, mixed with righteous anger.

I realize this is an irrational fear. I do ride motorcycles. I once had a bee sting my in the Adam's Apple while riding some back roads. I was fine. As a child (and I think this is the root of it), a bee stung me on the arm for no good reason while I was merrily enjoying my backyard swingset. When I hopped off the swing, I stepped on another bee barefoot and wasn't able to wear shoes for a week. Still, nothing was super painful pr life threatening - just annoying.

So while I cognitively know this, why am I so terrified of the things? Why can't I deal with bees, the same way I deal with heights? Why did I come running inside to type this, having only smoked about 1/4 of my cigarette, because a bee was flying around my head on my back porch?

Help me not be a pussy, arfcom. I'm almost there.
View Quote

Wish I could help, my fears are identical.

I've never been stung though, so I blame the bee thing on the fact that mt main childhood education on bees consists of my (mildly retarded) childhood friend constantly getting stung and running for his mom after performing yet another stupid stunt involving bees.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 4:32:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Subnet, not much I can offer you to help overcome your fear of bees. I don't like them much myself. I'm not the type to run away screaming when I see one but if I hear one buzzing around, I'm looking around and trying to find it so I can see where it is.

Except for carpenter bees. I try to go after those damn things. Ever try to kill one with a flyswatter? Those things got moves like jagger. Shucking, jiving, dinking, dunking. For a bug the size of a peanut M&M, they are agile.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 4:35:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Don't feel too bad, Sub. My girlfriend was cooking dinner one night and  a bee somehow got in one of the windows. Probably through a hole in one of the window screes. and upon seeing the little winged harbinger of the Apocalypse buzzing around inside, she made for the door at a speed only marginally less than light .

......Only problem was she connected with the kitchen trash bin on the way out the door and it looked like a fucking fuel-air bomb went off in there. She sat in her car until I had a confirmed kill on the little bastage.  We still laugh about that to this day.

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 4:37:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It was supposed to be our childhood secret. Big mouth.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
while I was merrily enjoying my backyard swingset.

It was supposed to be our childhood secret. Big mouth.

Was wondering about that.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 4:51:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

..., a bee stung me on the arm for no good reason while I was merrily enjoying my backyard swingset.
View Quote
Messed up a good Dutch Rudder?

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 4:54:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Friendly fire at the gangbang doesn't count.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Another fun fact about me I've never shared with anyone online: I've been shot (not by my own hand). It fucking sucked.

Remember kids: Shot, shot at and shot on are three completely different experiences.

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 4:56:04 PM EDT
[#21]
You must face down the fear, free climb a radio tower and remove a hive.  It is the only way, sorry bud.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 4:59:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Remember kids: Shot, shot at and shot on are three completely different experiences.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another fun fact about me I've never shared with anyone online: I've been shot (not by my own hand). It fucking sucked.

What about shot in?
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 5:00:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Subnet, not much I can offer you to help overcome your fear of bees. I don't like them much myself. I'm not the type to run away screaming when I see one but if I hear one buzzing around, I'm looking around and trying to find it so I can see where it is.

Except for carpenter bees. I try to go after those damn things. Ever try to kill one with a flyswatter? Those things got moves like jagger. Shucking, jiving, dinking, dunking. For a bug the size of a peanut M&M, they are agile.
View Quote

Airsoft. Wait till they hover for a second and knock 'em down. I've scored about 30 this spring so far.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 5:02:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 5:11:39 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
What about shot in?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What about shot in?
Not in my realm of experience.

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 5:17:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Got stung by an entire hive of yellow jackets when I was a kid. Later on after recovering I remember being told I had about 5 more minutes to live when I got to the hospital if they hadn't stabilized me.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Honey bees and most others dont worry me much , but bald faced hornets are chillingly evil and need to all burn in the fires of insect hell

http://www.cirrusimage.com/Hymenoptera/bald-faced_hornet_091.jpg  
View Quote
Other bees don't really bother me that much, but I agree with you; those fuckers are evil.  I got stung on the back by one of those while working in my garden a few years ago.  Hurt like a mother, and I do a petit Subnet whenever I see one now.  

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 5:38:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Think of them as flying ants. No need to be scared of ants.

Unless you are like my uncle. For some reason bees hate that man. I have seen him get stung atleast a dozen times, while just standing around. It is like a bee will pick him out of the crowd and sting him for no reason. If you are that guy, you need to watch out for them.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 5:41:10 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't mind hights, I'm not a fan of bee's but I don't fuck with em.

Wasps/hornets, SPIDERS I fucking hate with a passion I went nuclear on a small paper wasp hive and killed it with fire.

My fiance wanted to go nuclear in our apartment because she found a spider that was as big as a half dollar.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 5:42:51 PM EDT
[#30]
May as well put this here.

Also, they not only kill bees, but sometimes kill people.

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 5:44:45 PM EDT
[#31]
The people at work do think its funny that I am only scared of wasps and hornets and that I can tell the difference by sound.  I don't like bees, but I accept them.  Carpenter bees don't bother me anymore either, theres boatloads of them at my buddies house, and since there's free beer there, I've taken to killing them with a tennis racket.  

So, maybe you should get someone to put unlimited free beer near bees for you?
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 5:48:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Allergic to bee stings here so I'm extra vigilant around them but have learned to relax and not get frantic if one lands on me.    

So just relax....
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 5:49:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Bees don't really bother me.  I kind of have a fondness for bumblebees.  They're kind of cute and reluctant to sting.

Wasps and hornets are a different story.  As a kid we had some kind of wasp nest in the attic.  Every year in the late spring, they would pop up everywhere around the house.  On the walls, windows, ceiling fixtures, lamps.  Everywhere.  We probably killed four or five every day, seemed like.

Typically they won't bother you unless you get too close or interfere with them in some way.  By "interfere", of course, I mean "squish with a blunt object at high velocity".  
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 5:51:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yes. A few times. I was fine (I'm still here).

And that makes this stupid phobia of mine just that much more silly.

Mosquitoes are everywhere in Ohio in the summer time, and they love my ass more than pretty much everyone else. But for reasons I'll never quite understand, this doesn't bother me.

If noting else, if I remember to soak myself in DEET, I don't get bit. This doesn't seem to work with bees. Those fuckers are still interested in me. They follow me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
have you ever been stung before?

if you arnt allergic go ahead and find one buzzing around. see if you can get it to land on your hand and watch it.

Even get one to sting you, watch it and let it do its thing.  Mosquito bites are MUCH worse for me, I swell up and itch for hours.  Most splinters are worse than the bee stings I have had.

Mosquitoes are everywhere in Ohio in the summer time, and they love my ass more than pretty much everyone else. But for reasons I'll never quite understand, this doesn't bother me.

If noting else, if I remember to soak myself in DEET, I don't get bit. This doesn't seem to work with bees. Those fuckers are still interested in me. They follow me.

Yeah, freaking out, raising your body temp, giving off lots of CO2. That is what gets their attention, that is what makes them interested in you. It is not something about you that you can't control or change, it is your behavior which you can control and change.
Somebody probably said this already, but theres three pages and I don't feel like reading all that shit.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 6:07:38 PM EDT
[#35]
If you stop using the perfumed douches, that smell like flowers, I think the bees will leave you alone.

Is this the one you use? See, it has flowers right on the box. Not good.

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 6:20:51 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

If you stop using the perfumed douches, that smell like flowers, I think the bees will leave you alone.

Is this the one you use? See, it has flowers right on the box. Not good.

http://i.imgur.com/pfw2wXP.png

View Quote
Well then, how are you supposed to get the sand out of your mangina when the bees won't let you smoke in peace?

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 6:23:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yeah, freaking out, raising your body temp, giving off lots of CO2. That is what gets their attention, that is what makes them interested in you. It is not something about you that you can't control or change, it is your behavior which you can control and change.
Somebody probably said this already, but theres three pages and I don't feel like reading all that shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
have you ever been stung before?

if you arnt allergic go ahead and find one buzzing around. see if you can get it to land on your hand and watch it.

Even get one to sting you, watch it and let it do its thing.  Mosquito bites are MUCH worse for me, I swell up and itch for hours.  Most splinters are worse than the bee stings I have had.

Douche jokes aside I do believe that washing your hair with any floral scented shampoo will increase a bees interest in you.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 7:07:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This years Gun-n-Grub is goin' to be goooood.
View Quote

I'll manage.

Like mentioned earlier, there was a "rope climb and greet a motherfuckng wasp nest at the end" obstacle at Cola Warrior East. Sadistic fucks.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 7:11:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Bees bug me a little. But I just don't move quickly when they are around, usually just go away.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 7:11:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Bees do not bother me much, but wasps I have been perpetually at war with them since I moved into this place. LP got serum poisoning a few years back from being stung by multiple bees when he was mowing the lawn to his folks' house.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 9:51:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 9:59:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Wait till one of these dirty cunts runs up your foot and bites (for stability) then super stings you 9 times in 2 seconds for no fucking reason...    I was once swarmed and stung 15-20 times by honey bees it wasn't that bad.  The beast pictured above gets much more respect from me.  They also are made of bug grade titanium.  Hard as shit to kill.  Not to mention they roam alone because nothing fucks with em.    See video.  Cow Killer
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 10:11:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 10:14:10 PM EDT
[#44]
I am extremely afraid of heights. My buddy got me into rappelling by telling me there was no way to fall and the ropes were nearly strong enough to lift a car. I used to rappel often. Still scared as shit of heights.

Bees don't bother me too much.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 10:14:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Cow Killer Ant.  Yea they are lone wolf wingless wasps.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 10:20:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

AKA the Velvet Ant. They reportedly have a sting comparable to the Tarantula Hawk, some of the worst stings in existence. They are topped only by the infamous Bullet Ant.

Subnet, are we helping?

PS The Tarantula Hawk has a stinger 1/3 of an inch long.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 10:33:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

AKA the Velvet Ant. They reportedly have a sting comparable to the Tarantula Hawk, some of the worst stings in existence. They are topped only by the infamous Bullet Ant.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQNgxJdqzm4
Subnet, are we helping?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQNgxJdqzm4
Subnet, are we helping?

Yes, I'd rather be stung by 20 bees or wasps than face the wraith of the dirty whore velvent ant again.  When you crush one it better be on a hard surface and it feels like stepping on a ball bearing.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 10:39:42 PM EDT
[#48]
You can come down and do some Wasp and Hornet therapy Sub. I find it cathartic to hose down a nest with Raid! while they are still stirring in the morning. We have tons of them here. It is so fun to stomp on the twitchers that fall out of the nest. Imagine cutting loose a cloud of nerve gas from a safe distance and then walking through and Mozambiqueing any struggling survivors.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 11:06:34 PM EDT
[#49]
It helps when you realize that bees are only after one thing.........pollen. beyond that if you don't threaten them , they pretty much ignore you.

Bottom line, stop think your so important, nature doesn't give a shit about us puny humans. (unless you are a threat to nature, then you will be dealt with, sometimes harshly)
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 11:10:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

That one goes to the grave with me. I shouldn't have even mentioned it.

Point is, a bee sting pales in comparison and yet...I wig out around the damn things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This has to merit more discussion than just a casual mention in an obscure thread about bees and heights.  Story?  Pictures?  Video?

That one goes to the grave with me. I shouldn't have even mentioned it.

Point is, a bee sting pales in comparison and yet...I wig out around the damn things.

Admit it, you went skeet shooting with Dick Cheney didn't you?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top