Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:54:35 PM EDT
[#1]
With surplus ammo a thing of the past now, there's no reason on earth to want a .30 Carbine AR when you could do a .300BO AR.

And I'm no .300BO fanboy. I don't own one. Never have. It holds very little appeal for me and for the uses I have for rifles in general. But it's a hands-down better cartridge.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:06:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With surplus ammo a thing of the past now, there's no reason on earth to want a .30 Carbine AR when you could do a .300BO AR.

And I'm no .300BO fanboy. I don't own one. Never have. It holds very little appeal for me and for the uses I have for rifles in general. But it's a hands-down better cartridge.
View Quote

There are lots of reasons, actually.

The Carbine's are much more simple to operate and generally more user friendly to new users and non-gunny people. I just completed an academy that required qualification with an AR. Those therein who had never fired or handled an AR were visibly bewildered by the platform.

As far as the cartridges...come on man, if the 300 BO is "better" than the .30 Carbine, then the 7.62x39 in "better" than the .300 BO, and the 7.62x51 is "better" than the 7.62.x39 etc. etc.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:33:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The Carbine's are much more simple to operate and generally more user friendly to new users and non-gunny people. I just completed an academy that required qualification with an AR. Those therein who had never fired or handled an AR were visibly bewildered by the platform.

As far as the cartridges...come on man, if the 300 BO is "better" than the .30 Carbine, then the 7.62x39 in "better" than the .300 BO, and the 7.62x51 is "better" than the 7.62.x39 etc. etc.
View Quote

Re-read my post. I said '30 Carbine AR. I didn't say '30 Carbine'. And the people posting in this thread by and large aren't non-gun people trying to learn to shoot for the first time. And the x39 isn't better because it has weird geometry that takes oddball magazines, and the x51 won't fit in an AR15.

The .300BO is 'swap a barrel and go' simple for the existing AR user. It's a no-brainer. And again, I don't even own one. I'm just recognizing that the cartridge makes a lot of sense for the guy who wants .30 Carbine ballistics in an AR. Except that you can get those ballistics with starting loads, or go much higher if you need the extra performance.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:55:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Re-read my post. I said '30 Carbine AR. I didn't say '30 Carbine'. And the people posting in this thread by and large aren't non-gun people trying to learn to shoot for the first time. And the x39 isn't better because it has weird geometry that takes oddball magazines, and the x51 won't fit in an AR15.

The .300BO is 'swap a barrel and go' simple for the existing AR user. It's a no-brainer. And again, I don't even own one. I'm just recognizing that the cartridge makes a lot of sense for the guy who wants .30 Carbine ballistics in an AR. Except that you can get those ballistics with starting loads, or go much higher if you need the extra performance.
View Quote

I read your post correctly. The M1 Carbine holds certain advantages over the AR. It's lighter, it has a more slender profile, and its operation is more simple, and I say this as the owner of three AR's. I understand this is an AR-15 forum and therefore there's lots of love for the AR. But sometimes one has to think outside of that AR box.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 12:01:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I read your post correctly. The M1 Carbine holds certain advantages over the AR. It's lighter, it has a more slender profile, and its operation is more simple, and I say this as the owner of three AR's. I understand this is an AR-15 forum and therefore there's lots of love for the AR. But sometimes one has to think outside of that AR box.
View Quote

You didn't read it correctly. Your second sentence betrays that. I did not make any comparison between the two different platforms. My comment was specifically towards the two different cartridges with both being in the AR platform.

Whether I think your point is right or wrong is irrelevant; your point had nothing to do with my post.

Link Posted: 12/13/2021 12:07:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can’t see in what way a carbine is any simpler to operate than an AR. Further it is definitely harder to field strip.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 1:20:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:  I can’t see in what way a carbine is any simpler to operate than an AR. Further it is definitely harder to field strip.
View Quote

We've had this discussion before here - it's not that the mechanism is simpler or there are less steps to operate it - it's that b/c the action is open, it's more intuitive for noobs.  Pull bolt back, see big empty space, put magazine in big empty space, see bullets at top of mag, let bolt go, see bolt feed bullet into bbl.  Similar advantage to the SKS or any other top loading bolt action.  Less mud resistant, less accurate, more expensive to produce.  Easy enough to build if all the parts are in spec.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 1:22:36 AM EDT
[#8]
ammo prices for it are dumb.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 1:48:30 AM EDT
[#9]
lol no
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 10:23:58 AM EDT
[#10]
A Mini-14 that shot accurately in 350 Legend would be awesome.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 10:45:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Except that the M1 carbine is nowhere near as reliable as an AR-15.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 10:48:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
ammo prices for it are dumb.
View Quote

And it's an elderly caliber with shit performance.

It's one thing to be a WW2 reenactor and want an M1 Carbine.

It's entirely a new level of derp to want an AR15 chambered in 30 Carbine that takes M1 Carbine mags.  

@OP:

They would sell like soggy toast, only slightly worse than a new manu SVD, though.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 10:52:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Isn't the solution as simple as you calling Fulton Armory and ordering 100,000 rifles?

You negotiate a lower priced based on volume and you handle the warehouse and logistics of keeping them in stock at retail stores.  

They can increase production with your firm order because you have proven the demand by placing the order.  

View Quote

Fulton isn't a gun manufacture, their a gunsmithing service that started "making" M1 Carbines in 2012 by first using USGI receivers then outsourcing new production receivers to a 3rd party.

Their limited to what that party can provide and have had to stop offering carbines this year over the summer because their supplier couldn't keep up with the demand they had.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 10:55:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why not just buy an m1 carbine? Mine's awesome.
View Quote

Basically this.

I love mine. It’s a DCM Winchester purchased by my granddad in 1963 for $20.

But the AR already does everything way better than the carbine. Buy a carbine because shooting the carbine is fun. Not for the .30 round itself.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:03:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I’d rather have an M1 carbine in 5.56.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:09:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Biggest problem with M1 Carbines is the magazine itself, they were designed to be a 1-2 use item. The M-16 had similar issues with mags IIRR and reliability issues early on also.

Now a days the biggest issues with reliability and the M1 Carbine is worn parts on 75 year old guns that haven't seen service in years. Worn springs, ejectors and loose fitting slides are the 3 major things that cause issues with them.

I've had 4 Carbines "tech inspected" by Fulton Armory since 2019. Before the check all ran "decent" but I could never get through a range session (100-150 rounds) without 1-2 FTF or FTE's.

Since I got each back and had worn parts replaced (2 needed new slides, something I couldn't inspect or gauge myself) they've all run like sewing machines with quality ammo (I avoid Aquilia brand .30 Carbine because it's underpowered compared to other brands).

Same with my 1966 Plainfield. Since I changed the springs myself it's become 95% reliable. The 5% I write off as it doesn't like 1 of the mags I use as shooting mags.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:11:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mini-14 is 87% of what you want.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:12:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I saw what you did there……slick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They should make a new 30 cartridge that works with the existing lowers and mags for the 5.56/223, they could even make loads that work in shorter length barrels, maybe even can it. That would be cool to just be able to switch uppers.

I saw what you did there……slick.

LMAO
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:22:37 AM EDT
[#19]

I've always wanted an AR in .303 Brit just because I have a lot of it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
In decades long past the M1 Carbine had 3 things going for it:

1- Cheap Surplus M1 Carbines (my dad tells stories of barrels full of them at gun stores in the 50's-60's)

2- Light handy Carbine, easy to carry

3- Cheap surplus Ammo.

Now only one of these advantages remain for the M1 Carbine.

When you put 30 Carbine in an AR you loose all the advantages.
View Quote

I thought I was getting fucked a few months back @52 CPR.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/13/2021 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But then I’d have to own a mini-14.

Proprietary mags kind of ruin it for me, I wish they’d make a STANAG version.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 3:02:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Marlin Model 62 for the lever action
View Quote

Had to look that one up.  Damn, I want one of those, although I would prefer .357 magnum.  Like a ruger 96/44
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 12:30:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You didn't read it correctly. Your second sentence betrays that. I did not make any comparison between the two different platforms. My comment was specifically towards the two different cartridges with both being in the AR platform.

Whether I think your point is right or wrong is irrelevant; your point had nothing to do with my post.

View Quote

Yep, I read your post wrong!
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 12:48:33 AM EDT
[#24]
I’m not gonna lie.

I may not be interested in an M1 Carbine mag AR,
But if some crazy desert Eagle type handgun came out that took M1 Carbine mags I’m in.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 1:04:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Forget the AR in 30 carbine.

I think a PS90 in 30 carbine would be interesting, at least when ammo was more plentiful. 30 Carbine cartridge dimensions are similar although a little bit bigger to the 5.7 and still cheaper even now. Should hold 45-50 rounds in a similar size mag.

Link Posted: 12/15/2021 1:29:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Because they make an AR 15 in .300blk that uses standard AR magazines?

But just for eye candy......

Link Posted: 12/15/2021 1:36:24 AM EDT
[#27]
I agree, sometimes while shooting my AR's I often stop and think "If only this used more expensive ammo, magazines, AND had less range and inferior ballistics."
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 1:37:10 AM EDT
[#28]
OP make sure you get the Ruger Blackhawk in 30 carbine to go with it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 1:42:23 AM EDT
[#29]
1) Using expensive magazines. Vs cheap AR mags.

2) Shooting a cartridge that was inadequate when it was introduced. But it was wartime so it was introduced.

3) Superseded by 80 years of technology.

It’s a stupid idea that only appeals to boomers.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 1:54:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
And it's an elderly caliber with shit performance.
View Quote

According to the old NYPD guys that used them and Gary Roberts it's actually a really good cartridge for police and home defense use.

The bullets expand reliably and penetrate deeply.

I just don't think it makes sense to do an organ transplant to make it work in an AR when 300 BO is better.

But in a carbine? Drive on!
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 1:59:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Bradders made a straight pull in .30 carb for Britain gun laws.
View Quote

I did one for mjohn3006.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 1:08:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Zero interest in an AR chambered in 30 carbine.   I can't figure out why I would want that over .300blk.

That is different than having an M1 to shoot 30 carbine.   I would not mind having one, but prices are stupid.

Ruger Mini 14 and Mini 30 exist.  

Those are better comparison.   M1 versus one those chambered in 300blk or 7.62x39?

Link Posted: 12/15/2021 1:29:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
.30 carbine AR15 that takes M1 Carbine magazines.   I think it would be a hot seller
View Quote

Why, when .30 carbine will fit inside the dimensions of a P90 50 round magazine?
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 1:53:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

But .30 carbines cost stupid money these days…
View Quote

Yep, and when the carbines die out so will the round.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Zero interest in an AR chambered in 30 carbine.   I can't figure out why I would want that over .300blk.

That is different than having an M1 to shoot 30 carbine.   I would not mind having one, but prices are stupid.

Ruger Mini 14 and Mini 30 exist.  

Those are better comparison.   M1 versus one those chambered in 300blk or 7.62x39?

https://ruger.com/products/mini14TacticalRifle/images/5864.jpg
View Quote

I used to shoot deer with a Mini-30.

It was unreliable and inaccurate and frankly didn't kill deer all that well.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 2:06:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then the round should be around for decades to come. A well maintained USGI spec Carbine will last for years to come. I've 2 USGI Inlands and a Howa produced one that have seen rebuilds by Fulton Armory so their basically like new rifles. Even my NPM that saw a tech check by FA and needed minimal service will be around long after I'm dead and gone.

Link Posted: 12/15/2021 2:19:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Why, when .30 carbine will fit inside the dimensions of a P90 50 round magazine?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
.30 carbine AR15 that takes M1 Carbine magazines.   I think it would be a hot seller

So... it's possible to build this in .30 Carbine?:

Link Posted: 12/15/2021 2:29:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Over 6.1M M1 Carbines were built during WWII.

Since then, we've seen post-war production carbines from Universal, Plainfield, IWI, AO, "Inland," Fulton, and others. Oh, and for 53 years, Ruger has been building and selling Blackhawks in .30 Carbine, too.

Name ONE centerfire cartridge with that "died out" despite having that many guns in circulation.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 2:39:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I want a Lewis Gun in .30-30.
View Quote

That actually might work.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 3:52:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Since then, we've seen post-war production carbines from Universal, Plainfield, IWI, AO, "Inland," Fulton, and others. Oh, and for 53 years, Ruger has been building and selling Blackhawks in .30 Carbine, too.

Name ONE centerfire cartridge with that "died out" despite having that many guns in circulation.
View Quote

Desperation is a stinky cologne.

It's already in progress.  The rifles and ammo are already more expensive than makes sense once one excludes nostalgia. Thats not going to be getting better.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 5:59:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It's already in progress.  The rifles and ammo are already more expensive than makes sense once one excludes nostalgia. Thats not going to be getting better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ammo price isn’t horrible, but the price of the guns is getting stupid.

One day soon the average gun owner won’t be able to afford a carbine and at that point ammo production will start winding down due to reduced demand. It’s unfortunate.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 6:38:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

One day soon the average gun owner won’t be able to afford a carbine and at that point ammo production will start winding down due to reduced demand. It’s unfortunate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The price of USGI guns has increased due to renewed interest in them and the finite number available. Before the current Covid panic the price was reasonable for both USGI and the new production Carbines.

Whenever there is a rush on ammo the price of 30 Carbine always goes up and takes longer than more common calibers to go down.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 7:41:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I want one in the venerable .357 magnum 125 gr Remington load.  No other cartridge, including the .50 BMG has the same manstopping track record.
View Quote

.357AR.  5.56 trimmed to .357 Maximum length, sized and loaded according to .357 Maximum load data.

Even better than .357 Magnum.

For an easier solution go .350 Legend. Essentially the same thing, slightly different brass.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're all over the place.

What determines whether or not a given cartridge "makes sense?"

You could probably cover 90%+ of all real world civilian firearms use cases with just .22lr, 9mm, 5.56, and 12ga. Throw in something like .300wm, and there's basically no gap in what you could do. And yet, there are hundreds of calibers out there, dozens of which are regularly stocked and sold.

Does .45acp or .45Colt make sense? How about .243 and .270? How about 10mm and .45-70? They still make and sell ammo in .303 British and 8mm Mauser. Does that make sense?

Here's the reality: outside of some massive change to our way of life, once a few million firearms in a given caliber have hit the market, that caliber is here forever. That includes .30 Carbine.

Link Posted: 12/15/2021 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a difficult time taking seriously anyone who complains about ammo prices. If ammo prices are a problem, then you're not a handloader, and if you're not a handloader, then it's probable that you do not shoot enough to have much of an opinion on the subject of shooting.

Pre-election .30 Carbine prices were about .36 per round. Handloads run at most, .14 per round (cast handloads), .22 (commercial cast handloads) and .29 for jacketed handloads. So an M1 Carbine really isn't expensive to shoot.    

Regarding the prices of the carbines themselves, they sell for whatever they're worth.  Midway recently imported and offered a couple thousand of them, ranging in price from $1400-$2000, and sold out in less than a day. So a few thousand people didn't think they were too expensive.

Open your mind. There is life outside of AR's.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 8:02:13 PM EDT
[#46]
While we're talking about goofy gun ideas that nobody will buy, I want a bolt action rifle with the contours of a .22LR, but a centerfire in .25ACP.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 8:05:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:  You're all over the place.

What determines whether or not a given cartridge "makes sense?"

You could probably cover 90%+ of all real world civilian firearms use cases with just .22lr, 9mm, 5.56, and 12ga. Throw in something like .300wm, and there's basically no gap in what you could do. And yet, there are hundreds of calibers out there, dozens of which are regularly stocked and sold.

Does .45acp or .45Colt make sense? How about .243 and .270? How about 10mm and .45-70? They still make and sell ammo in .303 British and 8mm Mauser. Does that make sense?

Here's the reality: outside of some massive change to our way of life, once a few million firearms in a given caliber have hit the market, that caliber is here forever. That includes .30 Carbine.
View Quote

Does that mean .45 GAP is not coming?  
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 8:06:22 PM EDT
[#48]
So... An underpowered 300blk?
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 8:37:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
While we're talking about goofy gun ideas that nobody will buy, I want a bolt action rifle with the contours of a .22LR, but a centerfire in .25ACP.
View Quote

I seem remember someone on the Cast Boolit site doing this, although it was probably a single shot.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 8:53:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I seem remember someone on the Cast Boolit site doing this, although it was probably a single shot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I heard of one bolt action conversion that was done too...IIRC on a Remington 581. Builder said it was a bitch and not worth the effort. But it's one of those ideas that comes back when I get bored.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top