Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 9:57:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Meh, walk up while recording, confirm the other party is ok, exchange insurances, take pics of scene, and then scoot on out of there as lkk on bg as your vehicle is driveable

Screw waiting around just ‘cause.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 10:01:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I really wish I had a traffic camera going so I could review it and be sure about the lack of a turn signal, not that it matters. I did avert my eyes from the roadway for a second and I hit her from behind so it's technically my fault, there is no denying that but I am 99% sure there was no turn signal.

View Quote

When you finally take full responsibility without any sarcastic footnotes, let us know.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 10:03:19 AM EDT
[#3]
There’s only one way you can save face OP.

Provide an AAR on you fucking the cop.  She’s a city kitty right?

Bonus points for cuffs or pistol whips.

Link Posted: 2/15/2024 10:05:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is why they are called accidents.

View Quote
Ah. No.

It's called following too closely and not paying attention. If people took driving seriously "accidents" could be virtually eliminated.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 10:05:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I think that the OP has suffered enough and will learn from this.  For the rest of us; slow down, pay attention and don’t tail gate.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 10:06:59 AM EDT
[#6]
In for the, “some distracted driver asshole rear ended my wife and tried to bully her into not getting a police report,” parody thread.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 10:09:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Committing home last night I reached down to grab a water bottle in the console, I glanced down for a second at most and than the next thing I know the car in front of me is almost at a complete stop and in the process of making a right hand turn.   I swerve into the oncoming lane but there just wasn't enough time/space to steer clear entirely of this woman's car and I ended up hitting her left rear end of her vehicle, doing minimal damage to her SUV and quite a bit to mine.

She claims she used her turn signal but I don't recall seeing one, so I suspect she may have flipped it on right as she was starting to turn onto the roadway leading to her house.

The guy behind me stops and we both go up to check the damage and he reminds both of us " Cops don't need to be involved for this unless there is an injury, its a fender bender so you can just exchange insurance information "

" Well my husband is a police officer so there will be cops involved for sure ".  Other guy just rolls his eyes and walks away.

An hour and 3 cops later Im finally home.

No ticket or anything, just a lot of aggravation.

No other accidents on my record for the past 30+ years, last ticket was roughly 15 years ago for speeding...probably 10 over the speed limit or something.  Insurance is Allstate, how much can I expect my rates to go up?

It's amazing how quickly it all happened...one second she was 1.5-2 car lengths in front of me, a second later she's almost stopped in the roadway and turning.  I really wish I had a traffic camera going so I could review it and be sure about the lack of a turn signal, not that it matters. I did avert my eyes from the roadway for a second and I hit her from behind so it's technically my fault, there is no denying that but I am 99% sure there was no turn signal.

The fact that she was a " slow turner " didn't help matters either.  I'm not saying you should make turns going at highway speeds, but these folks who slow down and almost come to a complete stop and take forever to make a turn are a ridiculous.
View Quote

Why is she a KAREN? You fucked up.  You admit to distracted driving, and yet she's at fault for "slow turning"? You are damn lucky you weren't written, especially if her hubby was a cop, go buy a lottery ticket if she doesn't report a neck injury
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 10:11:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
OP is fixated on turn signals but apparently completely disregards brake lights, as if the smaller, yellow lights are somehow more relevant in this situation.
View Quote

But reading his story, he was looking at the floor for his water bottle. He could see nothing from that point, yet the lady is the Karen and a "slow turner".
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 10:15:12 AM EDT
[#9]
OP has been here for 16 years and thought creating a thread like this was a good idea.

His bad decision making isn’t limited to just his driving habits.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 10:20:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I just read your state law and that's not a blanket requirement. Only if it's a "reportable accident", which by state law is
View Quote

I dont know of an agency in this state that will do any kind of 349 where only one party is present (outside of a hit and run).
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 10:22:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:I dont know of an agency in this state that will do any kind of 349 where only one party is present (outside of a hit and run).
View Quote

I understand. Just reporting what I see available, as reference for drivers.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 10:25:22 AM EDT
[#12]
You should get two citations; failure to maintain assured clear distance ahead and misuse of "Karen" in your title.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 10:27:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel!
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 10:30:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

But reading his story, he was looking at the floor for his water bottle. He could see nothing from that point, yet the lady is the Karen and a "slow turner".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP is fixated on turn signals but apparently completely disregards brake lights, as if the smaller, yellow lights are somehow more relevant in this situation.

I don't disagree with you at all.  I'm simply pointing out the flaw in OP's "logic", if we can even call it that.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 10:34:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Sorry bud, its your fualt, eyes on the road at all times.

With that said, I worked as a paralegal in mostly traffic accidents for a few years "in my younger years". If theres no injury, it typically wont affect your ins. too much.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 10:44:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Brake lights ?  I saw them...but only when it was too late.
View Quote

Then you were too close.  Even if someone SLAMS their brakes on in front of you, you need to have sufficient distance to stop.  High end sports cars only deliver like 100ft 60-0 braking distances, just for reference.

Figure 1 car length minimum PLUS ONE length for every 10 MPH.  The first initial car length is to actually give yourself time to react.
10 mph = 30ft
20 mph = 45ft
30 mph = 60ft ...

If you're going to tailgate... don't take your eyes off the road "even for a just second" .  Even if you're thirsty.  Sounds like you should get a more modern vehicle with accident avoidance for our sake.  Although you still have to have assured clear distance for it to, you know... actually work.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 10:52:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Now you know why you keep your eyes on the road.
View Quote

Yep and OP is trying to blame the victim: she was a slow turner, he did not see her turn signals.....  He is lucky she was not screaming for an ambulance.
Will his next phone call be from Morgan, Morgan and Morgan, or another accident law firm.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 10:54:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No shit ?

Like I said 30 years ( at least ) of safe driving indicates that I do.  Accident 30 years ago was a minor fender bender that involved an animal.  car in front me braked hard to avoid an animal running across the roadway, I braked hard, but not hard enough and basically tapped his bumper putting a scratch on it.  Im not even sure we bothered with insurance or not.  We were both driving beat to shit cars so I am remembering correctly we both drove off without exchanging information.
View Quote

I'm seeing a history here of you following too closely to safely stop.  Again, this one was 100% on you.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 10:54:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
bullshit

I can think a few things to not make it my fault resending some one

For example a person meeting in front of me with no signal and then breaking hard when there wasn’t enough room for a safe merge.
View Quote

Still your fault. You shouldn’t have been close enough to rear end him even if he did all of that.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 10:55:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Unfortunately, people lie all the time about how events unfolded, and many don't have actual insurance.  Many others also go on to claim injury, making accidents drag on for years.  It's almost always a better option to get a police report for an accident (unless, of course, you're the one at fault ;) ).
View Quote
One lady that rear ended my wife while she was stopped at a light went a step further and tried to claim it didn't happen at all.

This was after photos, and a police report.

People are assholes.

Stop following so close.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 10:57:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That is incorrect. They are called "collisions".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is why they are called accidents.

That is incorrect. They are called "collisions".
A quote from a NWNTI graduate and instructor reconstructionist: "There are no accidents, only collisions."

There is always a cause.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 11:06:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not denying the bolded part...It's just arm chair analysis after the fact but her giving a timely signal could changed the outcome.  That doesn't mean it's her fault and Im not saying that.  It's just one small thing that could have changed the outcome and as I said MANY here do not use turn signals and make sudden turns without signals so I should have been more attentive knowing that.  

View Quote

You're just going to continue to double down.  Maybe she did signal, and you were distracted longer that one second.  Good grief, man.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 11:12:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Karen
Just had to call the police even though she didn’t have to
Must not have had her turn signal on
She claims but had to have done it last second
She just had minor damage, I’m the one that had major damage
She was a slow turner
Just a fender bender
Other guy was on my side
Been a good driver for 30 years
99% at fault
Took an hour out of my life and 3 cops to sort this nonsense

I can add more…
View Quote

Welcome fellow fire arm enthusiasts.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 11:13:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Bad day

Hope today gets better
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 11:13:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 11:20:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Given what body work costs nowadays even for minor dings, I'd push for an accident report too just in case.

Last deer strike I had ended up with minor damage to the rear fender and quarter panel to the point where I considered not fixing it but it was still over $3000, on a high miles beater.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 11:22:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I just read your state law and that's not a blanket requirement. Only if it's a "reportable accident", which by state law is
View Quote

With today’s inflated prices, and newer cars being a lot more complex, you can just about breathe on a car and cause more than $1000 damage.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 11:31:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
OP has been here for 16 years and thought creating a thread like this was a good idea.

View Quote

Fact.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 11:37:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Treat others how you want to be treated.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 11:48:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I had a similar situation 6-7 years ago. It was literally all my fault, driving too fast for the traffic, construction zone, and the sun blind situation (facing the sun due east at 6 pm), and I looked down to mark a cop on Waze. I braked and only managed to hit the lady doing about 4 miles an hour right on her trailer hitch. Cop pulled up immediately and started citing me. I didn’t offer any excuses and was just keeping quiet. Her husband gets out looks at both cars and say “looks like he took the worst of it if he hit the hitch.” The lady shrieked ,”WHAT ABOUT THE SHOCKS!?!?!?!!!¡!!” His eyes fell to the ground in immediate defeat. Then she start complaining her neck might hurt. Officer asked if she wanted an ambulance and she said she wanted one and she wanted them to call a second ambulance for her friend in the back seat. Her friend then gets out and the lady starts to convince her she needs an ambulance just in case. They settled on a single ambulance with the cop they’d both ride in. I got my ticket they got their ride and I was off. Couple of days later I get a random call from some lady “Hi this is broomhilda calling from ambulance chaser esquire law firm to schedule the free water massage you requested from the accident you had a few days ago?” “I never requested anything from anyone.” “Is this not Karen xxxx that got in an accident on Route 32 this past Friday?” “Uhh no you called the wrong number on the police report, your type are we can’t have nice things in this country.” Click. I talked to a lawyer friend about the whole thing and he said insurance would cover everything and to forget about it and move on. My rates went up for a number of years but never heard anything else about that woman. Just a Karen bilking a minor situation. I’ll put my flame suit on anyway posting this story here.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/15/2024 11:52:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Karen
Just had to call the police even though she didn’t have to
Must not have had her turn signal on
She claims but had to have done it last second
She just had minor damage, I’m the one that had major damage
She was a slow turner
Just a fender bender
Other guy was on my side
Been a good driver for 30 years
99% at fault
Took an hour out of my life and 3 cops to sort this nonsense

I can add more…

Cute and completely irrelevant.  I’d wager I own far more guns than you, or at a minimum far, far more than the average long time member here.

If the majority of ar15 members are like the OP, then it’s not a good sign.  Fortunately, this thread makes it appear that the vast majority are people that take responsibility for their own actions.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 11:56:17 AM EDT
[#32]
1.5-2 car lengths is way too close dude.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:31:57 PM EDT
[#33]

its a hassle but you'll recover.  if you think about it -- it probably happens a 1,000 times a day every day

yes your rates will go up.  possibly a lot.    again it sucks -- but welcome to reality

and i won't lecture from a high horse.  i hit a guy coming out a parking garage at low speed once -- he stopped in the middle of the road unexpectedly and i was putting the change from the parking booth in my wallet and looked down briefly.  obviously not expecting him to stop for no reason in the middle of the road.

oh well.  lesson re-learned :  even a couple seconds inattention can facilitate an accident
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:32:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Hmmm, required police report here.
View Quote

Tucson and San Diego.  Zero police response, no report, if there are no injuries.  They will respond to vehicles blocking traffic, but same, no report.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:36:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:38:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Everyone's had close calls .
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:47:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Tucson and San Diego.  Zero police response, no report, if there are no injuries.  They will respond to vehicles blocking traffic, but same, no report.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmmm, required police report here.

Texas requires reporting collisions if they result in damage exceeding $1000.00, injuries, or deaths.  You’re strongly encouraged to get one every time because the other guy’s ID and proof of insurance could be fake.  That was the case the last time I got rear ended.  The other driver was an illegal alien with fake everything.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:57:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Texas requires reporting collisions if they result in damage exceeding $1000.00, injuries, or deaths.  You’re strongly encouraged to get one every time because the other guy’s ID and proof of insurance could be fake.  That was the case the last time I got rear ended.  The other driver was an illegal alien with fake everything.
View Quote

Yep, usually if someone does not want the police to arrive, its because they have a reason they don't want the police to come. I witnessed a lady hit a guy riding his bicycle, he went flying. He got up said no police, and walked off with his bike. He looked like a possible illegal, or perhaps had drugs on him.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 1:04:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Now you know why you keep your eyes on the road.
View Quote

What if he hadn't gotten the bottle then, she slams on brakes,he starts to apply his and the bottle goes under the brake pedal, keeping him from applying adequate brake pressure and hits her at full speed.

OP was possibly fucked either way on this thing and removing the bottle was the BEST case scenario.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 1:07:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Committing home last night I reached down to grab a water bottle in the console, I glanced down for a second at most and than the next thing I know the car in front of me is almost at a complete stop and in the process of making a right hand turn.   I swerve into the oncoming lane but there just wasn't enough time/space to steer clear entirely of this woman's car and I ended up hitting her left rear end of her vehicle, doing minimal damage to her SUV and quite a bit to mine.

She claims she used her turn signal but I don't recall seeing one, so I suspect she may have flipped it on right as she was starting to turn onto the roadway leading to her house.

The guy behind me stops and we both go up to check the damage and he reminds both of us " Cops don't need to be involved for this unless there is an injury, its a fender bender so you can just exchange insurance information "

" Well my husband is a police officer so there will be cops involved for sure ".  Other guy just rolls his eyes and walks away.

An hour and 3 cops later Im finally home.

No ticket or anything, just a lot of aggravation.

No other accidents on my record for the past 30+ years, last ticket was roughly 15 years ago for speeding...probably 10 over the speed limit or something.  Insurance is Allstate, how much can I expect my rates to go up?

It's amazing how quickly it all happened...one second she was 1.5-2 car lengths in front of me, a second later she's almost stopped in the roadway and turning.  I really wish I had a traffic camera going so I could review it and be sure about the lack of a turn signal, not that it matters. I did avert my eyes from the roadway for a second and I hit her from behind so it's technically my fault, there is no denying that but I am 99% sure there was no turn signal.

The fact that she was a " slow turner " didn't help matters either.  I'm not saying you should make turns going at highway speeds, but these folks who slow down and almost come to a complete stop and take forever to make a turn are a ridiculous.
View Quote

So you have been driving 30+ years, and you think that her lack of turn signal exonerates you for being at fault for hitting here from behind?
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 1:08:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The nerve of her for being a slow turner and being cautious.

Maybe she should not look at the road while driving , that sounds much safer.
View Quote

I have seen it all now. Someone from RI telling people how to drive.

What will be next, someone from CT telling people how it's done?
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 1:26:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

This was my first thought
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 1:33:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Poster admits to being wrong and still blames her?
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 1:37:07 PM EDT
[#44]
I used to work with a woman who's husband was the chief of police in our area.
She rear ended another vehicle one day and when the young constable saw the name on her license she told me he looked like he didn't know whether to shit or go sailing...

Eileen, being the honorable sort assured the young cop to do/write whatever was appropriate and not to consider anything else.
She ended up with a ticket and that was the end of it.

I would have loved to see that cop at muster the next day telling his buddies the story..

"Guess who I wrote up yesterday..."
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 1:48:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Did the responding officer use "discretion"?  
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 1:48:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Why you no watch where you go?
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 1:49:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Why you no watch where you go?
View Quote

hydration
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 1:51:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Even with OP's self serving description, it would appear he wasn't just "technically" at fault as he put it.
It would appear he was totally at fault. Folks love to spin things to reflect themselves in the best possible light.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 1:52:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I used to work with a woman who's husband was the chief of police in our area.
She rear ended another vehicle one day and when the young constable saw the name on her license she told me he looked like he didn't know whether to shit or go sailing...

Eileen, being the honorable sort assured the young cop to do/write whatever was appropriate and not to consider anything else.
She ended up with a ticket and that was the end of it.

I would have loved to see that cop at muster the next day telling his buddies the story..

"Guess who I wrote up yesterday..."
View Quote

booooo to cops that write people tickets on wrecks
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 1:55:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The nerve of her for being a slow turner and being cautious.

Maybe she should not look at the road while driving , that sounds much safer.
View Quote

It peeves me off too. The "defensive driving" thing to do is slow down as little as possible (account for visibility on the road you're turning onto).  I'm always afraid I'm going to get tagged in the rear when I have to brake for someone stopping to make a right turn lime that.

This is 100% on OP. 2 car lengths is following to close. It's WAAAAY too close if you're going to take your eyes off the road at all.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top