User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 3:28:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not far from the truth.

Dispatchers usually only last about a year or two in that job.

It's incredibly hard and stressful. Lots of undiagnosed PTSD from doing it.

It is a suck ass job.
View Quote
HA. HAHAHAHAHA. You actually said PTSD. Their sort of calls are our sort of calls, 99% silliness, stupidness, or average at best. The “horrible” 1% are still usually not tragic. The really tragic calls are pretty few and far between in the grand scheme.  Obviously they happen, they CAN affect a call taker, but it’s not knocking all of them out of the business every couple of years. It’s the shitty pay doing that.

ETA: all the thin x line bullshit has completely jumped the shark. It did that when fire jumped in with the coppers so we could get out of tickets. PTSD has turned meaningless too, everyone has it now, what a bunch of weak ass bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 3:38:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
One of the neighbors down the street is flying the dispatcher flag. Of course, I had no idea what it meant until my wife looked it up. We were driving by, and I was like "Oh, good lord, there's a thin yellow line now, whose dicks are we supposed to start sucking next?"
View Quote
Tow truck drivers are doing it too, in between repos.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 3:41:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Our dispatch supervisor has the little stick family thing on her car window. For herself she put a police officer. This woman is a 350lbs walking stereotype, when someone called her out about having a police officer representing herself she got really offended and said dispatching and police officer weren't that different.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 3:41:43 PM EDT
[#4]
This was hung up at work recently.  I want to ask questions but I'm already known as a smart ass

Link Posted: 9/7/2019 3:47:21 PM EDT
[#5]
YOU'RE WELCOME FOR MY SERVICE!!!

Link Posted: 9/7/2019 3:47:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

There's a car around here with a Lineman's Wife sticker on the back glass.

Eta: I also know a woman who's married to a local deputy, she had a sticker with his unit number made up and put it in her back glass, like "<3 unit 27" or something.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 3:49:11 PM EDT
[#7]
What is with the infinity sign on the lower right side?
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 3:49:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Headset because well, they use one.

Skull because whoever that is is dead inside due to that suckass job.

View Quote
Haha. My first thought too.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 3:50:27 PM EDT
[#9]
They're now considered first responders here in Texas.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 3:54:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That’s as bad as the TBL “wife” sticker I saw on a vehicle the other day. Why would anyone want to advertise they’re a cops wife? That’s like painting a giant target on your car for every criminal fuck out there
View Quote
There's a few of them in the drop off /pickup area at my kid's school. TBL hearts and skulls all over. Decals with the families names and everything
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 3:58:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Need the Oprah meme...

You get a sticker, you get a sticker, even the dispatcher gets a sticker!
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 4:03:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Billy bad ass right there. There's usually one or two dispatchers in every PSAP that wear 5.11 pants and a thin blue line punisher shirt or something ironic like that.

if you ask them what they do, they're basically door kickers with a headset.

Edit - the majority are great people that have a sense of community service and are good at their jobs. But when you meet that special dispatcher, they're speicial.
View Quote
Some of the analysts at USDOS Diplomatic Security are whackjobs, with Terminator quotes in their email siglines and weirdo crap like that.  Obviously couldn't get past the psych exams to go to special agent school...
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 4:08:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Meh
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 4:19:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 4:22:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The big push now is to have dispatchers considered 'first responders' (I think TX started on Sept. 1).
While I admit they have to deal with and hear some fucked up things, they are not first responders.
View Quote
That push wasn't so much for the "pride" of being recognized as a first responder, or perks, or discounts (although you will likely hear a lot of that).  A huge part of it was dispatchers have been historically considered as clerical workers and managed like any other civilian employee of the city/county/district/state.  Because of that, they fall under the scope of FLSA regulations that limit schedules, hours per week/period, benefits, etc.

With most 24/7 dispatch centers across the country being critically low in staff, it really sucks for employees to be limited to a base 40 hours schedule due to FLSA regulations when a 36/48 12-hour rotating or compressed schedule (like many officers work) would go a long way to spreading the work load and make schedules more predictable.  Many dispatchers are already working  60-70 hours per week, but due to FLSA, they can't structure their schedule to make things easier on them.  Instead, they have to stick to a "normal" base schedule and get called in a short notice, get told they have mandatory OT 30 minutes before the end of shift, or have to work quick turn-arounds (8hrs between shifts).

And while it's true dispatchers are not first in a physical sense, they do have to hear and experience a lot of shit they simply have to brush to the side when they move on to the next call, such as my former co-worker who took a call from a man who set his house, family, and himself on fire while on the phone with her, or myself who was the last person the caller talked to when she said "Tell them it's not their fault" before hanging up and putting a shotgun to her chest.  I was already bitter and jaded and exposed to shit before I took that job, so while I certainly have memories, I'm no more mentally fucked up than I was before.    PTSD can be a real issue with many dispatchers/call-takers, and it largely goes unrecognized since people generally don't give a shit about what the dispatchers do or experience.

There are all flavors of personalities in the dispatch environment, and of course, not all dispatchers are created equal.  A dispatcher in a one-seat center working with three cops and a VFD will be much different than the ones managing 20-30 beat officers, 20 detectives/SROs/brass, and 10-20 full-time fire stations.

There are definitely some whackers out there (uniforms, 5.11, patches, pins, look-at-me-i'm-a-dispatcher, etc.), but I think a lot of that comes from the culture of their environment.  For every one of those, there are 99 others who are perfectly content to do the job and go about their business without making it a big deal.   In my observations, it's usually the smaller agencies that have the whacker dispatchers who gorge on pot-luck and beat off to LivePD while waiting for one of their two 9-1-1 calls on a shift.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
answering phones is hard!!!
View Quote
It must be since the training program where I worked was 6 months to a year, and only about 10% of trainees were able to complete training.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 4:31:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I feel for them.  They do have a tough job having to listen to people call and not being able to do a thing about it, and a lot of times they don't get resolution to whatever dramatic event it was.  But.....

We got this one guy who spends his time trying to give us directions to hydrants(they are on the computer, not needed, plus we got eyes and drive our district) and he tries to predict your transmission.  And sometimes he will prematurely clear you from a call because he thinks that is the case.  While he is doing all this he misses traffic from units and they get ignored until they repeat it.  That sucks if your traffic was really important.  Then he will answer you with excuses why he missed your traffic.

Overall our dispatchers are good people, but this guy grinds my gears.

Crappy rant over.
View Quote
I suspect I know who you're talking about.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 4:36:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This "Hero complex" bullshit has been out if hand since 9/11

And this is from a guy who lost a cousin (firefighter) in the towers.
View Quote
Next they'll be asking for double discounts at Lowes.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 4:40:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That push wasn't so much for the "pride" of being recognized as a first responder, or perks, or discounts (although you will likely hear a lot of that).  A huge part of it was dispatchers have been historically considered as clerical workers and managed like any other civilian employee of the city/county/district/state.  Because of that, they fall under the scope of FLSA regulations that limit schedules, hours per week/period, benefits, etc.

With most 24/7 dispatch centers across the country being critically low in staff, it really sucks for employees to be limited to a base 40 hours schedule due to FLSA regulations when a 36/48 12-hour rotating or compressed schedule (like many officers work) would go a long way to spreading the work load and make schedules more predictable.  Many dispatchers are already working  60-70 hours per week, but due to FLSA, they can't structure their schedule to make things easier on them.  Instead, they have to stick to a "normal" base schedule and get called in a short notice, get told they have mandatory OT 30 minutes before the end of shift, or have to work quick turn-arounds (8hrs between shifts).

And while it's true dispatchers are not first in a physical sense, they do have to hear and experience a lot of shit they simply have to brush to the side when they move on to the next call, such as my former co-worker who took a call from a man who set his house, family, and himself on fire while on the phone with her, or myself who was the last person the caller talked to when she said "Tell them it's not their fault" before hanging up and putting a shotgun to her chest.  I was already bitter and jaded and exposed to shit before I took that job, so while I certainly have memories, I'm no more mentally fucked up than I was before.    PTSD can be a real issue with many dispatchers/call-takers, and it largely goes unrecognized since people generally don't give a shit about what the dispatchers do or experience.

There are all flavors of personalities in the dispatch environment, and of course, not all dispatchers are created equal.  A dispatcher in a one-seat center working with three cops and a VFD will be much different than the ones managing 20-30 beat officers, 20 detectives/SROs/brass, and 10-20 full-time fire stations.

There are definitely some whackers out there (uniforms, 5.11, patches, pins, look-at-me-i'm-a-dispatcher, etc.), but I think a lot of that comes from the culture of their environment.  For every one of those, there are 99 others who are perfectly content to do the job and go about their business without making it a big deal.   In my observations, it's usually the smaller agencies that have the whacker dispatchers who gorge on pot-luck and beat off to LivePD while waiting for one of their two 9-1-1 calls on a shift.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The big push now is to have dispatchers considered 'first responders' (I think TX started on Sept. 1).
While I admit they have to deal with and hear some fucked up things, they are not first responders.

I remember one summer when a dispatcher on one channel had just over 100 elements to keep up with.  Something out of the ordinary was going on in that patrol division and they had the entire gang unit, auto theft and a couple of other units in addition to the large number of patrol units.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 4:59:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I’m wondering about the license plate.
View Quote
Adavanced
Placement
Equipment
Exchange
TAE=Taylor Swift
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 5:01:35 PM EDT
[#21]
i sleep easier knowing these heroes are out there
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 5:03:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Errbody is special.

They are operating, bro. Hence the skull. Operators love skull stickers.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 5:03:15 PM EDT
[#23]
A couple of ours are also VFF.

If any of you are limping along on an old Cassidian or Plant system hit me up.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 5:34:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A couple of ours are also VFF.

If any of you are limping along on an old Cassidian or Plant system hit me up.
View Quote
I work on (ie: configure/administer/troubleshoot) Vesta 9-1-1 systems  (currently Motorola, formerly Airbus, formerly Cassidian, formerly Plant...).
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 5:51:31 PM EDT
[#25]
My wife does this. No she doesn’t have this sticker.

Yes, there are days she comes home upset because she’s been on the phone trying to help someone with a dead spouse or child. Kinda puts a downer on the whole household for a couple of days.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 6:05:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Great post. Every job has their idiots
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 9:19:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I work on (ie: configure/administer/troubleshoot) Vesta 9-1-1 systems  (currently Motorola, formerly Airbus, formerly Cassidian, formerly Plant...).
View Quote
I’m upgrading my last site to have an old system and will be recycling a lot of spare parts if nobody wants them.

Any issues with the latest? The last release had a few hiccups and not everyone at Motorola was up to speed.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 11:30:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I’m upgrading my last site to have an old system and will be recycling a lot of spare parts if nobody wants them.

Any issues with the latest? The last release had a few hiccups and not everyone at Motorola was up to speed.
View Quote
IM sent
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 11:45:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I bet Boss has a sticker like that.
View Quote
Holy shit! That explains everything!!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 3:53:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Very well said.

And some people just can't fucking do it. Period. At my agency after someone was near the end of their training and mostly by themselves, the trainer and supervisor would casually find some excuse to leave the room leaving them alone to answer all calls. Then one of the officers would pretend to be in an OIS, or would call 911 and pretend they area citizen getting robbed/raped/whatever. I shit you not when I say that after that little test fully half the people said "I can't do this" and quit on the spot.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 12:16:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My wife does this. No she doesn’t have this sticker.

Yes, there are days she comes home upset because she’s been on the phone trying to help someone with a dead spouse or child. Kinda puts a downer on the whole household for a couple of days.
View Quote
Your wife has my utmost respect
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top