Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/28/2023 2:24:00 PM EDT
Long story short, I just called about a routine issue with my IHG Rewards card.  They said hey will you listen to a brief message if we bribe you?  I said sure, why not.  Bottom line I gave them $250 for a 4 day/3 night stay at a hotel to be fully refunded when I listen to a 2 hour spiel about timeshares.  LOL.  I don't want a fucking timeshare but I'm getting old and I like wasting other people's time, so why not!?

I fully intend to sit there for 2 hours and say NO!

How fucked am I?
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:25:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck getting the refund.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:26:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you read the fine print?
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:26:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Just say NO to timeshares.    In any form...by any name and that includes presentations.

You gave them money up front?   Wrong move.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:26:53 PM EDT
[#4]
We were invited to a Time Share presentation a few weeks ago and were essentially paid to go.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:27:30 PM EDT
[#5]
You should throw rocks at anyone who mentions a time share to you.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:27:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you read the fine print?
View Quote

phone call
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:28:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Clearly this is your first time share hustle. …or being hustled.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Long story short, I just called about a routine issue with my IHG Rewards card.  They said hey will you listen to a brief message if we bribe you?  I said sure, why not.  Bottom line I gave them $250 for a 4 day/3 night stay at a hotel to be fully refunded when I listen to a 2 hour spiel about timeshares.  LOL.  I don't want a fucking timeshare but I'm getting old and I like wasting other people's time, so why not!?

How fucked am I?
View Quote
That's how my parents got me a free Atari 800xl computer back in the 80s.

They got a few free trips listening to time share BS
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:29:30 PM EDT
[#9]
My parents did that a few times.

They were sitting through a presentation and they told the guy they couldn’t afford it. The salesman only believed them when my mom pointed out my brother and I dumpster diving behind a CVS looking for beach stuff. They let them go after I triumphantly found a slightly damaged boogie board.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:29:44 PM EDT
[#10]
When I was 10-12 years old my family went to Florida
My father took me to a time share presentation to teach me to never buy one
They worked hard to sell him but he never even spoke to them
Got free Disney tickets out of the deal
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:29:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Enjoy your new crimeshare.

It's the only obligation in business that doesn't end with your death.

In your will, leave it to someone you don't like or loved ones will curse your memory.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:30:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How fucked am I?
View Quote
It will be more than 2 hours
It will be hard sell from start to finish, they DO NOT want to let you out of the room without signing up
Those people are experts at making a time share seem like the most sound financial decision of your life
Good luck
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:32:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I did it once years ago, kept them thinking they had me if they just offered me more shit, then when I finally got what i could out of them I bailed. The guy wanted to murder me...
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:32:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I went to one at the moon palace all expense paid for one week.

Got there, ate next day went to the meeting for about two hours and got a bottle of wine and some other stuff

After the meeting they sat us in a room for a personal meeting.

After they said the price I said I will have to find out iif we can buy it from my bankruptcy attorney

I was walked out and I enjoyed 4 nights with all meals, drinks and flight included.

It was great

For anyone that was there that bought one I want to say thank you for the great free vacation
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:33:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Lol.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:35:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Ask whether sex is included with the purchase of the timeshare.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:37:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Tell them this is your last trip together and you are getting divorced.

Or you are having to sell your assets to cover the future bankruptcy proceeding.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:38:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Tell them you're too drunk to enter any legally binding contract as you crack open #1 of your carry 6 pack.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:39:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I thought buying a car was bad. Not even close to a timeshare hustle.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:40:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I hope you get the refund.  F*ck timeshares.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:41:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Nope nope nope.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:41:43 PM EDT
[#22]
If you pull up a timeshare listing on eBay that shows them available for $1, the presentation usually ends faster. It's even more effective if you can find one for the same company or resort.

You can also go to the AFVC site and find a week at most places for about $350 without any strings or commitment.

All timeshares are a scam. End of story.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:43:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Spam emails abound with 'smart timeshare owners' getting released from their contracts via the emails.

Sounds like an oxymoron to me, like congressional ethics.

Back in the '80's, knowing it was a scam, we sat through one just for yocks. Got an el cheapo 35mm camera out of it, and a lunch. Turned them down, and walked out.

Even then it was obvious they were 'no bueno'.

I've only met one person that would admit to actually owning one. He had one somewhere in Hawaii. He loved it, or professed to anyway.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:44:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Ask them why are law firms advertising on how to get out of timeshares on the TV?  
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:46:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:46:06 PM EDT
[#26]
It’s time your children revoke your internet privileges because you clearly can’t be trusted. I can only imagine how many Nigerian princes you gave your bank account information to.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:46:44 PM EDT
[#27]
OP's future

Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:55:08 PM EDT
[#28]
2 hours will become 3-4 of pain and repeatedly saying no.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:56:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:59:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If you pull up a timeshare listing on eBay that shows them available for $1, the presentation usually ends faster. It's even more effective if you can find one for the same company or resort.

You can also go to the AFVC site and find a week at most places for about $350 without any strings or commitment.

All timeshares are a scam. End of story.
View Quote
OP should absolutely do that.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:00:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Enjoy the timeshare you’re gonna get talked into buying.

Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:01:44 PM EDT
[#32]
You will be held hostage until you buy.

READ THE FINE PRINT.  2 hours is a joke, you will lose an entire day just trying to leave. Leave early and no gift or deposit back.

Best bet is that your time is way more valuable than the "Gift" you get.

Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:03:24 PM EDT
[#33]
My brother seems to think you can rescind your signature for anything within three days of signing no just about anything. I can see him going along with it and signing everything just to get a free trip, get the tickets, and turn around and tell them he takes back his signature.

He once bought a Jeep and made a loan then walks up to the sales manager's desks two days latter  and tell him he's reminding his signature.  Naturally the manager isn't receptive so my brother leaves the keys in front of him and says the Jeep is in front then walks out. He's spent half his life hanging up, blocking calls, not taking a certified lettter, and running from process servers.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:04:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

How fucked am I?
View Quote

They will probably see your phone # to the Indians. Microsoft will call soon to fix your puter
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:04:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Don't do it OP!  It never takes the time they say.  It takes many hours longer for one of their pitches!  

Fell for that once.  Now I'll just pay for the show/hotel/etc rather then sit through their BS.  Not worth the time.  Your not wasting their time, they are wasting yours.

Also there's a reason Attorneys exist that specialize in getting people out of Timeshares...
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:04:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You should throw rocks at anyone who mentions a time share to you.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:06:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You will be held hostage until you buy.

READ THE FINE PRINT.  2 hours is a joke, you will lose an entire day just trying to leave. Leave early and no gift or deposit back.

Best bet is that your time is way more valuable than the "Gift" you get.

View Quote

Yep, seems like it cost me 4 to 6 hours of my day.  And my GF at the time fell in love with their pitch, she damn near bought one.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:06:33 PM EDT
[#38]
You will never get your money back.  But, stupid should hurt.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:06:51 PM EDT
[#39]
OP will you tell us the truth of what happens?
Because I forsee DAYS of a nightmare in your future.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#40]
I have done this before to take the kids to Disney.

I walked out at the end of the talk. This was after every single MF had tried to personally get me to sign to the best deal ever.

Just don't sign anything, should be fun.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:09:30 PM EDT
[#41]
OP, there's plenty  of hustles that don't require YOU be the one that pays cash up front for a weekend stay. If I were you  I'd try to reverse the $250  charges and bail if possible. I really think that money paid for your weekend stay and they will NOT be giving it back. Hope you enjoy it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:12:06 PM EDT
[#42]
sorry OP, my time is worth more than that. good luck
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:12:16 PM EDT
[#43]
If I wanted to be nagged all day, I could simply walk in from the patio after smoking a cigar.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:12:34 PM EDT
[#44]
You have nothing but a verbal commitment that they will refund your $250? Good luck with that. You’re going to find out the $250 is your first deposit on the timeshare or you get none of it back.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:13:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Here is a trick...I got suckered into sitting on one of those with a free breakfast and tickets to some show. Lock your credit before you go...the first thing they will want you to do even before they begin their pitch is fill out a credit application. I did knowing full well it would be denied...it was denied and they let us go after like 20 mins of being there with the tickets in hand

Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:15:53 PM EDT
[#46]
The ultimate real estate snake oil scheme.

You can't stay far enough away from time shares, presentations, or anything to do with them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:16:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
2 hours will become 3-4 of pain and repeatedly saying no.
View Quote

They're going to make your whole day miserable.  Then treat you like some scam artist for trying to get your money back.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:16:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Just tell them that you are a member of TUG, the Timeshare Users Group.  That will usually shut them down since they know that you can buy timeshares there for pennies on the dollar.
Not all timeshares suck.  We own 2 Marriott timeshares in Florida that we've been very happy with.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:19:07 PM EDT
[#49]
I've sat through two timeshare presentations to get free trips. One was two nights on the Oregon coast and the other was a free boat trip/tour on the Napali coast in Kauai. Easy and harmless.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:21:10 PM EDT
[#50]
A guy I worked with went to one of the scaminars and said he was not going to get one but wanted the free crap they were offering.  Came back on Monday thinking he got the deal of his life on one and preceeded to tell everyone about it. By the end of the day he was trying to find out how to get out of it after everyone told him what a mistake he was making. I think what finally got him off the hook was his credit score or lack of combined with his current debt and child support payments.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top