Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 6:20:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Do they really give you a refund? I've sat through hundreds of hours of legal seminars. Do you have to stay awake?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We were invited to a Time Share presentation a few weeks ago and were essentially paid to go.

Do they really give you a refund? I've sat through hundreds of hours of legal seminars. Do you have to stay awake?

No money out of pocket. They gave us a handful of "gifts," including gas money to get there and a free pass at their resort. We took a couple of kids and made it a family outing. Honestly, I'm glad we went, as it was a mini-vacation.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 6:58:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Long story short, I just called about a routine issue with my IHG Rewards card.  They said hey will you listen to a brief message if we bribe you?  I said sure, why not.  Bottom line I gave them $250 for a 4 day/3 night stay at a hotel to be fully refunded when I listen to a 2 hour spiel about timeshares.  LOL.  I don't want a fucking timeshare but I'm getting old and I like wasting other people's time, so why not!?

I fully intend to sit there for 2 hours and say NO!

How fucked am I?
View Quote

Not at all fucked. Sit through the presentation. Let them babble on. Politely say no. Then, well let me get my manager aka the closer. He's got an even better deal that he can do once per day and you're his lucky person. You'll probably say no 3 times with them. No? Ok, lets get you your voucher and now you're on your way.

We've done it for hotel stays, Disney tickets, shipboard credits, you name it. Fastest way to get out of it is say you or your wife lost your job and you now only make $48k.

You can always call Chuck McDowell!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 8:47:50 AM EDT
[#3]
After you meet the sales guy and get through the welcoming chatter tell him you signed up for 2 hours and you're setting the timer on your phone to two hours and when the two-hour alarm rings you are done.  This way you've met your obligation.  Stand up and keep repeating "times up, I'm done" if they want to continue.  If you show any weakness, they will exploit it.

I've done that before.  He wanted to drive us to their new condos on the other side of HH Island and I told him we couldn't do that in one hour.  He said he was obligated to take us there.  I repeated we had signed up for one hour and we aren't going.  We did stay for the one hour and a few minutes longer, then I got my $$ and left.

Another time, when the next level hard-sell guy sat down he asked why we were declining their generous offer.  I stated that my answer is no and I don't have to justify it to you.  I was already frustrated and that ended up being a short conversation.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:04:09 AM EDT
[#4]
$250 is dirt cheap for a vacation stay.  Skip their hard sell presentation.  Your time isn't worth it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:28:35 AM EDT
[#5]
My niece and her husband went to one to get tickets to a magic show in Branson, they went, stayed 2+ hours, said no and got the tickets.

Wife and I at the last minute decided to go to the same show, she found a group on(which I didn’t know still existed ) for $10 a ticket.

When the usher brought us in I saw my niece and her family sitting about 20 rows back on the left side of the theater and she saw me too.

We got sat center 4th row dead center of the theater.

The look on my nieces face was priceless
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:37:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I did it once years ago, kept them thinking they had me if they just offered me more shit, then when I finally got what i could out of them I bailed. The guy wanted to murder me...
View Quote

I sometimes do vehicles like this.  Take a Saturday and drive a bunch of brand new vehicles with no intention of buying at all.  End of the day, Thanks, See ya.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:39:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:42:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yer Fucked OP.   Call an ambulance on yourself and say you have “Chest Pains”.  
View Quote

And what does an ambulance ride cost nowadays?
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:32:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 11:03:38 AM EDT
[#10]
The place they give the presentation is called the Killing Room.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 11:07:15 AM EDT
[#11]
When I was a kid my parents signed up for one for the promise of free tickets to several places in the area. It was a 2 hour presentation that ended up being closer to 4. They had a separate room for kids with Nintendo and snacks so I didn't mind. I think in the end we all agreed it wasn't too bad for the payoff. It was tickets to quite a few expensive attractions at Myrtle Beach. Probably around 20 years ago.

So expect it to run long. I guess you could probably get up at the two hour mark and demand your refund but if I recall I think the "hook" to keep you there is additional free shit and time padding.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 11:26:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yer Fucked OP.   Call an ambulance on yourself and say you have “Chest Pains”.  

Depends where you live, but in my town it’s $1700 plus $25 a mile.  Still cheaper than buying a timeshare, but more expensive than just paying for your vacation.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 12:20:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Friends wife signed him and her up for a free weekend.  She bought the deal hook line and sinker.
He didnt know anything about a time share. She wanted it so she got it.

Years later he told me he had one. I laughed at him, he tried to justify it. Now hes in Florida working and owns this expensive time share he cant use on his stay in Florida.

His wife was going broke from her account she promised to use on the time share, so hes paying now. She quit work from a bad car accident and has no income.

Clark Howard has a standing offer to any time share company to come on his show for a free hour promoting their business while he asks about the contract and fees. None have taken him up on it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 12:28:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Long story short, I just called about a routine issue with my IHG Rewards card.  They said hey will you listen to a brief message if we bribe you?  I said sure, why not.  Bottom line I gave them $250 for a 4 day/3 night stay at a hotel to be fully refunded when I listen to a 2 hour spiel about timeshares.  LOL.  I don't want a fucking timeshare but I'm getting old and I like wasting other people's time, so why not!?

I fully intend to sit there for 2 hours and say NO!

How fucked am I?
View Quote

If they claimed it was 2 hours. When you walk in set a 2 hour timer on your phone.

When it goes off get up and walk out.

Also record the whole thing on your phone. If they ask why tell them you don’t want to miss and of the details they promised . They love that.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 5:14:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Got to our room. Massive 2 bed 2 bath. 4 pools, some heated. One right out or door and one of our two patios. Full kitchen and laundry. It’s so much better than just a “hotel”.

We did have to tell the front desk guy forcefully we did not want to do an owner update. Of course.

Link Posted: 3/30/2023 5:42:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Got to our room. Massive 2 bed 2 bath. 4 pools, some heated. One right out or door and one of our two patios. Full kitchen and laundry. It’s so much better than just a “hotel”.

We did have to tell the front desk guy forcefully we did not want to do an owner update. Of course.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42361/794921B5-D6A4-46E4-8F71-D00EB5A8D6DC-2764222.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42361/0C5D74ED-521C-454D-82FE-F10131D70B5C-2764223.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42361/CEF345FD-6F69-4F6F-990B-91F15FCFFDF3-2764224.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42361/94DBAB1B-B974-4037-A061-AB591D8638B8-2764225.jpg
View Quote

What's an "owner update"?  And what's really the deal if you want out of HICV?

Edit - and another question - The yearly fee you pay is different depending on which property it is, but you can stay at any property?
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 6:00:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Edit - and another question - The yearly fee you pay is different depending on which property it is, but you can stay at any property?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42361/794921B5-D6A4-46E4-8F71-D00EB5A8D6DC-2764222.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42361/0C5D74ED-521C-454D-82FE-F10131D70B5C-2764223.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42361/CEF345FD-6F69-4F6F-990B-91F15FCFFDF3-2764224.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42361/94DBAB1B-B974-4037-A061-AB591D8638B8-2764225.jpg

Basically, because we already own, they try to bribe us with more points, Disney tickets, whatever to attend an owner update. They review our current ownership level and try to talk us into expanding it. We did it for Disney tickets. We also have an autistic son and made them come to our room and it was only 30 minutes, said no, got free tickets.

We have a certain number of points to use and they can be used at any of the resorts. We are not stuck with a Vegas where we bought. In fact, it’s been 5 years and we have not even been back to Vegas.

With the points we have, we usually can get 2 vacations a year in. So we paid $10k to buy. We pay $900 a year for maintenance and membership.

We get two weeks a year at nice resorts like this. Having full kitchen where we can cook. Having the kids asleep in their own room with their own bathroom.

Considering how much it would cost us to stay at a similar place. We are doing well, and each year that initial buy in gets easier to forget.

Adding in it made us IHG platinum and we get so many points from this or that. Last night we got in late and stayed for free on IHG points(separate from the timeshare points) at a crowne plaza. We stay at IHG hotels free probably 4-6 times a year because we converted time share points, free anniversary nights, IHG credit card points.

We game the hell out of it and stay at nice resorts and hotels at motel 6 prices.

I like staying in 1800 sqft apartments so much more than 180 sqft hotels. Especially with kids.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 6:22:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My last telemarketers time share offer to Branson MO. ended with me asking to describe the type of clothing they were wearing.
View Quote

What?  I don't get it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 6:26:43 PM EDT
[#19]
I am at a timeshare right now that my wife's family has. We were walking downtown and I noticed a lawyer all he does is timeshare exits.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 6:39:34 PM EDT
[#20]
From what I can find (through at LEAST 45 seconds of Googling), there is absolutely no truth to the claim that your heirs can't refuse to inherit your timeshare.

A dozen law firms on the first page of my search said that it's not true.

Now, if you add the person to your deed, that may well be a different story. Which the sales people will probably try to get you to do. But again I don't think you can just put someone's name on a deed and obligate them without their consent.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 6:44:15 PM EDT
[#21]
The check is in the mail.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That's how my parents got me a free Atari 800xl computer back in the 80s.

They got a few free trips listening to time share BS
View Quote

That's how we got a free TV 40+years ago as well. Ours died and we were lacking funds to replace it. 2 hours of dull crap was endured, and Mom walked out with a new TV in a box.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 6:53:35 PM EDT
[#23]
My mom and stepdad sold all of their timeshare stuff (Wyndham) and it took forever to sell, at pennies on the dollar of what they paid, and they now enjoy being able to go wherever they want for vacation without worrying about their timeshare being a few bucks cheaper.

A couple weeks ago the wife and I were at a nice restaurant and there was a group there in the meeting room - obviously enduring some sort of sales pitch - while we ate. They looked miserable. I sort of felt bad for them as they ended up not getting to eat until we were full and finished (it was a Brazilian Steak house). I assumed it was a timeshare sales pitch, but honestly don't know. I wanted to ask someone, but didn't want to talk to timeshare people.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 7:37:07 PM EDT
[#24]
A number of years back the wife and I stayed at a resort on a Disney trip. Didn't know much about it other than it was booked as we were already on the way to Orlando from one of those last minute deal web sites.

I know, poor planing but it was an impulse thing as we were headed back from Tallahassee and decided to stop off at Disney (and we were already in the car on the road).

Anyway, the place was very nice and very cheap. Did seem odd that it was like condos complete with a manned guard gate and that they had timeshare brochures in the lobby.  While we out, they called our room several times leaving messages to attend the timeshare presentation but I didn't even see the messages until we were almost out the door to go home.

Seemed like a decent place but I know timeshares are for suckers.  I've got plenty of bankruptcy clients who can't give theirs away and the trustees don't want them.  I've toyed with the idea of forming a corporation (to insulate myself) and have the corps buy them dirt cheap from the trustees then sell of the points or use the weeks and not pay the fees.... I mean, what are they going to do with a corporation with no assets, other than timeshares?

Link Posted: 3/30/2023 8:44:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Once there tell them you just filed for bankruptcy and cant buy shit.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:39:09 PM EDT
[#26]
If you know how to work the system they can be a good deal.  We've owned 2 marriott timeshares for years.  The marriott resorts are very nice.  I hated traveling with the kids in just one room.  The resorts have a full kitchens, in room laundry, multiple pools, BBQ and kids activities.  Here is the view off our balcony.

Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:45:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:49:27 PM EDT
[#28]
no hablo inglés
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:50:54 PM EDT
[#29]
I’d just skip the timeshare presentation.  $250 for 4/3 vacation is pretty sweet deal on its own.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:52:51 PM EDT
[#30]
You know you always hear horror story's about TS's but I've known a few people that have them and seem to love the arrangment...

Never personally heard anyone bitch about it..
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:59:22 PM EDT
[#31]
They make it sound great, but remember if you just love it and want to buy it, you can usually buy one and transfer the same from someone for like $1. Most want out and just need someone to take over the annual maintenance fees they’re stuck with.

Buying from a timeshare place direct is insane, as you pay $15k-$30k + annual fees, when you could pay $1 + annual fees.

I inherited a timeshare when I got married, so run away, just run as fast as you can.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:02:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Someone on arfcom has to be a timeshare sales person. I want the inside dirt. Of course they'd have to admit to being a timeshare salesperson.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:05:14 AM EDT
[#33]
2 hours lol. My wife and I got roped into a “90 minute” presentation that turned into 4 plus hours. Never again. We never even got the free shit they offered. All the hoops you had to jump through to redeem the shit wasn’t worth it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:06:10 AM EDT
[#34]
We tried that shit over 30 years ago and the time-share sons-of-bitches hounded us relentlessly afterwards.  We got our room comped for the night but the followup was brutal.  Never again.  F-TimeShare people.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:22:17 AM EDT
[#35]
How do I get solicited for a free vacation for listening to a sales pitch?

I can't afford a time share, so saying no is easy as fuck.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:36:44 AM EDT
[#36]
My Mom dragged my brother and I when we young to one of these timeshare
events just to get a free kitchen knife that she could have bought anywhere for $10.

She had to argue with the sales guy at the end to get the damn thing!

Even tho I was a kid, I paid attention, read the brochures and the fine print and
I could tell it was a scam!

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 1:05:12 AM EDT
[#37]
I don't know how time share things work, but my girlfriends parents are into it. Since my girlfriend is their daughter, we get to use the different places all over. A week ago we stayed at a resort in wine country. We've been there before, it's nice. I really don't understand how it works.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 1:09:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 1:33:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Attachment Attached File

Only time we sat through a "timeshare" marketing gimick was to get the free steak dinner at Ruth Chris.

They were sooo pushy and didn't like that we told them "we have to talk to our financial guy before we commit. Its just that simple."

When I said they might get a faster answer if they knocked 30% off, they almost made it happen.

But, I would have just walked out anyhow.

Cuz dats how I roll.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 2:19:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Even if you tell them up front that you’ll listen but are absolutely not going to buy in they’ll still be shitty and upset with you when the time is up and you tell them you’ve fulfilled your end of the agreement, I’ve actually had them tell me that I had taken advantage of them after they’ve given me so much, as if I were dishonest and stole from them. The sales people I’ve dealt with are literal scum. The last time I went to a presentation in Orlando (my wife’s doing in order to get a discounted hotel room for a family trip to Disney) the sales guy looked at me after almost 2 hours of us saying no and said that I, as the husband, should have the final decision on whether or not to buy in. My outspoken red head nurse wife completely lost her shit at that point and said how dare you, you fucking asshole. Fuck you, we are done here. The devil knew that he’d been beat . I told her that I’ll never go to one of those again for the rest of my life and to never sign us up again for one of those ever again. Good luck OP and don’t fold to their manipulation, pressure and guilting. They’re literally trying to fuck you over and steal your money. Remember that, no matter how charming and nice they are to you in the beginning. If there were no such thing as the timeshare industry for these turds to work in, many of them would be victimizing the elderly out of every penny they had and laughing at the thought of those oldsters having to eat cat food to survive later.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:27:03 AM EDT
[#41]
I fell for a timeshare promo in FL once. "Free breakfast", was not worth the BS hard core sales pitch. A steak dinner would not have been worth it. By the time I got out of there, I would have PAID for breakfast and a solid tip just to walk free. Used car and vacuum cleaner sales people have nothing on time share pros.

OP is an idiot for paying up front. He will probably be willing to walk away from the $250 after they turn the screws on him.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:37:29 AM EDT
[#42]
In 2014 my wife inherited a bunch of money. Saw a local cabelas presentation and got a four day weekend in Orlando for $299. Same high pressure tactics etc etc.

We had the extra money so bought a ‘points’ package. It was worth it because of the inheritance money—if I’d had to pony up from my savings, fuck no, I don’t need a $300/month payment for the next ten fuckking years.

Anyway, we use it every year until the divorce. She whined and bitched and demanded that she get the timeshare in the division of assets. She agreed to take all her credit card and student loan debt if I relinquished any claim to the timeshare. I happily agreed and our lawyers set up the transfer of the contract to her.

Last year was the first year shehadto pay the fees and taxes herself, she was not happy. This year she’s let it lapse. The timeshare people called me and I fucking laughed. Legally not my problem.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:56:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Just say NO to timeshares.    In any form...by any name and that includes presentations.

You gave them money up front?   Wrong move.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:01:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
In 2014 my wife inherited a bunch of money. Saw a local cabelas presentation and got a four day weekend in Orlando for $299. Same high pressure tactics etc etc.

We had the extra money so bought a ‘points’ package. It was worth it because of the inheritance money—if I’d had to pony up from my savings, fuck no, I don’t need a $300/month payment for the next ten fuckking years.

Anyway, we use it every year until the divorce. She whined and bitched and demanded that she get the timeshare in the division of assets. She agreed to take all her credit card and student loan debt if I relinquished any claim to the timeshare. I happily agreed and our lawyers set up the transfer of the contract to her.

Last year was the first year shehadto pay the fees and taxes herself, she was not happy. This year she’s let it lapse. The timeshare people called me and I fucking laughed. Legally not my problem.
View Quote

Was going to say "you fucked her one last time" but, in reality, she fucked herself.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:02:02 AM EDT
[#45]
We went to Branson MO last year for a family reunion and had a bunch of stuff planned while there. Magic show, a couple museums, theme park, etc. Total admissions was going to be over a grand for all the stuff we had lined up.

Well there was this guy in the hotel lobby who was trying to get people to listen to a timeshare pitch, said he could get us admission to everything we had planned on for like $250 TOTAL. Sounded too good to be true.

But, we figured at that savings, we’d roll the dice. Left the kids with my brother one morning and went to this pitch. It was about 3 hours long. We just stuck to our guns and told them no thanks any time we were asked. I’ll be damned if we weren’t in and out right on time, with relatively little pressure and hassle, and got ALL the tickets they promised.

I’d do it again in a heartbeat, to save 75 percent of the cost of everything we did. It was a Wyndham resorts pitch, for what it’s worth.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:03:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Ask whether sex is included with the purchase of the timeshare.  
View Quote

There will be a lot of anal, and you’ll be on the receiving end..
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:11:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
2 hours is 6.
View Quote

^
Wife talked me into one "free Disney tickets"   They put us on a golf carts and off we went....went to the " bathroom " and snuck around the corner and walked a mile so back and just bought my tickets.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:11:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Been there for discounts on things from all inclusive resort in Mexico.  It was brutal but worth it at the time.  Wife and I both went in determined to say no and did 1000x.  We got our discounts (scuba and stuff like that) and luckily it was poring rain the whole time so we didn't waste good beach time.

I wouldn't sit through one again though.   Fuck all that.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:31:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I hope you get the refund.  F*ck timeshares.
View Quote

If it REALLY is free - why charge you and refund you.

Why not just give it.......free ?
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 9:00:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

If it REALLY is free - why charge you and refund you.

Why not just give it.......free ?
View Quote

How else would they keep you prisoner in the room except to promise said refund?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top