BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 10:33:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No idea really. I would guess $7500-$8000

For me it is the terrible fuel mileage and the fact it just sits there somtimes a month or more at a time. I actually drove it this morning but I had to boost the battery.
View Quote

Same here, I don’t even know if that damn Tahoe gets 10 miles to the gallon anymore. Put a battery tender on your Bronco.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 10:40:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Dude... that's cool. I want a modern GT350.

I like the new Bronco.

I have a love/hate relationship with old cars. I build them every day. There are currently a '77 Bronco and '73 2002 sitting in my shop. I sold my beautiful '74 2002 two years back. I never drove it. I have another sitting in a shipping container for "some day." I'd like to build a square body Chevy one day, too.  Until then, my JKU and Ram 2500 keep me occupied and entertained (something about driving a 8k lb truck with 1200ft/lb of torque is fun).

Old cars... noisy, smelly, slow. Nice to look at.
View Quote

It’s a lot of work maintaining a small fleet of old vehicles, even if they are restored.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 10:43:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
@OP

Is it the process of restoration you enjoy or actually driving the restored car you enjoy more?
View Quote

It’s more the build.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 10:58:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It’s more the build.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@OP

Is it the process of restoration you enjoy or actually driving the restored car you enjoy more?

It’s more the build.

Cool, need funds and space for the next one I bet.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 10:58:38 AM EDT
[#5]
You fucked up OP, you down grayyyyyded.

(Get it, "grayyyded")
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:05:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
OK OP I'll admit defeat.  Googling for four pedal cars returns results for pedal-cars or modern stick shifts with a dead pedal.  The Models T had three pedals.  What is unique about the four pedal speedster and how does it work?

You have truly caught my interest with that one, which is unusual.  I find pre-war cars to be works of engineering art, but never really was interested in owning or driving one.  My interest in older cars generally starts in the mid too late 1950s and peaks in the mid 60s to mid 70s.  

I will confess that I have started dabbling in modern vehicles and recently bought a bunch of electronic OBD2 reader, secure gateway bypass, and assorted cables and gadgets and other crap so that I can meddle with my modern vehicles.
View Quote

The throttle has been moved to the floor. It’s hard to see in the photo, but the throttle pedal is on the right, just above the wood knob.

Attachment Attached File

It’s on the chopping block if anyone is interested.

Speedster
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:10:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I like your truck a lot. A buddy wants to sell a 1960 Ford that was originally built as a fire truck for an airport. Unfortunately, he sold off the 300 gallon tank, hose, reel, etc. years ago.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/240604/B4C8D9B1-D192-482C-8355-11B2B7FBB1C6_jpe-2560479.JPG
View Quote

That is one of the coolest trucks I have seen in a long while.
Quoted:

I used to own one with a 351W, lift and 33” tires.  Loved it. But yeah, terrible mileage.
View Quote

Mine has a 351W. I am lucky to see 12mpg.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:11:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a new one and really love it.  But man, I would have kept that for sure.  Why not get both?
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:14:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It reallys sucks, but we all knew it would happen.  It happen to the Jeep guys already.

As soon as a family-friendly, 4-door option came along, soccer mom everywhere bought up the latest "I look tough" SUV.

Now I drive around in my OG '69 Bronco, there are no waves from soccer moms or stuffy urban dads driving the other way.  Nope, they all have their head in their phone or doing their makeup.  They don't live up to the heritage of their vehicle.  No manly men towing work trailers or heading off to cut firewood.

I do get a ton of waves from from college-age girls in Jeeps, but it just feels wrong.  
View Quote

Sometimes I wonder why when I'm on a Japanese supermoto or an Italian bike the Harley guys don't return the two wheels down salute.

It's only the Harley guys, and I imagine they're talking amongst themselves something like you said, only with more complaints about "millennials, crotch rockets, etc." lol
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:18:45 AM EDT
[#10]
OP gave up a classic for a turd.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:25:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a new one and really love it.  But man, I would have kept that for sure.  Why not get both?
View Quote

I was happy to pass it along. I priced it fairly and a nice couple now own their dream truck. It’s a good thing.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:28:08 AM EDT
[#12]
My Bronco story: I had a 1971 Sport in 1985 when I went off to boot camp.  Left it at home in NorCal.

It was a little beat up, rear fenderwells cut for 35s, 2" suspension lift, but stock power train with an engine that I rebuilt (302).  I'd put a disc brake front axle on it.

Had the steel half top.  

My father saw a story on TV that said how dangerous they were, and sold it before the first time I came home several years later, out of concern for "my well being".

It remained a bone of contention between us for the rest of his life.

I've always wanted another, but now can't afford one.

OP--Broncos like yours sell for SIX FIGURES now in California.  Rusty hulks with six-cylinders sell for $20K.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:35:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Am gonna go with yes.

I have multiple mustangs and my 2015 GT "premium" performance pack annoys the fuck out of me.  Too civilized or fucked up by touch screen stupidity and an ECU that inteferes with the throttle.

My 66 Mustang with fuel injection and a shit ton of suspension mods is a hugely more rewarding driving experience.   If it was not for 100+ degree summers I could daily my 66 and be perfectly happy.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:36:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My Bronco story: I had a 1971 Sport in 1985 when I went off to boot camp.  Left it at home in NorCal.

It was a little beat up, rear fenderwells cut for 35s, 2" suspension lift, but stock power train with an engine that I rebuilt (302).  I'd put a disc brake front axle on it.

Had the steel half top.  

My father saw a story on TV that said how dangerous they were, and sold it before the first time I came home several years later, out of concern for "my well being".

It remained a bone of contention between us for the rest of his life.

I've always wanted another, but now can't afford one.

OP--Broncos like yours sell for SIX FIGURES now in California.  Rusty hulks with six-cylinders sell for $20K.
View Quote

Mine was a solid body. No rust, not a single piece of replacement steel on the pans and only had one little ding in the body that needed to be repaired. No other body work had ever been done.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:36:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
$49k was cheap for my Bronco. I could have sold it for at least $55 in CA.
View Quote

It is not uncommon to see them go for double that here.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:37:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I'd ban you over that stupidity
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:38:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Well looking at the cars you own, money isn't an issue so I'm going to say you fucked up. Both is always the correct answer when you can afford it which you clearly can.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:42:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My daily driver, when I’m not driving my ‘54 Panel 429 V8 death box , is an F350 4x4 Dually.
View Quote

I'm not a Ford guy any more and haven't been since the early '90s--but when I was, that was my favorite engine, bar none.  Good choice!
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:47:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm not a Ford guy any more and haven't been since the early '90s--but when I was, that was my favorite engine, bar none.  Good choice!
View Quote

I have a 460 in the ‘57 pickup I’m going to start finishing soon. Basically, the same engine.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, I'm going to say that was a poor choice.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:52:20 AM EDT
[#21]
I got both.

Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:54:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Well looking at the cars you own, money isn't an issue so I'm going to say you fucked up. Both is always the correct answer when you can afford it which you clearly can.
View Quote

I totally understand what you're saying...but for a lot of us, the build is more fun than the owning.  And when we get old, you start realizing--you can't take 'em with you.  Might as well just do the fun stuff!
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:56:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have a 460 in the ‘57 pickup I’m going to start finishing soon. Basically, the same engine.
View Quote

True...but it doesn't roll of the tongue like "429".
It's like "427" and "454" for us Chevy guys.  I'll take the 427 every time.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 12:09:46 PM EDT
[#24]

Good taste. Me too.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/12/2022 12:10:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I totally understand what you're saying...but for a lot of us, the build is more fun than the owning.  And when we get old, you start realizing--you can't take 'em with you.  Might as well just do the fun stuff!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 12:13:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

True...but it doesn't roll of the tongue like "429".
It's like "427" and "454" for us Chevy guys.  I'll take the 427 every time.  
View Quote

A lot of guys running around with “429s” in their cars are actually running 460s, because of the “roll of the tongue”.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 12:15:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I am not sure if I would have done that
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/12/2022 12:19:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Plus, leaving my giant mess behind for my family, which none of them care about my cars and all my damn equipment , starts to be a consideration.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 12:32:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 12:33:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You took a beautiful restored 73 and sold it for 49k and used that money to buy a 2022...Well in 5 years from now, the 73 will be worth 60k, and the 22 will be worth 22k...

Man, that is just like buy high sell low...You dun broke...
View Quote

can you even get a V8 option in the new ones?   if not you fucked up badly
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 12:42:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The only frame off restoration piece I have had to deal with was such a pain I can see why you let yours go. My 39 Dodge is great to look at but impractical for a lot of the things I want to do. I've been trying to sell it, though the market for 1 1/2 ton trucks is significantly smaller than just about anything else right now.

https://i.imgur.com/Edy76KF.png
View Quote

I was offered an International KB5 grain truck free from a farmer about 15 years ago that was complete but hadn't been moved since the mid 90's about 15 years ago. He basically said if you agree to fix it up and not scrap it you can have it. I just couldn't think of a use for it that justified fixing it up for myself. Mabey just build a small cabin on the back and take it camping a couple times a year. In the end I let it go. I could see doing a cabin on the back of a Chevy C50 grain truck if I found one with a factory Detroit diesel. But my hatred of gas powered grain trucks run pretty deep from all the POS trucks I've driven on farms over the years. Every Chevy 366 I've driven has been a gutless poor running pile, and the trucks always had poor brakes to match. I don't know if it's the age and lack of maintenance or if they sucked since the day they were built.

@ friskydingo
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 12:44:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

can you even get a V8 option in the new ones?   if not you fucked up badly
View Quote

330HP Twin Turbo V6

The new Bronco is actually better than I expected it to be. I bought it sight unseen and had never been in one.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 12:50:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Visually appealing?

I, for one, am happy to hear that arfcom has embraced diversity and inclusion by accepting blind members.

I knew that a lot of members’ wives were blind, but not the posters themselves
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 1:05:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I like your truck a lot. A buddy wants to sell a 1960 Ford that was originally built as a fire truck for an airport. Unfortunately, he sold off the 300 gallon tank, hose, reel, etc. years ago.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/240604/B4C8D9B1-D192-482C-8355-11B2B7FBB1C6_jpe-2560479.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll take cars over a Ukraine thread any day.

The only frame off restoration piece I have had to deal with was such a pain I can see why you let yours go. My 39 Dodge is great to look at but impractical for a lot of the things I want to do. I've been trying to sell it, though the market for 1 1/2 ton trucks is significantly smaller than just about anything else right now.

https://i.imgur.com/pDHW7eV.jpg

I'd like to sell it and turn it into something more capable and interesting like this Mercedes firetruck that showed up at cars and coffee in Portland earlier this year. Seeing all the cool stuff that gets brought out for MogFest always gets me going as well.

Wouldn't have been DOT street legal anyway.....
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 1:08:53 PM EDT
[#35]

Agreed. Very nice. From your other pictures, it looks like you do a lot of nice work
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 1:28:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Need both!
View Quote
Took too long for the proper "Get both" answer..

Link Posted: 10/12/2022 1:33:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll take cars over a Ukraine thread any day.

https://i.imgur.com/pDHW7eV.jpg

I'd like to sell it and turn it into something more capable and interesting like this Mercedes firetruck that showed up at cars and coffee in Portland earlier this year. Seeing all the cool stuff that gets brought out for MogFest always gets me going as well.

Small towns during car show weeks, you can drive practically anything around. Start pulling people over and fewer people start coming and spending money.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 1:37:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Enjoy it, love my new bronco
View Quote

Best vehicle i've ever owned. Wish it had a 3.5L but the 2.7 is plenty for what it is. Have a Raptor Bronco on order as well.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 1:57:58 PM EDT
[#39]
You sold your '73 Bronco for the new "Bronco," that's just wrong.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 1:59:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You sold your '73 Bronco for the new "Bronco," that's just wrong.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/314713/8f0_jpg-2551937.JPG
View Quote

I'm taking a beating here!
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 2:58:05 PM EDT
[#41]
@Requiem

Here’s the ‘95 Tahoe. Don’t mind the dirt and bat shit.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 3:00:43 PM EDT
[#42]
OP... you have my sympathies for this awful mistake you made.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 3:17:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
OP... you have my sympathies for this awful mistake you made.
View Quote

Would it help if I told you it was nicer than the photos show?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 3:39:51 PM EDT
[#44]

love it! thank you for sharing.  Looks to be in great shape, no rust on bottom of tailgate nor top of the fenders - thats where it started to rot first with my old 2dr Yukon.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 3:42:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Driving old or muscle cars is a giant pain in the ass.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/12/2022 4:55:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm getting old too but for me, the cars that you have a personally history or story with are so much cooler and much more valuable than anything soulless that you can just buy.

That and I really like pairs, An old one and a new one is a lot more interesting IMO then 1 or the other but too each their own.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 5:05:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Terrible decision OP.  Just terrible.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 7:54:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
OP fucked up
View Quote

I'm going with this.

Hope you have other, non-computerized vehicles to run. Never-mind.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 7:56:50 PM EDT
[#49]

I'd have sold that before the bronco, but you do you, OP.

At least you got a nice chunk of change for it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 8:13:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It’s been for sale for months. $25k is a steal for that Panel. Did you read the description in the EE listing?

People are holding onto their money a little tighter these days.

Also, there is one guy who made a worse decision than I did in this deal. The first guy that came to look at the Bronco passed. He brought the money and passed. He’ll never find anything close to it for $49k.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top