BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 5:02:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Quoted:
The knife guys must all sleep in on saturdays.

Or work.

Long WoW session after school got out last night.  They're still passed out at their mom's old sewing table face down in half a Totino's Pizza.

Nicely done.
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 5:04:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A Randall 1-7, just a classic piece of Americana.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z120/planejanel/Photo-0147.jpg

Jane

I'll see your Randall and raise you an Ek Bowie...

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z13/foxherb53/FOXHERB53/PICS003.jpg

I've loved them since the 80s when I'd see them at gun shows. I have two now, brand new, off eBay.

So, OP: In my opinion a real fighting knife isn't a folder.

I carried one of those when I was in the Army.

Ended up selling it.

Miss it to this day.
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 5:05:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

If I could only have one?

It would be the SOD. It's not too small, not too big, and can split wood/chop trees if you need it to.

That said, the Scrapper 5 is a more useful knife day to day (as is the High Street). The size of the S5 and HS are more conducive to unobtrusive carry and daily tasks. They just seem "right".

But in a camping, combat, or SHTF scenario, I think I'd reach for the SOD. It's a hell of a knife.

Oh, btw, on a budget, the LMF from Gerber is not too shabby. I paid $65 for mine and it's worth every penny....it rides in my just in case bag in my truck. Cheap enough that I don't mind losing it; good enough that I won't feel "outknifed" LOL

Where do you buy the SOD?  I checked their site and it seems like they only have one knife you can order.  I really like the tan SOD, their site is just a little confusing.
They're available aftermarket.  eBay & Bladeforums seem to be the best place to buy Bussekin (Busse Combat, Swamp Rat, and Scrap Yard) on the secondary market.  Sadly, Busse & associated companies sell in a one knife for sale at a time business model.

Link Posted: 1/22/2011 6:22:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Get both                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 6:31:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://graymanknives.com/grax.html

Isn't that the guy that was posing as former R-SAS?  Mike Ajax?

any more info so i can look into it

Drama on the web a few years ago. Guy was teaching man tracking for .mil. At a seminar he said he had some knife kills and drank blood from a skull in Africa and claimed to be former Rhodesian SAS.  Some guys at the seminar started checking him out due to the outlandish stories. Turns out he wasn't RSAS.

Pretty sure same guy and he was connected to Mick Strider who also turned out to be lying about his "special ops"  and combat background too.

I'll try to dig up some links.

Link Posted: 1/22/2011 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Drama on the web a few years ago. Guy was teaching man tracking for .mil. At a seminar he said he had some knife kills and drank blood from a skull in Africa and claimed to be former Rhodesian SAS.  Some guys at the seminar started checking him out due to the outlandish stories. Turns out he wasn't RSAS.

Pretty sure same guy and he was connected to Mick Strider who also turned out to be lying about his "special ops"  and combat background too.

While people are discussing this, Are Strider's knives massproduced/CNC'd  like I have been told?
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 8:14:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be too bad.  His knives are pretty nice.  I'm not gonna do business with a "storyteller" though.  

If you find anything, let us know.  If you don't, I guess you should as well since the subject has been brought up.
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 8:36:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 8:48:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 9:13:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
this has been with me for decades

http://i52.tinypic.com/29gbhug.jpg

Can you give some more details on this?

Link Posted: 1/22/2011 9:14:36 PM EDT
[#12]

+1

Seriously though, you are rough on stuff and want serrations, I'd suggest the Ka-Bar pictured on the first page.

Link Posted: 1/22/2011 11:46:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be too bad.  His knives are pretty nice.  I'm not gonna do business with a "storyteller" though.  

If you find anything, let us know.  If you don't, I guess you should as well since the subject has been brought up.

A lot of the links are broken due to them being from 2001 and 2002 but there's still bits and pieces around the internet.

It's kind of convoluted to follow.

http://www.csqnsas.com/dishonour.html

Micheal Bottoms claims among other things to have eleven "knife kills", quite bizarre, whilst serving as a member of Csqn, He Isnt. Unfortuneatly Mr Bottoms has been instructing the USMC, I hate to think what he has been saying. Click HERE to read about him (link is broken. Used to go to the socnetcentral website and there was a big call out thread there.)
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

http://www.tacticalforums.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000625.html

posted 04-05-2002 07:49              
Emails were sent to his "MANTRACK" addy and there has been no reply to the RSAS and myself.

The RSAS has requested me to go on record as asking Michael Eugene Bottoms a.k.a. "Mike Ajax" to cease and desist from using their name and any affiliation of the RSAS "C" Squad. The President Dan O'Sullivan has requested this and there is documentary proof.

exhibited below are proof of claims by the aforementioned individual.

picture #1

picture #2

picture #3

––––––––––––––––––
"Our own life is the instrument with which we experiment with truth."

I LOVE Humanity, I just can't stand some of the people in it....

[This message has been edited by tactec (edited 04-05-2002).]

IP: Logged

Steve
Moderator posted 04-05-2002 10:10                
Related thread here
http://www.usualsuspect.net/forums/showthread.php?s=0c2baa48f6adc1c475729101e794e0f7&threadid=2442

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518522&page=61

Quote:
PD Shooter
2 November 2001, 13:00
Mike Bottoms AKA Mike Ajax runs Mantrack Unlimited. This is the verified phony I checked out. I saw him at a symposium lately talking all kinds of wild stories. Apparently, he's been teaching Marines for years.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

http://www.jerzeedevil.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68317

The Mantrack name goes back to the school established by ex-RSAS squadie David Scott-Donelan. Borrowed to use as a knife model name and to carry some of the gloss of Scott-Donelan's acheivements, the original version was similar to a Strider MT-L, with "Mantrack" stamped on it, and was strictly a Japanese dealers only item. It was sold with some swag, including an autograph from non-RSAS Mike Ajax. The next iteration looked more like a BN-SS, also a limited edition knife stamped Mantrack, and was also a JMO item. Because of the very close association of the now-appropriated term Mantrack with Mike Ajax, the Ajax model also became connected to the term. Then, when Mike Ajax became the force behind Mercworx designs, and morphed into Mike Grayman, the designs and name followed along. Any use of the original Strider design by Mike was completely with permission and blessing of Mick, a good friend to Mike.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I think some of the stories that he told at the below presentation is what got people questioning his credentials.  GySgt Lakis was proven to be a fake too and was one of the people vouching for Mike when his credentials were being called into question in the big socnetcentral callout thread.  

Mick Strider also vouched for him (Mike Ajax) in the call out thread and then a few years later his real background came to light (no spec ops or combat experience and discharged from the Army early) and eventually Strider's partner too Duane Dwyer (Scout Sniper poser).

October 5, 2001 1400 - 1700

Base Theatre, Mainside, Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, San Diego, CA

Join the Scout/Sniper Association members for an afternoon of educational and motivational talks and stories. Some of the most storied and well known USMC Snipers in the world will be here. Once the talks secure, we will then retire to the SNCO club next to the main gate to socialize. All the speakers as well as many experienced Snipers will be available to meet in person to chat with and ask questions. This will also be a continued time to meet with the vendors.

Our speakers include:
<snip>

Mike Ajax, former Rhodesian SAS, Bladed weapons and Mantracking instructor, regular guest speaker at 1 Mar Div S/S School

<snip>

GySgt. Gary Lakis USMCR, decorated Marine and former Special Operations Command Sniper with modern combat experience in Somalia, Bosnia and Kosovo

<snip>

Link Posted: 1/23/2011 4:25:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of the links are broken due to them being from 2001 and 2002 but there's still bits and pieces around the internet.

It's kind of convoluted to follow.

http://www.csqnsas.com/dishonour.html

Micheal Bottoms claims among other things to have eleven "knife kills", quite bizarre, whilst serving as a member of Csqn, He Isnt. Unfortuneatly Mr Bottoms has been instructing the USMC, I hate to think what he has been saying. Click HERE to read about him (link is broken. Used to go to the socnetcentral website and there was a big call out thread there.)
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

http://www.tacticalforums.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000625.html

posted 04-05-2002 07:49              
Emails were sent to his "MANTRACK" addy and there has been no reply to the RSAS and myself.

The RSAS has requested me to go on record as asking Michael Eugene Bottoms a.k.a. "Mike Ajax" to cease and desist from using their name and any affiliation of the RSAS "C" Squad. The President Dan O'Sullivan has requested this and there is documentary proof.

exhibited below are proof of claims by the aforementioned individual.

picture #1

picture #2

picture #3

––––––––––––––––––
"Our own life is the instrument with which we experiment with truth."

I LOVE Humanity, I just can't stand some of the people in it....

[This message has been edited by tactec (edited 04-05-2002).]

IP: Logged

Steve
Moderator posted 04-05-2002 10:10                
Related thread here
http://www.usualsuspect.net/forums/showthread.php?s=0c2baa48f6adc1c475729101e794e0f7&threadid=2442

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518522&page=61

Quote:
PD Shooter
2 November 2001, 13:00
Mike Bottoms AKA Mike Ajax runs Mantrack Unlimited. This is the verified phony I checked out. I saw him at a symposium lately talking all kinds of wild stories. Apparently, he's been teaching Marines for years.

http://www.jerzeedevil.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68317

The Mantrack name goes back to the school established by ex-RSAS squadie David Scott-Donelan. Borrowed to use as a knife model name and to carry some of the gloss of Scott-Donelan's acheivements, the original version was similar to a Strider MT-L, with "Mantrack" stamped on it, and was strictly a Japanese dealers only item. It was sold with some swag, including an autograph from non-RSAS Mike Ajax. The next iteration looked more like a BN-SS, also a limited edition knife stamped Mantrack, and was also a JMO item. Because of the very close association of the now-appropriated term Mantrack with Mike Ajax, the Ajax model also became connected to the term. Then, when Mike Ajax became the force behind Mercworx designs, and morphed into Mike Grayman, the designs and name followed along. Any use of the original Strider design by Mike was completely with permission and blessing of Mick, a good friend to Mike.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I think some of the stories that he told at the below presentation is what got people questioning his credentials.  GySgt Lakis was proven to be a fake too and was one of the people vouching for Mike when his credentials were being called into question in the big socnetcentral callout thread.  

Mick Strider also vouched for him (Mike Ajax) in the call out thread and then a few years later his real background came to light (no spec ops or combat experience and discharged from the Army early) and eventually Strider's partner too Duane Dwyer (Scout Sniper poser).

October 5, 2001 1400 - 1700

Base Theatre, Mainside, Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, San Diego, CA

Join the Scout/Sniper Association members for an afternoon of educational and motivational talks and stories. Some of the most storied and well known USMC Snipers in the world will be here. Once the talks secure, we will then retire to the SNCO club next to the main gate to socialize. All the speakers as well as many experienced Snipers will be available to meet in person to chat with and ask questions. This will also be a continued time to meet with the vendors.

Our speakers include:
<snip>

Mike Ajax, former Rhodesian SAS, Bladed weapons and Mantracking instructor, regular guest speaker at 1 Mar Div S/S School

<snip>

GySgt. Gary Lakis USMCR, decorated Marine and former Special Operations Command Sniper with modern combat experience in Somalia, Bosnia and Kosovo

<snip>

I guess that's that.  

Now, to see if I can find a SOD.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 7:10:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

While people are discussing this, Are Strider's knives massproduced/CNC'd  like I have been told?

There are 2 different kinds of Striders. Regular mass produced ones and custom ones.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 7:39:38 AM EDT
[#16]

That would make a decent camp kife, but I would not want to fight with a knife that does not have proper finger guards.

Look at the Randalls; they are there for a reason.

Link Posted: 1/23/2011 7:54:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are 2 different kinds of Striders. Regular mass produced ones and custom ones.

And ALL of them are from Poser CO / Owners
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 8:25:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've never stabbed anyone, but I've field dressed and disassembled enough animals to come to the conclusion that any knife without a hilt guard such as the Ka-bar would be pretty dangerous if you needed to stab someone in anger.

The last thing you would want is your hand slipping forward toward the blade from the blood/sweat and cutting yourself when you really need to be on your A game.

+1

Good point.  Ideally, you would like a hilt.  No reason not to have one on a fixed blade if it's used for fighting.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 9:47:51 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've never stabbed anyone, but I've field dressed and disassembled enough animals to come to the conclusion that any knife without a hilt guard such as the Ka-bar would be pretty dangerous if you needed to stab someone in anger.

The last thing you would want is your hand slipping forward toward the blade from the blood/sweat and cutting yourself when you really need to be on your A game.

+1

Good point.  Ideally, you would like a hilt.  No reason not to have one on a fixed blade if it's used for fighting.

I disagree. If you are slashing instead of stabbing, the hilt is something to get hung up on clothing and get it jerked out of your hand.

Link Posted: 1/23/2011 10:16:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Chris Reeve Green Beret, either in the 7 or 5.5 inch version. I have the 7 inch blade, which I carry in a Suvival Sheath Systems kydex, and it goes everywhere with me. My uniform top completely covers it, so no one knows I have unless i want them to.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 1:30:32 PM EDT
[#21]
I think I'm gonna go with the ESEE 6.  

Any reason why not before I do it.  

Link

This is the best deal I could find on a new one.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 1:39:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Link

No finger guards.

Link Posted: 1/23/2011 1:42:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link

No finger guards.

Yeah, I noticed that too.  It seems that they are not putting them on a lot of the bushcraft/survival/fighting knives.  Someone here posted about problems with it snagging on clothing while slashing.  I have 0 experience cutting people to death, so I don't know.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 2:14:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Here, let me save you 60 bucks:

Knife Center

Oh, nevermind, I didn't see their price to the side.  Anyway, I've had great luck with Knife Center.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 2:19:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Here, let me save you 60 bucks:

Knife Center

Oh, nevermind, I didn't see their price to the side.  Anyway, I've had great luck with Knife Center.

Thanks, but they are actually ten bucks more.  Maybe their service is better.  I've never done business with either.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 2:31:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I knew a southerner once who said a dull rusty knife was best for fighting with. Dullness caused more pain, and the rust would likely cause infection.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

What was his advice on whiskey, beer, beans, chili, barbeque, and tooth brushes?

I was looking through the ER Russell site last night, and I'm feeling the need for a Russell knife, but the prices make me think a Grayman will do!

I prefer a folding knife for hunting here, so I'm light on long fixed blades - a Gerber MK II (Gulf War 1 veteran), a .30 Carbine bayonet, and a M-16 bayonet.

0699TeufelHnd posted some pretty good info on the Grayman. It's about halfway up this page.  Check it out and then do what you want.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 2:51:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link

No finger guards.

Yeah, I noticed that too.  It seems that they are not putting them on a lot of the bushcraft/survival/fighting knives.  Someone here posted about problems with it snagging on clothing while slashing.  I have 0 experience cutting people to death, so I don't know.

I do not know why these guard-less knives are the in-style now. I think it is just cheaper to make, as fitting a guard to be solid for a lifetime takes a bit of craftmanship. These new guys just want to cookie-cut out steel and bolt on plastic handles.

I like full guards for my own protection as well. With sweaty hands and hard thrusts (or boneing-out a deer in the rain) you could end up cutting yourself.

I would like to get a Randall No. 1 with a 6" blade someday. Until then I use Ka-Bars & a Buck 119.

Link Posted: 1/23/2011 2:52:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Check out this guy'sKnives.  He's a member here and a friend of mine and builds some high quality stuff.  His best seller is the Hide Fighter which was designed with input from the members over at Sniper's Hide.  I'm mentioned doing an Arfcom knife, but at the time, he was too busy getting ready for Shot Show.  I'm hoping we can work it out some day.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 2:59:36 PM EDT
[#30]
The Busse Gladius is hard to beat.

Link Posted: 1/23/2011 3:05:25 PM EDT
[#31]

I'm loving the Fairbairn-Sykes Commando knives that some of you guys have.

Link Posted: 1/23/2011 3:09:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Gerber MK II

End of thread

ETA: I've hacked/slashed and stabbed at clothing. Lots if these combat knives don't make a dent. The MK II ripped them to shreds. It is not a combat knife nor a utility knife. It is a pure fighting knife.

Sure all these knives will cut but they aren't pure fighting knives. Something to keep in mind.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 3:16:17 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Combat knife or fighting knife?

Sure, you coulod hack a tree apart with a chopper like a Busse or whatever, but for a true fighting knife?

Gerber Mark II.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b286/AirkatKnives/Other%20Knives/GerberMark2nam.jpg

This. Goes into flesh like a pissed off hypodermic needle.

Link Posted: 1/23/2011 3:18:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Read this.  I did not write it, I picked it up somewhere on the web.  Possibly here.

KNIFE FIGHTING POINTS
Ten Points About The Fighting Knife

1). The knife is always with you, even in places where the gun cannot go.

2). It becomes the first line of weaponry when the pistol is not available by choice, policy, inaccessibility or loss.

3). If things have gotten bad enough to need the knife, the use of the knife should be aggressive, brutal and terminal, and not "defensive".

4). There is a place for using a knife against the unarmed adversary if that adversary is younger, stronger or faster than you are...or more numerous.

5). There is a place for keeping them away with your edge, but there is also a place for closing and stabbing.

6). A knife worthy of combat carry should facilitate stabbing and be simple and instictive to use.

7). The more complicated and complex a knife is, and the more elaborate its system of use, the less desirable it is.

8). Conversely, the simpler the knife and the system and more gross motor dependant it is, the better it will do in a fight.

9). A fixed blade is more desirable than a folder, but a folder may be required in some applications. If a folder is used, the lock should be robust and not technically clever.

10). Learn to be violent with your knife

Ten Attributes To Select Your Fighting Knife

1). Sharp as hell and pointy as f***, you can't stab anyone or cut anyone with a dull round nosed blade. If this sounds vulgar, it is. There is nothing dainty about ramming a 3" piece of steel into a man's thrioat and tiwsting it as he fights to get it out.

2). Point in line with the handle. Upswept blades may be the acme of the knifemaker artist, but they suck eggs for ramming through a clavicle.

3). Long enough...but not too long. We hear that about lots of things.

4). Rough handle. Either G-10 or rough designed zytel handles. When you stab another man, his juices will get all over your blade and hand.

5). Solid lock. Liner locks suck. I don't care how graceful or cool they are...they suck. Axis lock as seen with benchmade or with Cold Steel is the way to go, or with an old style lockback design.

6). Solid opening method. This being 2009, and the "Wave" concept being as old as the pyramids now....a combat blade should have a wave feature if it is a folder.

7). Good steel. That does NOT mean stainless. I don't give an airborne fornication about stains on my knife...I WANT IT SHARP!

8). Again, if a folder, it needs a movable clip so operators may carry it as desired. The more I work on this Killing-focused system, the more I am liking reverse grip - edge in. That means for a righty, you carry point up- blade forward.

9). It must be cost-effective. Notice I did not say CHEAP. Cheap knives are for fags. Cost-effective means that if I decide to ditch it, I will not be heart broken to lose my special one-of-a-kind....nor will that special one-of-a-kind be tied to me.

10). There should be a boatload of them out there in society....like Glocks. Thus you cannot be identified or tied to the gear you use.

If some of this stuff sounds like it comes from the world of the criminal rather than the world of the law abiding good guy, it does. One does not go to a clean shaven altar boy to learn to cut a throat.

Ten Points About Using The Knife In A Fight

1). A fighting is knife is fueled by rage and ferocity, not by cleverness and showmanship. I recall seeing CWS go ape (or was it AMOK) on a knife expert we brought in one year. The best the very clever and artistic knife expert could do was match CWS stab for stab. But that was after CWS had stabbed him three or four times.

2). Learn to stab....HARD

3). Learn to hold the knife in a way that you will not lose it when you STAB HARD.

4). Since few of us go about with a 10" bowie, learn your targets. You may not be able to behead an attacker, but you can in fact rip out his jugular even with a 2" box cutter.

5). Footwork gets you off the line of the attack, but also gets you close enough to STAB HIM HARD.

6). The instant you pull steel your intent should be to stick it in his neck and rip it out a different way, and not to spar, fend, or ask him to stay back.

7). The grip area of your knife MUST be rough enough to stay in your hand if your hand is covered with blood (hopefully not yours).

8). The point must be in line with your stab. A Cold Steel Scimitar of a Spyderco Chinook do not have this, but a Cold Steel AK-47 and a Spyderco Endura do.

9). To train it, each knife must have an identical trainer (dulled knife) and a wooden/rubberized trainer (like Nok's). The identical trainer is used for technical and access drills. The wooden type trainer is used for attacking the heavy bag or the stabbing post.

10). Contrary to the advice of others, use your fighting knife for everything. From opening letters to cutting cheese or tomatoes. Handle your knife daily, keep it sharp, keep it handy. make accessing it as natural as scratching your butt.

Great writeup there.

I really agree with this one:

"8). The point must be in line with your stab. A Cold Steel Scimitar of a Spyderco Chinook do not have this, but a Cold Steel AK-47 and a Spyderco Endura do."

And it is why I like wharncliffe style blades in fighting knives. I also tend to like reverse grip edge in for how I grip .I study kali/escrima BUT what a real fight needs (not the martial arts fantasy 'duels') is hard, ruthless violence. Wharncliffe blades allow hard stabbing and extremely efficient slicing.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 3:21:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If you want a "fighting knife" you want a fixed blade. No such thing as a folding fighting knife, IMO.

not true.

Emerson makes some awesome fighting knives.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 3:22:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Gerber MK II

End of thread

A guy I knew gave me one of the original Vietnam era ones with the cranked grip.  I eventually lost it somehow.  I saw a NIB one at the Blade Show seven or eight years ago: $3000.  Yes, I cried.  I picked up a 20th Year Commemorative, but it's not the same.

Jane

Link Posted: 1/23/2011 3:22:31 PM EDT
[#37]
How about one of these?

D&S Tactical Zeus Z1.

D&S Tactical
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 3:33:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gerber MK II

End of thread

A guy I knew gave me one of the original Vietnam era ones with the cranked grip.  I eventually lost it somehow.  I saw a NIB one at the Blade Show seven or eight years ago: $3000.  Yes, I cried.  I picked up a 20th Year Commemorative, but it's not the same.

Jane

That is sad! A vietnam era MKII would be a thing to be framed!
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 3:52:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Link

ESEE gives mil discounts... email them for the order forms.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 3:57:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link

I literally ordered it ten minutes before you posted that.  

I think $125 bucks shipped.  We'll see what the knife is like when it gets here.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 3:57:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 4:05:15 PM EDT
[#42]
This is my version of a Combat Fighter. IM me if interested.

ADW Custom Knives Combat Fighter
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 4:35:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link

I think $125 bucks shipped.  We'll see what the knife is like when it gets here.

You won't regret your purchase and that wasn't a bad price, but if the prices are still current on the forms I have you will save more going through them more often than not.. (in the future when the addiction hits)
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 4:40:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Bagwell bowie.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I disagree. If you are slashing instead of stabbing, the hilt is something to get hung up on clothing and get it jerked out of your hand.

The hilt in a good fixed-blade fighting knife is small, just long enough to help keep the hand from slipping onto the blade.  It also, preferably, faces forward to make it less likely to catch on clothing when pulled back.  I'm sure you've noticed in training that the blade is more likely to get caught up in clothing than anything else.

Link Posted: 1/23/2011 5:00:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A Randall 1-7, just a classic piece of Americana.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z120/planejanel/Photo-0147.jpg

Jane

That's a great looking knife, but I'm not responsible enough to have things that look nice.

My stuff just needs to be extra durable.  I'm not into caressing most of my stuff.  

Most of the time I try to see how long it takes to break it.

I understand.   How about a Fallkniven A-1?  Six and a quarter inches, VG-10, about a hundred and twenty-five, I think, if you shop around.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z120/planejanel/A1-web.jpg

Jane

That looks more like what I'm interested in.  I'll do some checking on it.

ETA: Does it have any serration?  That is one of the things I'm wanting on it.

I don't believe Fallkniven does serrations.  Opinions vary, of course, but many see little purpose to serrations other than cutting rope or maybe heavy cardboard.

Jane

I remember reading somewhere that cutting a throat wasn't like the movies. That the blade should be stuck into the side of the neck and worked forward and out the front, serrations being a bonus for working through everything. I read it, never done it, so who knows?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Well, Ive only ever cut deer and goat throats, but serrations are fine, as is a sharp edge; the thing that make serrations nice is that the tips protect the true edge in the "valleys" keeping them sharp
YMMV

Link Posted: 1/23/2011 5:27:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link

You won't regret your purchase and that wasn't a bad price, but if the prices are still current on the forms I have you will save more going through them more often than not.. (in the future when the addiction hits)

Thanks for the help.  To everyone that helped me spend money.....I appreciate it.

You guys never fail me.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 5:39:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 6:13:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Read this first ––> http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/knifelies.html

Quoted:
Read this.  I did not write it, I picked it up somewhere on the web.  Possibly here.

KNIFE FIGHTING POINTS
Ten Points About The Fighting Knife

1). The knife is always with you, even in places where the gun cannot go.

2). It becomes the first line of weaponry when the pistol is not available by choice, policy, inaccessibility or loss.

3). If things have gotten bad enough to need the knife, the use of the knife should be aggressive, brutal and terminal, and not "defensive".

4). There is a place for using a knife against the unarmed adversary if that adversary is younger, stronger or faster than you are...or more numerous.

5). There is a place for keeping them away with your edge, but there is also a place for closing and stabbing.

6). A knife worthy of combat carry should facilitate stabbing and be simple and instictive to use.

7). The more complicated and complex a knife is, and the more elaborate its system of use, the less desirable it is.

8). Conversely, the simpler the knife and the system and more gross motor dependant it is, the better it will do in a fight.

9). A fixed blade is more desirable than a folder, but a folder may be required in some applications. If a folder is used, the lock should be robust and not technically clever.

10). Learn to be violent with your knife

Ten Attributes To Select Your Fighting Knife

1). Sharp as hell and pointy as f***, you can't stab anyone or cut anyone with a dull round nosed blade. If this sounds vulgar, it is. There is nothing dainty about ramming a 3" piece of steel into a man's thrioat and tiwsting it as he fights to get it out.

2). Point in line with the handle. Upswept blades may be the acme of the knifemaker artist, but they suck eggs for ramming through a clavicle.

3). Long enough...but not too long. We hear that about lots of things.

4). Rough handle. Either G-10 or rough designed zytel handles. When you stab another man, his juices will get all over your blade and hand.

5). Solid lock. Liner locks suck. I don't care how graceful or cool they are...they suck. Axis lock as seen with benchmade or with Cold Steel is the way to go, or with an old style lockback design.

6). Solid opening method. This being 2009, and the "Wave" concept being as old as the pyramids now....a combat blade should have a wave feature if it is a folder.

7). Good steel. That does NOT mean stainless. I don't give an airborne fornication about stains on my knife...I WANT IT SHARP!

8). Again, if a folder, it needs a movable clip so operators may carry it as desired. The more I work on this Killing-focused system, the more I am liking reverse grip - edge in. That means for a righty, you carry point up- blade forward.

9). It must be cost-effective. Notice I did not say CHEAP. Cheap knives are for fags. Cost-effective means that if I decide to ditch it, I will not be heart broken to lose my special one-of-a-kind....nor will that special one-of-a-kind be tied to me.

10). There should be a boatload of them out there in society....like Glocks. Thus you cannot be identified or tied to the gear you use.

If some of this stuff sounds like it comes from the world of the criminal rather than the world of the law abiding good guy, it does. One does not go to a clean shaven altar boy to learn to cut a throat.

Ten Points About Using The Knife In A Fight

1). A fighting is knife is fueled by rage and ferocity, not by cleverness and showmanship. I recall seeing CWS go ape (or was it AMOK) on a knife expert we brought in one year. The best the very clever and artistic knife expert could do was match CWS stab for stab. But that was after CWS had stabbed him three or four times.

2). Learn to stab....HARD

3). Learn to hold the knife in a way that you will not lose it when you STAB HARD.

4). Since few of us go about with a 10" bowie, learn your targets. You may not be able to behead an attacker, but you can in fact rip out his jugular even with a 2" box cutter.

5). Footwork gets you off the line of the attack, but also gets you close enough to STAB HIM HARD.

6). The instant you pull steel your intent should be to stick it in his neck and rip it out a different way, and not to spar, fend, or ask him to stay back.

7). The grip area of your knife MUST be rough enough to stay in your hand if your hand is covered with blood (hopefully not yours).

8). The point must be in line with your stab. A Cold Steel Scimitar of a Spyderco Chinook do not have this, but a Cold Steel AK-47 and a Spyderco Endura do.

9). To train it, each knife must have an identical trainer (dulled knife) and a wooden/rubberized trainer (like Nok's). The identical trainer is used for technical and access drills. The wooden type trainer is used for attacking the heavy bag or the stabbing post.

10). Contrary to the advice of others, use your fighting knife for everything. From opening letters to cutting cheese or tomatoes. Handle your knife daily, keep it sharp, keep it handy. make accessing it as natural as scratching your butt.

Link Posted: 1/23/2011 6:16:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I have this one Gerber LMF II....but haven't tested it yet in a fight

Destruction tests Part 1, followed by the rest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL7rpJuCRWs  

Does this guy get paid for lack ass reviews?!?! it's uh...4.84 inches.............long...uh
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top